The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #51
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ouya: The Newest Gaming System

Well, apparently you can emulate 5th gen games on this thing. Not legally presumably, but that's something... I guess.

What did people expect for 100 bucks?

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #52
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
The 2nd coming of what? Its made up of f'ing cell phone parts. Its plays games that you can already play on a device thats probably sitting in your pocket right now.

Damn i swear im missing something about this thing. I just dont get it.

I literally saw people going around proclaiming this to be the rise of the open source people's console that would herald the end of AAA console manufacturers and developers and lead to some indie game nirvana.

Then this year people got really quiet about this thing as it became clear this was going to end up being kind of not good.

More reasonable individuals were cautious yet optimistic that it would become a legitimate indie platform.

I was pretty skeptical because unsurprisingly it turns out developing, manufacturing and successfully launching a console isn't all that easy. I've heard a lot of early backers still haven't recieved their Ouya's even though they were supposed to ahead of time and retail launch is in a few days.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #53
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
I literally saw people going around proclaiming this to be the rise of the open source people's console that would herald the end of AAA console manufacturers and developers and lead to some indie game nirvana.
*shudders*

That sounds awful.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #54
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Damn i swear im missing something about this thing. I just dont get it.
Have you ever played games that were in a Humble Bundle? Those are probably the types of games you'll see on this, stuff like Braid, Bastion, and World of Goo.

Last edited by Spidey-Bat; 06-22-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #55
Donut
Side-Kick

& this lets you play Android apk games as well. Its an Indie console. Im interested in one. But I will probably wait until the Ouya 2 or 3. Since they are doing yearly hardware upgraded releases. Eventually this thing will be powerful enough to emulate Dreamcast etc

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #56
Godzilla2000
Undisputed Kaiju Queen

Ouya is probably what most people say when they see the price of that thing.

- All I ask for is all that I already have.

- I bear no responsibility towards those who are the architects of their own problems. This is exactly what they've asked their willingly chosen slave drivers for...drama. So leave me out of it.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #57
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

This is out in UK tomorrow for £99.99. Anybody here gonna pick it up?

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #58
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Giantbomb checks out the Ouya on their TNT show for this week (subscriber only video)

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/thur...13/2300-7626/#

Spoiler:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Its a real ****ing mess.
Yeah, I watched some of it live and watched a little more in the archive. It was really a ****ing mess to see it unfold. I'm sure some of it was probably technical issues in getting it to air on the stream, but still.

I don't really get it, though. I think wanting to make a console that can be a main place for Indie games kinda makes sense, but when those games are readily available on Steam, XBLA and PSN...that's kinda where the whole thing falls apart for me. A game like Hotline Miami, which I've played on my laptop, seems like the sort of thing Ouya would be a good thing to get on it, as an example of where no AAA games will be...getting Indie games to be the attraction.

But, when a game like Hotline Miami is released on PSN (it's going to be this week), then it's a tough sell for me.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #59
zenith16
Side-Kick

Features

Julie Uhrman and Kim Swift Talk Ouya

The Android-powered Ouya is finally hitting stores, so Vic catches up with CEO Julie Uhrman for a look back at the development of the console, and chats with Portal creator Kim Swift about her Ouya-exclusive game Soul Fjord.

source:EPD.TV/ROTR

zenith16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #60
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

I just don't understand whatever slight hype this system has. Just feels like something that will come and go to me. Nothing big about the Ouya.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #61
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
Ouya is probably what most people say when they see the price of that thing.
But when they find out the type of games it'll have on it, that turns into "Uh...nah." Yeah, the Uhnah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
What did people expect for 100 bucks?
Exactly what we got.
Quote:

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 06-26-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #62
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I just don't understand whatever slight hype this system has. Just feels like something that will come and go to me. Nothing big about the Ouya.
it's for those that are looking for a start as that video shows . those that have an idea for a video game but don't have the funds of support and resources to start, but can through this and you might have another "Bastion," Mark of the ninja or Retro City Rampage. and if you have some one mike Kim swift on it then there's another reason. I wasn't gonna say anything prior but that latter part you have to wonder on with that.

