The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Are the screening responses a good sign for MOS?
Yes. 46 73.02%
No. 2 3.17%
I don't think they mean much. 15 23.81%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #51
Sup3rman81
Banned User

Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Sorry but it was most certainly bad advice. And his concern was never well founded as many people who Clark saved realized he must have been different but it never caused an uproar or the end of civilization . Bad advice at worst, dubious advice at best.
who are you trying to convince?? ME?!!! I know how I took it and it was not his advice to let people die. He just was answering Clarks question. He never told Clark to let people die. He just wanted him to be more careful and not expose himself like he was doing. Your whole arguement is weak. And instead of it coming off as an opinion you are trying to tell me that it was bad advice and I am wrong. An opinion would start out something like, "I dont feel or I didnt like" Not telling me SORRY IT IS! You are are like the rest of the people trying to manipulate the thoughts of others.

Sup3rman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #52
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
From what me and others here have heard, the 3rd act was a mess and WB brought Jonah to ghost-rewrite it.
I heard the same, but recently Goyer came out and said "Contrary to what was reported Jonah didn't touch it and I was the only writer on this movie". So, it's his word against the rumors basically.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #53
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rman81 View Post
who are you trying to convince?? ME?!!! I know how I took it and it was not his advice to let people die. He just was answering Clarks question. He never told Clark to let people die. He just wanted him to be more careful and not expose himself like he was doing. Your whole arguement is weak. And instead of it coming off as an opinion you are trying to tell me that it was bad advice and I am wrong. An opinion would start out something like, "I dont feel or I didnt like" Not telling me SORRY IT IS! You are are like the rest of the people trying to manipulate the thoughts of others.
Sorry I phrased it that way, I promise I'm not trying to manipulate you into disliking something you liked.

"these aren't the droids you're looking for.."

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #54
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
its not about making your opinion its about how some people try to convince others it wasnt that good. there is a difference. If you didnt like it or kind of liked it thats fine but people on here to try to convince other wise

Yeah I can see that. We should all just respect each others views and not call each "crazy" or "fanboys" when we disagree. If I've done that to anyone I apologize. I enjoy having a forum to voice opinions on topics like this, in day to day life most people aren't nearly as invested as they are here. It's nice to see that passion and to even challenge each others views to a degree. I enjoy seeing posts that express thoughts similar to mine and those that don't. Some are very convincing and have me looking forward to seeing the film again to see if the 2nd time around is different.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #55
Autonet
What?

No need to apologize for your opinion.

Autonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #56
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonet View Post
No need to apologize for your opinion.
Thanks. I'm just apologizing if I've unintentionally offended anyone by the way I worded something not simply what I said. I'm here to have fun.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #57
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded"

You have nothing to apologize for man. The ridiculous hyper-sensitivity of others isn't your problem. It's theirs.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #58
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
Sorry but it was most certainly bad advice. And his concern was never well founded as many people who Clark saved realized he must have been different but it never caused an uproar or the end of civilization . Bad advice at worst, dubious advice at best.
Why would someone he saved cause a negative up roar(that comes later when the planet does it's little ungrateful cliche). But if dude just revealed himself without saving the world, it's safe to assume not everyone would act as nice about it as people who's lives were just saved.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #59
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
I feel like the complainers didnt actually watch the film. They didnt pay attention to anything.
.... and I feel like you're ignorant of other people's interpretations that are clearly well thought out and explained.

Quote:
its not about making your opinion its about how some people try to convince others it wasnt that good. there is a difference. If you didnt like it or kind of liked it thats fine but people on here to try to convince other wise
You're being a hypocrite.

You're sitting there in the same breath trying to convince everyone who didn't like it of it's greatness.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 06-21-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #60
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellepheron View Post
- The action. Never before have I prayed for an action sequence to stop to save my senses until this movie. It just seemed like it was minute after minute of relentless explosions, everyone zipping around so fast I couldn't see half of it. It was like watching a pin ball machine, and Smallville was the table. The Matrix Revolutions handled two super beings fighting far better, and The Avengers handled city wide destruction far better. I expected better of Zak Snyder in this department.
Oh I know man. It felt truly bizarre sitting there wanting it to end when I was finally getting a true superpowered fight.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #61
Glassjaw
In training

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=34t0QQP...ature=g-high-u

Angry Joe's review, really glad he liked it, his enthusiasm is infectious

Glassjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #62
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=34t0QQP...ature=g-high-u

Angry Joe's review, really glad he liked it, his enthusiasm is infectious
His interview with Major Nelson was legendary fan-to-developer PWNage.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #63
Sup3rman81
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
.... and I feel like you're ignorant of other people's interpretations that are clearly well thought out and explained.

You're being a hypocrite.

You're sitting there in the same breath trying to convince everyone who didn't like it of it's greatness.
I never tried to convince anyone. I expressed how I felt about the movie. And I do not think I even responded to anything you said so not sure why you have anything to say to me. But have a wonderful day

Sup3rman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #64
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Saw it today and loved it. Never been the biggest of Superman fans, but this movie made me care about the character. I was a bit overwhelmed by this first viewing and might go and see it a second time. But I loved Cavill in the role. He was commanding and vulnerable at the same. He was Superman/Clark Kent.

I'd place the movie on the same level as BB, as far as origin and superhero movies go. Don't really get where the idea that this is somehow a dark version of Superman comes from. The movie had plenty of heart and hope. Kudos to Snyder - when he's not making stinkers like Sucker Punch, he generally does quality stuff such as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
What dialogue are you referring to in the classroom?

I dunno. I thought this was Goyer's most restrained, appropriately toned, best-written script yet. What dialogue?
This. I thought the humour was well-timed as well. Loved Ma Kent's "Nice suit, son" line.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #65
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Just watched Man of Steel today. In a nutshell, great spectacle at the expense of heart. Snyder cuts the heartfelt scenes short while spending like an hour masturbating to Michael Bay levels of colossal destruction. I did enjoy it though, overall. Cavill and Adams didn't have enough chemistry for me to buy their kiss, Costner and Fishburne didn't have enough screentime and Costner's death scene was too goofy to have the "ERMAGHERD NOT PA KENT!!!" impact I feel like it was meant to, and Goyer's clunky on-the-nose dialogue was flying proudly. I did find Shannon as Zod surprisingly restrained and three-dimensional and almost more misguided than evil, which made him kinda interesting.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #66
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

My review: http://www.jestersreviews.com/reviews/1910

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #67
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Saw it for a second time this weekend so I can pick up on things and it seems to flow better with another viewing but my score of 9 out of 10 still doesn't change. Like others have mentioned the action is a bit too fast paced, you can barely get your bearings and make out what's going on and who's punching who.

Don't know how Clark can hold onto his indentity when at this point not only Lois knows his ID which is fine by me but now so does Pete Ross and possibly Lana Lang if she makes a return in the sequel.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #68
Cosmic
Theosophist

I saw this a couple of days ago. Yes, it was truly epic, with quality acting, amazing action, and a great retelling of the origin story. However, there were missteps and problems throughout that really brought it down from being a great Superman movie. I believe the problems are essentially a result of the director trying too hard to "force the issue." Some examples of this are: Pa getting killed by the tornado, 33 year-old Clark coming home and excitedly exclaiming to Ma that he's found his real parents...and then not understanding her less-than-enthusiastic reaction, and the entire classroom hanging around outside the locked closet (even after Ma comes to help...can't they give them a moment in private? Are they that cruel? Or bored?).

The worst example of this "forcing" is of course, Superman breaking Zod's neck. Zod initially sets the terms: one of us must die. When Superman ultimately kills him, he gives in to Zod's terms. In a way, Zod wins. By focusing on killing the humans, he basically gave up trying to kill Superman and instead forced him into a no-win situation. Right here is where Superman should have displayed true heroism and found an alternative solution to defy Zod's terms. But apparently, Snyder insisted that Superman must kill Zod, and so we get this forced scene where Superman is set up to fail by the filmmakers, and is morally defeated and demoralized.

There are a lot of other problems with the film, as well as quite a few aspects that I genuinely loved. But this was a critical flaw. I'm not even going as far to say that Superman must never kill. All I'm saying is, the way it played out in MOS was an epic failure that deserves harsh criticism.

In summary, this film deserves credit for doing some good and great things, and also should be recognized for it's glaring problems. The overall tone was so heavy, stark and grim...the apocalyptic spectacle and degree of violence and destruction is going to be too much for some kids (and adults) who want to enjoy a fun Superman movie. And I think something about that is just wrong.

On a scale of 1-10, I rate MOS a 7/10. But as a Superman movie, it failed. I hope someone listens and considers making the sequel lighter, more fun and engaging, and most of all, lifts Superman up to being the hero that he deserves to be.

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #69
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

^ Excellent post.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #70
Cosmic
Theosophist

Thanks. I know I'm late to the party, but I had to throw in my 2 cents. I have a lot more to say about it...will likely do an extended analysis after I see it again and find some downtime.

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #71
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Saw it for a second time this weekend so I can pick up on things and it seems to flow better with another viewing but my score of 9 out of 10 still doesn't change. Like others have mentioned the action is a bit too fast paced, you can barely get your bearings and make out what's going on and who's punching who.

Don't know how Clark can hold onto his indentity when at this point not only Lois knows his ID which is fine by me but now so does Pete Ross and possibly Lana Lang if she makes a return in the sequel.
I liked how in S:TAS Lana explains how she pretty much figured out who Clark was years ago. It was a cool contrast to his relationship w/ Lois. I'm hoping she doesn't show up in any sequels though because she'd just be a distraction.

My website :My NEW Fan Art thread
blksuperman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #72
darthganon

I think the reason some people are so gung-ho about this movie succeeding, regardless of how good it is, is because they feel the future of DC films rides on it.

darthganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #73
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Just watched Man of Steel today. In a nutshell, great spectacle at the expense of heart. Snyder cuts the heartfelt scenes short while spending like an hour masturbating to Michael Bay levels of colossal destruction. I did enjoy it though, overall. Cavill and Adams didn't have enough chemistry for me to buy their kiss, Costner and Fishburne didn't have enough screentime and Costner's death scene was too goofy to have the "ERMAGHERD NOT PA KENT!!!" impact I feel like it was meant to, and Goyer's clunky on-the-nose dialogue was flying proudly. I did find Shannon as Zod surprisingly restrained and three-dimensional and almost more misguided than evil, which made him kinda interesting.

Agree with that completely. I don't understand those who felt Shannon's performance was bad, or bland. I thought he was probably the most sympathetic and empathetic villain in a CBM I've seen since probably Spiderman 2.

113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #74
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Finally got around to seeing the movie. A solid 7/10 for me, a good popcorn blockbuster if ultimately forgettable one. Went in with a lot of expectation after trailer #3 hyped me up to no end, but felt the trailer told the better story than the actual movie - think the editing especially let the movie down. Maybe the director's cut can rectify this issue.

While the CGI and big action scenes were well done - the Smallville fight was excellent - it become excessive by the time Supe's mano a mano with Zod came about. Spectacle was present but there wasn't either any payoff (emotional or otherwise) or scenes which screamed epic. Just very Transformers-esque. In comparison, I thought Chronicle's end superpowered fight was more gripping with more stakes involved. People were hurt and bloodied, property damaged - felt grittier and hence more involving because of the raw mix of CGI and practical effects.

Loved the ending scene and line, and wished there was more of the same. The movie suffered from the lack of such wow moments, movie magic moments. Didn't mind the lack of humour, since Snyder and Goyer were going for the more steely, more realistic approach, which makes the "I just think he's kinda hot" line seems all the more out of place.

But it ended on a high note, and I'm very much looking forward to the sequel. Great cast of actors, and Henry Cavill is definitely this generation's man of steel.

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #75
Nathan

Just got back from watching Man of Steel. This was truly an epic spectacle. Beyond a few minor nitpicks, I didn't have too many issues with the Movie. Sure, there are some scenes that the script could have handled better, but there was nothing in the movie that took me out of the moment multiple times, like Iron Man 3 did. Action-wise, the bar as been raised once more for Superhero movies. I easily give this a 9/10.