Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #976
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
Season 1 seemed so complete because they had nearly finished everything before Season 2, and then Seasons 3 and 4, were announced. They originally planned to do only one season, hence why everything was wrapped up, and also why Season 2 hasn't been released yet. They're still working on it.

Also, since Bryan and Mike are doing more storyboarding duties and whatnot, they've given a majority of the writing duties to other writers. This will probably result in the writing being more even and polished than in Season 1 and the rest of the seasons flowing together a lot better.
So basically, they learned from season one. Mainly, get better writers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
I can't honestly address the props he gave the show; I only recall some of his critiques that I disagreed with. So, as far as his critiques go, I disagree with his assessment of Mako (and maybe Korra too? I don't remember if he called her a jerk too in respect to the thing with Bolin) as a jerk. From my perspective, Mako was focused on making a name for his bending team while Bolin read Korra the wrong way; thus I didn't really feel too bad for him.

As for bloodbending, I can accept that Amon was probably able to increase the blood vessels' vasopermeabilty, drawing in blood proteins, cells, and fluid to create clots that blocked the benders' chi.

I disagreed with his assessment of Korra as a hero; he says attempted murderer when she confronted Amon's brother. I say hero who did what she needed. Calling out Amon early on was simply a character flaw that went hand in hand with her hotheadedness.
Wow so, I missed this for two months.

I pretty much agreed on all the shipping argument, especially the fact that it took up a lot of time and did not reflect well on the characters. Mako is a 2-timing fool and Korra is spends a lot of the season being defined by her feelings for the fool. It isn't that she simply acts irrational, but she acts like a bad person. Bolin and Asami are shat on by the pair. Don't see anyway around that. Also, in a show with such limited time, they spent a whole lotta of time focusing on it, that it did start to becoming defining.

Also, I think it is more then fair to say that Korra is a violent psychopath at times. She thinks with force first, and does thing that are very, very violent. Aang already showed in the first series that killing someone is no laughing matter. Her willingness to go so far so quickly is telling about her personality.

The review actually applauded the Amon call out, and I do agree with that. I think it was good character work for Korra. Sadly they was put to the side for most of the season and completely crushed at the end of the season.

Finally on the bloodbending, while you can make up any explanation you like, it doesn't change they gave no reasoning for what was going on at all. Heck, removing the need for the full moon was a huge flaw imo.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 06-21-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #977
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
So basically, they learned from season one.
Well, no... Basically they acted towards what was planned, which was only 12 episodes. You can't call their subsequent decisions "mistakes" if you understand what their situation was.

You could make the argument that Bryan and Mike made a mistake in agreeing to only one season in the first place, and that they should have held out for the guarantee of 3 seasons, but that would be a very, very foolish argument.

My biggest concern is whether Book 2 was already written/underway before Books 3 and 4 were green lit. If it was, then Book 2 will probably be another standalone story like Book 1, rather than the first third of a three-season story arc. Does anyone know whether this is the case?

Quote:
So basically, they learned from season one. Mainly, get better writers.
EDIT: I thought Bryan and Mike did all the writing for Book 1? I read an interview where they said that they did much more writing for LoK Book 1, percentage-wise, than they did for A:TLA. Or are you saying that the other writers will be better writers than Bryan and Mike?

Last edited by spideymouse; 06-21-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #978
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
My biggest concern is whether Book 2 was already written/underway before Books 3 and 4 were green lit. If it was, then Book 2 will probably be another standalone story like Book 1, rather than the first third of a three-season story arc. Does anyone know whether this is the case?
I don't have any links, but they've stated that each season of LoK would be a self contained story. But it's always possible that they changed their minds. If each season break is going to be this long though, I'd prefer each one to be a stand alone story myself.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #979
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
I don't have any links, but they've stated that each season of LoK would be a self contained story. But it's always possible that they changed their minds. If each season break is going to be this long though, I'd prefer each one to be a stand alone story myself.
Interesting...thanks for the tidbit! (I've only recently tried to catch up on all things LoK so I've been out of the loop.)

Personally, I kind of hope Seasons 3 and 4 draw out a longer story arc. I can understand and imagine with Book 2 being called Spirits that Korra has a specific lesson to learn and challenge to overcome, but I guess I want to feel that sense of scale and scope again, a story that would span and affect every corner of the Avatar world. Maybe that's too much to ask for, since it's something that's already been delivered in full, in A:TLA.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #980
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, no... Basically they acted towards what was planned, which was only 12 episodes. You can't call their subsequent decisions "mistakes" if you understand what their situation was.

You could make the argument that Bryan and Mike made a mistake in agreeing to only one season in the first place, and that they should have held out for the guarantee of 3 seasons, but that would be a very, very foolish argument.

The decisions was knowing you are writing a show that was 12 episodes and then writing it like it wasn't.

I honestly don't understand the argument here. They knew they had 12 episodes. They knew how much time they had. So why did they waste it and muck about the way they did?

Then there is the ending. The ending in concept can work, with the right story. They didn't write that story. They instead gave us Korra, the worst example of an Avatar we have seen yet. The one that messed up so bad, Aang had to hit the reset button.

The standalone nature was never the problem. How it was written is. Using your time wisely is a fundamental bit of script writing.

Quote:
EDIT: I thought Bryan and Mike did all the writing for Book 1? I read an interview where they said that they did much more writing for LoK Book 1, percentage-wise, than they did for A:TLA. Or are you saying that the other writers will be better writers than Bryan and Mike?
Yes they did. Which was the problem. Writing isn't their strong suit. All you need to do is watch ATLA and the first season of Korra to see the difference in quality. The strength of ATLA was the writing. John O'Bryan, Elizabeth Welch Ehasz, and Aaron Ehasz were the real standouts. Also, I am pretty sure O'Bryan was the defacto head writer, and thus went over the majority of scripts himself. Hence the quality control.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 06-21-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:00 AM   #981
Pepsiguy2
Side-Kick

Any update on when its coming back?

Old 06-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #982
Tanin
Side-Kick

Old 06-22-2013, 04:28 AM   #983
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

This show is so pretty.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #984
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Also, I think it is more then fair to say that Korra is a violent psychopath at times. She thinks with force first, and does thing that are very, very violent. Aang already showed in the first series that killing someone is no laughing matter. Her willingness to go so far so quickly is telling about her personality.
Wait, what? Korra was a psychopath at times? Did you watch the same show i did?

Quote:
Finally on the bloodbending, while you can make up any explanation you like, it doesn't change they gave no reasoning for what was going on at all. Heck, removing the need for the full moon was a huge flaw imo.
Removing the need for a full moon was what made their abilities so dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #985
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Wait, what? Korra was a psychopath at times? Did you watch the same show i did?
Korra has no restraint. Look at how she handles the robbery when she first arrives. She is a blunt force object. Just because she live in a world where people can control fire and water, doesn't mean that she should be using them as weapons anytime she annoyed. She threatens to hurt the protestor she meets early on because his words bothered her. She over steps. From 0 to 60 in no time.

Just because you can punch someone with water, or shoot them with fire, doesn't mean you aren't doing incredible violent things to them. Would it be different if everyone Korra ran into, she beat down with her bare hands?

There is also the point that she isn't actually law enforcement.

Quote:
Removing the need for a full moon was what made their abilities so dangerous
I found it cheap and contrived. The only way they could find to make them dangerous was to break the rules they established? You know what would have made Amon truly incredible? Like on Azula level? If he was truly just a man. Not a bender, but a man who defined the class system imposed by the nature of bending.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #986
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Korra was just immature with a quick-temper, she wasn't a violent psychopath.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #987
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

Korra is awesome.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #988
Lobo
Paige

need to subscribe to this thread

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath. And, if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever." ~Warrior

RIP Ultimate Warrior
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #989
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
I found it cheap and contrived. The only way they could find to make them dangerous was to break the rules they established? You know what would have made Amon truly incredible? Like on Azula level? If he was truly just a man. Not a bender, but a man who defined the class system imposed by the nature of bending.
The moon made waterbenders more powerful, the same way Sozin's comet increases firebender's powers. If you're na incredible bender then you will be able to do things that other benders need boosts in power to accomplish.

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #990
Drakepool
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Mustache Guy's got nothing on Lieutenant.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #991
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Korra was just immature with a quick-temper, she wasn't a violent psychopath.
My husband isn't abusive. He just has a quick-temper.

Quote:
The moon made waterbenders more powerful, the same way Sozin's comet increases firebender's powers. If you're na incredible bender then you will be able to do things that other benders need boosts in power to accomplish.
The comet enhanced their abilities, it didn't allow them to do new ones. bloodbending has always been different from metalbending and lightning.

Katara is arguably the finest waterbender the show has seen. She can't do it.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 06-23-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #992
Charlie Boy
Mediocrity Is Odd To Me

Yes she can.

Who's The Best? They Holla Me

@DomEsclovon

Old 06-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #993
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Boy View Post
Yes she can.
Without the full moon? Everyone is in complete shock when they realized Yakone and Tarrlok didn't need the full moon.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #994
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
She had just arrived the city, she didn't know the world was so gray, most of the time she was trying to survive during fights.
Quote:
The comet enhanced their abilities, it didn't allow them to do new ones. bloodbending has always been different from metalbending and lightning.

Katara is arguably the finest waterbender the show has seen. She can't do it.
Not really, our body is mostly made of water, controling blood shouldn't be that far fetched for a powerful enough waterbender, the same way earthbenders can control metal, even though it's not entirelly made of earth.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #995
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Yes, compare a 17-year-old girl to a grown man. That's perfectly logical

Your complaints about the show are slowly becoming more ridiculous. First Korra is a violent psychopath and now she's like an abusive spouse? What scenes are evidence of this? She fought a group of thugs who were harassing some people and then threw the first punch at her?

