Old 06-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #176
dark_b
Side-Kick

Default Re: Monsters Inc 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
Throwing shade: how Pixar changed the way light works for 'Monsters University'
http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/21/44...ers-university
here its explained. Double Negative used it on Total Recall.
http://graphics.pixar.com/library/Ra...hing/paper.pdf

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #177
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I'm pretty sure The Blue Umbrella was all CG which was insanely shocking to me because of the detail. I only noticed it when I saw a couple of the people and cars moving a little jerky.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #178
dark_b
Side-Kick

yes its all cgi. Pixar were experimenting with creating a photorealistic stylized world.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #179
terry78

My favorite character was probably Squishy. Dude is hilarity.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #180
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Pixar's lighting/rendering systems were completely redone for Monsters University.

Pixar is now using all ray tracing in their system!
http://thisanimatedlife.blogspot.fr/...-light-on.html

This is big for Pixar! They probably upped the ante in terms of quality giving audiences something better because they're afraid that the Disney suits are eyeing Prana Studios (who bought Rhythm and Hues) in India, where the Planes and Tinker Bell movies are made. Hey if Planes does well at the box office they may consider making all Pixar and Disney animated films in India for a tenth of the price!
I hope not; I want Pixar to stay at the good old America, not India. And Planes look meh.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #181
terry78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I hope not; I want Pixar to stay at the good old America, not India. And Planes look meh.
Having other countries do our work is what we're known for though.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #182
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

So far Pixar has only made sequels to the Toy Story and Cars franchises, but I will say that Monsters U, stands along Toy Story being of superior quality to Cars 2, which was a horrible animated film not worthy of Pixar's superb reputation in family entertainment.

Monsters U, being Pixar's first "prequel", it really delivers a solid story, and a good message to young children, and provides plenty of laughs for the adults.

Solid movie, I would recommend to anyone.

8/10

Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #183
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
yes its all cgi. Pixar were experimenting with creating a photorealistic stylized world.
Does anyone else think this might be where Disney is heading with their Marvel animation?

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #184
terry78

People are saying Disney really needs to start thinking about making some Marvel movies CG with this type of style if live action becomes too pricey.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #185
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Exactly. And with Big Hero 6, I wonder if this was also somewhat of a test like The Old Mill was for Snow White for example.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 06-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #186
CGHulk
Green Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
here its explained. Double Negative used it on Total Recall.
I already posted that, as Raiden replied above.

Double Negative is currently using RenderMan Pro Server 17.0.
http://renderman.pixar.com/view/Pres...ase_RPS17_RMS4

RenderMan Pro Server 18.0 is Pixar's big shading and lighting breakthrough!
http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/re...appy-birthday/

On Monster's University, Pixar's new RenderMan Pro Server 18.0 isn't even public yet. Pixar wants to show it off first before making it public.
http://renderman.pixar.com/view/commercial-pricing

Here's their official press release from June 3.
http://renderman.pixar.com/view/DP25648

Quote:
This year, Pixar’s “Monsters University” and “The Blue Umbrella” are showcasing new levels of photorealism, including major advancements in lighting that are directly attributable to technological breakthroughs in RenderMan’s system for creating physically-based global illumination. The upcoming release of RenderMan Pro Server 18.0 builds on this rich new feature set to deliver path tracing, accelerated re-rendering, and geometric area lights, as once again RenderMan evolves to meet the ever-increasing challenges of visual effects and animation production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
Exactly. And with Big Hero 6, I wonder if this was also somewhat of a test like The Old Mill was for Snow White for example.
Does it look like it's already in the pipeline over there?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 06-23-2013 at 03:55 AM.
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #187
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
I already posted that, as Raiden replied above.

Double Negative is using RenderMan Pro Server 17.0.
http://renderman.pixar.com/view/Pres...ase_RPS17_RMS4

RenderMan Pro Server 18.0 is Pixar's big shading and lighting breakthrough!
http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/re...appy-birthday/

On Monster's University, Pixar's new RenderMan Pro Server 18.0 isn't even public yet. Pixar wants to show it off first before they make it public.
http://renderman.pixar.com/view/commercial-pricing

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Double Negative used REnderman 16 on Total Recall. remember they started working on the movie in 2011.

in this podcast they said that they tryed the new Radiosity cache.and it was in some tests 50 times faster. it was only one line of code. so it must be inside as a experiment. maybe studios get beta software with more functions.
http://www.fxguide.com/fxpodcasts/fx...ting-pipeline/

i agree that in 18there will be a lot of new functions. for example the interactive render is new.

Last edited by dark_b; 06-23-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #188
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Does it look like it's already in the pipeline over there?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
It's in the works, but it seems more like concept art at this point with plenty of time left to go. Unless the release date is way sooner than I thought on it...

Old 06-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #189
terry78

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I thought I recognized that song style during the frat party scene.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #190
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Goin to see it today. I'm excited

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #191
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
It's in the works, but it seems more like concept art at this point with plenty of time left to go. Unless the release date is way sooner than I thought on it...
With Big Hero 6 slated for a release next year and the art style it already has, I don't think they're trying to go for a photo-realistic look.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #192
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
With Big Hero 6 slated for a release next year and the art style it already has, I don't think they're trying to go for a photo-realistic look.
Oh... still think it was probably an experiment, but unsure for what project it could be for though now.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #193
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Oh... still think it was probably an experiment, but unsure for what project it could be for though now.
Yeah it could be for a future project. Pixar's been experimenting lately with short ones like this and Paperman, so I too wonder if it's for something else.

Big Hero 6 will be a Disney movie, so maybe Pixar's Inside Out or The Good Dinosaur will use that art style.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #194
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Just got back from seeing it. While it's not one of Pixar's best and it's not as good as Monsters Inc., it's still pretty good. When I first heard about the movie, I was skeptical, but that was before I knew it would be a prequel. Putting the characters in a college atmosphere works. I loved all of the homages to college movies like Animal House and Revenge of the Nerds. There were a lot of new characters to keep track of, but Art was definitely my favorite. Probably because he was voiced by Charlie Day. But it was nice to see Mike and Sully again after so long. And the Roz cameo at the end was brilliant.

I was also very impressed with the Blue Umbrella short as well. Probably the best one they've done since Night & Day.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #195
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Just came back from seeing this. I probably haven't laughed this much in a movie ever. The guys in Oozma kappa were hilarious. I had a fantastic time and the emotional moments were just as fantastic as the humor. 9.5 from me.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #196
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

I love how they show the reason that Randall always has that squinting look on his face.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #197
Donut
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Good movie I liked it

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #198
Drizzle
Assemble Again

That 50 foot librarian had me laughing way more than I probably should have.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #199
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
That 50 foot librarian had me laughing way more than I probably should have.
Yeah! "Why do we gotta be scared of a librarian?" & then she's this gigantic creature... That was great. Loved the movie.

Spider-Man Luvr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #200
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Very good, way better than Brave and Cars II.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote