The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #151
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Benicio Del Toro Thread - Who Is He Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Even the Nova Corps rumors *are* strange. There's no mention of an actual, you know, Nova yet (as either Rich *or* Sam), and as for Rhomann Dey? Yeah, that's great that they're talking about the Nova Corps' own version of Abin Sur, which certainly paves the way for our Richard Rider or Sam Alexander; but then the rumor gets totally wonky by describing Rhomann Dey (an alien) as a *human* liaison between the Guardians and SHIELD. SHIELD??? lolwut
I have seen some descriptions refer to the Guardians as fugitives/ex-cons. Its not that wonky to have space cops involved, nor that strange that they held back using the premiere Nova character in terms of popularity. Who knows what plans they have for him? Even if they don't. they might still keep their options open rather than pull off a situation like X-Men that seems like it might end up with more than one Trask.

Quote:
The rumormill has gone totally off the tracks from an actual Guardians of the Galaxy story. The rumormongers are introducing all kinds of extraneous characters that sound like fun for the greater cosmic Marvel as a whole, but every single mention steals more and more of the spotlight from our title characters.
I don't understand where you are coming to this conclusion. GotG takes place in space. Unless Gunn was going to make a version of Sunshine where it is just the Guardains together on a ship there was going to be other characters populating the world for the GotG to interact with.

Quote:
Again, it just makes *more* sense to believe that most of these new casting rumors, if there's any credibility there, would tend to point towards characters who make sense in the context of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thanos, who is clearly the GOTG nemesis. *If* the rumors turn out to be true, then Gunn has put together a kitchen-sink all-over-the-place mishmash of Cosmic Marvel that doesn't seem to have any cohesion whatsoever.
Yes, the rumors are just rumors, but so far not a single rumor is that outlandish or left field for me to think that it is an out right lie or wrong. Improbable maybe. Surely surprising. But definitely not impossible.

I think it is unfair to assume Gunn is just throwing characters together without a plot. You can't use the casting rumors to guess cohesion

Old 06-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #152
HUMANIMAL

maybe it turns out he is just rocket racoons voice....who knows

MY FANART AND MANIPS
HUMANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #153
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

I don't get why you guys seemed confused that the Nova Corps will be in the movie. Marvel's been pushing Nova (alongside the Guardians) as one of their big characters in the comics lately, so it's not surprise that he'll be in a movie soon. GOTG will set up the Nova Corps and then Nova will get his own movie if GOTG is successful. Hell, Nova might already be in one of those mysterious Phase III release dates

Old 06-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #154
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I don't get why you guys seemed confused that the Nova Corps will be in the movie. Marvel's been pushing Nova (alongside the Guardians) as one of their big characters in the comics lately, so it's not surprise that he'll be in a movie soon. GOTG will set up the Nova Corps and then Nova will get his own movie if GOTG is successful. Hell, Nova might already be in one of those mysterious Phase III release dates
I don't think anyone here is saying that isn't a distinct possibility; least of all me. It's just that so far, we haven't seen any evidence of an actual "NOVA" (Richard Rider or Sam Alexander) yet --- just rumors pointing to Rhomann Dey (Nova Prime) and the "head of Nova Corps" (most likely Worldmind, or possibly Queen Adora). And what would be the likelihood of Marvel Studios putting *two* (let alone *more*) cosmic franchises out there, with a new Nova franchise eating up spots that might otherwise go to intro films for Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, Luke Cage, or any of the others out there roaming around Rumorville and Fanboytown?

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #155
SuperSAINT
Side-Kick

James Gunn ‏@JamesGunn
Benicio Del Toro just killed this scene and ate its heart.

SuperSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #156
Loki882
Side-Kick

Not to mention the increasing likelihood of an Inhumans movie.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #157
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

An Inhumans movie is at the top of my wish list.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #158
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm all for thinking outside the box, and saying **** canon, and agree that a dull character like The Collector could be blown up into something amazing, like Shane Black did for Aldrich Killian in IM3. What I'm doing is going on what we *know* about GOTG the movie and the MCU so far, and how very little the recent rumors have ANYTHING to do with that.

The simple *fact* remains that we're still waiting on casting news from several principal roles: Rocket Raccoon, Groot, and Thanos. I just find it highly unlikely that they'd start peppering the casting news with a bunch of roles that have *nothing* to do with characters that are part of the franchise mythos. And even more unlikely that they'd cast *these* peripheral characters before they'd cast the central roles.