Last edited by zenith16; 06-26-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #63
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
it's for those that are looking for a start as that video shows . those that have an idea for a video game but don't have the funds of support and resources to start, but can through this and you might have another "Bastion," Mark of the ninja or Retro City Rampage. and if you have some one mike Kim swift on it then there's another reason. I wasn't gonna say anything prior but that latter part you have to wonder on with that.
That's good, but I'm still not seeing what's big about this system.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #64
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
That's good, but I'm still not seeing what's big about this system.
it's just a creative outlet see the things as new ip's. I think most of the Indy people were thinking of a third option in case sony went the same Route as Microsoft went with the Xb1. some how they saw where microsoft was headed . and If option 1 and 2 aren't available to you , you create a new option for your self to survive.

it's how some people in business have become successful. it's just another outlet for them selves . and since those three titles I mentioned up top are what been hot of late form the indy scene they are just letting people Explore their creative sides where others like micro soft have some what shut the door on them. the indy scene has been very successful of late and some people seem to think it's being done better the some degrees of the same old stuff you'd see in AAA which having a hard time finding it's own identity cause alot of stuff is starting to look the same and to alot of people it's running out of idea's for unique idea's . Besides seeing FPS all the time.

Last edited by zenith16; 06-26-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #65
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
it's just a creative outlet see the thing is I think most of the indy people were thinking of a third option in case sony went the same Route as microsoft went with the Xb1. if option 1 and 2 are available to you you create a new option for your self to survive. it's how some people in business have become successful. it's just another outlet for them selves . and since those three titles are what been hot of late they are just letting people Explore their creative sides where others like microsoft have some what shut the door on them.
I see. I can understand that then. I just don't see this thing being very successful, but I suppose its nice to have around for times like that.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #66
zenith16
Side-Kick

we'll see what happens . it was just to have another out let so they won't be shut out and it'll let people with small dev studios start some where. if what they made is cool they be like the next bastion and the other two and be some what in demand for other consoles . but they may never have had that chance if there was never a door oprn for them. sony didn't fallow micro soft so it's a good thing but they just wanted to make sure they have someplace to put out stuff.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #67
zenith16
Side-Kick

WSJ: Google developing Android console; eyes on Apple, Ouya

(17 minutes ago)

Google is developing a game console that runs on Android, Wall Street Journal reports. The console is in development alongside a wrist watch powered by Android.

Google is interested in the console and watch as a buffer against whatever devices Apple has planned for the future, the report says. One person mentioned that Google has been watching the Ouya, the Kickstarted and open Android console that just launched to the public for $99 a pop. Amazon sold out of its Ouya stock early in the first day, but is back in business now.

As for the watch, wearable computing isn't a new idea – it's one that Valve founder Gabe Newell in particular finds intriguing. Valve is working on a Steam Box, which is so far described as a cheap, in-home streaming console that runs on Linux. Newell, like Google, is also keeping a close eye on Apple.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #68
zenith16
Side-Kick

Reviews

OUYA Review

Victor and Scott get their hands on the OUYA

synopsis:Victor and Scott got their hands on the OUYA. All games are available for demo before purchasing, but most of the games don't look that great on a tv. As they said on the full show, there will be a buyer guide on the way so you which other are the ones you to try out on you tv's

and they have a pod cast talking about this on vic's basement.com as well. which is on I tune's stitcher, and now youtube too.

scott's score 5.0 Vic's score 7.5

Shows

June 28 – Reviews on the Run – Full Show

Protect the President in White House Down, visit Monaco to discover What's Yours Is Mine, the OUYA has arrived, there are plenty of free games in If It's Free It's For Me, and team up with little budd.

source:EPD.TV/ROTR

Old 06-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #69
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Looks like Google wants to knock this thing off.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #70
jacobed
Banned User

They'll easily make a better system

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #71
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

*sighs* I had my doubts about this console, couldn't really see it ushering in a whole new way of gaming. One of my coworkers purchased an Ouya and once I tried the console out, I was pretty underwhelmed by what it had to offer. Navigating through the menus was horrible, and you would think the console would have had a feature implemented to allow a person with EXISTING android games on their memory card the ability to play those games on the console. All of this "sideloading" business and what not should not be necessary. If I really wanted to hop on an android console.....I'll wait for google or Mad Catz to drop theirs

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #72
zenith16
Side-Kick

something I had forgotten to put up

Ouya Works Much Better With A PlayStation 3 Controller. June 30, 2013 . 10:28am

The biggest problem with the Ouya hardware is the controller. Itís bulky and the face buttons can get stuck in the shell. Hereís some good news Ė you donít have to use the Ouya controller to play games with it.

source:Siliconera

Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #73
Octoberist
point blank

There's no real buzz for this, besides it's publicized stint during E3.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #74
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
There's no real buzz for this, besides it's publicized stint during E3.
Because every outlet I have read was not thrilled by it. If you want a way to play your Nintendo ROMS on your TV, here you go.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #75
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

the Ouya is will end up the "PSP Go" of the android consoles once Mad Catz and Google release theirs

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote