The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Are the screening responses a good sign for MOS?
Yes. 46 73.02%
No. 2 3.17%
I don't think they mean much. 15 23.81%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #951
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
People these days just like to take what they see at face value. Like you said, they need to be spoon fed the details...

This is no different when people were ****ing about Nolan not showing how Bruce got back to Gotham after escaping The Pit in TDKR.

He took a plane, genius.
It was the Concorde......

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #952
Ozymandias
The World's Smartest Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrsmile View Post
I couldn't agree more with Mark Waid...
http://http://thrillbent.com/blog/ma...nce-you-asked/
It's too bad he fails to realize why Clark has to go take down the World Engine and not attack Metropolis first.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #953
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
It's too bad he fails to realize why Clark has to go take down the World Engine and not attack Metropolis first.
I found that so weird. But I dont blame him for how he feels. It just wasnt his type of movie.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #954
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Man of Steel is a completely straight forward mainstream film. Its not hard to understand or overly complex or subtle. At all. Your average 12 year old has no trouble "getting" the film. You're embarrassing yourself by suggestion otherwise.

No more long lists people. Try and make your points in a paragraph or two. Its not that complicated.
To my understanding, this is the MAN OF STEEL REVIEW and SPECULATION thread. There was a post pointing out questions as to why this or that was done and I took the liberty to discuss the questions that were asked.

I don't feel I embarrassed myself in the slightest? The movie is still so very-fresh in peoples eyes and there will be very in-depth discussions concerning peoples issues to keep the threat moving forward.

Unless you are a moderator, I suggest not being the king-all, be-all of discussions and rant about what we can and cannot discuss. Enjoy your sane Marvel boards.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #955
batman1115
Side-Kick

MOS is the new Phantom Menace. Both have midichlorians and both are well liked instantly. But down the road, it will be forgotten and the action figures will be in discount bins that can't sell even at $2 each.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #956
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1115 View Post
MOS is the new Phantom Menace. Both have midichlorians and both are well liked instantly. But down the road, it will be forgotten and the action figures will be in discount bins that can't sell even at $2 each.
But this one has JarJar in the director's chair.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #957
batman1115
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post

BRILLIANT!!!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #958
Superman Prime

Quote:
I don't know how much of this was supposed to be a legit comparison, but TPM is discussed often to this day. Over the years its general approval has shifted from "horrible" to "OK" to "bad, but not as bad as AOTC", etc. And MoS has been more widely embraced from the get-go by the GA.

A better comparison would be TPM to "The Hobbit", but even that's stretching.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #959
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
lol

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #960
LostSon88
Side-Kick

I don't recall anyone actually loving TPM...

And again, outside if these fanboards, the GA seems to really enjoy this movie.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #961
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Both got 57% at RT.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #962
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Did anyone read James Franco review on Man of Steel? lol

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 06-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #963
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Did anyone read James Franco review on Man of Steel? lol
Yeah, it's here some pages back. Kinda' felt more like a massive Tweet than a review.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #964
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Man of Steel is a completely straight forward mainstream film. Its not hard to understand or overly complex or subtle. At all. Your average 12 year old has no trouble "getting" the film. You're embarrassing yourself by suggestion otherwise.

No more long lists people. Try and make your points in a paragraph or two. Its not that complicated.
Apparently it wasn't that unsubtle, because there are a LOT of people not figuring out some of the simpler elements of it, even though they were clearly communicated during the film.

Kind of humourous, kind of annoying.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #965
LostSon88
Side-Kick

More annoying than humorous.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #966
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Especially considering one of the worst things about Goyer is his propensity to bludgeon you with information that could easily be understood through more subtle means. But now, I guess I see why he does it, smh...

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 06-19-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #967
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
Especially considering one of the worst things about Goyer is his propensity to bludgeon you with information that could easily be understood through more subtle means...
Agreed. He's definitely a flogger.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #968
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Apparently it wasn't that unsubtle, because there are a LOT of people not figuring out some of the simpler elements of it, even though they were clearly communicated during the film.

Kind of humourous, kind of annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
More annoying than humorous.
Definitely more annoying.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #969
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post

LMAO!!!! Coke through the nose on that one!

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #970
mace1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
My take:

1. How did the suit get on the 20,000 year-old ship? Did Jor-El's hologram print it out or something? Makes no sense, man!
Jor-EL referenced Krypton's ancestry numerous times in Man of Steel and was a scientific warrior who longed for the days Krypton looked to the stars to inhabit the beauty and elseworlds of the galaxy to explore Krypton's place in its own society.

Expanding Krypton's lifespan in living art-forms in their galaxy and working in tandem with other inhabited resources sculpted Krypton to be light-years ahead of its time.

It wasn't until later on in their existence that Krypton's fate became severely in danger of not only the politicians in power of the Kryptonian Council, but the shutdown of the outposts itself that ultimately would be the wrong-doing to the core of Krypton's architecture.

Jor-EL chose the scientific symbol of hope from the planets ancestors and passed that along to Kal aboard the mothership/Fortress (the suit also could of been Jor-EL's alternate formal-wear on Krypton.)

You see different guilds and the Kryptonian-wear that each guild employs and what symbols represents their place within Kryptonian society.

The EL family was the symbol of hope from Krypton ancestry and Jor sent along a suit aboard the Fortress to represent EL, or HOPE on Earth.
2. Why did Zod take Lois in the ship, he already had Kal-El? Stupid!
At that point, Lois was the only one at that moment (thanks to Woodburn) that knew of Superman's secret identity and had a face to face altercation with Clark himself.

Onboard Zod's ship in the conscious chamber with Kal, Zod asks Clark where the codex is located, so there was still no telling if Zod could break inside and interrogate Superman's mind.

His attempt at controlling the environment was to make Kal mentally break down and tell him where Clark's pod was located but Superman never told, claiming he'd never be apart of this and pleaded and begged Zod before sinking into a pit of skulls.

Inside Clarks conscious led them to the Kent farm, but not the whereabouts of the pod itself.

As for Lois, as I said before, she was the only one known to have tracked down Clark himself and been on the ins with, so they looked into her mind to see if Kal would of somehow told her where the codex was located.

Lois's conscious too, led them to the Kent farm from her interaction with Ma.

3. Why not just read Ma Kent's mind instead of choking her? DUH!
No need. They knew Clark's pod was located within the whereabouts of the Kent farm, but there was no time to waste to bring Ma upon the ship and look inside her mind. They, instead, used fear and force as an immediate tactic, and it worked when Ma hinted towards the barn.

4. Why didn't the Kryptonians evacuate the planet when Jor-El told them to?! They have spaceships, just fly away!
These were the same people that were too blind to realize the fate of Krypton's destruction. Jor-EL debated with them for a long period of time to evacuate immediately beforehand, but the council REFUSED to believe his requests and findings and denied him several times.

The woman councilor, even in the midst of chaos, was appalled and questioned Jor-EL's concern to evacuate the entire planet.

Jor-EL proceeded to tell them that they acted too late and Krypton was ALREADY dead, which led us to the codex to receive permission to look to the stars and find a home for Krypton to live again.

It was TOO late to "just fly away." Thanks to the council, that ship sailed a long, long time ago, which worked in tandem in Zod's disdain of an evil takeover to overthrow the council to begin with.

5. Why didn't Kal-El lead Zod away from Metropolis? He did that in Superman 2, so why not do it again?

What would have this accomplished? The stakes were high in this battle and the intensity of the fate of the world didn't call for this. They zipped around different cities and Supes even lead the brawl into space before burning back through Earth's atmosphere and into Metropolis.

Besides, Superman was on the defensive the whole fight, not the offensive. He was trying to stop Zod from making "the people he adopted" suffer.

Supes was in no position to lead the battle anywhere because wherever he would have takin Zod, Zod would still have the same intention to KILL as many people at all costs.

In Superman II, Zod wanted to rule the Earth and have Superman kneel before him. In this sequence, Zod had nothing. Had no people. His sole purpose after Supes defeated his plan was to make Superman mourn everybody around him, regardless or where they were and Zod wasn't going to stop until he killed every last one of us.

6. He could have just flown straight up though and took him out of Metropolis, right? So stupid yall!
Again, it's not only about Metropolis at this point. It was about humanity. Zod's intention was to set out and kill as many people on Earth as possible and let Superman mourn them, regardless of their whereabouts. Superman simply had to STOP him, and with a being of equal power with evil intentions, Supes was forced to do what he did and he certainly DIDN'T want to. He couldn't control Zod and was in a bigtime struggle to tame him.
8. Why Terraform Earth? Zod could have found another place, come on!
Zod traveled an ocean of stars to locate Kal-EL on Earth and retrieve the codex. There was simply NO reason for Zod to look elsewhere. Zod's plan was to find Kal-EL, retrieve the codex and settle on the world Jor-EL and Lara sent Kal.

There was a REASON Lara settled for Earth in Kal's journey through time and space and Earth's habitat and scientific structure fit the needs for Kal's survival. It only made sense for Zod to inherit Earth as his resting place.
9. Superman doesn't kill! Why did they make him do it?
He had no choice. He had no option. He couldn't contain Zod any longer and struggled to tame him. Zod is of equal power to Superman with evil intentions.

Though Supes was forced to make one of the heaviest decisions of his life, one he DIDN'T want commit, he couldn't live with himself to see Zod disintegrate an innocent family in front of his eyes.

It was then Clark realized Zod wasn't going to be stopped. He knew he didn't have ANY other option to contain him. In order to save billions of other people in the wake, he HAD to off him and he was fearful making that decision and was in agony of what has become.

There is now a reason for the moral-code to exist in the first place.
10. Superman said he let his Dad die because people weren't ready? Crazy!
He trusted him. You got to make linear points dating back to other time periods in the movie. When Pa was talking to young Clark on his truck-bed, he told Clark how scared people were and said there's MORE at stake than just human lives. He said by Clark revealing himself to the world, that life would be questioned as what is the true meaning and point of being human. People are afraid of what they don't understand.

Pa was convinced that the world wasn't ready to see aliens walking amongst us and in turn, would create worldwide panic and damage Clark's progression of life.

Pa sacrificed himself so Clark would have the chance to choose when the time was right to reveal himself to the people and change the world, good character or bad.

THAT was the subtle message between father and son that people are CLEARLY missing. Makes me wonder if people even THINK about what their watching
13. Wouldn't changing the atmosphere render the Kryptonians powerless? Why terraform then?
Powerless? Did you miss Zods last interaction with Jor-EL's consiouness? Jor-EL debated and pleaded with Zod one last time, claiming both society's can co-exist. Zod told Jor that he wasn't interested in SUFFERING on planet Earth's atmospherics like Kal did.

It wasn't about "powers." Zod was about ruling a New Krypton under his dictatorship and deeming those worthy to walk beside him under his military forces.
15. Why was Superman coughing on the ship? So dumb!
The same reason why he struggled to breath as a baby (as Ma explained.)

Baby Kal-EL had to adjust to Earth's atmospherics and shed Krypton's, in turn, struggling to breath and adapt, ala Kal coughing on the ship as his body was rejecting a lifetime of Earth atmospherics.

If you would have, you know, watched the movie, General Zod explained that Kal's cells were rejecting Krypton's genetics of the ships atmosphere and will take time for it to pass, which, in turn, gave Zod the time to tap into Kal's consciousness within the chamber.
16. Who suddenly rebuilt Metropolis??! Clark just walks into the Daily Planet and everything is suddenly normal?
Does absolutley EVERYTHING need to be spoon-fed? My lord.

Time has eclipsed from the time Supes offed Zod, to deciding on a new job, to go over trust issues with Swanwick and finally, getting a job at the planet.

The Government built a $12 million dollar space drum to specifically track down Superman's whereabouts or to find out "where he hung his cape" so time has obviously, passed.
18. How did Clark know about the ship in Antarctica?! Silly.
This was the entire point of searching the world Jonathan urged Clark to find out what the reason was as to why he was sent here. Clark held many jobs under different aliases and overheard Pentagon officials talking about an object trapped under a bed of Antarctic ice for thousands of years. It was only then where he knew where his next lead was that ultimately, led him to the Fortress.
19. Why did the Council send Zod to the Phantom Zone when the planet was about to be destroyed?
He was being tried for treason and murder. The council REFUSED to listen to Jor-EL's warnings and STILL proceeded to NOT act out amongst his request even after his murder committed by Zod.

