The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Default Bogus MOS Rumor Memorial Thread

Well, whether you liked the movie or not (I personally loved it) I think one thing we can all laugh about now are some of the rumors that cropped up over the very, very, very long time we had waiting for this movie. While it may be true that some of them weren't just bullsh** and were simply things that wound up on the cutting room floor, that's neither here nor there now. Snyder said that the theatrical version is the director's cut, and if he follows in Nolan's footsteps, we likely won't be getting any deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray.

Anyway, here are some of my favorite bogus Man of Steel rumors. Please feel free to list more.

Joseph Gordon Leavitt would be appearing in the film as John Blake, the new Batman.

Krypton doesn't explode.

Jor-El lives.

Lara survives Krypton's explosion and is the one who pilots the ship that becomes the Fortress of Solitude.

Brainiac appears in the Krypton sequence.

Lex appears in a cameo at the end, played by Michael C. Hall.

Wonder Woman has a cameo.

There is some random Green Lantern Easter egg (can't remember what it was) because Warner Brothers CLEARLY wants to establish that their $300 million tentpole franchise exists in the same universe as their greatest commercial and critical failure.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Default Re: Bogus MOS Rumor Memorial Thread

Oh, and a really early one... I remember someone saying that Snyder had dinner with Billy Zane and secretly cast him as Luthor.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Sabaoth
Master

The Billy Zane as Luthor thing was the most ridiculous

Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Billy Zane as Lex Luthor? I didn't know about that rumour... but you know what? He'd be absolutely brilliant in the role.

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Zorex
No T, No Shade

•Zod's robot army.

•Superman stopping a missile or tank shell that explodes in slo-mo (I think to protect Zod?)

•Superman donning Kryptonian battle armor during the final fight

•Mackenzie Gray as Lex Luthor

Old 06-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
super-t
Side-Kick

I thought it was Nolan that had lunch with Zane?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Princess Denise
Movie Fan

I remember one right after Amy Adams was first cast as Lois Lane where she was really Lana Lang and Michelle Monaghan was Lois!

Princess Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Anno_Domini
Banned User

The best ones I heard and that was the day AFTER the embark was lifted for MOS were:

- That Swanwick guy was going to be Martian Manhunter, who was that CGI fella during the Superman/Faora battle in Smallville.

- Zod was working for Brainiac.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-t View Post
I thought it was Nolan that had lunch with Zane?
Haha, yeah now that you mention it, I think that is how the rumor went.

Others:

Zod speaks Kryptonian to Superman: "Don't you know your native tongue Kal-El?" (This might have been a deleted scene, but I think it was BS because the way that guy described the scene, it sounded like Superman had no idea who Zod was in it. And as we know, by the time Zod shows up, Superman knows exactly who he is).

Colonel Hardy is secretly Lex Luthor.

Superman creates a prison for Zod on some other planet.

Zod kills Faora.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

That it was going to be really good or great.

(runs and hides )

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

How can anyone forget the great Lindsay Lohan as Lana Lang rumour

Oh and who can forget when that Adam Harris kept saying he was Lex Luthor with images if him poorly dressed supposedly from the movie.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
•Zod's robot army.

•Superman stopping a missile or tank shell that explodes in slo-mo (I think to protect Zod?)

•Superman donning Kryptonian battle armor during the final fight

•Mackenzie Gray as Lex Luthor
I remember that, didn't Colonel Hardy blast missiles at them? Zod also says "Do you know your native tongue, Kal-El?", in Kryptonian.

~SHH SIX~
MrMaooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
jthom19802
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Colonel Hardy is secretly Lex Luthor.
This one was my favorite, because people were still clamoring to it even after we had seen him in full military gear in numerous trailers and TV spots (as well as our beloved handcuff picture); as if Lex was secretly masquerading as a general in the Army for some mischievous, secret reason.

jthom19802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
That it was going to be really good or great.

(runs and hides )
Go get 'em, Supes!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

Col. Hardy really being Lex Luthor was always a favorite of mine lol!

TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
Anno_Domini
Banned User

On CBM.com, someone posted an article on how Col. Hardy is actually a nod to Guardian, lol. And I still have no clue how exactly someone thought of that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_(DC_Comics)

Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

They did mention "Guardian" A LOT so....

Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

http://screenrant.com/man-steel-movi...-sandy-171979/

Quote:
Last night at a VFX conference there was a sizzle reel shown by Weta. In this sizzle reel there were two beta level (most likely from a trailer) clips shown. One only about 6 seconds long, the other much longer.

