2 1 0.22%
1 3 0.67%
Voters: 446. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #101
sf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

Haha... some complaint the krpyton scenes were too much n mdssy. Lol

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #102
TheCardPlayer
Side-Kick

I'm not a massive Supes buff and barely know the character outside the movies so, in the light that, I freaking loved this movie. Not much else to say. Top 5 best comic movies of all time by a wiiide margin. I found it emotionally rich and it had the best action in a movie like this, even eclipsing The Avengers's finale. Michael Shannon killed it. One of the most fearsome and yet, tragic comic book villains ever. And Faora is one of the top coolest "evil chicks" ever in a movie. Damn. She wrecked so much a**!

TheCardPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #103
RoboAmish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
This movie is getting huge praise amongst the board members.
I'm not trying to devalue anyone's opinion but... it's always like this when something new and shiny comes along.

We'll see if people still have the same opinion in a few weeks or months after they think on it.

RoboAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #104
Mr. Thing
HAHAHAHA no.

7/10.

It ticked the boxes. It done what it needed to do.

But the pacing and editing were a bit off. The film seemed a bit out of balance. I would have liked it if it spent some more time developing Clark as a character, rather than rushing him into action sequences.

Excited for a sequel though. It's a good starting point for a new Superman series.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #105
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Haha... some complaint the krpyton scenes were too much n mdssy. Lol
I didn't think they were , probably one of the best parts in the movie.

LordofhouseEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #106
TheCardPlayer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAmish View Post
I'm not trying to devalue anyone's opinion but... it's always like this when something new and shiny comes along.

We'll see if people still have the same opinion in a few weeks or months after they think on it.
You are saying that people who liked the movie are incapable of correctly forming their own thoughts and will come to your side eventually. You ARE devaluating opinions and it's infuriating.

If you can't even comprehend people not agreeing with you, I want nothing to do with you and frankly, you aren't adding anything to any discussion.

TheCardPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #107
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardPlayer View Post
You are saying that people who liked the movie are incapable of correctly forming their own thoughts and will come to your side eventually. You ARE devaluating opinions and it's infuriating.

If you can't even comprehend people not agreeing with you, I want nothing to do with you and frankly, you aren't adding anything to any discussion.
Soon they will join us in the sun.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #108
Project862006
Banned User

haven't seen it yet but i know the pacing wont bother me you know why because i loved watchmen and that was filled with flashbacks and stopped the plot and took 20 minutes to tell Manhattan's origins lol

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #109
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
I didn't think they were , probably one of the best parts in the movie.
I like Krypton. Only part I didn't was that Zod was sentenced, then 5 min later the planet exploded...it made it feel like there was no point in sentencing him.

Autonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #110
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
haven't seen it yet but i know the pacing wont bother me you know why because i loved watchmen and that was filled with flashbacks and stopped the plot and took 20 minutes to tell Manhattan's origins lol
It's not that it's flashbacks, they are just really short and not complete. Hard to describe. This movie could've done with a 20 minute long flashback. In total they might be 15m all together...

Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #111
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonet View Post
I like Krypton. Only part I didn't was that Zod was sentenced, then 5 min later the planet exploded...it made it feel like there was no point in sentencing him.
Do u know when will u die? The date n time?

Last edited by sf2; 06-14-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #112
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's not that it's flashbacks, they are just really short and not complete. Hard to describe. This movie could've done with a 20 minute long flashback. In total they might be 15m all together...
Then u might complain it is too boring, too dragging. They should make it tight.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #113
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Do u know when will u die?
So Jorel and Zod know and that's it? Even if it was "anytime in the next two weeks" it still kinda negates sentencing Zod.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #114
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

7/10

Would've been higher if Snyder had pruned and tweaked the flashback scenes around for maximum effect like Nolan had. And as much as I like Hans Zimmer, his score for the movie was extremely repetitive... not as varied or memorable as his first two Batman scores.

And the cinematography is very good for the most part... but I hope Snyder brings back Larry Fong to film the sequel. Seemed like Snyder and Amir Mokri were almost too scared of featuring saturated, primary colors. That wasn't the case with 300 and Watchmen.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #115
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
So Jorel and Zod know and that's it? Even if it was "anytime in the next two weeks" it still kinda negates sentencing Zod.
krypton has rules, a code and a culture should they just throw it to the side

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #116
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
krypton has rules, a code and a culture should they just throw it to the side
If the entire race is being wiped out? Probably.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #117
RoboAmish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardPlayer View Post

Certainly not trying to insult anyone.

And I'm sure a large number of opinions, yours included are probably valid. For the record, I liked the film well enough. I've just seen this often enough where large swatches will declare this as the best thing since sliced bread and then revise their opinion as time goes along. It happens... hell, it's happened to me in the past.

I just find it hard to judge what the consensus of a film like this is at this early time. Needs time to settle and more viewings to ascertain where in the superhero movie pantheon it belongs. I'm glad people enjoyed it, as I say, I found it enjoyable enough.

RoboAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #118
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just like weather forecast. U know but not exactly sure. They have full confidence intheir guess time. That's it.

Anyway I have my little wish list too. How they should have done it a slightly different way which would have make the film so much better. But it won't hamper me to see this is a great film with solid storyline.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #119
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

You will believe that (Super) man can punch.

8/10.

Don't believe Critics that this movie lacks emotional moments and a heart.

The story is very Sci-Fi and the action is intense.

The scores on RT are just misleading, the movie has some drawbacks, like pacing issues, editing and color palette (blue-Grey look that makes many scenes look dull)

I'm seeing it again in two days with friends.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #120
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

I think one thing we should keep in mind when mentioning the bad reviews, and comparing MOS to cinematic turd like GL...is the TONE of the critism from the bad reviews.

Reading the bad reviews,it seems that most of tthem at least agree that this is a very competently made movie, it's just that SOME parts of it are lacking it seems.No reviewer is laughing at this movie like they did with movies such as GL,the ghos rider movies etc.

Paladin-Hoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #121
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Wanted to see them develop child Clark Kent's child hood scenes more, oh where was the scene that shows child Clark screaming and breaking all the glass in Doctor's Clinic ?

(That was rumored to be in the movie ?)

*\S/T*
Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #122
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Wanted to see them develop child Clark Kent's child hood scenes more, oh where was the scene that shows child Clark screaming and breaking all the glass in Doctor's Clinic ?

(That was rumored to be in the movie ?)
Was cut.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #123
Daywalker89
In Zion I await my spirit

Loved this film 8/10 and i will be seing it again tomorrow , great performances all around from everyone brilliantly cast . The score was brilliant it evoked so much emotional energy in quiet personal scenes and also in the action scenes, i will be buying the soundtrack (well done zimmer) the action was jaw dropping (cgi was abit crappy in some scenes i.e smallville) the fights were how i imagined , I felt abit unease at how superman took those brutal hits getting knocked around like a ragdoll pure destruction man ,foara was a standout for me , her scenes actually made me go ' holyyy ****tt '. Im open arms towards this new superman , the critic's can **** off and bash one out over donners version( yes it will always be the best before i get grilled) WB needed to go for a new adaption a different take on the 75 year old character. Im not a superman fan but this film has put him back on the map, of course it has flaws (editing,some cgi, those zooming shots lol) but this is a great way to start a franchise. Well done Zack

Daywalker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #124
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I really enjoyed it, I thought Cavill made for a good Clark/Superman and overall the film captured a lot of what I feel makes the mythos special. The reworked origin is interesting to say the least, although I'm sure some will have issues with Lois knowing who Clark is immediately and them already essentially falling for each other, as it very much changes the classic Lois/Clark dynamic for any sequels. Personally I liked this aspect as it was great to see Lois in investigative reporter mode and the "Heat of the moment" kiss leaves wriggle room for the sequels.

The story is essentially a merged remake of Superman 1 & 2 filtered through a modern vision and is so crammed full of information that it's structure makes the films pacing awkward at times, especially in it's lack of explanation of how Clark found the FOS or the way the film jumps from scene to scene when Superman turns himself in, without a natural flow.

The extended opening on Krypton was great and for me a much appreciated expansion of the back story we have seen on screen before, but part of me wonders if the action there forced Snyder to cut some character scenes from the 3rd act.

The performances are good all across the board, Shannon and Crowe being the stand outs. Zod is both terrifyingly single minded of purpose and twistedly honourable in his dedication, Shannon brings forth such fury that you feel Earth's peril. In contrast Crowe brings a calm and noble quality to Jor-El.

I also have to say I loved Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Ma and Pa Kent, they bring the right feel to the characters especially in the present day scenes between Clark and Martha. Amy Adams is very good as Lois and is at her best in the early parts of the movie as a determined reporter. I have to say though I didn't think her and Cavill generated any romantic chemistry.

The action and CGI is a mixed bag, I think Snyder's choice to showcase the speed of Kryptonians when fighting in comparison to humans was interesting but at times I wanted things to slow down so we could see a bit more, but overall the film has some good money shots amongst some ropey effects. The Superman vs Zod fight is fittingly epic in scope and it's finale is powerful (As long as you ignore the amount of people Supes had most likely already killed with the massive damage to buildings & explosions he caused. ).

I think this is a good not great Superman film, certainly my favourite to date but so chocked full of information and retelling of things we've seen that it doesn't have time to breathe. However it has heart and spectacle, it launches a new version of the mythos on the big screen in grand fashion and sets the table for a potentially exciting sequel that can be filled with fresh material for a live action Superman.

8.5/10

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #125
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

All scenes with Kevin Kostner and Diane Lane were great !

And Fishburne looks great as Perry White !

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

What Happened to Dr. Hamilton ? I thought he died.

*\S/T*