The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Upcoming Batman Solo Movie

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #101
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Default Re: The Batman Reboot Casting Thread - Part 5

Yeah I love Kunis but I don't see Zatanna or Catwoman.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #102
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
I wouldn't mind Madsen as Deathstroke. I really want Mickey Rourke for Deathstroke, but that probably won't happen.
Madsen as Deathstroke? . He would certainly have a death-stroke if he did anything too physical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Yeah I love Kunis but I don't see Zatanna or Catwoman.
Same here.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #103
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I still have trouble picturing anybody but bale playing batman but i could actually see Matt Bomer really working. Aside from his appearance i think he could really bring that x factor to the role.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #104
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Madsen as Deathstroke? . He would certainly have a death-stroke if he did anything too physical.
That genuinely made me laugh.

I am dying to see the Madsen moobs in tight orange lycra.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #105
cin0
Atl's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Jane is Harley!

She's a natural blonde. She's mad as a clown...She is Harley
Who?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #106
cin0
Atl's Finest

Id much rather see Bomer as GL than as Batman. Batman just doesnt seem like his kind of role imo.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #107
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Matt Bomer could actually nail Bruce Wayne and Batman. I would have no problem casting him. But it's not happening. No way would WB risk casting a gay actor in this big of a role. I could deal with it and so could others. But lets be honest, the backlash would kill the film. The world is not nearly as accepting as us geek squaders!

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

Old 06-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #108
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by cin0 View Post
Who?

Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #109
Double B
Side-Kick

Oh hai, Mary Jane.

Yes, I often wondered whether the fact that Bomer is an out, gay man in Hollywood would affect his casting in a role like this. I would like to think not. However, that's not the way the world works.

However, if WB did cast him, and he nailed it... I think a huge door could potentially be opened.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #110
shauner111
Side-Kick

Im thinking Bomer for Hal Jordan now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
That genuinely made me laugh.

I am dying to see the Madsen moobs in tight orange lycra.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #111
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFadeAway View Post
Matt Bomer could actually nail Bruce Wayne and Batman. I would have no problem casting him. But it's not happening. No way would WB risk casting a gay actor in this big of a role. I could deal with it and so could others. But lets be honest, the backlash would kill the film. The world is not nearly as accepting as us geek squaders!

If this was even like 5 years ago i'd maybe agree with you, not today though. All i hear about bomer is how girls think he's hot and yes even tons of straight guys give him props.

It would not be an issue and frankly in a weird kind of way the fact that he only came out relatively recently as gay, i think that would in some way help with him understanding issues of duality and secrets in bruce wayne's life.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #112
Majik1387

I'm honestly over all this gay talk at this point; it's becoming offensive more than usual.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #113
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Sadly i've noticed when less conventional choices for roles seem to be brought up on the forums here (ie. race, orientation etc.) there often seems to be an unfortunate side of people who seem to chime in, maybe even more so than you'd get among the general public.

It is disconcerting.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #114
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm honestly over all this gay talk at this point; it's becoming offensive more than usual.
Really? Offensive? Unless I missed something (and I apologize if I missed something really offensive) I just saw a bunch of people say that he would do great, but some people would have a problem (with an implication that those people are being stupid) and if they kick up enough dust the studio might not go forward with it (with an implication that studios tend to be big babies about stuff like this).

I'd say that is a fairly reasonable yet unfortunate assessment.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #115
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I don't know if people are being offensive but i think misguided maybe.

I don't believe there is any evidence the public would reject a gay male lead or specifically matt bomer as a lead.

The majority of people these days are pro-gay rights, under 30 it's pretty much the vast majority. Things have changed a lot the past few years.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #116
regwec
Shakespearo

I can see why ethnicity might be an impediment to an actor's suitability for a given role, but I do not understand why sexuality is considered. The actor is being paid to act. Requiring them to share the sexual preferences of their role seems to be confusing fiction and reality.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #117
Double B
Side-Kick

Absolutely no one is being offensive.

I'm gay myself, and even I know that casting a gay man as Batman would be a hot topic of conversation. It shouldn't be, of course, but it would be in some quarters.

You need only look at the ****storm when a young, black actor was rumoured to be cast as Johnny Storm.

