The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Who should in the villain in the Man of Steel sequel?
Brainiac 96 49.74%
Darkseid 9 4.66%
Metallo 37 19.17%
Parasite 3 1.55%
Mongul 4 2.07%
Mister Mxyzptlk 2 1.04%
Toyman 1 0.52%
Prankster 0 0%
Doomsday 11 5.70%
Other 30 15.54%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #151
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Default Re: Who should be the villain in the sequel for Man of Steel?

Yeah, I'm not saying they absolutely have to follow the Batman Begins-TDK-TDKR pattern, but I think Doomsday should be saved for part 3.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #152
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I'm probably ruining my pitch, but as a secondary villain, I wouldn't mind seeing a cyber-mischief causing hacker who goes by the tag Mxyzptlk be a force of mayhem that Clark & Lois have to solve.. (and of course, I'm basing this on the notion that Goyer/Nolan would likely dump the angle of the 5th dimension imp with reality-warping magic). Multiple disasters could be caused which would prompt Superman to rescue various sets of people, potentially worldwide. Computer terror/crime is the closest "real-world" application of "magic" to be able to affect distant parts of the world with but a keystroke.

We've seen in other films (Die Hard 4 comes to mind) at the type of (action movie) disruptions that can take place with a dedicated hacker (or a team of them-- maybe one is M, another ix X, Y, Z, etc.)

Assuming that the producers would want to go with a "traditional" Mxy stature, then maybe he can be played by Peter Dinklage..

Hypestyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #153
Harley2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
I'm probably ruining my pitch, but as a secondary villain, I wouldn't mind seeing a cyber-mischief causing hacker who goes by the tag Mxyzptlk be a force of mayhem that Clark & Lois have to solve.. (and of course, I'm basing this on the notion that Goyer/Nolan would likely dump the angle of the 5th dimension imp with reality-warping magic). Multiple disasters could be caused which would prompt Superman to rescue various sets of people, potentially worldwide. Computer terror/crime is the closest "real-world" application of "magic" to be able to affect distant parts of the world with but a keystroke.

We've seen in other films (Die Hard 4 comes to mind) at the type of (action movie) disruptions that can take place with a dedicated hacker (or a team of them-- maybe one is M, another ix X, Y, Z, etc.)

Assuming that the producers would want to go with a "traditional" Mxy stature, then maybe he can be played by Peter Dinklage..
That sounds more like a Marvel/Disney movie, than it would fit into Snyder's world. I think they go for somebody more physical, more real.

Last edited by Harley2004; 06-20-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #154
smallville fan
Hero

I don't really understand why people want to go for the cartoony villains like Mr Mxyzptlk or Bizarro. I think we should focus on villains that fit with the tone of the first Man of Steel movie and could be a good follow-up villain to Zod. I really don't see how the cartoony villains could fit. Personally I want to see Lex Luthor(which is a given), Metallo(good chance), Doomsday, and maybe shoehorn in mentions of Darkseid/Apokolips or Brainiac(they're better for JL movies).

smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #155
Harley2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
I don't really understand why people want to go for the cartoony villains like Mr Mxyzptlk or Bizarro. I think we should focus on villains that fit with the tone of the first Man of Steel movie and could be a good follow-up villain to Zod. I really don't see how the cartoony villains could fit. Personally I want to see Lex Luthor(which is a given), Metallo(good chance), Doomsday, and maybe shoehorn in mentions of Darkseid/Apokolips or Brainiac(they're better for JL movies).

I agree.

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #156
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

I'm hoping for Lex/Metallo.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #157
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

The only way i'd ever want to see doomsday in one of the films is if they can give him the TDKR Bane adjustment and add depth to the character.

As a comic character he is very lacking though and he was essentially just a plot point created to kill superman and be forgotten pretty much.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #158
Da Games Elite
Side-Kick

Doomsday? Doomsday as a character is just sorta underwhelming. I mean, he isn't Bane, where he had a character, was a foil to Batman, and all that from the get-go. He's just a generic villain who kills Superman, but lacks personality or a real identity on his own.

He's definitely cool, though, and a threat.

But on his own? Not a very imposing villain...

Da Games Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #159
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Games Elite View Post
Doomsday? Doomsday as a character is just sorta underwhelming. I mean, he isn't Bane, where he had a character, was a foil to Batman, and all that from the get-go. He's just a generic villain who kills Superman, but lacks personality or a real identity on his own.

He's definitely cool, though, and a threat.

But on his own? Not a very imposing villain...
Well you could make Lex somewhat indirectly responsible for Doomsday? Something like the Superman: Doomsday animated movie?

smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #160
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Honestly, I just can't help but feel that Lex Luthor has been so overexposed over the years to be reused as the primary villain. Even if they were include someone like Metallo in there. He should be brought back, but I think he should be secondary to Brainiac with his rivalry with Superman culminating in the third film.
To me we have never seen the Lex I want to see, the version from TAS. The mega rich business man who is in bed with the military when it comes to developing cutting edge tech. To me that version fits right in with the destruction of Metropolis and how we'd want to become better prepared for anymore alien threats given how easily they took care of the military and the fact the government still wont fully trust Superman, they'll always have a "What if?" scenario in mind.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #161
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
To me we have never seen the Lex I want to see, the version from TAS. The mega rich business man who is in bed with the military when it comes to developing cutting edge tech. To me that version fits right in with the destruction of Metropolis and how we'd want to become better prepared for anymore alien threats given how easily they took care of the military and the fact the government still wont fully trust Superman, they'll always have a "What if?" scenario in mind.
I have to admit, since my other post, I've started to become more open to them possibly reusing Lex Luthor as the main threat again. So I'd have to agree with you that from a story perspective, that makes the most sense after the events of MOS.

I can't help but think though that they should include other physical threats in addition to possibly Metallo, like Parasite or Bizzaro, if they could make it work.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #162
regwec
Shakespearo

I see I am in a majority in choosing Brainiac. I think super-computers are always interesting, and there is much room for the visual flare seen in MOS to be applied in interesting ways.

The only downside is that the technological tentacles that Superman fought in MOS would have had an obvious place in Brainiac's arsenal.

It may annoy the purists, but I think it would be interesting to if Brainiac were to have a female voice, with the calm, cold tone of my Sat Nav.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #163
Noach
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
They could possibly use Superman's newest villain if the comic is popular.

I think first LexCorp would build a kind of machine based army for the military, perhaps something like the Omac project, and then it escalates to being merged in secret with a human experiment which is where Metallo comes in as Lex's pawn against Superman but with his own agenda that makes it harder for Luthor to control him than he had bargained for.

Of course the latter part rests on how they work Kryptonite into the story and more importantly how Lex discovers that it's harmful to Superman.

What is that thing, lol

Noach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #164
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
It may annoy the purists, but I think it would be interesting to if Brainiac were to have a female voice, with the calm, cold tone of my Sat Nav.
I wouldn't have any problem with that.

Of course, I also wouldn't mind a Brainiac who looks like the New 52 "Collector" (insectoid) instead of another funny-colored humanoid, so my own sense of purism, or lack thereof, is a two-way street...

http://jochimus.deviantart.com
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #165
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

^ Heck, now that I think about it, I'd be tempted to have Giger design Brainiac and whatever drones he's got for the third movie and basically adapt "Superman vs. Alien" only with Brainiac instead of the Aliens...it already predates Johns' "Brainiac" arc in a couple of regards, it'd be a way to bring in Kara (or some variation thereof), and plus SvA also grappled with Kal-El being put into a position as to whether or not he could bring himself to take a life again.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com

Last edited by Jochimus; 06-23-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #166
regwec
Shakespearo

Excellent notion.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #167
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

lex and metallo. the story would be lex rebuilds metropolis. he's looked at as the real savior of metropolis, and lexcorp gains government contracts to create a superman deterrent. people love lex and are very wary of superman since he only brings destruction. what they don't know is that lex is financing terrorism in the form of intergang. lexcorp builds a super suit piloted by john corben. he gets into an accident on it's unveiling, and lex decides to rebuild him using intergang technology. during all of this lois and clark are working on a story to expose lex as a villain. in the end lex walks away, and corben is imprisoned. lex is transported somewhere and meets intergang's technology supplier, darkseid(or steppenwolf to lead up to darkseid).

Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #168
Noach
Side-Kick

As long as the villain gives Superman the right to wear his space suit. Since the Kryptonians looked cool in theirs, I wanna see Henry Cavill in one.

Noach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #169
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I have to admit, since my other post, I've started to become more open to them possibly reusing Lex Luthor as the main threat again. So I'd have to agree with you that from a story perspective, that makes the most sense after the events of MOS.

I can't help but think though that they should include other physical threats in addition to possibly Metallo, like Parasite or Bizzaro, if they could make it work.
Parasite would be difficult to adapt I think, at least in a way that would please long time fans but there are ways. I think a Cyborg Superman is more likely than Bizzaro as tonally I don't see him fitting in to the MOS world.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #170
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

I think Lex/Metallo is the way to go.I'd love to see Bizarro in the third.If they use TAS as the template (Lex's failed clone) it would be great.

I don't want Brainiac.

Hellz no to Doomsday.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #171
TANK.

I could see this movie being a trilogy that's set up similar to the recent Batman reboot. Batman Begins = learning to be Batman, villian was from where Batman originated , The Dark Knight = bad-a$$ Batman + the villan was Batman's nemesis (Joker), and The Dark Knight Rises = villian was a mastermind imposing figure (Bane).

Following the same path, we already have MOS with Superman finding himself and fighting Zod, MOS2 could be against Lex Luthor arguably his arch enemy, and MOS3 would have him against the imposing and ruthless Brainiac.

Just my predictions.

TANK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #172
regwec
Shakespearo

It's possible, but there is less general fascination for Lex, and he appeared in SR not so many years ago. Slightly different kettle of fish to The Joker in TDK.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #173
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

I'd say Lex + an enemy Clark encounters during the course of his journalistic exploits, Metallo/Brainiac. That way Lex makes life difficult for Superman and the secondary villain introduces the notion of Kal having to juggle these two identities by having Clark face the villain and have to protect his identity. I also like what a previous poster said about Brainiac being relevant because of our society being so reliant on technology, I like a dose of social commentary to make the story feel more personally relevant to the GA.

DeadPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #174
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Lex should be the manipulator and there should be areal physical threat as well. If lex is the main Superman always seems like a stupid bully and the action is just lifting stuff. Even if its anti superman battle suits for him men, there needs to e a real physical threat.

I could see another alien threat really cementing lex's problems with Superman. I would be happy with Mongul or Brainiac, Ultra Humanite might be fun but tougher to do. Maybe some of the Apokolips crowd helping out some bad guys with alien tech and a powerful enforcer like Mantis or Kalibak to deal with. I agree save Darkseid , give him a build up.

Instead of kryptonite powered maybe Metallo could be created by Lex with Kryptonian tech and just be ..you know.. that tough.

Doomsday might work if they used the TAS approach and gave him some personality but he's one of my last choices.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #175
JonKent
Side-Kick

Lex Luthor/Braniac of course with Braniac the 3 founding members of LOSH will travel in time to help Supes. This will of course take him to the future to see how important Superman is with metahumans and the forming of the League

JonKent is offline   Reply With Quote