The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #51
dnno1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Easter Eggs (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
While that is right in regards to MOS, I didn't see it as a "new" kryptonite but more an introduction to the real thing if it's introduced in later films.
It was and it wasn't new. They re-imagined what it means. Kryptonite is not just some green rock nor is it something that is easy to produce either (it can also be deadly to humans as well). We all know that if Superman was on Krypton, he would become mortal, but the fact that his body would attempt to reject the environment as he acclimated is something never seen before in the comics or in any other media (so you could say that is new). I don't think they have to use a green rock in later films since in this film they established that you can weaken him or turn him mortal by exposing him to that environment (which can be a much harder thing to do than one might think -- I'm pretty sure that someone like Lex Luthor could figure it out, though).

Last edited by dnno1; 06-15-2013 at 09:08 AM.
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #52
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
An Easter egg is in intentional hidden message in a story or a film. The Kryptonian environment was Superman's weakness (or kryptonite) which was a subtlety (i.e. a hidden message or Easter egg).
That's not an easter egg, it was part of the story. If anything it was a tangential callback to Kryptonite, or a newer take on the idea around it being a weakness.

Autonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #53
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

I've heard that one/some of the planes shown in the movie had "Ferris Aircraft" on the side of it/them. Not sure what part of the movie, but that's what I've heard.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #54
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonet View Post
That's not an easter egg, it was part of the story. If anything it was a tangential callback to Kryptonite, or a newer take on the idea around it being a weakness.
It was a hidden message. His weakness (or krytonite) was the environment of his home world. Sure, it's part of the story, but the fact that it wasn't blatantly called kryptonite makes it a hidden message and an Easter egg.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #55
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

There was a LexCorp logo on an 18 wheeler that was pulling away from the front of Kent house when Clark came back home to Martha. It was quick.

Superman battling the world engine felt like a throwback to the Fleischer Superman days.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #56
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
Saw the open pod on the scout ship, seemed as though it was possibly Kara's based on the prequel comic.
What puzzles me about this one is, what has she been doing for 18,000 years?

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #57
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Actually, what happened to the Kryptonians that were on that ship?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #58
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
While that is right in regards to MOS, I didn't see it as a "new" kryptonite but more an introduction to the real thing if it's introduced in later films.
Same here.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #59
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Not Easter eggs as such but Allessandro Juliani, Tahmoh Penikett and Mackenzie Gray were all in Smallville and in this.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #60
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
There was a LexCorp logo on an 18 wheeler that was pulling away from the front of Kent house when Clark came back home to Martha. It was quick.

Superman battling the world engine felt like a throwback to the Fleischer Superman days.
It's funny, people were complaining that that scene clearly looked CGi in trailer # 3, but in the the context of the movie it looked amazing. I also thought "Holy crap he looks just like CR there" and from previous comments it would appear that it wasn't just my imagination. Love this movie!!

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #61
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

In the
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
neck-snapping scene Superman puts Zod in a chokehold just like in Superman II ("Wrong again, Zod!").

Also, another Reeve/Donner Easter Egg was the "You were sent here for a reason" speech Jonathan gives.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #62
bes628
Side-Kick

Did anyone else think they were trying to sell Col.Hardy as the Guardian (Jim Harper) ?

bes628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #63
Mister J
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Perhaps more of a homage than true easter egg, but I liked that the final confrontation featured Superman having Zod in a choke hold, akin to Superman II.

edit: Beaten to the punch.

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there’s always madness. Madness is the emergency exit… you can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away… forever.
Mister J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #64
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

The Superman hovering over the military reminded me of Kingdom Come, and maybe even the Superman # 204, the first issue of Azzarello and Lee's "For Tomorrow".

Old 06-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #65
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsvmos View Post
Man of Steel Cameos and Ester Eggs

Krypton:
1. Krypton destroyed Moon (from the comics by Jax–Ur)
2. Cloning of Kryptonians (from the Man of Steel mini series )
3. Kalex robot (from the comics)

Smallville:
1. Lana Lang (comics)
2. Pete Ross (comics)
3. Whitney Fordman (smallville)
4. Kenny Braverman (comics)
5. Sullivan Shop (maybe from Chloe Sullivan)

The Fortress of Solitude (Aka scout ship)
1. Superman’s key (from the silver age comics)
2. Jor-El's hologram (from the man of steel mini series)
3. The 2 statues in the recreation of krypton (they kind of look like the two statues that superman has in the fortress from the comics)
4. The opened pot in the ship (Kara's pot from the prequel comic)

Metropolis:
1. The reference to Blaze Comics (Booster Gold)
2. Wayne's Satellite (Batman)
3. LexCorp (Lex Luthor)
4. Man eating a Oreo (Martian Manhunter)

Prequel Comic:
1. Kara
2.The Thanagarians

It's called a POD not a POT...