Zod claimed that Jor-EL was right and the council was a pack of fools.

It's simple. The Kryptonian council was a bunch of useless naive' tools who abused their force of power for the Krypton they viewed worthy that was ultimately, a death wish. They were the downfall of Krypton's society.
20. Why did Superman lose his powers aboard Zod's ship ?
Once Kal's cells adapted to the Kryptonian atmosphere onboard Zod's pod, he became neutralized as one of them as if he were human on Earth..like us.

Jax-UR explained that his body was drained of Earth's yellow-sun radiation and his powers have been neutralized. This is when he took a sample of Kal's blood, which in turn later in the movie, was the focal point of finding out where the codex was located....living inside Clarks living cells.
I swear people lack comprehension skills. People with these questions seemed to completely view a different movie than I did because they simply just can't grasp the message Man of Steel tried to convey.

It's evident that most of the audience who didn't like this movie needs everything SPOON-FED to them like a child and refuses to use their brain to connect the details. That's why I love Man of Steel and I applaud Snyder and Goyer to making us pay attention!

Good post.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #971
jokrsmile
Side-Kick

So if Kal was powerless on the ship, then why weren't the other Krytonians just as powerless in their suits? I don't remember their suits working like Iron Man's armor giving them super strength. Since they needed protection from the Earth's atmosphere, Superman should have been able to wipe the streets with all of them.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #972
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
So if Kal was powerless on the ship, then why weren't the other Krytonians just as powerless in their suits? I don't remember their suits working like Iron Man's armor giving them super strength. Since they needed protection from the Earth's atmosphere, Superman should have been able to wipe the streets with all of them.
Yeah I thought it was odd that they seemed to be perfectly comfortable with moving at super speed, using super strength etc, but then Zod acted surprised when his mask is off and he starts experiencing his super senses. If they didn't know about the senses how did they know about the super strength etc?

Also I don't see how those could've been Super suits because weren't Jor'el and Zod both wearing something similar on Krypton when they fought? Yet neither one moved at super speed or displayed any other advanced abilities.

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages

Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #973
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
I don't think they needed protection from Earth's atmosphere, they just weren't used to it. Technically, they spent as much time off Krypton as Superman did, so it's not like they came directly from there, they were just unaware of the heightened feeling of certain senses.

The suits were just their military garb, if you will. On the ship, the atmospherics mimicked that of Krypton, so they were just normal. Outside on Earth though, I don't think their suit had any bearing on the gravity, which is why they could fly around & be strong. But once their masks became compromised, their "super" senses dealing with the head (heat vision, hearing) were out of whack due to their inability to focus. Those two senses are the only ones that Clark seemed to struggle to control as a boy, I'm guessing the strength is easier to grasp. Or I could be completely wrong lol, just my take on it...

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #974
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

Spoilers ahead:

am i the only one who was bothered by the fact that
1. basically everyone knows clark is superman,
2. he was just some nomad with no education beyond high school(i'm guessing he finished high school). what qualifies him to be a reporter for a great metropolitan news paper like the daily planet? his poor fisherman skills, or bartending/busboy abilities? he basically only has some sort of employment for a few hours at a time, then just ditches out?

it would've been cool if they thought out the clark disguise a bit more, and if clark was a writer or journalist from the beginning.

people who are that lost would probably be more empathic to the struggles of society, and him being a reporter would write about it. more like a human interest reporter. take that and add in him covering his own feats, and the impact of them on the people that he's helped. that would be a good trigger for lois to see these articles by this clark kent, and try to find him, and in doing so find superman.

also it would've been more heartfelt if he did attempt to save pa, but wasn't in control of his powers. his lack of control on his abilities would result in his father's accidental death. not that he killed him, but that he couldn't save him. that would make his "exile" more meaningful.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #975
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: