The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #851
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 5

FilmCritHulk has a wonderful piece examining Star Trek into Darkness, JJ Abrams work as a whole and many current trends in big budget filmmaking, essentially that they aim for convolution rather than any kind of story telling function. As Hulk argues, story and plot are not necessarily the same thing.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/06/12/f...d-blockbuster/

If you have some time to kill definitely check out the full article.
This quote in particular jumps out

Quote:
THE TITULAR KAHN FROM WRATH OF KAHN, WHO NOT ONLY HAD A PHILOSOPHY THAT MADE SENSE AND WAS DRAMATICALLY EXECUTED IN THE INITIAL ACT, BUT WAS ALSO SOMEONE CONSUMED BY A PERSONAL VENDETTA OF KILLING KIRK. SURE, IT WAS JUST SIMPLE REVENGE, BUT THAT MAKES FOR A REAL, FUNCTIONAL THREAT. MORE IMPORTANTLY, THE FILM USED THAT CONSTANT THREAT TO MAXIMIZE THE DRAMA OF EVERY MOMENT OF SUSPENSE. WE’RE MADE TO INTRINSICALLY FEAR AND FEEL EVERY OUNCE OF KAHN’S HATRED. BUT STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS ONLY SEEMS TO SEE VILLAINY PURELY IN TERMS OF FORM. CUMBERBATCH'S VILLAIN IS A FRANKENSTEIN AMALGAMATION OF SEMI-RELEVANT FEARS: PART TERRORIST, PART DEMI-GOD, PART ANTI-HERO, AND PART EVIL GENIUS, BUT NONE OF THOSE THINGS IN WHOLE. AND AT THIS POINT YOU MAY GET THE JOKE OF HULK NOT CALLING HIM BY HIS NAME EITHER BECAUSE THE TWO CHARACTERS COULD NOT BE MORE DIFFERENT IN TERMS OF FUNCTION. THE MODERN INCARNATION IS ALL TEXTURE. AND QUITE HONESTLY, NOWHERE IS THE FILM’S MISUNDERSTANDING OF PURPOSE MORE APPARENT THAN IN A SERIES OF CHEAP NOSTALGIA PLAYS AT WRATH OF KAHN, BY OUTRIGHT RECREATING SCENES WITH MINOR INVERSIONS… HULK ASKS YOU A SIMPLE QUESTION REGARDING THIS: WHAT’S THE CEILING ON THESE KINDS OF EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCES? WHY DIVORCE THE EMOTION OF THE MOMENT BY TURNING IT INTO REFERENCE? BY TRYING TO FEED OFF AN ASSOCIATIVE MEMORY, IT INHERENTLY ROBS THE SCENE OF ANY SINCERITY BY INVITING THE DIRECT COMPARISON. IT IS “COVER BAND” FILMMAKING AND IT’S THE PERFECT METAPHOR FOR A FILM MIMICKING THE THING IT WANTS TO BE, INSTEAD OF ACTING LIKE THE THINGS THAT INSPIRED IT.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #852
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
That's what I thought for a 2nd when I saw that image in the movie.

Saw the movie yesterday finally and I was surprised that the theater was still almost filled with people wanting to see it since its been out for 2-3weeks now. Loved it. Reading those book spoilers above made me enjoy it more went thinking back to it, though it would have been nice if they had included a lot of that stuff in the film.

I was a bit disappointed that Uhura didn't really get any action scenes since I thought they said she got more to do in this film.

Did not expect to see Orig. Spock again so that was a welcomed surprise. I was half expecting him to comment on Kahns different appearance.

I really wish we could get a new tv show out of the new Trek universe but I am guessing we will have to wait till they are done with the movies so they can either recast the roles or go with new characters.

Really hoping that the next sequel doesn't take as long to come out as this one.

In fact the one major contribution she could have made, speaking Klingon and negotiating is immediately interrupted by more action.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #853
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
FilmCritHulk has a wonderful piece examining Star Trek into Darkness, JJ Abrams work as a whole and many current trends in big budget filmmaking, essentially that they aim for convolution rather than any kind of story telling function. As Hulk argues, story and plot are not necessarily the same thing.

Great read, especially that quote you posted. I agree fully.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #854
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Goodness gracious, that quote was glorious.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #855
Octoberist
point blank

The best thing about the HULK article is that the HULK thinks JJ Abrams is a very, very talented director. Hulk never tossed JJ under the bus, but feels like his time with Orci/Kurtzman should be over.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #856
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post

That was actually immensely illuminating.

And I decided that even before I got the part where he gave kudos to Nolan for doing it right.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #857
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Watching Spock lose his ****, and go after Harrison was soooo ****ing awesome! And that yell "KHAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!" *goosebumps* I can't even imagine the rage a Vulcan, even a half Vulcan, would have to feel to react the way Spock did. If Harrison had been a normal human I think Spock might have ripped him limb from limb.
If Harrison lost it then it would of looked like this

Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #858
Tequilla
Side-Kick

I've only saw this movie today. There's is something entertaining in here , i just can't exactly pinpoint what.

It's just a huge mix of ideas , themes , characters , plot mechanics , plot actions , refereneces , etc with absolutely nothing holding it. It misses any sort of coherence. I dont think it's even concerned with that. Abrams throws everything out there hoping something sticks. I expect nothing from J.J. as a storyteller , and i expect even less from these writers that are working in all these blockbusters. At least hold to your ideas. Kirk loses the ship ? Yeah just wait 10 minutes. He dies..oh its just 10 minutes. Let something linger. Develop something. Anything. Work through there.

What i actually expect was a somewhat elegant movie in visuals. If you are going to throw so much money to a movie , at least hire someone who knows to compose a shot. But just like everything concerning this project, it's nothing but a big mess. Constant swirls that make absolutely no sense , some static hemispherical shots that looked like some sort of experiment as they cut them between normal ones , and the worst offenders , the canted shots. lol. They weren't even trying to make sense. In a normal conversation they would go back and forth between the tilted and more conformed shots. They are not in a friggin boat !!! The action , its a cgi bore fest edited in such a hazardous way , that ends as a bunch of flashes. But what can i expect from someone who doesn't even hold a reference in a conversation scene ? That cockpit scene with 3 characters.....goddamn. The camera moves so much from position to position , loooooool. Why can't he be concise in such a simple scene ? How can someone mix so much stuff in simple setups ? His he purposefully trying to give an headache to the audience ?

Abrams look at Irvin Kershner please before murdering Star Wars . He probably wasn't a great storyteller , nor a great filmmaker , but he was a very competent director in the visual style. Sometimes going simple is much more effective. If not , at least give me some consistence throughout it.

Obviously seeing Alice Eve smoking body was , as much as irrelevant the moment might have been, a fantastic moment .

Last edited by Tequilla; 06-15-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #859
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

While I disagree with said critic's assessment, they construct their argument nicely. However, I wish they would refrain from using caps-lock, as usage of said feature undermines the credibility of their article a notch (and it gives me a headache trying to read the text.)

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 06-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #860
Octoberist
point blank

After seeing Man of Steel and the like, I still think Star Trek into Darkness is my favorite tentpole of the Summer!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #861
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
While I disagree with said critic's assessment, they construct their argument nicely. However, I wish they would refrain from using caps-lock, as usage of said feature undermines the credibility of their article a notch (and it gives me a headache trying to read the text.)
Seriously. I lose interest in any article where the writer feels the need to compose his writing as if he were a screaming cartoon character.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #862
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
After seeing Man of Steel and the like, I still think Star Trek into Darkness is my favorite tentpole of the Summer!
Agreed. I enjoyed Man of Steel and loved Iron Man 3, but Into Darkness is definitely my favorite so far. Caught it at the IMAX one more time before Man of Steel opened last week.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #863
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Being Film Crit "Hulk" is his schtick.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #864
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Finally saw it. Really, genuinely don't see what all the nerd rage was about. It was quite a fun ride.

Personal favorite moment: Khan crushing Weller's skull. Holy. ****.

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 06-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #865
Mr. VBZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Being Film Crit "Hulk" is his schtick.
He even explains why in his interview with the verge.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #866
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

The accusations of sexism over the scene with Alice Eve in her underwear is making me roll my eyes. She was getting dressed for an away mission, for **** sake, and Kirk turned around. It's not like she was skipping around the bridge bare naked. Seriously, the online criticism of EVERY SINGLE THING in any film, television series, book or song.... it's like, enough already.