The former was Clark Kent grabbing a truck with a crying man inside of it while flying through the middle of a tornado. It looked incredible. Henry Cavill can fly, and he can hold a truck in one arm. Zack Snyder brings his usual visual flair, but somehow is still unlike anything he has made before. It felt like a Superman comic. Real heroism.

The longer clip was even more stunning, but the more I think about it, slightly concerning. The clip consisted of Superman in full costume in a verbal argument with Zod in the center of Smallville with Christopher Meloni yells at them through a megaphone next to a tank. Meloni warns them he will fire if they do not surrender. While he says this Zod [played by Michael Shannon] sizes Superman up. Shannon looks evil as he can be. Bone chilling even. And is DEFINITELY sporting enhanced muscle. Cavill’s Superman is a wonderful sight to behold in motion. Cavill’s pure size makes him the most believable Superman to date. Zod speaks in Kryptonian “Do you know your native tongue, Kal-el?” Superman looks stunned, and responds in English, “Who are you?” (there isn’t enough Superman dialogue to judge Cavill’s performance fairly, but I’d say he did well. Nothing spectacular from this clip.) Meloni curses, then into a walkie talkie orders the tank to fire. Superman hears this and turns to the tank. Zod takes this opportunity to sucker punch Superman (in Zack Snyder slow-then-fast-mo) then when the tank fires Superman rushes in front of Zod, despite the punch and catches the exploding missile near his stomach. The flames ripple around him, hit his face, his cape, his eyes. The shrapnel hits him and bounces off. The same happens to Zod to a lesser extent. Meloni’s shocked expression when they remain standing, silhouettes in a cloud of smoke, ends the clip.

It was incredible, it really was. And absolutely visually stunning, but my qualm is its typical Zack Snyder. It doesn’t look glossy like his films do. It instead has a more clean cut, colorful look. Like Thor, or Iron Man. But it is the same slow-mo styling that people expect from him. Maybe it just happens in this one scene, but it happens twice. Makes me a bit hesitant, despite the fact it looks phenomenal.

~SHH SIX~
Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

The commenter eventually posted the following additional tidbit:
Quote:
I have been given the clear, this information isn’t secret, I can disclose what I please. It wasn’t a conference, perhaps I was a tad misleading in that regard. It was a gathering, banquet of sorts, of VFX artists on WB payroll. For the poster with ties into the business, ask around, it was a limited invitation event, but someone else out there has got to be able to verify the event took place. It was at the Langham Huntington in Pasadena. We were served a Caesar salad followed by smoked salmon. I can assure you this event took place. WETA presented a long sizzle reel, the Man of Steel clips were just part of it. And finally, the proof you’ve all be waiting for. My name is Jonathan Rothbart. I’ve been working in effects my whole life. My first major film was part of a massive team on Empire Strikes Back. I still have my shirt from the film, one that ONLY those involved with the production would have. I did freelance work with ILM for a while early in my career then settled into a great job at an effects house called The Orphanage. I have a great relationship with WB, and I was honored to be invited to the event.

I [understand] skepticism, I do. But you’ll see the exact shots I spoke of, to a tee, in the finished film. And I’ll come back to these boards and prove it. I guarantee someone else will speak about this footage at some point today, just wait for the news to break.

~SHH SIX~
Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
TheNextNolan22
Oh Hi There Mistah J!

Lol.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
InJustice
Side-Kick

The biggest one of the past month

- The Kryptonian suit grants Kal-El the power of flight

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthom19802 View Post
This one was my favorite, because people were still clamoring to it even after we had seen him in full military gear in numerous trailers and TV spots (as well as our beloved handcuff picture); as if Lex was secretly masquerading as a general in the Army for some mischievous, secret reason.
he has done it before in the past....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
On CBM.com, someone posted an article on how Col. Hardy is actually a nod to Guardian, lol. And I still have no clue how exactly someone thought of that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_(DC_Comics)

Well Hardy's call sign WAS GUARDIAN....sooooo take that as you will. I'm confused to as to why you don't see how people got the nod to Guardian...it was VERY obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
The biggest one of the past month

- The Kryptonian suit grants Kal-El the power of flight
I think that was more speculation than rumor

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #23
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

You guys already named all the dumb rumors. The only one I believed was the robot army.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Well Hardy's call sign WAS GUARDIAN....sooooo take that as you will. I'm confused to as to why you don't see how people got the nod to Guardian...it was VERY obvious
I don't take something as a nod when the character is dead by the film's end when Guardian should at least you know, be the Guardian before he's dead.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

I'm not so sure about that Guardian stuff. Given that they included little known supporting characters from the comics like Steve Lombard and Pete Ross, I think that if they were going to include Jim Harper they would have named him Jim Harper.