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #66
The Guard
Side-Kick

Do Christ Symbol Easter Eggs count?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #67
davejames
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
It's funny, people were complaining that that scene clearly looked CGi in trailer # 3, but in the the context of the movie it looked amazing. I also thought "Holy crap he looks just like CR there" and from previous comments it would appear that it wasn't just my imagination. Love this movie!!
Same here. It was almost uncanny how much it looked like him. It could just be the angle or the similar bone structure, but I swear it looks like they did a subtle CG morph on him as well.

As for other easter eggs, there was the shot of the barn doors opening from STM. And Clark standing up to an obnoxious trucker in a coffee shop. And being punched in the chest by same trucker.

And I know it's not DC, but the scene of Superman struggling to fly (and then crashing) looked an awful lot like Ralph's shaky attempts to fly during Greatest American Hero.

Last edited by davejames; 06-15-2013 at 11:52 AM.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #68
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Yeah I've been wondering that too if she indeed survived. Not exactly sure what the lifespan of a kryptonian is...but then again she would be living under a yellow sun.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #69
Nitrobot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsvmos View Post
Man of Steel Cameos and Ester Eggs

Krypton:
1. Krypton destroyed Moon (from the comics by Jax–Ur)
2. Cloning of Kryptonians (from the Man of Steel mini series )
3. Kalex robot (from the comics)

Smallville:
1. Lana Lang (comics)
2. Pete Ross (comics)
3. Whitney Fordman (smallville)
4. Kenny Braverman (comics)
5. Sullivan Shop (maybe from Chloe Sullivan)

The Fortress of Solitude (Aka scout ship)
1. Superman’s key (from the silver age comics)
2. Jor-El's hologram (from the man of steel mini series)
3. The 2 statues in the recreation of krypton (they kind of look like the two statues that superman has in the fortress from the comics)
4. The opened pod in the ship (Kara's pod from the prequel comic)

Metropolis:
1. The reference to Blaze Comics (Booster Gold)
2. Wayne's Satellite (Batman)
3. LexCorp (Lex Luthor)
4. Man eating a Oreo (Martian Manhunter)

Prequel Comic:
1. Kara
2.The Thanagarians
What about S.T.A.R. Labs? I cannot remember if they mentioned it...

Nitrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #70
Vaibow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah I've been wondering that too if she indeed survived. Not exactly sure what the lifespan of a kryptonian is...but then again she would be living under a yellow sun.
no doubt kara was classed as a goddess in some amazon area

Vaibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #71
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister J View Post
Perhaps more of a homage than true easter egg, but I liked that the final confrontation featured Superman having Zod in a choke hold, akin to Superman II.

edit: Beaten to the punch.
LOL, I'm surprised no one had mentioned it sooner. Maybe I've just watched Superman II way too many times because it jumped out at me when I was watching it.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #72
davejames
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah that's the only thing I'm kind of bummed about from the comic. It's doubtful we ever would have seen Supergirl in these movies anyway, but this just makes it even more unlikely now.

davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #73
vantheman77
Side-Kick

Looking at the Easter egg list, I can see future Man of Steel team-up movies with Batman and Hawkman.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #74
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

just because the ship has been there for 18,000 years doesn't mean Kara has been out and about for that time.she could've been in frozen,suspended animation until very recently. indeed,considering when Clark goes to the ship one of those security drones is already up and about,I'm of the thought process that Kara waking up and leaving her pod set off the emergency signal that Zod and Co. homed in on,more than Clark accidentally triggering it. so,theoretically,she could be out in the world for less than a year,confused, in distress trying to adapt to the new atmosphere,and not knowing the native languages.she could be wandering the arctic wastes,surviving because of the sun, but not knowing what was going on with her powers, i.e. not knowing she could fly,etc.

maybe word reaches the Planet of a story about a woman found by Eskimo's who supposedly has strange powers. a story that could interest someone like Clark Kent.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #75
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
It was and it wasn't new. They re-imagined what it means. Kryptonite is not just some green rock nor is it something that is easy to produce either (it can also be deadly to humans as well). We all know that if Superman was on Krypton, he would become mortal, but the fact that his body would attempt to reject the environment as he acclimated is something never seen before in the comics or in any other media (so you could say that is new). I don't think they have to use a green rock in later films since in this film they established that you can weaken him or turn him mortal by exposing him to that environment (which can be a much harder thing to do than one might think -- I'm pretty sure that someone like Lex Luthor could figure it out, though).
Agreed.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote