The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: Who was your FAVORITE Couple within the Series?
Bruce Wayne & Rachel Dawes: Batman Begins & The Dark Knight 19 12.67%
Bruce Wayne & Miranda Tate: The Dark Knight Rises 3 2.00%
Bruce Wayne/Batman & Selina Kyle/Catwoman: The Dark Knight Rises 117 78.00%
Other 11 7.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #126
kthevs
Banned User

Default Re: Who was your FAVORITE Couple within the Series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelBeforeZod View Post
Nolan's 'Legend' is over. The story itself clearly continues -- Blake takes the mantle for the moment. Whether you want to think Wayne's Batman comes back when Blake gets himself in over-his-head is up to you. Maybe to train him (Beyond). Maybe to form Batman, Inc. Maybe to take back the cowl, pick up the slack, and kick Blake's ass to Bludhaven.

Selina Kyle wants a fresh start. She got one. She has a clean slate ... no criminal record. If she wants the thrill-seeking without the record in the future, she could always adopt an alter ego and wear a disguise (that actually hides her face). Wonder where she'd get an idea like that.

KBZ
Sure, she could, but as the novel indicates, she wants to reinvent herself. There really isn't anything to suggest that she'll go back to her criminal ways and risk getting herself a brand new record. Plus, this version of Selina wasn't really a thrill seeker. She stole because she had to. It's more desperation than desire. As she says herself, "Once you've done what you had to, they won't let you do what you want to." I think what we see is what we get. Alfred gets his wish. Bruce moves on from Gotham, from Batman, and from the death of Rachel. The cafe scene was mirror symbolism at its finest. Alfred wants to see him with a girlfriend/wife, and someday kids. He wants to see him retire from Batman and get back what Joe Chill took from him: the chance at a normal life. Bruce appears retired. He appears to move on. And he gives Selina his mother's pearls. It is a perfect full circle ending. He gets back what Chill took from him. He now gets to have a normal life with someone else who also wants to start fresh and get a normal life.

Last edited by kthevs; 08-03-2012 at 05:55 PM.
kthevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #127
rickfox
Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthevs View Post
Sure, she could, but as the novel indicates, she wants to reinvent herself. There really isn't anything to suggest that she'll go back to her criminal ways and risk getting herself a brand new record. Plus, this version of Selina wasn't really a thrill seeker. She stole because she had to. It's more desperation than desire. As she says herself, "Once you've done what you had to, they won't let you do what you want to." I think what we see is what we get. Alfred gets his wish. Bruce moves on from Gotham, from Batman, and from the death of Rachel. The cafe scene was mirror symbolism at its finest. Alfred wants to see him with a girlfriend/wife, and someday kids. He wants to see him retire from Batman and get back what Joe Chill took from him: the chance at a normal life. Bruce appears retired. He appears to move on. And he gives Selina his mother's pearls. It is a perfect full circle ending. He gets back what Chill took from him. He now gets to have a normal life with someone else who also wants to start fresh and get a normal life.
That is really nice and I couldn't agree more than that

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #128
#1nolanfan
Side-Kick

Bruce and Selina, definitely. Keep in mind the auto pilot scene comes before the cafe scene and in that scene they say Bruce Wayne fixed the auto pilot six months ago which i'am pretty sure was right when Bruce was gonna sacrifice himself during the war. Unless he didn't tell Selina that he was alive six months later, six months gives them more than enough time to develop a strong romance.

And the fact that she's wearing the pearls makes me believe even more that it was months after his fake death. She was wanting a clean state for a fresh start and a normal life. That's clearly what Bruce wanted as well because a clean state was the best way for him to move on with a new life. In the end they both wanted the same thing so it makes sense they would runaway together and they both seem to understand each other so well. I mean some of Bruce's dialogue to Selina like "No you're not" or "It wouldn't suit you" is like he knows her so well already. I mean could have the relationship been a little bit more developed? Yes, i would have loved more scenes between them on either sides. But, do you really go to a Batman movie for a beautiful love story? I sure don't. I'm not saying it gives them a excuse to poorly develop romance, but i don't think it was so poorly develop like some people think. It definitely was more develop than the once between Bruce and Miranda. There's just too much going on in this movie to focus so much on romance. Selina first so Bruce as a typical Gotham wealthy man that's a scumbags and cares about no one, but himself. But it definitely seemed like her views on him were changing when she learned he was bankrupt and especially when Bane revealed Batman as "Mr. Wayne" and seemed to regret betraying him. And even though she of course tried to hide it, you can clearly see in her eyes she was glad to see him alive and that she didn't send him to his death bed. I guess what ruins it for some people is that he dosen't get out until at least three months later, and i can see why, but it didn't really bother me to much. There was definitely flirting between them in the first half of the movie, and Selina looked very serious and emotional when asking him to runaway with him and that definitely seemed to be the moment she was definitely falling for him. Both saved each other's lives once and the fact that Bruce/Batman believed there was more to her even after her betrayal definitely helped the relationship a bit more as well. And helped her to come back and save him from Bane shooting him with a shotgun. And her romance interest in him was pretty confirmed by the way she kissed him before getting in the bat maybe trying to say "you don't have to kill yourself". I mean yes it was a goodbye kiss, but not many people get those from non family members lol. I mean yes it could have been a little more developed, but LOL the relationship was still far more interesting and fun than the one between Peter and Mary Jane in Spider-Man trilogy let alone Bruce and Rachel. And that "stuck up girlfriend comment". When did she even meet Miranda. Of course she can't stand the rich. So i was fine with the ending. It was clearly not a week or two weeks after his fake death.