I don't believe the majority of the public would be that bothered and anyone who is, needs a reality check. Yet, do I believe a studio could hold reservations? Yes, I do. However, I think Matt Bomer would be fantastic in the role and combat some preconceived and outdated notions. It could be a real triumph IMO and show that sexuality shouldn't be relevant in the acting industry. And it shouldn't. It's ridiculous to think it would be when their job is to play someone other than themselves.

Last edited by Double B; 06-20-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #118
Majik1387

I'm just finding this whole conversation offensive; it's always brought up when it has no merit. It's overly remniscent of the homophobia in the Superman casting thread with Cavill. I'm just over it. In here, in the Justice League thread, etc. It's just so ridiculously stupid that that's the mindset some have here, but then go on to say one is better off for Green Lantern or something. It's one of the reasons I hate coming to DC, mainly Batman, film casting threads. I rarely if ever see this in any of the Marvel movie threads.

With Cavill being the new Superman despite posters with supposed insiders denying he has a shot due to a rumor, to Heath Ledger who got huge backlash because he played a gay cowboy, it's just so ridiculous.

Saying an actor out is because of his talent level? Fine. Name recognition? Sure. Looks? Of course. But this bs regarding sexual orientation is just stupid and contradictory as I see Amber Heard still suggest for straight women roles no problem. No one goes, oh well she's a lesbian, that may bring back lash on some headlines.

Just get over it like the majority of audiences have. Studios care more about drunken antics or drug fueled incidences of their directors, actors lives than who they're sleeping with.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #119
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I can see why ethnicity might be an impediment to an actor's suitability for a given role, but I do not understand why sexuality is considered. The actor is being paid to act. Requiring them to share the sexual preferences of their role seems to be confusing fiction and reality.
There is a big difference between thinking it should and anticipating it might by simple minded people.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #120
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
Saying an actor out is because of his talent level? Fine. Name recognition? Sure. Looks? Of course. But this bs regarding sexual orientation is just stupid and contradictory as I see Amber Heard still suggest for straight women roles no problem. No one goes, oh well she's a lesbian, that may bring back lash on some headlines.
I think there is a GIGANTIC difference between saying "A gay man can't play Batman" (which I haven't seen anyone say, in fact its the complete opposite) and saying "The studio might be concerned since Batman has a history of being attacked due to homophobia."

Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #121
cin0
Atl's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFadeAway View Post
HE'S GAY?!

Quote:
O, her from Suburgatory. Not sure about Harley, but I wouldnt mind seein her as Babs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
Oh hai, Mary Jane.

Id prefer her over the girl they chose for her in the next spider-man movie, that girl isnt even attractive.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #122
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square

Exactly.

I've been a supporter of Bomer.

But I know what kind of **** would come flying at him and WB if he was cast.
It's just not good publicity.

They can try and hold their heads high, but would they bother with the headache?

And like I've explained, Bomer's career as a leading man in film has been affected by his sexuality. Hate to say it.
He's good looking, talented. Yet so many other actors who are less attractive and less talented get leading roles in films. I refuse to believe it's due to bad luck in auditions.

Perhaps I'm wrong, probably am. But we know Hollywood still has an issue with these things, no matter how far we've come in the years.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #123
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by cin0 View Post
O, her from Suburgatory. Not sure about Harley, but I wouldnt mind seein her as Babs.
Check out her performance in Evil Dead, she's Harley material

Old 06-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #124
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Exactly.

I've been a supporter of Bomer.

But I know what kind of **** would come flying at him and WB if he was cast.
It's just not good publicity.

They can try and hold their heads high, but would they bother with the headache?

And like I've explained, Bomer's career as a leading man in film has been affected by his sexuality. Hate to say it.
He's good looking, talented. Yet so many other actors who are less attractive and less talented get leading roles in films. I refuse to believe it's due to bad luck in auditions.

Perhaps I'm wrong, probably am. But we know Hollywood still has an issue with these things, no matter how far we've come in the years.
And what career was that, precisely? He's never been a leading man in film, even before he came out. He's a TV leading man, but in film, he's supporting. There's nothing wrong with that.

H.E.(R?)
Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #125
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square

There isn't of course.

TV is TV though. Film is film.

There's a difference surrounding both formats.

And like I said, I'm probably wrong. Perhaps he likes TV better than film. He started there first and has had more roles.

Closed Thread