The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Mirror's Edge 2 in development at DICE

Mirror's Edge 2 is in production at Battlefield developer DICE, and the game's existence is regarded as general knowledge in the Stockholm dev scene, former EA free-to-play boss Ben Cousins has revealed on Twitter.

"It is general knowledge in the Stockholm dev scene that Mirror's Edge 2 is in production at DICE," he Tweeted.

The revelation follows an OXM interview with EA Games VP Patrick Soderlund in which he states DICE doesn't want to be known only as the Battlefield studio.

"The DICE guys are roughly 300 people in the Stockholm studio; not all of them are working on Battlefield things, and that's intentional, because we don't want to become a Battlefield factory," he said.

"The minute we start saying 'you're going to make a Battlefield game for the rest of your life' they're going to go some place else. So for them to make great Battlefield games there need to be other things for them to do as well. That's why we have people who move around quite a bit. And then obviously we have a boatload of people that just want to make Battlefield because they love it."

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/mirrors..._f2p_boss.html

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Default Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in development at DICE

Sweet. I liked the first one. It was a cool change of pace

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
irapogi
Side-Kick

Yes

irapogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
CJ
Derpy Derp

Finally!

CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I thought Mirror's Edge was flawed but it was oozing with potential.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
zenith16
Side-Kick

Mirror's Edge 2 Surfaces Again

News
on May 30, 2013 at 09:01 AM

Reports of a sequel for Mirror's Edge mount, with the latest talk involving a Mirror's Edge page on publisher EA's web page.
... More

source:GI

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
zenith16
Side-Kick

EA's Söderlund discusses Star Wars: Battlefront, Mirror's Edge reboot

(11 hours ago)

EA Games Label vice president Patrick Söderlund revealed new details and insight regarding DICE's upcoming Star Wars: Battlefront and Mirror's Edge games in a recent interview with CVG.

Describing DICE and Star Wars: Battlefront as "a match made in heaven," Söderlund explains that the next Battlefront game was approved at DICE's insistence. "It was almost not happening," Söderlund recalls. "It was just something as boring as resources and availability. The DICE guys Karl Magnus Troedsson and Patrick Bach were talking and I told them we were in dialogues with Disney over this deal and they just looked at me and said, 'Why haven't you spoken to us? What are you doing? We want to make Battlefront.'"

"I didn't anticipate them wanting to work on a license – they've always been new IP or their own IP," Söderlund continued. "But they were just like, 'we would kill to make this game' and the whole studio started talking about it like, 'please give us this game'. That's when I called Frank [Gibeau, EA Labels boss] and I realised we had something here. [...] They begged to do it, the opportunity was there and that's exactly why you'll see a game that will be what it needs to be." Continue Reading

Source: CVG

Old 06-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
Silvermoth
Avenger

Can't wait! I wonder how this will compete with watchdogs

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

I want to be able to like the sequel/prequel/reboot or whatever, but the EA name is just mud. I hope for no always-online requirement, no crafting system and no microtransactions, and no shootbang multiplayer.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
jacobed
Banned User

Ea doesn't require always online in any game besides Sim City and a game has never been brought down in quality because of microtransactions, they're there but they are always completely optional.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
zenith16
Side-Kick

Mirror's Edge co-story designer Rhianna Pratchett not working on reboot [update]

(9 hours ago)

EA hasn't approached Mirror's Edge co-story designer and writer Rhianna Pratchett about returning to DICE's upcoming reboot, the author revealed this week. Pratchett, who served as lead writer on the recent Tomb Raider and as co-story designer and writer on Heavenly Sword, went on to say the Mirror's Edge story "didn't review that great," and that she considered herself a "casualty of the development process."

Pratchett has spoken about her disappointment with the first game's story before. Talking to ActionTrip in 2012, she said, " DICE was a great company to work with, but Mirror's Edge was a challenging project and an important learning experience for me. Unfortunately, because of the timing when I was brought in and a large amount of the script being cut (due to the late decision to remove level dialogue) the narrative wasn't what I would've liked it to be. Thankfully, I got the chance to remedy this a little bit in the Mirror's Edge comic series with DC. The story in those was much more along the lines of what I would've liked to have developed for the game."

Pratchett added, "I've been quite candid about what happened with Mirror's Edge, because I know some players were disappointed with the narrative in the game. The upshot of that is that I've probably blotted my copy-book with DICE. I'd love the chance to do it again under the right circumstances, and I have plenty of ideas, but I doubt that's going to happen."

After years of speculation, EA finally unveiled the Mirror's Edge reboot at last year's E3 conference, and the game is currently in development for Xbox One, PS4, and PC. It'll feature a new origins story for lead character Faith, although the publisher is keeping that under wraps for now.

As for Pratchett, she's being kept busy with upcoming TV and film adaptations of her father Terry's work, including a movie of The Wee Free Men and a BBC series of The Watch. And how about the Tomb Raider sequel, hmmmmm? "Can't say, sorry." is the answer to that.

Update: Following today's news, we got in touch with Rhianna Pratchett to ask whether or not she'd be prepared to work on the new Mirror's Edge game if asked, and what she'd want to do differently second time around.

"A lot of it would depend on the time frame involved, the attitude of the team and what they were looking to do with the characters and world this time around," she told us, while noting she'd outlined some of what she'd do with a prequel with the comic series she wrote for the first game.

Check out what Pratchett had to say in full after the break:
Continue Reading

Source:@RhiPratchett

Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 AM   #12
Silvermoth
Avenger

I didn't know that. I must admit, sometimes when I was playing it the story didn't quite work so well together and I thought it was odd. Rihanna is very talented so I just assumed maybe I was focusing too much on that.

That often happens with movie tie ins in particular. They make the characters and the levels and then at the last second they bring in someone famous to tie it all together really quickly and it doesn't quite work as well as if the writer is there from the start.

I hope she comes back

Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
jacobed
Banned User

She did good in Tomb Raider but Mirrors Edge was just bad. No excuse changes that

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
zenith16
Side-Kick

EA To Bring New Mirror’s Edge, New Criterion Game To E3. June 5, 2014 . 7:45am

Electronic Arts will discuss several new games at E3 this year.

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Electronic Arts will discuss several new games at E3 this year, and one of these games will be the Mirror’s Edge reboot according to Spike TV’s All Access Live schedule. (Thanks, Polygon)

The other game, according to Spike’s listings, is a new title from Burnout developer Criterion. Mirror’s Edge and Criterion’s new title will be two of “nearly half-a-dozen” games premiered by EA at E3.

The new Mirror’s Edge was announced at E3 last year. It will be an open-world game and will run on EA studio DICE’S new Frostbite 3 engine. The game was debuted along with the teaser trailer you see embedded above.

EA have said in the past that the game will be “a different experience” from the original Mirror’s Edge, although they’ve been careful to point out that they’re “not going to turn this into a shooter”.

Mirror’s Edge is in development for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
source:Siliconera

Old 06-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #15
Silvermoth
Avenger

Oh yeaaaaah! I wonder if she will have the same voice actress?

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #16
zenith16
Side-Kick

New Mirror’s Edge Will Explore Faith’s Motivations. June 9, 2014 . 12:43pm

During E3, Electronic Arts briefly discussed the new Mirror’s Edge game.

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The new Mirror’s Edge game is being developed using the advice of parkour artists, Electronic Arts said during their E3 press conference today.

The company showed off a prototype build of the game with Faith running around and taking enemies down. EA said that, depending on their skill level, players will be able to find alternate routes that are best suited to them in the new game.

The new Mirror’s Edge game will explore Faith’s motivations in greater detail, too, including why she tattooed her eye. Unfortunately, vague teases were about all EA had to say about the new title, and refrained from sharing further details.

Also

Quote:
Sara Jansson, the producer of the new Mirror’s Edge game, has shared a few words regarding the title on its official website. Here’s what she has to say:
Hi,
It’s been a full year since we revealed that we are indeed making a new Mirror’s Edge game here at DICE. I wanted to let you know that the game is progressing nicely and I think you’re going to love it! I know many of you probably wish we would show more of the game, but we’re still pretty early in development and our passionate core Mirror’s Edge team is working full on to make the best game possible.

Mirror’s Edge is all about fluidity, physicality and movement. We want to make sure we evolve the game and Faith in a way that gives you an exciting new player experience. We want the game to be accessible enough to embrace new players while at the same time reward the skilled player. We are also committed to provide the best 1st person close combat in the world. Advanced combat that is integrated into an improved fluidity of movement. These are not small undertakings, but they are challenges that we are up for.

I am fortunate enough to play the game we are building every day and I cannot wait to share it with all of you and soon enough, I will. The way that the team has reduced all the little obstacles of playing the first game, while adding a bunch of innovative stuff makes it an extremely thrilling experience. The uniqueness of the Mirror’s Edge universe is still there, but with a new and fresh feel to it. We’re also dedicated to let you know more about both Faith and the world that she is a part of this time around. But more about that later…

Thanks for all feedback, questions and love that have come our way during the past year. It’s our fuel to keep going and never give up on what we have set out to achieve. Keep it coming!

You’ll be hearing more from me soon!

Sara Jansson
Senior Producer, Mirror’s Edge
DICE
Mirror’s Edge is in development for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. A behind-the-scenes development video for the game can be viewed at the top of this post.
From:http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/09...says-producer/

source:Siliconera

Last edited by zenith16; 06-09-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #17
Silvermoth
Avenger

Oh god my body is so ready. What's the release date?

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!