1 3 0.66%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #76
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
well, u need bad guy in a superhero movie. but ZOd is with mission and vision. unlike the avengers.
I'm not saying you don't. It's just that some depth was lost for the sake of his function, when there should have been more of it. Again, he said it all, but the film should have let us feel it more.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #77
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Extended Cut Blu Ray. Zack Snyder's known for it.
I'm curious, did you like it J?

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #78
Liam_H
Side-Kick

This movie frustrated the hell out of me. Uggghhh.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #79
JayJustROTFL
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
This movie frustrated the hell out of me. Uggghhh.
How so ?

JayJustROTFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #80
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I'm tired right now sinces it like 3 AM over here so to keep it short. There were snippets and parts that were good/great but as a whole the movie just didn't work for me. Especially the first half.

Spill

Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #81
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
and how about General Zod? he was written so much better than STM n SII.
i think General Zod is a tragic character. he did all he can to protect Krypton... and then went all the way to find clark to revive Krypton. and he failed in the end.
somehow i feel sorry for him. when he realised that he had failed and left alone. the frustration and the anger...

the ending is so emotional for me... i almost cried for him. lol
Your the first to say what I been thinking since seeing the movie. There were a few times I actually started to feel sorry for Zod, even when he tells Sups that there is not a day that goes by to where he dont regret and feel bad about what happened between him and Jor-El, and especially at the end. Zod actually seems rational most the movie, he just has a mission he believes deeply in. So yea, I def felt for him.

"But there is nothing wrong with making a film about him a bit edgier and less corny."
EtherMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #82
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Man of Steel meet Lee Smith's editorial wizardry. Lee Smith's editorial wizardry please bring out your wand and get to work.

As a first cut it would've been great but by God it needed some good editing to make it more cohesive and less tedious.

The character moments were fantastic but the action scenes were just way too long.

There was also other plot elements that were just downright odd. He gets the Jor-El speech about guiding humans but does nothing until Zod turns up.

Following that Zod realizes he needs to kill Clark for the super-dna but doesn't actually go looking for him OR place any defensive sentries around the World Engine.

A combination of plot holes and shoddy editing means the film doesn't hold its own amongst other origin films like Iron Man or Batman Begins.

It's reasonably better than other films out there due to the grandiose nature of events at play and the fact that's it Superman, but otherwise there's little that got me excited. I'd watch the film again because it's Superman but if it wasn't, I wouldn't give it another shot.

7 on 10 because it's Superman and thanks to the actors holding up the film. I can't bear to think what would've happened if those two elements weren't involved.

Oh and the score fit in much better than I thought it would.

Last edited by BlueLantern; 06-14-2013 at 06:15 AM.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #83
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Extended Cut Blu Ray. Zack Snyder's known for it.
I haven't read Scott's review yet but it appears he and I do agree.

Spill

Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #84
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I'm curious, did you like it J?
See it yet Spidey?

Autonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #85
Kalonthar

I was going to give it a 9, but the action in the movie makes me overlook flaws to bump it to a 10. Is it the best movie ever made? Far from it. Is it my favorite movie? You bet.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #86
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

9/10

top 5 comic book film for me

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #87
Blake II
Banned User

I hate how they have extended cuts when it comes out for blu-ray. Why not just put the whole damn movie when it comes out in theater?

This movie lacked a lot when it came to depth. It should have been longer so it can add more depth into the characters.

The action scenes were perfect however, much better than those seen in the Avengers. Wow, I was really astonished by the action scenes in MoS. Avengers is still better than it though just because of the amount of depth leading up to and in the movie The Avengers.

Blake II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #88
Ghost Repeater
Side-Kick

My opinion is liable to change after a 2nd viewing today, but I can't give it more than 7/10 stars. It has me very excited to see Cavill in the suit again, but there was too much lacking in this movie for me to give it more than 7 stars.

As for where it ranks beside other CBMs, that's hard. Since it's a Superman movie, it's special to me in a way that no other CBM can be. However, purely as a movie, I don't think it's as good as TDK, Sin City, the Crow, Watchmen, or Blade.

I would put it on a par with Batman Begins and the Amazing Spiderman.

Ghost Repeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #89
Superman Prime

I'll see it again within the next couple of days. My score may change, but I doubt significantly.

7.4/10.

Over 7, but not quite enough to round it up to 8 on an integer scale.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #90
DCW
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
9/10

top 5 comic book film for me
Same for me, I loved it!

DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #91
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
I'm tired right now sinces it like 3 AM over here so to keep it short. There were snippets and parts that were good/great but as a whole the movie just didn't work for me. Especially the first half.
Same here, although it didn't frustrate me THAT much. I just would have liked to see them push the character moments more. The flashbacks came too quickly, and they touch on all the things you're supposed to know about everybody, but I didn't exactly feel it as much as I was probably supposed to.

They went 90% of the way though, so it was just something more I'd like to see. Wasn't nearly as frustrating for me as watching SR, that's for sure.

Man, there was a f***-ton of destruction in this movie! It even got a bit tiring for me at the end, the post-climax climactic fight with Zod (once you've destroyed one third of Metropolis, I suppose another third doesn't matter much...) but then they'd show Henry's face and everything was aaaall right.

I didn't mind that they didn't show him saving people all the time. Supes was clearly outclassed by Zod and Faora fighting-wise, so I bought that he was mostly trying not to get his ass kicked.

I liked Lois in the very beginning, but once she gets googly-eyed with Clark, she loses her motivation as a hardened reporter and gets relegated to his trusty sidekick instead. I'd like to see more hardened, intrepid reporter in the sequels. I think the foundations are there though.

Loved what we saw of all of Clark's parents, but again, needed just a tad more nudging!

I'm bagging on this movie, but I liked it in general. It was uneven, sure, but it was gleeful. You can tell the filmmakers loved Superman, and wanted to show the world why he was so awesome. Artists like that always get kudos from me.

I'd probably give an 7.5/10.

Hilariously, my favorite part I think most people would consider throwaway:

Quote:
[Supes has just destroyed a drone and crashed it right in front of General Swanwick's path]
Swanwick: That's a $12 million surveillance drone!
Supes: Was.

I dunno, I just thought it was great that Clark, instead of hiding and being scared of discovery all his life, has turned into this, "I am what I am, take or leave it" kind of person.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #92
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
I hate how they have extended cuts when it comes out for blu-ray. Why not just put the whole damn movie when it comes out in theater?

This movie lacked a lot when it came to depth. It should have been longer so it can add more depth into the characters.

The action scenes were perfect however, much better than those seen in the Avengers. Wow, I was really astonished by the action scenes in MoS. Avengers is still better than it though just because of the amount of depth leading up to and in the movie The Avengers.
Extended cuts aren't always a good thing either. Many times you can see why it was a good decision to cut something because of pacing and other things. More isn't always better.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #93
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
I'll see it again within the next couple of days. My score may change, but I doubt significantly.

7.4/10.

Over 7, but not quite enough to round it up to 8 on an integer scale.
.4? Hehe I agree though.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #94
mace1
Side-Kick

You guys are ranking it too high,the critics did not rank it that high, so why are guys doing it?you suppose to listen to critics,don't you know?You suppose give it a 59% not 70% and up.

Only kidding.

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #95
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

6/10 for me. I really got into it at moments, but the first act was very choppy and the pacing really threw me off. A lot of things I didn't like, but a lot of things I loved. Action is the best we've ever seen from a superhero movie, bar none.

"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #96
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Loved the movie, absolutely loved it. 9/10 for me. Not perfect, but still goes in my top 5 favorite cbm. My personal rankings

Avengers
Iron Man
Man of Steel
The Dark Knight
Iron Man 3

As far as action goes, imo, with the exception of the Avengers, it blows any other cbm out of the water, on par with the Avengers.

_PART I____PART II
MAY 2018__MAY 2019
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #97
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

This movie is getting huge praise amongst the board members.

"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #98
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
This movie is getting huge praise amongst the board members.
Maybe. There are plenty on the other side like you and I though just not as vocal.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #99
JOE
____#BringHomeSpidey____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonet View Post
Maybe. There are plenty on the other side like you and I though just not as vocal.
For the fear of starting a war. We must reside in silence...

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #100
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

This gets a generous 7 from me, never thought I would see the day when I would care more about Jorel than Kalel. The krypton opener in this movie was amazing after that things started falling apart.

LordofhouseEl is offline   Reply With Quote