3 1 1.02%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #126
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

I have so many mixed feelings on this one. Admiral Marcus and Carol were great and I won't knock Benedict at all for his Khan, his acting was great. But I HATED that they did Khan. The ending of ST2009 was a gateway to new stories featuring these great characters. But for them to just remake one of the best ST films ever simply felt lazy. Very lazy. Its not a knock against the execution per say, but I wanted to see something new. Maybe I'm nuts cause I love IDW's comics series with classic stories retold in the new universe. I also felt some really big story gaps. Why did we never get to see Khan revived? What were the torpedoes? (besides holding Khan's crew). What about the rest of Section 31? What about the Klingons? I want to love it and see it again but my first impression left me both happy and sad. Again not bad but so not what I wanted at all.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #127
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

I just saw this one last night,and I have to say I was very impressed!I went in kinda not knowing what to expect.To be honest,I was almost expecting to be let down.But I found it pretty riveting.I only wonder if the "novelty" (so to speak) will wear away on repeat viewings.

First off,Khan.Yes,Khan.Perhaps the worst kept secret since Miranda Tate was Talia Al Ghul.Benedict Cumberbatch was very good as Khan.If I had any problems with the film,it would be that he really isn't used to full potential.He isn't even the real villain.(Peter "Robocop" Weller has that role).I'm willing to let it slide.I mean,Khan and all his people survive at the end,so it's possible for a Wrath of Khan style return.

And the WoK homages,oh ho-they abound a-plenty!And I loved every stinking one! The reversal with Kirk giving his life to save the Enterprise,and the death scene was excellent and well acted.I saw the resolution coming a mile away (Khan's regenerative blood),but I still found myself getting caught up in the moment.

Carol Marcus was a good addition to the story and one I was most looking forward to.They gave her an interesting history,so I was pleased with that.I loved the Nimoy cameo.The rest of the cast was great.I still love Karl Urban's spot on Dr McCoy the most.

Some of the negatives I have are the same that could be found in the first film.(the Uhura/Spock romance,Scotty being played for broad comedy,Kirk's cartoony womanizing) but,on the whole I'm very pleased with the film.Hopefully it won't take 4 years for Star Trek 3.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #128
optimus2861
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
4/10 from me. It was humming along as a good 7/10 for most of the movie even after the Khan reveal that we all saw coming more than a year out. But as soon as the WoK ripoff happened this film just took a nose dive and really got me angry. IMO, they hadn't earned the right to retread this and I was actually laughing during what was supposed to be the saddest moment of the film. Anyway, I guess I should have expected no less from Abrams, Orci & Kurtzman.
^ That about covers my take. I was watching The Scene (TM) and just thinking, "You gotta be kidding me.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
They're just flipping around who's on what side of the glass and calling that original?"
The film didn't earn that scene, especially when they made it painfully obvious earlier how they were going to circumvent it
"Bones, what are you doing with that tribble?"

Nimoy-Spock was dead for an entire movie, and his return to life came about as a set of nearly-impossible-to-replicate circumstances.
Pine-Kirk is "dead" for about 10 or 15 minutes of screen time and his means of resurrection opens the giant question of "Well why the heck can't they do that for anyone who dies in this world now?"

This is a sorta-OK summer-action movie, but a very poor Star Trek movie that leaves me with very little enthusiasm for the continuation of the series.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #129
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

At least JJ won't be on the sequel. Maybe we could get someone along Nicholas Meyer's caliber to helm ST3. Someone who wants to tell a good science fiction story with this framework. Duncan Jones, perhaps?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #130
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

spoilers*

anybody notice the scale model of the Vengeance in admiral marcus's office? And that was Peter Weller? Amazing.

.. the reversal of spock's original sacrifice in WOK was intriguing.

.. So was Kirk hooking up with two Caitian women early on?

.. yay for Original Spock cameo! (where is new vulcan? what does original spock call himself?)

.. finally the klingons! I noticed no follow-ups by the end-- no full war after the Khan assault?

.. nice to see Scotty's sidekick is still there.. heh.. his style in wardrobe is.. courageous..

.. I wanted more follow-up with Spock/Uhura by the end... more intimate moments..

.. Sulu gets a taste of the captain's chair! easter egg!

.. a starship attack while in warp? Geez! I wonder if they'll do this again..

.. I wonder if the new Enterprise has some upgraded Vengeance tech.

.. a tribble! but just one? aw..

Dr. Marcus joins the team! neat-- next up, where is Yeoman Rand? Lt. M'Ress?

.. Khan frozen again! So I guess part 3 or 4 will un-freeze him, heh.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #131
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

The romantic relationship between Uhura and Spock is easily one of the very best things of this new ST reimagining. It actually gives both characters significant depth and purpose.

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #132
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I love the Uhura/Spock relationship too. And in this movie, it added to the emotional turmoil that Spock was going through. He was clearly trying to put logic in front of emotions because he couldn't deal with that sadness of the things he was having to deal with - the loss of his homeworld, his mother. It was too much for him. Having a woman he loved in his life made him fear death even more, because he knew losing her would be devastating.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #133
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I had no problem with "the scene" being brought back either.

As soon as Kirk went into the radiation chamber in this movie, I knew that Bones' experiment on the Tribble was going to keep whatever happened from being permanent. And they're sure as hell not going to kill Captain Kirk.

But Kirk and Spock didn't know that. That's what gave that scene its emotional punch for me. You had one who was never willing to make a sacrifice and another who wouldn't let himself understand the emotional weight of a sacrifice, both falling apart at the same time. Holy crap.

And I saw Wrath of Khan in the movie theater back when it first came out. That scene was (bleep)ing devastating then, and it's still (bleep)ing devastating now. Even though we still kinda knew back then Spock wasn't going to stay dead.

I had no idea they were going to revisit that scene, but when it happened I never saw it as a cheat. I actually thought it was a kinda brilliant.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #134
Blackman
C'mon Son

Finally saw this after waiting what felt like forever. Im not a big Star Trek fan I've only seen the 09 film (which I really like), Wrath of Khan (which I find overrated), Into Darkness, and probably less than 10 of the tv episodes.
In short, this wasn't a bad movie at all. I would put it at the same level as the 09 reboot or maybe a little bit lower.

The acting is good, the action is very well done, and on the whole I thought the script was fine. However I did have some problems:

-I felt a lot of characters were not used very well. I liked how tough and capable Uhura was and seemed in the 09 movie, but here I felt like she was bland and didnt really have much to do. I also felt her relationship with Spock is weak. Carol Marcus was such a meh character and I wouldve liked more Bones. I think they shouldve put him on the Klingon planet...why a medical officer would be there idk but still
-I actually didnt find it that funny. I didnt really have anything more that a few chuckles sparingly throughout
-Wasn't really that big a fan of how long to final climax in San Fran happened I wish the fight was a little longer
-And my biggest problems:
-I did not like their use of Khan. Benedict Cumberbatch did a fine job, but I was underwhelmed. Im not sure if thats because my expectations were too high or what. I didnt think he was a particularly memorable villain.
-And that fact the they used Khan at all kinda bugged me. Im not even a big fan of Khan but I was hoping that they would use lesser known villains or create original ones and while they did in this one and in 09, I still dont like how they retreaded by using Khan. I actually liked that idea of Gary Mitchell who is someone used in the tv series but not in the films and is no way as big as Khan.
-Also I think I couldve ignored not liking the use of Khan if they didnt have the whole Kirk dying, glass on hand, KHAAAAAAN thing. I dont see the point of rebooted/creating an alternate universe when youre going to replay and redo the exact same scenes from something as big as Wrath of Khan as major plot points.

Overall pretty good movie. Not quite sure what I'd give it either a 7.5 or an 8. Looking forward to watching it again on Blu Ray and I hope they dont wait too long to get a sequel out.

On another note: were people really complaining that much about the Carol Marcus bra scene so much that Damon Lindelof apologized?

Last edited by Blackman; 06-11-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #135
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
On another note: were people really complaining that much about the Carol Marcus bra scene so much that Damon Lindelof apologized?
I think it was just one blogger that made a fuss and it got blown up to something it wasn't. Even the apology was pretty half-hearted, and JJ made a joke about it when he was on Conan by showing a deleted scene of Khan shirtless in the shower.

I'm a woman, I've seen the movie 3 times, and I didn't find it at all offensive. In fact, having seen the scene a few times now, I thought she was even flirting with him a bit.

She pointed out he had a reputation, and mentioned Christine Chapel (meaning his reputation was with the ladies), and called him out for pretending to remember who she was. But I don't know...to me, even as she snapped at him to turn around, she didn't seem terribly offended.

We know there's a relationship, we know they eventually have a son together, so there obviously has to be something there.

I thought it was more interesting at the end, when she had joined the crew and told her, "Welcome to the family". Kirk using the word "family" there has me thinking that they will work David into this timeline, and maybe things will be different with them this time. Since this Kirk grew up without his own father, maybe he won't be as absent with his own son.

But again, I wasn't even remotely offended by that scene.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #136
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Saw the movie, this was a decent/good movie and my first Star Trek movie. I have not yet seen the first one or the older ones, but this one was still good and I was able to follow along. Khan was a pretty good villain and the pace of the movie was good IMO. I didn't care much for Spock and Uhuras relationship, but the scenes with Kirk and Khan were my favorites, especially the space travel scene, which was awesome. The computer effect were amazing as well. I give it a 8/10.

Last edited by MarvelU; 06-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.
MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #137
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

Just watched this for the first time on Bluray. An awesome near-perfect (for me) adventure with the SS Enterprise crew, and it felt so eerie! Fantastic and a great sequel to the first film. The main crew were great and so was the villain. Loved all the scenes and loved all the characters. What an adventure. I love this director.

It's a shame that he's not gonna direct the next one - hope the next person who directs keeps the same tone and make things just as awesome, if not better.

Ramsay Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #138
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I just saw it probably would give it a 7

Its better than the bad movies by a good amount but it doesn't touch the great ones:

Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country and First Contact.

It was entertaining, the ending was a bit of a retread of WoK except with Kirk and Spock reversed and a fist fight with Khan to close things out so it ended being more amusing/cute than really dramatic.

All the Earth sequences were very pretty to look at. Scotty was pretty good in this.

The tech is absolutely badly done in this one. It takes 30 seconds to warp from Earth to the Klingon border? The transporters are hilariously awful and you're just able to fly to Starfleet HQ and start firing without the slightest bit of resistance?

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #139
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

Th Confused Re: Fan Reviews (SPOILERS!)

One thing id say is this movie is clearly NOT a WoK remake..although certainly abrams gave mixed signals on this via some of the story.

Clearly khan lives..and we now have the proper set up for a future, more emotional film that finish the true story..

I liked the film over all..although i had several issues with it.

-As a big life long trek fan i feel the depictions of this new timeline somewhat cheapen how proufoundly advanced the ToS world was. Things seem more vulgar and gratuitous. I could elaborate on this more, but its fairly clear and self evident.

-I thought the movie needed a more elaborate space battle. No mutaru nebula..this is 2 FILMS IN A ROW with no definitive space chessmatch.

-The space jump scene was ok..but too similiar to the pylon drp scene from ST09.

-Not a huge fan of the klingon revamp..but maybe a post credit scene was in order to elaborate on them.

-Bones...in general was more a charicture ..agree with an earlier poster that mccoy deserves better.

-Sex and violence. Im not prude on either, but they dont define star trek..and they shouldnt.

In general the movie worked and had a lot of strengths..but with the above issues its only about a solid 7/10..and it probably ranks somewhere in the middle of trek films.

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #140
Loki882
Side-Kick

If Kirk has stayed dead, I GUARENTEE that a lot of people would have complained that they were going to rip off Search for Spock, just with Kirk instead. Also, this was a VERY different movie from WOK, that one scene not withstanding. Actually, after so many attempts to create the "new Khan" (Gen. Chang, the Borg Queen, Shinzon was supposed to be Picard's Khan, Nero was supposed to be Spock's Khan) that JJ & co finally said "screw it, lets just do Khan again, but put a new spin on him." Now, I'd like to see the Borg next.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #141
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

This was more like the set up for a definitive WoK..in fact during the movie neither Khan nor Kirk had any specific reason to be enemies. We've built more of this up now and a the raw emotion of Khan's hatred of the enterprise crew can take effect...especially now that Kirk has Khan's blood in him. (and possibly the fact that Khan may beleive his 72 buddys to be dead still)

We should get a good Klingon / Borg movie next and then focus in on a true rendition of a finale with Enterprise Vs Khan.

I do like how this series has chosen to dangle plots for future movies very thick...no doubt Abrams honed this in Lost .

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #142
Loki882
Side-Kick

I think the fact that they DIDN'T kill off Khan would indicate that we'll be seeing him again at some point. The only question is when and under what circumstances? Another thing that I really liked was Alice Eve's Carol. She was really good in this film and I thing that they've set her up to eventually become the Carol from WOK. Also, they've set up the groundwork for her romance with Kirk, should they choose to go that route. They set up a possible war with the Klingon's, they've set up a lot of interesting story possibilities going forward.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #143
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I think the fact that they DIDN'T kill off Khan would indicate that we'll be seeing him again at some point. The only question is when and under what circumstances? Another thing that I really liked was Alice Eve's Carol. She was really good in this film and I thing that they've set her up to eventually become the Carol from WOK. Also, they've set up the groundwork for her romance with Kirk, should they choose to go that route. They set up a possible war with the Klingon's, they've set up a lot of interesting story possibilities going forward.
Did you notice that Kirk said, "Welcome to the family," when he greeted her on the bridge at the end? That seemed almost like a clue that they'll be bringing David into this timeline too. And since this Kirk never knew his own father, I wonder if he'll work harder to make that relationship better this time around.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #144
Loki882
Side-Kick

Well, they did lay the groundwork for a potential romance. Kirk and Carol have met, been through a huge crisis together, they're is clearly an attraction between them, and she's on the Enterprise now. Why set all that up and then not explore it? Plus, Kirk actually KNOWING that he has a son from the start would not only be a new take on an old plot, but it would continue Kirk's maturation as a leader and a man, which is one of the main themes of these films.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #145
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Kirk knew he had a son in the first timeline, he just stayed away because Carol told him to. David was the one who didn't know Kirk was his father. He didn't know until they met in Wrath of Khan that Carol hadn't told David who his father was. Hopefully in this timeline, it doesn't come to that.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #146
Loki882
Side-Kick

Ok, I thought that Kirk only found out about David in WOK, hence his surprised reaction. I shall go watch it again to find out. In regards to future movies, Spock of all people shouldn't be the only one on that ship getting some romance, this is James T. Kirk after all.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #147
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Looking forward very much to seeing this again on BD, possibly my favourite blockbuster of the summer, saw it twice in the cinema, gonna watch the '09 movie and then this when I buy it later in the week.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #148
Loki882
Side-Kick

So, if I were to rank the ST movies, here would be my list:
1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (this is obvious).
2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.
3. Star Trek Into Darkness.
4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
5. Star Trek (2009).
6. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.
7. Star Trek: First Contact.
8. Star Trek: Generations.
9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
10. Star Trek: Nemesis.
11. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.
12. Star Trek: Insurrection (this movie is garbage and it makes me angry).

Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #149
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Finally watched it again on BD, in 3d as well, the 3D was great in this, and the movie in general is just really good. I have seen WoK but think its very over-rated, maybe because I am not a 'Trekkie,' but them using elements of it didnt bother me at all, I actually thought at points it was quite clever. Cumberbatch as Khan was superb for me, he was a really good villain.

The CGI is 2nd to none in this movie, and some of the action sequences are superb, although I think the finale could have been a little better. Overall to me the last 2 St have been superb, I am a little gutted J.J is leaving this franchise, they are by far his best movies to date, and there are other candidates who could have done Star Wars, i'd say there are even better candidates for SW than J.J, but whats done is done.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote