The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #276
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Default Re: The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
I never read the original SENTRY. The premise didn't appeal to me, and what I have read of it in Handbook Bio's doesn't lead me to believe I missed much. The fact that Marvel, Jenkins, and WIZARD collaborated to mislead and outright lie to retailers and consumers about the origins of the character in order to sell it also forever left a bad taste in my mouth. It wasn't a marketing gimmick or half-truth. It was a bold faced lie, with greats such as John Romita Sr. and even Stan Lee if I recall adding in some two cents to it.
Ahhhhh, good old Wizard Magazine. They were so cool back in their early days before it became non stop puff pieces for the crapola put out there by the big 2.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #277
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Age of Ultron continues to be a pointless waste of paper. Easily the worst event Marvel's had in the past decade... and I enjoyed the first issue or so. So much wasted potential.

Avengers #13 and New Avengers #6 were awesome as always. Infinity might be the first event I've been excited for since the early days of Secret Invasion. This is all due to Hickman - the man deserves serious recognition. Between him and Remender, the Avengers franchise is steadily improving.

Thunderbolts should have been dropped a long time ago. The new writer (coming in a few months) has one issue to turn this (horrible) title around or I'm gone. On a related note, Secret Avengers was finally dropped.

StreetWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #278
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I've slightly cooled on Avengers. I'm kinda not into how Hickman jumps all over the place. From the New Universe people to Shang-Chi then back to the Garden sites.....I guess that's just how he rolls. At least the stories have been high quality. The only real blemish in his run IMO was the Shang-Chi issue because I'm not the biggest fan of his in the world. Plus, with Deodato drawing it reminded me of a Secret Avengers issue.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #279
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Deodato's not a bad artist
But for him to follow Opena, Hickman must've felt like he was calling in the 2nd string

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #280
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I doubt Hickman cared too much. Opena and Dustin Weaver left Avengers to handle the art for Infinity. I'm sure he gave Deodato his blessing. Hopefully the other guys come back after Infinity wraps but I doubt it. Marvel usually gives these guys a nice break after an event. Chances are they'll land somewhere else.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #281
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I hate the idea of an event having two artist. I hate any ongoing having rotating artists, but I feel like to do it with an event is just lazy planning and an overwhelming greed overcoming what's best for the book.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #282
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

It's actually 3 artists. Jim Cheung is doing 2 issues, then Opena and lastly Weaver. It's a solid rotation but yeah I prefer a flow when it comes to all comics, events or ongoings.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #283
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

It takes away the story's identity. I've been going back and forth on picking up Infinity and the artist rotation is actually hurting it, not helping. I'm still undecided on whether I'll be buying it or not. The only thing about it that interests me is Thanos and I don't know if he's enough for the $5 first issue and how annoyed I'll be at the artist situation and what will possibly feel like a partial story without Avengers or New Avengers.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #284
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Avengers #13: Another good issue at the Savage Land origin site. Hickmen has officially sold me on Hyperion and I really enjoy his paternal instincts regarding the Savage Land kids. Female characters usually take on a maternal role and become caregivers and nurturers, so it's actually pretty cool that Hickmen has made Hyperion an adopted father figure. I can't wait to see what Hickmen has planned for the kids in the long run. Some people have addressed how this title varies in quality. I would agree. With so many characters I feel like individual perceptions vary from one issue to the next depending on the roster. I've liked the last couple issues because it hasn't focused on Captain America and Wolverine, my least favourite Avengers.

X-Factor #257: Part One of the End of X-Factor. Madrox is still stuck in a demon form as Layla deals with a child attempting to bring back his mother from a hell dimension. It's quite a good issue that's pretty typical of X-Factor. It has the usual religious connotations, and the story is brought to some twisted conclusions. These issues are bittersweet because it could be the last time we see some of these characters for a long time. I'm particularly looking forward to the Shatterstar issue later on.

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #285
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Ahhhhh, good old Wizard Magazine. They were so cool back in their early days before it became non stop puff pieces for the crapola put out there by the big 2.
What doomed WIZARD, besides their frat boy mentality and ultimately inefficient way to manage a magazine, IMO was the Internet. Their heyday was the 90's before the Internet was as readily accessible and before it had so may well known and reliable comic news websites. Once the 21st century dawned and especially a decade ago, plenty of websites started rising to the fore offering more up to the date news items as well as strong commentary; some had been online since the 90's but got larger with the new century. After that the only way WIZARD could remain "cutting edge" as a monthly magazine competing with websites that updated events to the hour/minute was to have EXCLUSIVE news items reserved more for them, which wasn't a model which could last forever. Only as the mag started to die that horror stories starting emerging on how it was run, and how the magazine sometimes responded to creators or corporate entities they reported on. They run a decent con, but not a magazine.

I used to read it fairly religiously but when the price rose to $6 or so back around 2004-2005 it became expendable to me. I never looked back and was surprised how little I missed it. You are correct; while in the 90's it had a critical segment, by the 2000's it was mostly puff pieces and stereotype humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I'll agree that was crap, and if I paid enough attention to comics outside of the world of X-Men at the time it might have bothered me. Fortunately, I later borrowed the mini from my brother-in-law. It's still to this day one of my favorite stories in comics... maybe my favorite. Heck, it's probably one of my favorite stories in any media. Loved it!

Fact remains, if that bothered you then, there's no reason not to enjoy it now. Marvel doesn't make a dime on back issues, nor on trades that are out of print. If anything, you're helping the comic shops out.
For monetary reasons, catching up on back trades is something I do rarely and sporadically. If and when I do, the list of titles I'd rather go for before SENTRY is quite long, ranging from HELLBOY to some of the Waid/Johns FLASH stuff as well as, embarrassingly, Dan Slott's SHE-HULK. And that's assuming I had genuine interest, of which I don't.

Quote:
I've not read Blue Marvel but I just always felt like it was them trying to copy the Sentry formula. I wasn't necessarily dodging it, but I sure couldn't afford it at the time. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, though.

See look... that's called open-mindedness there. I mean, I could just crap all over Blue Marvel as a Sentry knock off at a time when Sentry was at his popularity peak... but I don't hold that against him or the series.
I've started reading many titles based on recommendations at SHH. Off the top of my head, examples include INCREDIBLE HERCULES, INVINCIBLE, Ed Brubaker's CAPTAIN AMERICA, and RUNAWAYS. All of which I didn't get when they were new and caught up on via trade based on recommendations. So I don't believe it is fair to label me closed minded just because SENTRY doesn't tickle my fancy.

Neither BLUE MARVEL nor Kevin Grevioux are blood relatives of mind, crap on them all you want. I hardly said the mini was Eisner worthy, just that I liked it at the time. If it's not over priced, it's a solid read. It has its faults but I thought it was stronger than Grevioux's NEW WARRIORS and overall I liked the character he created.

Quote:
Sentry was designed as a golden age character (early Marvel... that's golden right? Or was that silver?) and therefore he had a golden aged origin. For what he was intended to be, it was a perfect origin... no more strange than Spider-Man's or the Fantastic Four's. It didn't get all convoluted and weird until Bendis got ahold of him.
Eh, I tend to prefer becoming a near invincible demi-god from a science experiment machine explosion than drinking a serum. We all have our taste. Damn, we see 100 billion stories trying to duplicate the super-soldier serum, why not stories trying to duplicate the superior Sentry serum? Or even the process that made Luke Cage? Ah, comics.

Quote:
Wow... you really don't know anything about Jenkins' mini do you? The reason why no one remembers him is a HUGE part of the story, and it makes perfect sense as to why it happened. Before using this as an argument again, I HIGHLY recommend reading Jenkins' mini... because (and I promise this is not intended to sound offensive) stating it makes you sound foolish and uninformed.
I know about the forgetting. Like I said, I know the basics of the story. If it appealed to me I'd have long gotten it by now.

Quote:
So he's a rip off of TWO characters?
Hard to tell who came first. Both AMERICAN WAY and BLUE MARVEL got into the civil rights era of the 60's as core story mechanics which effected their leads. Each lead was a different character, though. AW was probably preachier, although I still enjoyed both.

Quote:
I'd be annoyed if you weren't right.

Though in Bendis' defense, he's greatly improved since his early Avengers days. These days he lets the story roll from issue to issue without having 6-issue arcs. I mean, from Siege on he's been more flexible with his stories and it's shown. Even All New X-Men hasn't been written for trade, it's just dragging on a bit too long before coming to some major conflict. Fortunately, it's heading there now.
I don't think abandoning an arc structure, one of few mechanics which kept him doing in SOME compression, was a good thing. That and reluctance to trust him on any character I enjoy after merely reading about everything he wrote for 5-7 years compelled me to skip Bendis on an ongoing this time. Hell, I regret AGE OF ULTRON.

Quote:
I'd say a lot of this is over exaggerated because most people, and especially the public, don't KNOW how many people Wolverine's killed. The majority of his early publication days saw him kill very few. Then when his past was revealed, most of it had been erased from his mind and he'd sorta redeemed himself of it. Then when he kicked it into high gear with X-Force, it was kept secret and only the team, Cyclops, Emma, and Beast knew (or found out). In fact, no one ever found out about either X-Force run before Wolverine declared it all a mistake and vowed to stop that direction. It actually wasn't until an issue or two ago in Uncanny Avengers that anyone found out about it due to the hints dropped by the Apocalypse Twins, and that story is still playing out.

Honestly, he's returned a bit to the way of the samurai and is being portrayed how Wolverine should have been all along and is the FIRST person to tell you he shouldn't be teaching kids... but he's stepping up because no one else was, and the task is changing him for the better. The rest of the situations where he's acting blood thirsty is due to horrible portrayals and absolutely ridiculous editors letting it happen.

Honestly, people should probably only pay attention to Wolverine from Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine & the X-Men, and Uncanny Avengers. Those are the titles that are driving his character forward. Everyone else are just writing the cliche Wolverine and destroying the progress Aaron and Remender have been building for years.
Someone, I forget who, dove into some debate about Spider-Man on the SHH forums somewhere I was scimming and essentially was offended at the favorable opinion of Gwen Stacy because he hammered in that SINS PAST was canon. The fact that fans and its writer hated it didn't matter; it happened so accept it as part of Gwen's character. It's ugly, but true when it comes to wide ranging comic universes with a gazillion stories like this. Until it's refuted and undone, it's canon. That is why poor writing and editing can be galling.

And let's be honest; Wolverine is in the position he's in because STORM & THE X-MEN or BEAST & THE X-MEN wouldn't sell as well, and you know it.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #286
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
What doomed WIZARD, besides their frat boy mentality and ultimately inefficient way to manage a magazine, IMO was the Internet. Their heyday was the 90's before the Internet was as readily accessible and before it had so may well known and reliable comic news websites. Once the 21st century dawned and especially a decade ago, plenty of websites started rising to the fore offering more up to the date news items as well as strong commentary; some had been online since the 90's but got larger with the new century. After that the only way WIZARD could remain "cutting edge" as a monthly magazine competing with websites that updated events to the hour/minute was to have EXCLUSIVE news items reserved more for them, which wasn't a model which could last forever. Only as the mag started to die that horror stories starting emerging on how it was run, and how the magazine sometimes responded to creators or corporate entities they reported on. They run a decent con, but not a magazine.
I enjoyed the humor. The MEGO doll skits they would do in Toy Fare magazines were hysterical. But yeah, like everything else the internet killed it. They probably would have lasted longer if they did solid reporting on current events in the industry past and present.

I've quite a few solid articles from them during their time. Their bio on Bill Mantlo including the hit and run tragedy was great. They also did some great dissections on certain plot mysteries like The Twelve or X-Men traitor.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #287
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
For monetary reasons, catching up on back trades is something I do rarely and sporadically. If and when I do, the list of titles I'd rather go for before SENTRY is quite long, ranging from HELLBOY to some of the Waid/Johns FLASH stuff as well as, embarrassingly, Dan Slott's SHE-HULK. And that's assuming I had genuine interest, of which I don't.

I've started reading many titles based on recommendations at SHH. Off the top of my head, examples include INCREDIBLE HERCULES, INVINCIBLE, Ed Brubaker's CAPTAIN AMERICA, and RUNAWAYS. All of which I didn't get when they were new and caught up on via trade based on recommendations. So I don't believe it is fair to label me closed minded just because SENTRY doesn't tickle my fancy.
I don't think it's closed minded that you won't try it, I think it's closed minded that you base your interest on everything but the story itself. From bad promotion gimmicks, to a quick wiki read, to Bendis' handling of the character. Yet, when it's a book that's consistently praised, you won't bother with it and you don't even have a good reason not to.

You, Corp, and your anti-specific comic grudges. How do you sleep at night?

Quote:
Neither BLUE MARVEL nor Kevin Grevioux are blood relatives of mind, crap on them all you want. I hardly said the mini was Eisner worthy, just that I liked it at the time. If it's not over priced, it's a solid read. It has its faults but I thought it was stronger than Grevioux's NEW WARRIORS and overall I liked the character he created.
Well, if Blue Marvel isn't Eisner worthy then it's already an inferior product to Jenkins' Sentry

Quote:
Eh, I tend to prefer becoming a near invincible demi-god from a science experiment machine explosion than drinking a serum. We all have our taste. Damn, we see 100 billion stories trying to duplicate the super-soldier serum, why not stories trying to duplicate the superior Sentry serum? Or even the process that made Luke Cage? Ah, comics.
Eh, to give Sentry a more modernish origin than what he could would dilute that story. The comic took place in the dark time of the late-90s/early 2000s while flashing back to various time periods in Marvel's history, each reflecting the time they took place. If anything, Jenkins' Sentry was a reflection of Marvel's printing history. For the Jenkins' original purpose of the Sentry, his origin was perfect. But again, if you're just basing the origin on an ongoing character, yeah, it's weird, but that's why I don't connect Jenkins' Sentry with anything else that's happened afterwards. To me, it's a separate reality from Bendis' New Avengers.

Quote:
I don't think abandoning an arc structure, one of few mechanics which kept him doing in SOME compression, was a good thing. That and reluctance to trust him on any character I enjoy after merely reading about everything he wrote for 5-7 years compelled me to skip Bendis on an ongoing this time. Hell, I regret AGE OF ULTRON.
Funny statement regarding the bolded lines...how could you really know about the first point following the second point? But we've had that argument before

And Age of Ultron... yeah, I regret that too.Definitely the worst thing I've ever read by Bendis. And it started so well, too.

And I didn't say he didn't write arcs (though he lacks them in All New X-Men for the most part), only that he didn't write for trade anymore. Take his last run of New Avengers for example. He went 6 issues to an aftermath, to a single issue story, to a five issue story, to a 3 issue arc, to a 7 issue arc, to a 7 issue arc, to a 4 issue arc. The point was, he doesn't write for trade... he writes the length of the story and then cuts it. Granted, sometimes it's a hair too long still, but he's greatly improved since Siege.

Quote:
Someone, I forget who, dove into some debate about Spider-Man on the SHH forums somewhere I was scimming and essentially was offended at the favorable opinion of Gwen Stacy because he hammered in that SINS PAST was canon. The fact that fans and its writer hated it didn't matter; it happened so accept it as part of Gwen's character. It's ugly, but true when it comes to wide ranging comic universes with a gazillion stories like this. Until it's refuted and undone, it's canon. That is why poor writing and editing can be galling.

And let's be honest; Wolverine is in the position he's in because STORM & THE X-MEN or BEAST & THE X-MEN wouldn't sell as well, and you know it.
His ability to sell a comic better than Storm or Beast has no barrings on him as a character. And yes, the crappy stories are cannon, but to cling to them as who the character is when it's so obviously out of character is silly. It's like Corp with Uncanny X-Force, or you with Sentry. There are bad stories with the characters. You could always go read the stories that actually handle them properly, as others often point them out, but you choose not to and opt to just continue criticizing the characters based on the bad writing.

My personal opinion... when someone has that mentality, they have no business commenting on the quality of the character or how they have been portrayed. I mean, when you ONLY focus on the bad and refuse to read the good, then what ground do you have to stand on?

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #288
slim_summers
Mutant Revolutionary

Hmm I can't be bothered to read all of the above debate but can see it's something about Sentry. So on that note, just wanted to say thanks to JewHobbs for recommending Jenkins' Sentry book - it was awesome.

Why am I posting here? Ah yes, I bought the book and thought it was great

slim_summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #289
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

You can post wherever and whenever you want. Obviously this thread breaks down into other topics between Wednesday's.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #290
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
I enjoyed the humor. The MEGO doll skits they would do in Toy Fare magazines were hysterical. But yeah, like everything else the internet killed it. They probably would have lasted longer if they did solid reporting on current events in the industry past and present.

I've quite a few solid articles from them during their time. Their bio on Bill Mantlo including the hit and run tragedy was great. They also did some great dissections on certain plot mysteries like The Twelve or X-Men traitor.
WIZARD definitely had their strengths and good points as a magazine empire, but overall I don't think they're a missed presence in the industry. They ushered in and promotes the "T&A" craze, and Zeb Wells and some other artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
You, Corp, and your anti-specific comic grudges. How do you sleep at night?
Usually on my stomach.

Quote:
Well, if Blue Marvel isn't Eisner worthy then it's already an inferior product to Jenkins' Sentry
I did walk into that one. Regardless, I think he's a solid character and could be good in a team book if written properly. I dreaded Bendis getting a hold of him, but am glad he didn't. Even if Ewing is an unknown variable to me.

Quote:
Eh, to give Sentry a more modernish origin than what he could would dilute that story. The comic took place in the dark time of the late-90s/early 2000s while flashing back to various time periods in Marvel's history, each reflecting the time they took place. If anything, Jenkins' Sentry was a reflection of Marvel's printing history. For the Jenkins' original purpose of the Sentry, his origin was perfect. But again, if you're just basing the origin on an ongoing character, yeah, it's weird, but that's why I don't connect Jenkins' Sentry with anything else that's happened afterwards. To me, it's a separate reality from Bendis' New Avengers.
Characters made as a part of the Marvel Universe always get firmly entrenched in it eventually. Heck, THE SENTRY was a beloved legendary hero forgotten by everyone. I agree that Bendis utterly ruined the character, but you can see how Jenkins lent him for use by entrenching him with a secret back story with everyone.

I think similar topics arose when discussing Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy lately.

Quote:
And I didn't say he didn't write arcs (though he lacks them in All New X-Men for the most part), only that he didn't write for trade anymore. Take his last run of New Avengers for example. He went 6 issues to an aftermath, to a single issue story, to a five issue story, to a 3 issue arc, to a 7 issue arc, to a 7 issue arc, to a 4 issue arc. The point was, he doesn't write for trade... he writes the length of the story and then cuts it. Granted, sometimes it's a hair too long still, but he's greatly improved since Siege.
Next to AGE OF ULTRON, SIEGE is looking like gold. Actually, I think it was Bendis' best event of the ones he'd done. By sheer coincidence, it was also the shortest. That doesn't mean I thought it was good; just that it was average instead of below average or festering buffalo feces.

Regardless, I hate to think that his issues with decompression have gotten worse. After 6-7 years I got tired of his style of dragging things out and never letting events or excitement interrupt a conversation.

Quote:
His ability to sell a comic better than Storm or Beast has no barrings on him as a character. And yes, the crappy stories are cannon, but to cling to them as who the character is when it's so obviously out of character is silly. It's like Corp with Uncanny X-Force, or you with Sentry. There are bad stories with the characters. You could always go read the stories that actually handle them properly, as others often point them out, but you choose not to and opt to just continue criticizing the characters based on the bad writing.

My personal opinion... when someone has that mentality, they have no business commenting on the quality of the character or how they have been portrayed. I mean, when you ONLY focus on the bad and refuse to read the good, then what ground do you have to stand on?
The difficulty arises when these stories that you advise me to dismiss as irrelevant to Wolverine's characterization aren't just obscure bits in MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS or a mini series somewhere. They're mainstream, high profile stories like AVENGERS VS. X-MEN or AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE. Or, even AGE OF ULTRON where Wolverine's shattering the entire time stream and meddling with reality itself. And it's hard to say that line wide events or major maxi series featuring high profile writers don't count.