Last edited by #1nolanfan; 08-04-2012 at 08:33 PM.
#1nolanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #129
Shpati
Side-Kick

Selina & Jen

Shpati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #130
Shpati
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Harvey Dent/Rachel Dawes.
I can agree with this. I do not think any other couple in this trilogy was more deep, unique, and genuine than Harvey Dent and Rachel Dawes.

Shpati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #131
kthevs
Banned User

Selina asking Bruce to run away with her sealed the deal for me. I usually hate that kind of stuff in action movies, but I loved that moment (as a straight male). Selina is probably the most guarded person in the entire Nolanverse. Her asking Bruce to run away with her was probably the first time in a long time that she let her guard down, let her barriers down, and allowed a guy to come in.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #132
Mob1423
LE-HOO...SEH-HER!

Alfred and the tangerine

Mob1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #133
#1nolanfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthevs View Post
Selina asking Bruce to run away with her sealed the deal for me. I usually hate that kind of stuff in action movies, but I loved that moment (as a straight male). Selina is probably the most guarded person in the entire Nolanverse. Her asking Bruce to run away with her was probably the first time in a long time that she let her guard down, let her barriers down, and allowed a guy to come in.
Couldn't agree even more as a straight male myself. Besides, who wouldn't want Selina anyway when she's on the good side, lol?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #134
#1nolanfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mao View Post
Indeed. The set up was there. The romance happened off camera. She ended up with his mother's pearls. It's not something he would give to a casual friend or fling. Definitely implies significant other.

I actually liked how Nolan handled their relationship without hitting us over the head with it.
Agree! People also seem to forget that the cafe scene was very likely six months after the battle just like the auto pilot scene was. All the end scenes definitely felt very close together. You don't need to be DEEPLY in love with someone to runaway with them especially if you both want the same thing. People are just so picky i think. I don't go to these movies for a Titanic love story. And the fact that she's wearing the pearls at the end makes me believe it was 6 months later even more. It certainly wasn't a week or 2 after. We the audience and now Selina knows how much those meant to him. Like Selina said most rich people wouldn't miss those jewels, or would call the jobs. But not Bruce, he deals with them on his own.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #135
kthevs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1nolanfan View Post
Agree! People also seem to forget that the cafe scene was very likely six months after the battle just like the auto pilot scene was. All the end scenes definitely felt very close together. You don't need to be DEEPLY in love with someone to runaway with them especially if you both want the same thing. People are just so picky i think. I don't go to these movies for a Titanic love story. And the fact that she's wearing the pearls at the end makes me believe it was 6 months later even more. It certainly wasn't a week or 2 after. We the audience and now Selina knows how much those meant to him. Like Selina said most rich people wouldn't miss those jewels, or would call the jobs. But not Bruce, he deals with them on his own.
Agreed. This is Bruce and Selina we are talking about here, so they do end up in love eventually- ala the pearls.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #136
OutRiddled
Banned User

Only relationship I bought was Michael Keaton/Michelle Pfeiffer (wrong series, I know). Rachel Dawes was a ***** with no personality, same with Anne Hathaway's Catwoman. Marion Cotillard was just there most of the time and didn't do much. About as sexy as a brick wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpati View Post
Selina & Jen
Huh?

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #137
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Bruce and John Blake. That **** was bromance at first sight.

H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #138
Green Ghoul
Side-Kick

I'm not even a fan of Catwoman, but I liked her in TDKR. I didn't dislike the Rachel Dawes character, but I didn't care for either of the actresses that played the character. So I'm going to have to go with Catwoman on this one. It was great to see Bruce ended up with Selina Kyle.

Green Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #139
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Ghoul View Post
So I'm going to have to go with Catwoman on this one. It was great to see Bruce ended up with Selina Kyle.
When they were sitting down at the end, I was thinking "these are people that dress up and think nothing of it."

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #140
#1nolanfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Dent and Dawes, then Bruce and Selina. Bruce and Selina didn't feel as fleshed out as I would've liked and Dent/Dawes resonated more with me following her demise. I felt like, despite the ending, Bruce only found a girl but I wasn't convinced it was the girl. They had great chemistry but it needed more than just that one kiss.
I can see where you're coming from, but remember the cafe scene was definitely months after the final battle and very likely six months which is pretty much stated in the autopilot scene. I'm just trying to say that's plenty of time for them to devlop a powerful romance. Like someone else said you can look at this movie as the set up because there was a lot of it and flirting to and the big romance happened off screen especially since she's wearing the pearls at the end and he's not gonna give that to someone he's been dating for two weeks or even a month. She was definitely the first person he would of saw after his fake death since they both seemed to want the same thing.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #141
DACrowe
Side-Kick

It is an unknown number of months, but I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the "six months" thing. Bruce didn't fix it right before he left. His "Bat" was sitting on a roof, so why fix a patch at Wayne Tower which is overrun with Bane goons anyway after they took over his armory? He even teases Lucius about the autopilot in the scene they're getting the EMP device out of it before the big showdown. He fixed it six months prior to the end of the film. Remember he spent five months+ in the Pit and probably saw Fox a few weeks before Bane broke his back. It was around then that he fixed the Bat, before he ever took it for a drive.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #142
Homer J. Fong
Not a golem

This may be the least I've ever thought about anything: I voted Bruce & Selina/Batman & Catwoman, of course. Of course!

BATMAN FOREVER
SCENE BY SCENE
Homer J. Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #143
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Selina first so Bruce as a typical Gotham wealthy man that's a scumbags and cares about no one, but himself. But it definitely seemed like her views on him were changing when she learned he was bankrupt and especially when Bane revealed Batman as "Mr. Wayne" and seemed to regret betraying him.
I agree with everything you said. One thing I'll add is that right from the start, you have that moment of her picking up the burnt picture of Bruce's parents. You can see a hint of compassion in Selina immediately, even though she probably still thinks Bruce is a d-bag.

But yeah, I loved how their relationship progressed in the film. It felt very natural. The whole Bruce and Selina have a romance while Batman and Catwoman have a romance only to later find out the other's true identity has been done and done well in Batman Returns. The way they did it was the only way to go IMO.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #144
Drizzle
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

The couple that was fooling around when Bruce ducked into his secret passageway at the penthouse in TDK. "Thank God, you've got a panic room.....oh, you've got to be kidding me."

Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #145
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
The couple that was fooling around when Bruce ducked into his secret passageway at the penthouse in TDK. "Thank God, you've got a panic room.....oh, you've got to be kidding me."

Zatanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #146
Homer J. Fong
Not a golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Fair enough.

BATMAN FOREVER
SCENE BY SCENE
Homer J. Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #147
The Guard
Side-Kick

Bruce and Selina were definitely the best couple, partially because his "relationship" with the Rachels was awful from a romantic standpoint. I do wish they'd bonded a bit more at some point, that's something the portrayal of Rachel had over Selina, and that there'd been more than just attraction, a desire to start over, and mutual "badass respect". Overall, Bruce and Selina's romance wasn't particularly well handled, but at least the attraction between them was believeable, an element that Bruce/Rachel was sorely lacking.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #148
#1nolanfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Bruce and Selina were definitely the best couple, partially because his "relationship" with the Rachels was awful from a romantic standpoint. I do wish they'd bonded a bit more at some point, that's something the portrayal of Rachel had over Selina, and that there'd been more than just attraction, a desire to start over, and mutual "badass respect". Overall, Bruce and Selina's romance wasn't particularly well handled, but at least the attraction between them was believeable, an element that Bruce/Rachel was sorely lacking.
Agree. And at least by the end scene at the cafe while we don't know exactly how long it had been since the final battle, it had to be at least a month I guess which is enough time to devlop a strong romance between them especially if they've been in Itlay and spend time with eachother all the time. And I think most of us can agree a man and woman don't go to Itlay together just as "friends" lol. I like to think of it as six months later though like the auto pilot scene possibly hinted at. And she's wearing the pearls. I guess this movie was the set up between them and the romance happend off screen (which the ending certainly suggested at).

Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #149
kthevs
Banned User

Quote:
Agree. And at least by the end scene at the cafe while we don't know exactly how long it had been since the final battle, it had to be at least a month I guess which is enough time to devlop a strong romance between them especially if they've been in Itlay and spend time with eachother all the time. And I think most of us can agree a man and woman don't go to Itlay together just as "friends" lol. I like to think of it as six months later though like the auto pilot scene possibly hinted at. And she's wearing the pearls. I guess this movie was the set up between them and the romance happend off screen (which the ending certainly suggested at).
Indeed. By then Selina has already found out what's in his pants besides his wallet.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #150
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Batman and Joker!