Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #101
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I just wanted to say...here's to Batman.

The other guy is about to finally have his moment, and obviously that's very exciting. But there is part of me that can't help but feel like this next stage of the DC Films is all going to be very Superman centric. After all, if it's Justice League we are ultimately building towards here, it makes sense that their leader would be the foundation upon which everything else is built. I'm sure Batman will have an important role to play, but I'm just preparing for him to be the second most important character in that universe.

For me it's a more bittersweet feeling than I anticipated. I've grown up in an era where Batman was just always the cooler character and the one who did all the heavy box-office lifting. If Superman is indeed reclaiming his "throne" as it were, the guy he is inevitably knocking off that throne is our dear Dark Knight. Or at the very least they'll be sharing that throne. And you know what? That's very cool. It's how it should be. It's just weird for me to think we may be heading into an era where Batman is no longer the undisputed top dog. That's how I've always known him and that's how I'll always think of him. He's been keeping the throne warm for Supes for quite some time now.

So, once more...here's to the Goddamn Batman.
I am actually quite happy to see Batman take a step back.

Firstly, without Superman, there is no Batman. Batman was literally invented to capitalize on the success of Superman. So to see the father of Superheroes take his throne back is, IMO, fitting.

Also, I like Batman being the underdog. That's what he should be. He is the atypical superhero. He dosen't have bright colors and he dosen't have a relatively sunny disposition, and he dosen't even have powers, so watching the atypical Superhero become the flagship always bothered me on a small level. Especially when DC constantly peddles out Batman cartoons and comics, and everyone else gets little to no significant exposure.

So yeah...I'm more than ready to see my favorite comic character take a step back. Not only would it mean no overexposure, it would mean that the rightful king gets back on his throne. At some point, I would like Bats and Supes to share number one, but now is the time to show people why Superman should be revered and relevant.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #102
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I am actually quite happy to see Batman take a step back.

Firstly, without Superman, there is no Batman. Batman was literally invented to capitalize on the success of Superman. So to see the father of Superheroes take his throne back is, IMO, fitting.

Also, I like Batman being the underdog. That's what he should be. He is the atypical superhero. He dosen't have bright colors and he dosen't have a relatively sunny disposition, and he dosen't even have powers, so watching the atypical Superhero become the flagship always bothered me on a small level. Especially when DC constantly peddles out Batman cartoons and comics, and everyone else gets little to no significant exposure.

So yeah...I'm more than ready to see my favorite comic character take a step back. Not only would it mean no overexposure, it would mean that the rightful king gets back on his throne. At some point, I would like Bats and Supes to share number one, but now is the time to show people why Superman should be revered and relevant.
I agree with all of this. I guess my post was just a way of saying that I'll always be a hardcore Batman fan through thick and thin. He'll always be no. 1 in my heart sorta thing.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #103
The Batman
The Dark Knight

^ Definitely. Remember the dark ages (the aftermath of schumacher) where most people in the GA didn't like Batman?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #104
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
^ Definitely. Remember the dark ages (the aftermath of schumacher) where most people in the GA didn't like Batman?
That's a good way of describing it.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #105
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

10 years ago Batman's name was mud. Now he's got what is considered by most to be the greatest superhero movie ever, and he's floored the gaming world with the two best superhero based games ever.

- The Joker
Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #106
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
10 years ago Batman's name was mud. Now he's got what is considered by most to be the greatest superhero movie ever, and he's floored the gaming world with the two best superhero based games ever.
Very true. I find it weird that I sometimes forget that. When I think of Nolan's Batman films, my mind is so often wrapped around what the Nolan brothers and Goyer did with TDKR that I sometimes forget all of the great things they did for Batman. Overall, they did far more justice to Batman than things that I would consider to be missteps.

Plus, the Nolan films are responsible for making Batman cool in the eyes of the GA. Yes, Batman was cool before the Nolan films in the eyes of the GA but unless you read the comics or watched the cartoons, he was more cool in a "Batman throws cool batarangs at the Joker and stuff!" kinda way. What the Nolan films did is introduce the complex psychology and themes of the Batman mythos to the entire world - the study of fear and of what makes people afraid, the study of madness and the psychological mind behind it, the relationship between fear and insanity, the thing that separates Batman from other vigilantes and other district attorneys, etc.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #107
kvz5
HBIC

A lot of my friends know Batman but they never really cared for him until Nolan's Batman came along (they REALLY liked how "realistic" the Nolanverse is and how these movies took Batman seriously) so yeah Nolan definitely helped raised the interest in Batman to the GA.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #108
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Two of the highest grossing Batman films, a memorable trilogy, one of the greatest CBMs(or two if you're like me ), two of the greatest superhero video games, a solid placement in DC's animated films. Batman has been strong for a while, but it's not a bad thing to say Superman should take the top spot, at least film-wise.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #109
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I wanna see Darren Aronofsky's Batman: Night of the Owls.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #110
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I could go on forever about how the Nolan films made Batman cool again and how much that meant to me. Before 2005, I know my friends thought my Batman obsession was kind of random and goofy. Like, they liked Batman, were fans of TAS, but they thought the movie franchise was a dry well that had no chance of ever becoming big again. I was trying to get them hyped up for Batman Begins, and they were cautiously optimistic at best. Then it came out and it blew them ALL away. It was such a feeling of vindication. For the next seven years, through TDK and TDKR it felt great to always have Batman as a major topic of discussion/speculation. It really felt like the whole world around me had joined in on the fun of being a Batman fan, and it was no longer seen as some nerdy obsession. It became everyone's obsession.

So yeah, we've definitely undergone what I like to call a "Batman renaissance period" over the past decade, which has spilled into video games too which is awesome. Maybe it'll fall back in the dumps some day, but I'm just really grateful that this hit for me at the perfect age (19-26). It makes me really proud that in the era of the comic book film, it's the Batman movies that are seen as the most adult. That's exactly how it should be IMO. I feel like this series gave fans the closest thing to an R-rated product (which I think we all kind of secretly long for) without actually going there. It pushed it as far as it could go while still being something younger teens can go see. A perfect balance of commercial appeal and artistic vision, something so many films in this genre struggle to balance. Ugh, I just love these movies so much. They meant the world to me, all three of 'em. I know it's corny to keep gushing but I can't help it. I get very nostalgic when I reflect on the trilogy.

At least we still have the Ultimate Edition release to look forward to

Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #111
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
I wanna see Darren Aronofsky's Batman: Night of the Owls.
That'd be cool but if we could pair up any director with a story arc, I'd like to see David Fincher's The Black Mirror.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #112
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
I hope we hear something definitive about this soon!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #113
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
I could go on forever about how the Nolan films made Batman cool again and how much that meant to me. Before 2005, I know my friends thought my Batman obsession was kind of random and goofy. Like, they liked Batman, were fans of TAS, but they thought the movie franchise was a dry well that had no chance of ever becoming big again. I was trying to get them hyped up for Batman Begins, and they were cautiously optimistic at best. Then it came out and it blew them ALL away. It was such a feeling of vindication. For the next seven years, through TDK and TDKR it felt great to always have Batman as a major topic of discussion/speculation. It really felt like the whole world around me had joined in on the fun of being a Batman fan, and it was no longer seen as some nerdy obsession. It became everyone's obsession.

So yeah, we've definitely undergone what I like to call a "Batman renaissance period" over the past decade, which has spilled into video games too which is awesome. Maybe it'll fall back in the dumps some day, but I'm just really grateful that this hit for me at the perfect age (19-26). It makes me really proud that in the era of the comic book film, it's the Batman movies that are seen as the most adult. That's exactly how it should be IMO. I feel like this series gave fans the closest thing to an R-rated product (which I think we all kind of secretly long for) without actually going there. It pushed it as far as it could go while still being something younger teens can go see. A perfect balance of commercial appeal and artistic vision, something so many films in this genre struggle to balance. Ugh, I just love these movies so much. They meant the world to me, all three of 'em. I know it's corny to keep gushing but I can't help it. I get very nostalgic when I reflect on the trilogy.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #114
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:

Very well said. That is the way things should remain even in the reboot.

The adult tone is what I love the most about these films. It amazes me when I hear people say that TDK is not a good comic book movie because "it's too adult" or "it's not fun enough" or anything among those lines. I can completely understand not liking TDK due to those reasons but that is purely a taste issue. To state these issues as being objective and legitimate flaws about the film is ludicrous IMO. What that shows to me is that there are tons of people out there who think that superhero stories are all about fun lighthearted silly men in tights fighting bad guys that are also in tights and that you cannot tell any serious or mature stories, despite the fact that comics are just a medium just like movies and everything else. These people are ridiculously simplifying the comic book medium and I think that they are partly responsible for the kiddish image that CBM's have in the eyes of the GA. If the fans themselves are going to close off comics to a genre and not acknowledge them as a medium, then why should the GA do so? The apparent fans do not.

On top of that, the tone of TDK is not some revolutionary idea that Nolan came up with. It was taken straight from the comics. The dark tone of TDK is something that is present in most Batman comics today, especially in the more realistic crime drama stories that take place in Batman's early career. There are even stories that are far darker than anything in the Nolan films, such as The Dark Knight Returns.

Think about the following. Imagine that the entire concept of Batman did not exist and it was something Nolan entirely came up with. Would there be anyone objectively criticizing the films for not being "fun enough" or "lighthearted enough" or anything like that? There wouldn't be for the same reasons why The Godfather doesn't get those criticisms. I feel that the stigma that comic books have is greatly responsible for those criticisms.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #115
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Very well said. That is the way things should remain even in the reboot.
Thanks. I hope that's the way it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
The adult tone is what I love the most about these films. It amazes me when I hear people say that TDK is not a good comic book movie because "it's too adult" or "it's not fun enough" or anything among those lines. I can completely understand not liking TDK due to those reasons but that is purely a taste issue. To state these issues as being objective and legitimate flaws about the film is ludicrous IMO. What that shows to me is that there are tons of people out there who think that superhero stories are all about fun lighthearted silly men in tights fighting bad guys that are also in tights and that you cannot tell any serious or mature stories, despite the fact that comics are just a medium just like movies and everything else. These people are ridiculously simplifying the comic book medium and I think that they are partly responsible for the kiddish image that CBM's have in the eyes of the GA. If the fans themselves are going to close off comics to a genre and not acknowledge them as a medium, then why should the GA do so? The apparent fans do not.
Obviously, what I'm about to say can't apply to everyone with that complaint, because some people just have different tastes. But I have a hunch that at least for a lot of critics (Baby boomers and Gen X'ers), the reason for this is simply because comics were a medium for children when they were growing up. It's something they remember from their childhood and they look to comic book films to adhere to that sense of innocence and nostalgia. Even though Batman has roots as a darker character, the Batman they grew up reading was nowhere near the hardcore and cynical Batman of the 80s. But, seeing as I was born in the 80s...that's the Batman I've always been accustomed to. If I were to sum it up, I think Nolan's Bat-films were a great blend of 70s and 80s Batman. There was darkness, there was cynicism, there were truly scary villains and weighty themes, but at the same time Batman remained a truly heroic figure with altruistic intentions. And I also want to just point out that despite the Schumacher years, Burton's Batman did wonders to change the mainstream palette when it comes to Batman. Burton set the precedent for a darker version of the character in the movies, then Nolan took that precedent and ran with it. There needed to be that progression, I feel. I don't know if the mainstream would have been ready for something like The Dark Knight in 1989.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #116
shauner111
Side-Kick

I just want to see the reboot taken seriously, stay dark and attract quality filmmakers and actors to the films. Something Nolan has done for Batman. You can say the first Batman had that, since Burton was so fresh and artistic at the time. Chris returned to that and added onto it for a modern generation.

Of course the reboot will return to a more stylized, fantastical style for Batman, but I think Nolan's movies will influence the next guy/s to maintain that serious tone. Where the psychology is explored, and it's "cool" to be a Batman fan. Something general audiences didn't seem to get from the early 90's to the mid 2000's. Even though the comics and animated series were kicking ass.

I have no problem with Batman in a number 2 spot right behind Superman. Hopefully these Man Of Steel movies are successful so we can see Supes & Bats at the very top of the food chain, together. It's never happened in live-action film before. When Batman 89 was out, the Superman movies were passť and looked at as corny. When TDKT had its time, Superman Returns was boring the entire planet. It would be AWESOME to see MOS movies doing huge where Supes is cool everywhere & a new Batman is kicking ass. In the video games too.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #117
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Even with all this attention on Superman at the moment, I don't think he'll ever fully reclaim "the throne", so to speak. Yes, he will see a healthy spike in popularity, which is awesome...and he should get the attention he deserves.