Of course all characters have hiccups and inconsistent moments from sloppy editing. The Hulk is either a menace or an anti-hero sometimes to the degree that other heroes need him to clobber something for them.

As a kid and a youth I used to like Wolverine, but I outgrow him and got far more of him than I could handle. I'm a reformed Wolverholic, been clean for about a decade now. It does seem wholly arbitrary that he's running the school and Storm isn't. Wolverine also comes off as a hypocrite as often as he comes off as morally justified, and I also feel that since 2004, other heroes stopped being bothered by his abrasive nature and/or his violent tactics. Even in the 90's, other heroes like Capt. America or Spider-Man or the Thing were hardly best friends with him when they did team-ups. Now, much like Shrek, Wolverine's popularity has been institutionalized into the saga itself.

In "ENEMY OF THE STATE", Wolverine is possessed by Gorgon and the Hand. He attacks and/or kills countless SHIELD agents, Daredevil, Elektra, as well as decapitates Hornet from SLINGERS. But all these years later nobody bats an eye at how often Wolverine seems to be possessed and go on a killing spree, even recently when his body was possessed by Satan for such purposes. The Hulk was twice exiled from earth for such rampages. No hero, even those involved, seem to bare Wolverine any ill will, any suspicion, for such endeavors. Everyone invites him to Avengers BBQ's and all.

Meanwhile, Cyclops is possessed by the Phoenix unwillingly, kills Professor X and now he's an irredeemable monster. Nobody trusts him. Everyone talks about him in hushed whispers as if he's Red Skull. Not to say that Cyclops hasn't acted like a war hungry maniac for years now, but I simply find the treatment between the two fascinating within the universe.

Wolverine was once interesting as a scrapper, a rebel, an outsider. Now he's about as inside as Ronald McDonald. And I wouldn't have a problem with that if his tactics and many sins and ills and just the sheer lethality of him at least put some characters on edge or at least the heroes who used to lump him with Cardiac or Punisher like Spidey or Cap or the FF still acted that way. I mean, Wolverine once literally disfigured Ben Grimm for years; now they may as well bowl together. I always found it deeply hypocritical when Wolverine would judge anyone but the most savage of criminals. Granted, ORIGIN from Daniel Way added a lot of horrific stuff to his past, but that's there too. His very vendetta against Wanda was half about her depowering mutants and half about her granting him his wish and allowing him to remember his past - and realize what a horrific bastard he was for ages. He literally tortured a Vietnam POW and gave him the motive to become Nuke. This is the man who considers himself morally superior to Cyclops and teaches children. Now, I can buy Wolverine being a hypocrite to Scott; he's wanted to kill him (or at strongly reconsider saving him in missions) since the 70's. My issue is how other characters react or don't to Wolverine at least within the last six or so years, which dilutes the character himself.

I guess my issue is that characters in comics going from heel to babyface as often as they do in wrestling, with characters forgetting unique issues with each other for the sake of corporate cohesiveness.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #291
BoredGuy
Killing Time

The only thing that's a bit different about Cyclops situation than Wolverine's is that Wolvie's usually pretty mortified and remorseful when it happens, whereas Cyke has pretty much just been saying, "ahh whatever, pssh, it's not my fault! you can't blame me, I was possessed, nanana boo boo" Wolvie can be a hypocrite with a bad writer handling him, but at least he feels remorse, and then usually gets muderous revenge on the people who brainwash him. Cyclops' attitude since AvX has been somewhat childish and arrogant. Now granted, I haven't read all of ANXM, so I'm sure someone will call me an idiot for not having read one panel of Cyke being sorry.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #292
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

Read Uncanny XMen...it's basically nothing but one huge redemption story for Cyclops because of regret over his actions.

Brainiac 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #293
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I'm definitely in Dread's camp when it comes to Wolverine. Ronald McDonald is the best analogy I've heard regarding Wolverine's insider status.

Uncanny X-men is great for Cyclops. He goes on television and tells mutants and mutant allies that he will stand up for them and fight oppression and he's labelled as a psycho. Did everyone just miss the sentinel in Uncanny #1? He's definitely the most underrated hero in the MU. Yes, hero.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #294
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

Anyone else get Superman Unchained? I really enjoyed it. The first issue is promising. Not the best Superman book I've ever read, but better than Action and Superman right now.

"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
JTStarkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #295
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I skimmed Superman Unchained with a strong possibility of getting it since I've been wanting to try a Superman book for a while now. The price was an instant turn off, and then the fold out page just put it in the no category for me. So I passed on it. Likewise, I also passed on Savage Wolverine. I haven't been buying it, but I skimmed it and was just sucked in. First off, as a 90s X-Men fan I was just hit with all kinds of nostalgia thanks to MAD's art. Then I saw that Spider-Man was pre-SpOck, so that was cool. Then I saw that Kingpin was a main character and I've always liked the idea of his current role as the leader of the Hand. But even with all that, I decided to pass on it. I wanted to look it up and see if this was just an arc or an ongoing deal with MAD and Wells. If it's an arc I might get it, if it's ongoing I don't want to try it. Something I didn't like, though, was how "bloodthirsty" Wolverine was portrayed. I wish Marvel would freakin' TRY to figure out his character, though with Spidey being pre-Ock, I suppose this could still take place in the later run of Unc. X-Force. And lastly, I passed up Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't know if this will be permanent or not, but the issue didn't really do much for me when I skimmed it and it's already been toward the bottom of my enjoyment list. I decided to pass on it since my shop always has extra Guardian issues, and if something is announced or happens that interests me, I'll buy it later.

Now, all that said... I did end up doing something that I HATE doing and SWORE I'd never do. I bought a huge run of a title for the sake of testing it out. I ended up buying all the issues of Talon that my shop had (which was issues 2-8). I loved the Court of Owls story in Batman and this title has always intrigued me, but fo rsome reason I never bought it. Fortunately, I read and loved them. I called my shop and they're checking their neighbor store to see if they have 0 or 1, and I'll be adding the title to my buy list. I'm not looking for new titles, but I have recently dropped about 3 books, 4 if I do drop Guardians, so I can fit it in.

Now, on to the new comics I did buy this week:

Astonishing X-Men 62-63 - I don't buy this title normally having dropped it around issue 50, but this arc has just been catching my eye in the solicits. I went last week intending to pick up issue 62 but they were out so I just shrugged and figured it wasn't meant to be. Well, today I saw that the new issue was out, and then I glanced over and saw that one copy of issue 62 just magically appeared (likely from the pull list of someone who changed their mind on it). Hey, it was destined. So I bought them both.

A tiny bit of background here... during the X-Termination crossover between Astonishing X-Men, X-Treme X-Men, and Age of Apocalypse... Dark Beast injected Iceman with a Death Seed, which is what Apocalypse uses to create his Horsemen of Death. Now, that seed is starting to root. Iceman is subconsciously gathering all of his ex-girlfriends while also freezing over the world in an apocalyptic storm. He's losing his mind without knowing why, his emotions controlling him, and he's turning into a threat on par with the AoA Iceman from Remender's Uncanny X-Force run.

The story is pretty good so far, but I'm not sure what to think of the art. This artist was on New Mutants for a while and I was never really sold on it there either, but it isn't bad. Marjorie Liu, however, is just as good as I remember her being on X-23. She utilizes continuity in a variety of ways, referencing Gambit and Polaris' days as Horsemen, showing Gambit speaking on the phone with Jubilee while reflecting on their days with X-23, showing Opal with her son who was introduced in the Icons: Iceman mini back in the early 00s. She even remembered Annie from Chuck Austen's Uncanny X-Men run.

I'm only buying this series for this arc (or at least that's the plan) but so far it's looking pretty dog on good. It's turning into a pretty awesome Iceman tale and I wish it was taking place in a more prominent X-Men book. Instead, they're keeping Liu on the absolute last tier title of the X-Men franchise. Oh well. I'll enjoy it for the short time it's here and expect that it won't be referenced anywhere else.

Wolverine & the X-Men 31 - Last issue was a huge step up, really getting me exited for this story. Sadly, this issue was a step back down for me. First off, when the Hellfire Club was starting a school, I expected it to be creepier, or something, but this was just really hokey. And the new students were entirely uninteresting or just flat out stupid. The only interesting thing in the whole issue was Kid Omega's role, and hopefully that'll build into something awesome. But for now, for this issue, I wasn't really all that interested.

I don't know what their plans for this title is, but my current plan is to stick with it through the upcoming crossover and then drop it. That could easily change, but I've not really been into this title for a long while now. I've just been waiting for this story to show up. Hopefully it'll get better.

Uncanny X-Force 6 - This title is improving, fortunately, but it's still not knocking any balls out of the park. I don't like how Humphries portrays Wolverine here... at all... but hopefully it was just a cameo appearance. But I'm fairly interested in the Fantomex story now. Really, their story and Bishop are what keeps me here, so as long as I remain interested in those I'll probably keep coming back. That said, this is one of the bottom tier titles for me, so it's still on a leash.

Batman 21 - Year Zero begins and I enjoyed what I read. It picks up shortly after Batman 0 left off and we're shown the early days of Bruce Wayne's patrolling Gotham prior to becoming Batman. I'm interested in this story, though I can't imagine it going for 11 issues or however many it'll be. I liked it but I have a feeling it's going to get old after a while. We'll see.

Best and Worst of the Week

Best: Astonishing X-Men - It may only be a temporary buy, but this issue was very enjoyable.

Worst: Wolverine & the X-Men - One issue in and I'm already ready for this story to wrap up. I think Aaron had a fantastic start on this book but he's dragged out his story and overstayed his welcome. I'm ready for someone else to take up the helm.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 06-12-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #296
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Astonishing X-men #63: The Iceman storyline of a lifetime (since he rarely gets focus) continues. For the first time I'm actually getting a sense of who Bobby Drake is as a character, aside from the humour. Opal explains that his "racist dictator" father has given him huge insecurities that being a superhero exacerbates. Apparently Bobby has days where's depressed but covers it and uses his humour as a distraction. This story sees Bobby giving in to his darker desires and using his "omega level" powers to pretty awesome effect in order to take over the world. I am a little sick of X-men going dark, and I've actually always liked Bobby for being a "safe" character. Someone who's a decent human being without a lot of drama. But I'm still liking the writing here and the focus on Iceman is needed among the X-titles. Kitty is also great here. I have to say, she is probably one of the best X-men right now. Between ANXM, X-men, and Astonishing she's really shining. I think I'll continue with Astonishing for a while since Liu has such a good grasp on the character's she's writing.

Guardians of the Galaxy #3: Over half this issue doesn't even feature the Guardians, and three issues in I still have no sense of their team dynamic, purpose, or personalities, other than liking violence. I was interested in some of the characters, like Gamora, but I don't have a single reason to like these crazy blood thirsty psychopaths in space. I hate Rocket Racoon. Seriously, his catchphrase is "blam, murdered you!" Is Bendis dropping the ball on this title or are the Guardians usually like this? I'm probably going to drop this after it crosses over with ANXM because I'm really not enjoying it.

Thor God of Thunder #9: Flawless.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #297
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I honestly felt that Guardians of the Galaxy was a little over-hyped back when DnA were writing it, and I think Bendis is about keeping on par with how they did. It's not bad, but not anything groundbreaking either.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #298
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

A little late but I just got around to reading Superman #20. The story itself was decent, but the art I absolutely loved. I can't say I recall reading anything drawn by Aaron Kuder before, but to me has a big Chris Burnham thing going on, which works for me. Both their styles are very fun, and fits Superman perfectly.

EDIT: Pretty soon I'll be all caught up with my digital titles, and will be reading books as they come out.

"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
JTStarkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #299
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I haven't read a damn thing yet I've been so busy.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #300
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I hear ya RB, plus I'm so poor, my pull list is down to 2 now: Thor, and W&TXM
I did like Wood's X-Men#1 though, so that may replace W&tXM