Last edited by Spidey-Bat; 06-23-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #996
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Korra has no restraint. Look at how she handles the robbery when she first arrives. She is a blunt force object. Just because she live in a world where people can control fire and water, doesn't mean that she should be using them as weapons anytime she annoyed. She threatens to hurt the protestor she meets early on because his words bothered her. She over steps. From 0 to 60 in no time.

Just because you can punch someone with water, or shoot them with fire, doesn't mean you aren't doing incredible violent things to them. Would it be different if everyone Korra ran into, she beat down with her bare hands?

There is also the point that she isn't actually law enforcement.
There's also the point that a psychopath is anti-social, and has no capacity for remorse, and has no control over their behavior. A psychopath wouldn't have threatened the protester at all. Korra is violent and easily provoked. Overreacting or being violent when one feels threatened is the complete opposite of being psychopathic.

If you don't like the character, and you think heroes should have more self control and/or be more docile, that's fine. Say that. Don't overstep and go from 0 to 60.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #997
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

And also psychopath doesn't cry or get scared when put in a situation they can't control. Korra did. She's headstong sure, a little overeager at times but she aint psycho.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #998
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
She had just arrived the city, she didn't know the world was so gray, most of the time she was trying to survive during fights.
This isn't really true though. She confronts people, and does so in a violent and aggressive manner.

Quote:
Not really, our body is mostly made of water, controling blood shouldn't be that far fetched for a powerful enough waterbender, the same way earthbenders can control metal, even though it's not entirelly made of earth.
I think I am not explaining myself very well. It isn't that bloodbending doesn't make sense, it is that it was framed as a technique that needed the full moon to be realized. Now, they can change the rules any time you like. It is after their show. But when you can't work inside the framework of the rules you set out, usually it is bad writing imo. It is the difference between Dragonball and early DBZ and what came later. When everyone just had to keep getting stronger and stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Yes, compare a 17-year-old girl to a grown man. That's perfectly logical

Your complaints about the show are slowly becoming more ridiculous. First Korra is a violent psychopath and now she's like an abusive spouse? What scenes are evidence of this? She fought a group of thugs who were harassing some people and then threw the first punch at her?
What does her being 17 years old or a girl have to do with anything? Do you believe teens are incapable of violent crime? Avoiding real life parrells for a second, this is the successor to Aang. The 12 year old boy who resisted executing a mass murderer, even as everyone, including his former incarnations, told him he had no other choice.

Korra's violent nature isn't a "complaint". I am just describing her character. Zuko was also violent. The kid ran around trying to set a 12 year old boy on fire for 40 episodes, but he was "redeemed" in the end (personally, I call bull on that). And if you are looking for the evidence, go and watch the Korra-analysis thing I brought up a while back. As I said before, I don't agree with all of it, but I think the commentary on the plot, characters and overall writing are both intriguing and generally on point.

Go back and watch how Korra handles her confrontation with Tarrlok. Yes he attacks first, but she responds like an 80s action star, in it for the blood, guts and pain. Not the justice. The end is extremely telling. She has him at her mercy. He is there to be arrested and what does she do? She taunts him and then proceed to attempt to murder him. Then bloodbending comes into play.

The footage is here. Starts around the 35 sec mark. What is she doing with the fire if not attempting to at least severely injury Tarrlok? This, after she has him at her mercy and is taunting him.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
There's also the point that a psychopath is anti-social, and has no capacity for remorse, and has no control over their behavior. A psychopath wouldn't have threatened the protester at all. Korra is violent and easily provoked. Overreacting or being violent when one feels threatened is the complete opposite of being psychopathic.

If you don't like the character, and you think heroes should have more self control and/or be more docile, that's fine. Say that. Don't overstep and go from 0 to 60.
Psychopath is over doing it. You are right. But implying that Korra does what she does because she feels threatened is completely bogus. Watch the clip above. Does she seem threatened? The only time she is in fear during the series is when Amon is around. He is the only one that can "threaten" her. Which is why she turns to mush when he shows up. Even with Tarrlok and his bloodbending, she can find her courage. But with Amon? She ran the other way, smartly might I add.

I don't dislike her character. I like Korra. But that doesn't change her character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWolf View Post
And also psychopath doesn't cry or get scared when put in a situation they can't control. Korra did. She's headstong sure, a little overeager at times but she aint psycho.
Why is attempting to murder, or at least severely injury a person just "overeager" or "headstrong"? Especially one that you apparently have at your mercy.

On the Korra crying thing. Most, if not all her tears, are about her. Her own self preservation or fears. Very self-centered young girl.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 06-24-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #999
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Your idea of what a psychopath is has to be incredibly loose to consider Korra to be one.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki Kamiya
Is that IGN thing your god or something?
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #1000
Charlie Boy
Mediocrity Is Odd To Me

I wish there was some sort of gif with someone rolling their eyes so hard that their head explodes.

Who's The Best? They Holla Me

@DomEsclovon

Closed Thread