It'd be like Joss Whedon announcing the cast for the heroes and villains of Avengers 2 --- by reading off a laundry list of Squadron Supreme characters and their villains.
So Diesel as Groot is still not offficial.
As soon as he started to say that he was Groot,
I thought that he might be playing Thanos.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #159
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

FilmInk is confirming that BDT's first appearance as "The Collector" happens in Thor: The Dark World. It's now all but a certainty amongst the reports coming out from those who have screened TDW that his scene occurs as a mid-credits stinger.

The exact quote:

So the speculation that Clive Russell *was* talking about working with BDT in Thor instead of "The Wolfman" was true all along. Also, it confirms "The Collector's" status as a "supervillain," meaning he won't be operating in the Guardians' best interests at all and will, in fact, be their enemy.

The Thanos Deception gets closer and closer.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #160
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

If BDT does show up in Thor 2 as The Collector then that just adds more evidence to the fact that he isn't playing Thanos.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #161
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
If BDT does show up in Thor 2 as The Collector then that just adds more evidence to the fact that he isn't playing Thanos.
The mid-credit scene of Thor TDW says you're dead wrong. Spoilers, if you want to know:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Sif and Volstagg are seen delivering the Aether, which is considered one of the Infinity Gems (called "Stones" in the movie), to The Collector. He says: "One down, five to go."

Tell me again what character collected all six Infinity Gems to create the Infinity Gauntlet....? :

Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #162
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
The mid-credit scene of Thor TDW says you're dead wrong. Spoilers, if you want to know:

Sif and Volstagg are seen delivering the Aether, which is considered one of the Infinity Gems (called "Stones" in the movie), to The Collector. He says: "One down, five to go."

Tell me again what character collected all six Infinity Gems to create the Infinity Gauntlet....? :
He could just be collecting for Thanos...or collecting because...you know...he's a collector...or Thanos could steal it from him. The reason BDT has multiple movies could be that in A3 Thanos takes it from him

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #163
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Why the hell would Thanos need a disguise? LOL

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #164
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
He could just be collecting for Thanos...or collecting because...you know...he's a collector...or Thanos could steal it from him. The reason BDT has multiple movies could be that in A3 Thanos takes it from him
Someone *other* than Thanos creates the Infinity Gauntlet, and then Thanos steals it.....?
Mhm. Right. Guess how *that* would go over in fandom.
The IG is Thanos' baby, all the way. Always has been, always will be.

As for BDT being a henchy for Thanos, going around "Collecting" for him: it's BDT we're talking here. Do you honestly think he's going to play second fiddle to any other actor out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Why the hell would Thanos need a disguise? LOL
So that the good guys think he's a good guy. He can lull them into a false sense of security, make them trust him enough to hand over Infinity Gems to him which Sif and Volstagg literally do in the TDW mid-credit,, and then boom, he's got a *****in' magic glove that can destroy all life in the universe.

Not that hard to follow.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #165
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
So that the good guys think he's a good guy. He can lull them into a false sense of security, make them trust him enough to hand over Infinity Gems to him which Sif and Volstagg literally do in the TDW mid-credit,, and then boom, he's got a *****in' magic glove that can destroy all life in the universe.

Not that hard to follow.
Ya, because he's going to establish all of that in one simple scene and they're just gonna hand over something as important as one of the gems to him.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 10-22-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #166
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:

As for BDT being a henchy for Thanos, going around "Collecting" for him: it's BDT we're talking here. Do you honestly think he's going to play second fiddle to any other actor out there?
How do you know what roles BDT will only play? C'mon ....

Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #167
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Ya, because he's going to establish all of that in one simple scene and they're just gonna hand over something as important as one of the gems to him.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Try using spoilers. I do.

That's the exact description of the mid-credit teaser, and has been confirmed by multiple sources. Volstagg and Sif turn an Infinity Gem over to The Collector at his museum, and say that the plan is to keep the Gems separate to protect them. Then The Collector says, "One down, five to go." Dudes just told him they wanted to *separate* the Gems, and he's still trying to *collect* 'em all.

I ask again: who would do such a thing, and to what end?
(Hint: if you don't immediately guess "Thanos and his amazing Infinity Gauntlet," you need to bone up on your comic-book knowledge quite a bit.)

Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #168
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Try using spoilers. I do.

That's the exact description of the mid-credit teaser, and has been confirmed by multiple sources. Volstagg and Sif turn an Infinity Gem over to The Collector at his museum, and say that the plan is to keep the Gems separate to protect them. Then The Collector says, "One down, five to go." Dudes just told him they wanted to *separate* the Gems, and he's still trying to *collect* 'em all.

I ask again: who would do such a thing, and to what end?
(Hint: if you don't immediately guess "Thanos and his amazing Infinity Gauntlet," you need to bone up on your comic-book knowledge quite a bit.)
My thoughts from the other thread.

I think Collector is indirectly trying to build a resistance against Thanos.
I don't think he is Thanos, and I don't think he is a villain working for Thanos. We got that already, Ronan. Think about it, collecting the gems? I mean, we know Thanos is the big bad, having collector as just a saturday morning baddie to lead in Thanos/teases Thanos/works for Thanos would be lame.

However, if the expanded a bit on The Elders of the Universe, and perhaps learn that Collector isn't as simple as black and white, and he knows the threat Thanos is, and does what he must to keep the universe safe, regardless if it's something that's good or evil, and maybe Loki, or anyone doesn't know this, except the Elders. perhaps the Elders could sort of be like, "The Guardians of the Universe".

Or..Collector will try to create the Freakin Infinity Watch

It could explain why BDT has a multiple film contract. Maybe, as I said, no one really knows of the Elders, which could explain why he would try to take them all for himself. Maybe he's seen Thanos like, destroys the universe in the future (cause Knowwhere is in the movie), and Thanos is already after them, and Collector is trying to take them to keep the universe safe...hell, he could be taking Adam Warlock's role.

With that in consideration, I'd say I think there's a better chance he'll be an old Warlock, and that's not happening.

Collector is his own character, probably has his own motives. Sam, your reasons for Collector being Thanos are so strait forward, and are so obvious that its reaching so much for proof to simple and sill, it's really silly at this point. It's not gonna happen, you should let it go, man lol

Last edited by jaqua99; 10-23-2013 at 01:21 AM.
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #169
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
My thoughts from the other thread.

I think Collector is indirectly trying to build a resistance against Thanos.
I don't think he is Thanos, and I don't think he is a villain working for Thanos. We got that already, Ronan. Think about it, collecting the gems? I mean, we know Thanos is the big bad, having collector as just a saturday morning baddie to lead in Thanos/teases Thanos/works for Thanos would be lame.

However, if the expanded a bit on The Elders of the Universe, and perhaps learn that Collector isn't as simple as black and white, and he knows the threat Thanos is, and does what he must to keep the universe safe, regardless if it's something that's good or evil, and maybe Loki, or anyone doesn't know this, except the Elders. perhaps the Elders could sort of be like, "The Guardians of the Universe".

Or..Collector will try to create the Freakin Infinity Watch

It could explain why BDT has a multiple film contract. Maybe, as I said, no one really knows of the Elders, which could explain why he would try to take them all for himself. Maybe he's seen Thanos like, destroys the universe in the future (cause Knowwhere is in the movie), and Thanos is already after them, and Collector is trying to take them to keep the universe safe...hell, he could be taking Adam Warlock's role.

With that in consideration, I'd say I think there's a better chance he'll be an old Warlock, and that's not happening.

Collector is his own character, probably has his own motives. Sam, your reasons for Collector being Thanos are so strait forward, and are so obvious that its reaching so much for proof to simple and sill, it's really silly at this point. It's not gonna happen, you should let it go, man lol
I've replied in the other thread, but I'll just address this:

"Sam, your reasons for Collector being Thanos are so strait forward, and are so obvious that its reaching so much for proof to simple and sill, it's really silly at this point. It's not gonna happen, you should let it go, man lol"

Who's "reaching" here....me, or you? I'm advancing a "straight forward, obvious and simple" story line based on one of the most famous stories in the Marvel Universe. *You're* advancing a theory that takes a minor character from the comic books and elevates him to a prime mover and shaker in the MCU at the expense of one of the greatest megavillains of all time, along with his trademark, signature good luck charm.

Have fun waiting for casting news for a major character on a movie that's already wrapped. Have fun staying in denial about a mountain of evidence that points towards Collector being Thanos. Have fun hoping Feige elevates a minor comic-book character to one of the biggest catalysts in the MCU, while simultaneously ****-canning one of the most famous storylines in Marvel Comics history.