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 06-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #867
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The accusations of sexism over the scene with Alice Eve in her underwear is making me roll my eyes. She was getting dressed for an away mission, for **** sake, and Kirk turned around. It's not like she was skipping around the bridge bare naked. Seriously, the online criticism of EVERY SINGLE THING in any film, television series, book or song.... it's like, enough already.
Agreed.

x1000

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #868
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Omg, it's ridiculous. I'm a woman, and I'm not even remotely offended.

She was completely flirting with him in that scene, too. Because she certainly could have booted him out of the shuttlecraft as she was getting changed. The two of them do wind up having a son together, so there had to be something between them.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #869
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I just don't get how that could be considered an issue, but Saldana changing her clothes in ST'09 is fine. I think I saw someone complaining to Lindelof on twitter that it was somehow more relevant to the plot or something, and this time around, it wasn't. WHAT?! I mean, sure, Uhura was getting dressed in the confines of her own quarters, but still...

It was when I saw someone post that they were "SOOO glad Lindelof is not a part of Star Wars" because of this that I figured it out. People are going to jump all over the guy for anything they please, regardless of logic.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 06-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #870
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I love people who scream at Lindelof on Twitter and still consider themselves the mature half of the internet.

Uhura taking off her uniform was even in the trailers for ST09. Nobody complained then. She was in her quarters, and had started changing, presumably to go to bed, before she realized Kirk was under her roommate's bed. She was even still in her underwear when she chased him out of the room.

Again, no one complained.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #871
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I love people who scream at Lindelof on Twitter and still consider themselves the mature half of the internet.
It's getting to the point of practically being online bullying, as far as I see it. If he wasn't getting paid copious amounts of money, I'd feel really bad for the guy. As it is, I just roll my eyes at people that consider him the leper of the screenwriting world, when, really, he's not even close. We've endured much, MUCH worse writers over the years, but given that twitter and social media probably wasn't as big then, or even around at all, they couldn't spread their vitriol in such a convenient way.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #872
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

It's completely bullying. You can dislike him and his writing all you want. But sending messages to anyone acting like a tantruming toddler just turns you into the worst kind of fanboy. What exactly does doing that accomplish?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #873
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Just saw Into Darkness today for my birthday! Absolutely loved it! Best film of the year for me so far! (I have yet to see Man of Steel so we will see who wins)

I loved Spock in this and how Old Spock made a cameo, made me so giddy! I love this alternate timeline thing! I was spoiled that Harrison was Kahn shortly before seeing the movie thanks to the Internet but it didn't take anything away from my enjoyment! Hail Cumberbatch!

I loved that Spock said the classic line and that the roles of Spock and Kirk were reversed compared to the original continuity. Even though I am more of a Star Wars fan, I truly hope Abrams gets a third shot even with Star Wars on the horizon. I loved it as much as I did the first Trek 09, truly magnificent and magical.

Easy 9.5 or even a 10 from me, I just loved it that much. Mr. Abrams has possibly solidified himself as my favorite director.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #874
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Exclusive: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' hits Blu-ray and DVD on...

Quote:
This fall, your TV will boldly go where no TV has gone before.
EW can exclusively reveal that J.J. Abrams’s Star Trek Into Darkness will be released on DVD, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, and On Demand on September 10, 2013. A digital download of the film will be available three weeks earlier, on August 20.
“I’m thrilled with how everything looks and sounds,” Abrams said in a statement. “We also have some really fun behind-the-scenes special features that we shot on the Red [Epic cameras] and created entirely in-house at Bad Robot. They really look amazing and unlike anything I’ve seen on DVD or Blu-ray before.”
Those special features include making-of shorts about creating the Red Planet and the Klingon home world of Kronos, as well as a sit-down with stars Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch — and a segment called “The Enemy of My Enemy,” which explores “how, and why, the identity of the film’s true villain was kept a mystery to the very end.”
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/1...s-dvd-release/

Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #875
CK17
I am the one who knocks

Nice, way sooner than I expected. I was thinking November like the first one.

Closed Thread