Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #426
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
How much of a chance is there of an actual guy from Africa getting the role? I mean somebody that grew up there.
Wait for the movie to get greenlit first. Aftewards we can better judge the merits of having an African actor play the role.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #427
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
How much of a chance is there of an actual guy from Africa getting the role? I mean somebody that grew up there.
About the same as getting someone who actually grew up in Kansas to play Superman. There's certain things that just have a small crossover with successful actors. I can see how someone might give an edge to someone who grew up in an African home... but really, Wakanda isn't much like any other African country, afaik.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #428
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Ejiofor is hard to argue with. Now, if he ends up being the 12th Doctor he might be busy for a while, y'know.

But in addition to having all the fight and fitness cred MJW has, he's got incredible acting skill.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
MJW is an actual martial artist so nah to the bold. But yeah, Ejiofor is 3 times the actor White is.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #429
alexnyc
Side-Kick

Btw age is just a number dude and who cares if MJW is 45 most men these days who are in their 40's look and are in better shape then these young cats that swear they got it going on.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #430
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
MJW is an actual martial artist so nah to the bold. But yeah, Ejiofor is 3 times the actor White is.
Lol, true, not ALL the fight cred... MJW is a bit of genius when it comes to martial arts.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #431
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnyc View Post
Yo guys hands down the best black actor that i think that could play and bring out all characteristics of BP would be michael jai white. I'm surprise that no one here even mention him, i mean i like him in spawn it was a pretty good move for me don't know about anybody else. But um right now i feel that if marvel is gonna do this movie MJW is the man!. The guy is big and strong.....no homo ok? lol He's a martial art expert and he can beat the **** out of anyone. And that's what BP needs to show in order to be a good solo movie. Forget chestnut, though he's a good actor he got nothing on MJW. Snipes would be my 2nd choice but right now homie got some serious financial problems. I know hollywood don't wanna hear that **** and use someone like him right now for this movie......just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
MJW is more of a Blade actor. Hard to take him serioously as an actor (do like him though), if they made a retro Luke Cage movie then sure, but i don't see him as a monarch.

A young Hemsworth type is what they should look for, and fill the movie with the actor that should had been BP but are too old.
Chiwetel Ejofor - T'Chaka (in flash backs 40's/50's/60's)
Djimon Honsou - S'yan (modern/90's/80's)

someone like Chadwick Boseman (42, the movie not his age) or Tongayi Chirisa (Crusoe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
We agree with Michael Jai White. Yes, he's ripped, yes, he's a martial artist...but I don't think he's that good of an actor. Certainly not good enough to carry such an important role. Like you, I like the guy. But this isn't Spawn. This is Black Panther: the first (and in my opinion, the most important) Black superhero. Marvel needs to get this right. We've spent page after page in this thread going over why this movie should or should not be made...who will or will not go see it...why it will or will not be a success. All of this debate and conversation tells me that whatever the outcome, IF they are going to do it, then they need to do it right. Every detail, from script to choice of director to locations to casting to marketing needs to be perfect. Yes, that can be said about any film, but we've already gone over (and over and over) why this film would be unique, and somewhat challenging, as opposed to the other MCU releases.

That said, the choice of the lead actor is crucial. And MJW just doesn't come across as the regal T'Challa to me. Not to mention that he is 45. I don't know why that bugs me here, when Mark Ruffalo being 45, RDJ and Don Cheadle being 48 and Jeremy Renner being 42 doesn't (even though I don't like Renner in the role of Hawkeye, his age isn't the reason). I just think a 45 year old MJW is too old for T'Challa (coupled with my other reservations about him).

Where we disagree is on Chiwetel Ejiofor. At 35 (36 in another month or so), I don't think he's too old to play T'Challa.

Since his age appears to be your only reservation, I'm sure we DO agree on everything else: he has the talent (Shakespearean actor), martial arts background and the pedigree (son of Nigerian parents) to make the perfect Black Panther.

But, if they want to go younger, Chadwick Boseman works for me as plan B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnyc View Post
Btw age is just a number dude and who cares if MJW is 45 most men these days who are in their 40's look and are in better shape then these young cats that swear they got it going on.
Well, I acknowledged that I don't have any legitimate reasons to be concerned about MJW's age, particularly given the age of some of the other actors playing Marvel heroes. However, my contention with MJW isn't solely based on his age. My greater issue is that I don't think he's a very good actor, particularly when compared to some of the other names that have been brought up for the role. I mean, he's ah-ight, and I do like the brotha (enjoyed him as Gambol in TDK, in particular)...but, personally, I don't like him for T'Challa. At all.

Last edited by OnTheAir; 06-10-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #432
Ant-manic
Banned User

Chadwick Bosseman works for me. i think he has more long term potential as the Panther. Chiwetel should be in the movie. he's good enough that i think he'd benefit the cast more as a villain (look what Hiddleston did for Thor).

Old 06-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #433
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

i want Chiwetel in the MCU, i don't care what as, same with Djimon

Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #434
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
i want Chiwetel in the MCU, i don't care what as, same with Djimon
Chiwetel for T'Challa and Djimon for T'Chaka. That's been what I've wanted for a while.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #435
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Chiwetel for T'Challa and Djimon for T'Chaka. That's been what I've wanted for a while.
Chiwetel was so good as THE OPERATIVE and was even more physical in RED BELT that to me there is almost no other choice. But how far off is a BP film realistically? Would anybody be willing to see a non origin BP film where he is established as King and we never really get into his formative years or the circumstances of how he ascends to the Wakandan throne? Cuz Chiwetel will be getting on in years by the time all of Marvel's ducks would be in a row I think.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #436
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

that's why Chiwetel for T'Chaka and Djimon for S'yan

Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #437
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
that's why Chiwetel for T'Chaka and Djimon for S'yan
I hear you. I just have yet to see a casting choice that made me think that actor could pull the regalness, physical and dramatic needs of the character. But Chiwetel is getting up there to be playing a young prince.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #438
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Chiwetel was so good as THE OPERATIVE and was even more physical in RED BELT that to me there is almost no other choice. But how far off is a BP film realistically? Would anybody be willing to see a non origin BP film where he is established as King and we never really get into his formative years or the circumstances of how he ascends to the Wakandan throne? Cuz Chiwetel will be getting on in years by the time all of Marvel's ducks would be in a row I think.
Full disclosure, I am not convinced that we are ever getting a Black Panther solo film. I hope I am wrong, because I want one, and I wholeheartedly believe it could work. I'm just not sure that Marvel/Disney believes that. I am more confident that T'Challa will appear in another MCU film, most likely Avengers 3...maybe Avengers 2, if the reports of them scouting locations in South Africa are true. Therefore, Chiwetel Ejiofor stepping into the role works just fine for my scenario, as I assume he would appear as a fully developed King T'Challa.

But, if I am wrong (again, I hope I am), and Marvel does greenlight a Black Panther film, I don't need the origin story, personally. However, I'm sure that is the preferred route for most. In that case, they could use a different actor to portray the younger T'Challa, and Ejiofor to play the fully developed king/warrior. Or, perhaps they can de-age him digitally.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #439
kirbyfan
Side-Kick

Michael Jai White could easily play the Black Panther, and where does this total fantasy come from that the man can't act!

Obviously whoever says that haven't watched this mans movies!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #440
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

or they have and he hasn't impressed, my suggestion is Tongayi Chirisa. He was Man Friday in the underrated Crusoe series, and Miles in American Horror Story: Asylum

Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #441
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
Full disclosure, I am not convinced that we are ever getting a Black Panther solo film. I hope I am wrong, because I want one, and I wholeheartedly believe it could work. I'm just not sure that Marvel/Disney believes that.
Black Panther has been the most fan demanded film, I don't think Marvel could ignore that.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #442
Endeavor
Que bolŠ con el timbeque?

I don't know about it being the most demanded. But I certainly want to see it.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #443
tamron
Side-Kick

Quote:
my suggestion is Tongayi Chirisa. He was Man Friday in the underrated Crusoe series, and Miles in American Horror Story: Asylum

I wouldn't hate some of the suggested actors (Ejiofor, Boseman in specific) if cast as BP but Chirisa, imho, is as great a fit for T'Challa as Chris Hemsworth was for Thor.

Last edited by tamron; 06-24-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #444
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyfan View Post
Michael Jai White could easily play the Black Panther, and where does this total fantasy come from that the man can't act!

Obviously whoever says that haven't watched this mans movies!
Quote:
or they have and he hasn't impressed
This.

Quote:
my suggestion is Tongayi Chirisa. He was Man Friday in the underrated Crusoe series, and Miles in American Horror Story: Asylum

Good actor...I wouldn't be opposed.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #445
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Has anyone suggested Neill Blomkamp as the director for this potential film? I wasn't following this thread very closely when the South Africa/Avengers 2 rumors came up. I know Blomkamp's style is kind of gritty, almost found-footage-like, but I kind of like the idea of Black Panther being a political action thriller type of movie. But maybe I'm way off base.

I also think he could be a great Ulysses Klaw.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #446
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

I think its tough to imagine a completely non-political BP movie. Unfortunately, thats going to be the tricky part, not the action stuff. The film has to do justice to the character and his world (major changes from the comics are likely of course),appeal to fairly broad audience, and it has to do good business overseas. Who do you get to writer and/or direct this thing?

You would really love a young Will Smith for this, someone guaranteed to put asses in seats. There is no young(ish) black actor who's that big right now. So you probably have to go with a relative unknown. Also tricky.

GotG, in many ways seems like a cakewalk compared to a BP movie. I don't see how we get a quality film at this point. Not without a complete retool of every aspect of the property. But what would be the point?

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 06-27-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #447
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

You have to walk the line with this. Completely ignoring the politicial aspect is a slap in the face, but just focusing on it too much can get heavy handed.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #448
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
I think its tough to imagine a completely non-political BP movie.Unfortunately, thats going to be the tricky part, not the action stuff.
Just for clarification, what do you mean a non-political BP movie. You mean a movie where the fact that T'Challa is king isnt that big of a deal or what?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #449
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

For starters. Or Wakandas attitude/conflict/disdain/fear toward its African neighbors and the West may or may not be dealt with. And the fact that they have all this advanced tech based on vibranium - which they have a total monopoly on - that makes them a de facto superpower, except they're more secretive than North Korea. All that stuff, plus the issues of having an all-black cast. Or IS the cast all or mostly black? If Marvel inserted a white or even light skinned love interest, would that be okay? Race, politics, geography, economics, etc, will be in play the minute the project is green lit.

Even the kind of accent that T'Challa has will be an issue.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #450
roach
I am the night

Quote:
You have to walk the line with this. Completely ignoring the politicial aspect is a slap in the face, but just focusing on it too much can get heavy handed.
I think Marvel will ignore it...in much the same way that Nazi-ism was ignored in Cap...

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Closed Thread