"Silly," huh? You're calling the Infinity Gauntlet epic "silly" now. *You,* Jon, who are one of Thanos' biggest fans. Okay.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #170
Zarex
Side-Kick

If the rumors about the mid-credit scene are true, I'll tell you who I feel bad for.

Poor Taneleer Tivan. He's dead and his body is stuffed into a containment tube, right before he could even make one of his many scheduled appearances across the MCU.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #171
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
I've replied in the other thread, but I'll just address this:

"Sam, your reasons for Collector being Thanos are so strait forward, and are so obvious that its reaching so much for proof to simple and sill, it's really silly at this point. It's not gonna happen, you should let it go, man lol"

Who's "reaching" here....me, or you? I'm advancing a "straight forward, obvious and simple" story line based on one of the most famous stories in the Marvel Universe. *You're* advancing a theory that takes a minor character from the comic books and elevates him to a prime mover and shaker in the MCU at the expense of one of the greatest megavillains of all time, along with his trademark, signature good luck charm.

Have fun waiting for casting news for a major character on a movie that's already wrapped. Have fun staying in denial about a mountain of evidence that points towards Collector being Thanos. Have fun hoping Feige elevates a minor comic-book character to one of the biggest catalysts in the MCU, while simultaneously ****-canning one of the most famous storylines in Marvel Comics history.

"Silly," huh? You're calling the Infinity Gauntlet epic "silly" now. *You,* Jon, who are one of Thanos' biggest fans. Okay.

no no no, lol I am just saying that your reasons are silly. Its too obvious. It's a waste of a character. The Collector could really be an introduction to some sort of infinity watch for a gotg sequel

Old 10-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #172
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
no no no, lol I am just saying that your reasons are silly. Its too obvious. It's a waste of a character. The Collector could really be an introduction to some sort of infinity watch for a gotg sequel
No doubt man ..... Amen to that.

For the life of me can't understand why he's trying to Trevor-ize the whole Thanos/Collector thing.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #173
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Except Infinity Watch emerges *after* the Infinity Gauntlet saga, and the Gems have been removed from the glove and sent to separate locations.

Plus, Infinity Watch would be fairly redundant, since most of these characters already belong to GOTG; regular audiences would likely ask, why not just make the Guardians the keepers of the Gems, instead of introducing some more fringe characters (most of whom wind up on the GOTG, too)?

The MCU Collector is definitely aiming to create the Gauntlet. It's up to you to believe if that's because it's YouKnowWho, or if you think the MCU is going to start significantly retconning the IG saga.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #174
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Except Infinity Watch emerges *after* the Infinity Gauntlet saga, and the Gems have been removed from the glove and sent to separate locations.

Plus, Infinity Watch would be fairly redundant, since most of these characters already belong to GOTG; regular audiences would likely ask, why not just make the Guardians the keepers of the Gems, instead of introducing some more fringe characters (most of whom wind up on the GOTG, too)?

The MCU Collector is definitely aiming to create the Gauntlet. It's up to you to believe if that's because it's YouKnowWho, or if you think the MCU is going to start significantly retconning the IG saga.
But this isn't 616, as people say. The infinity watch doesn't have to be created after the IG saga. Think about it. In my scenario, Infinity Watch would have a much more complex meaning than literally "gem" watchers. If we see from knowwhere, that Thanos is destined to destroy the universe with the infinity gauntlet, then collector could eventually start creating that. Trying to take the gems so Thanos can't get his hands on them. Meanwhile, thanos is already on his Thanos quest. It could be MCUing the infinity sagas all into phase 2 and 3. Instead of it starting with Thanos weilding the IG, it would end that way.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #175
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
But this isn't 616, as people say. The infinity watch doesn't have to be created after the IG saga. Think about it. In my scenario, Infinity Watch would have a much more complex meaning than literally "gem" watchers. If we see from knowwhere, that Thanos is destined to destroy the universe with the infinity gauntlet, then collector could eventually start creating that. Trying to take the gems so Thanos can't get his hands on them. Meanwhile, thanos is already on his Thanos quest. It could be MCUing the infinity sagas all into phase 2 and 3. Instead of it starting with Thanos weilding the IG, it would end that way.
If The Collector foresaw Thanos destroying half the universe with the Infinity Gauntlet, why on earth would he try to create it himself...? That would be like trying to stop a runaway train by speeding it up.