Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #901
KevanG
Brony

Default Re: Tomb Raider (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
Amazon has had it for $30 for a while now. I plan on getting it for PS3 real soon. I already rented it so I finished it, but I loved it so much that I knew I would get it at some point.
I had a few bills show up so that's being put aside for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gamgee View Post
I bought a used X-Box 360 copy for $22. Like new w/ a clean disc. Pretty happy with the purchase. Now I'm keeping my eyes open for similar deals on the newest Bioshock.
Amazon.ca had a 1/2 off deal for BI a few weeks back. That's where I got my copy. Now it's back to $55.

Deadly Premonition - The best horror game you've never played.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #902
Havok83
Side-Kick

I just started playing and I HATE the QTEs in this game. Im unnecessarily playing sections multiple times bc they are so difficult to connect

Old 06-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #903
KevanG
Brony

Have you tried RE6?

One guy made a song about it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Deadly Premonition - The best horror game you've never played.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #904
Havok83
Side-Kick

nope, have been avoiding that after hearing how crappy it is. Maybe one day when I have nothing else to play

Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #905
James
Built from Lego

They do take a little getting used to, that odd circular thing that shows up is quite peculiar at first. Once you know what's going though, it's no trouble.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #906
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Also I feel that the game is much more QTE heavy in the early goings and then lets off once the action gets going proper.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #907
James
Built from Lego

I'd definitely agree with that.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #908
jacobed
Banned User

There are barely any after the first hour or so

Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #909
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

And the QTE in the game is not as intrusive as the ones in Res evil 6 IMO. You'd get used to it pretty quick.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #910
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Was it just me, or were they all just for the same button?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #911
Drz
Real Hero

Practically, yes.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #912
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

I found the game really enjoyable...... When it's not being Uncharted. The QTEs are the second worst thing. And the multiplayer proves that it's trying to be Uncharted. Obviously, the developers wasted too much resources in making the set pieces and multiplayer.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #913
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

It takes pretty liberally from Uncharted, I don't think people would dispute that too much, but too be fair, a lot of the concept behind Uncharted was something Tomb Raider did well before UC was even thought of. So, it's kind of a circle of borrowing. Though, honestly, I never felt TR was trying to be UC per say. They play similarly, but TR seemed less action based than the UC games.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #914
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

I hate quick time events, the first Uncharted game had that.

I am a Batmanite
Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #915
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

QTEs are fine in moderation, and used to break up intense gameplay. The original God of War did it pretty brilliantly, but most who have picked it up afterward haven't done it as well.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #916
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Definitely a good game, but it had a few problems. Main game was too short, the first half was way too action packed (needed some breathers), those QTE got old fast, and the melee was underdeveloped. I also found the villain rather dull.

Still, probably one of the best games of the year.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #917
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
It takes pretty liberally from Uncharted, I don't think people would dispute that too much, but too be fair, a lot of the concept behind Uncharted was something Tomb Raider did well before UC was even thought of. So, it's kind of a circle of borrowing. Though, honestly, I never felt TR was trying to be UC per say. They play similarly, but TR seemed less action based than the UC games.
What made me enjoy TR more were the stuff that weren't in Uncharted, like the RPG elements, and the "open-world".

And I also think its unfair to say certain games feel like Uncharted in the same way that open world sandbox games are compared to GTA. Sure they're similar, but its not like they were ripping off any original ideas, but rather taking a combination of ideas that worked in the past and combining them to fit into a new experience, which is pretty much what Uncharted did when it first came out.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #918
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

I don't know, it definitely felt very Uncharted-ish to me in the combat mechanics and action sequences. Not a criticism, though, I liked UC, and I always thought TR would do good to borrow from it since the concepts were so similar.

Quote:
Old 06-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #919
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

The rpg elements are great. Loved upgrading my weapons

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10, TMNT- 7.5/10, Maze Runner- 8/10, Expendables 3- 7/10, Interstellar-9/10, Big Hero 6- 8.5/10
Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #920
Havok83
Side-Kick

Ive wanted upgrades in Uncharted and open world is something I hope is incorporated into the PS4 entry to the series.

One thing this game did borrow from UC is the combat as it always sucked when it came to humans. The shooting mechanics are vastly improved and it now has a cover system which makes things feel better. The game also has a very cinematic approach to the story telling, which definetly feels inspired by Uncharted

Old 06-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #921
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I definitely preferred the shooting in TR over UC, the guns just felt more satisfying and reliable and their contextual cover is honestly one of the best cover systems I've ever played.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #922
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I do appreciate the gameplay mechanic, but I would really like to just be able to use weapons we find. How cool would it be to be able to use a nambu, or a katana we find on the island?

Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #923
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

What rating would you give? A solid 8 or decent 7?

I am a Batmanite
Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #924
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

If I would give Tomb Raider a rating, it'd be viable for an 8.... Depending on when I finish it.

Pros:
- It's not all set pieces.
- Some neat puzzles.
- Neat characters.
- Shooting works.
- Mess up and you're DEAD.
- Linearity does great in the game.
- Lots of stuff to explore.
- Music fits.
- Believable voice acting.
- If you wait and hide from the enemies, you can hear what they think.
- One level that's so creepy and stealthy. Resident evil should take notes.

Cons:
- Some uncharted-esque set pieces. I can understand doing slow motion for gameplay, but there are a few that are ridiculous.
- Pacing for Lara's growth is a bit shaky. One minute she's stealthy survivor, next she's Rambo.
- Supporting characters play second fiddle. Really wanted to like the characters even more, but the game focuses on Lara 99% of the game.
- QTEs. Combine that with the uncharted set pieces, it becomes one of the worst things ever made.
- Multiplayer is so bad, that people are gonna wonder why it's there in the first place.
- That crawl and roll button is stupid... Especially in combat. There should've been just the roll and should've given a crouch button.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #925
James
Built from Lego

Man, I loved the frantic crawl/scramble that she did. It made more sense to me that a novice as she was would frantically scurry across the floor, rather than doing a bad ass roll all the time.

One thing I found really interesting, and I don't know if it was intentional or not, was the advice Lara receives early to "keep moving." Whatever the situation, keep moving. This was absolutely true in almost every combat situation, if you sat still for too long you were up poop creek, but jump, scurry and run, your chances of survival would sky rocket.

Closed Thread