Sure, Supes came first and paved the way, but Batman (as a character through the years) perfected what it means to be a hero. He's infinitely more interesting, IMO, both visually and psychologically. And, to boot, his rogues gallery ****s on Superman's. So yeah, I'm happy Supes is back in the spotlight...but he only has a few more years to "reign" until the Batman makes his triumphant return.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #118
regwec
Shakespearo

The fact that Batman is enjoying a transient phase of popularity after the Nolan movies is meaningless to me. I have been a Batman fan since I was six, and I have never felt that I needed the validation of the faddish and half-baked enthusiasm of the masses. In a sense, the heightened popularity can be a negative thing, as it tends to lead to the product being directed at the lowest common denominator.

That may sound unduly negative, but it isn't meant to be. I am saying that Batman, Superman et al will continue to feature in great stories written by passionate people, regardless of the current whim of the 'general audience'.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #119
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
The fact that Batman is enjoying a transient phase of popularity after the Nolan movies is meaningless to me. I have been a Batman fan since I was six, and I have never felt that I needed the validation of the faddish and half-baked enthusiasm of the masses. In a sense, the heightened popularity can be a negative thing, as it tends to lead to the product being directed at the lowest common denominator.

That may sound unduly negative, but it isn't meant to be. I am saying that Batman, Superman et al will continue to feature in great stories written by passionate people, regardless of the current whim of the 'general audience'.
I've been a fan since I was six as well. I guess in my case, I just have a lot of non-comic nerd friends and I got a kick out of seeing them equally as excited for these movies as I was. Reading comics and seeing movies are such different experiences. Comics (and reading in general) are a solitary experience. One of the joys of cinema (for me), is sitting in a crowded theater, having the lights go down and having a collective immersive experience. Gathering round the campfire as it were. I really enjoyed being able to bring a whole variety of friends- fellow hardcore fans, casual fans and non-fans along for the ride with me. The movies as a whole were something I legitimately bonded with them over. Their enthusiasm for these films was anything but half-baked, let me tell you. I see a lot of movies with my friends- but only twice in the past 5 years did we wait on line for 9 hours for a midnight IMAX showing (and I made a couple of more friends with people on those lines).

To me there is a difference between having universal appeal, and appealing to the LCD. The Nolan films were mostly the former.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #120
shauner111
Side-Kick

Ive been a fan since I was 3 and yeah...mainstream really doesn't matter to me. But in the grand scheme of things, Nolan put Batman back on the throne. Now with film, the new comics and new video games, he's bigger than ever. Superman deserves that spot as well.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #121
Anno_Domini
Banned User

You know what I would love in the ultimate collection? This as a goodie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post

I wouldn't say it's meaningless when I too have been a fan of Batman for a long, long time(harkens back to Batman '89 before I even touched a Batman comic), but the fact that Nolan's trilogy hit home to even the GA when the name of Batman had put a bad taste since Batman & Robin, I find it incredible that films raised up Batman's popularity claim outside of the CB community.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #122
georgec
Not a hero

And this as a full fold-out poster.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #123
the last son
Side-Kick

That poster is awesome! Batman is really the only character I love and since superman sides with bats I root for him. So, in a sense if superman fails I feel Batman does as well. Sucks to see mos getting the reviews it has

Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #124
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
And this as a full fold-out poster.

I loved that. It's weird because it's like that was the start of a promising viral campaign for TDKR and then they just dropped it altogether.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #125
Caped Crusader
The One Man Who Beat You

Quote:
I had to really dig for this lol

Those poor Superman fans could probably use a gif of Supes flying up to 70 right about now

No seriously though, who cares about RT. If anything I think this surprisingly mixed critical response is going to cause people to lower their expectations, only to be even more blown away and perplexed by how much they like the film. We'll see though. Nothing is guaranteed of course.
hahaha I love that gif!.. As much as I would like to see MOS have a good rating on RT it's whatever. People who know Superman seem to love it, and that's good enough for me.

Closed Thread