Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #901
Soapy
It's happening again...

Default Re: The Official Metal Gear Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
I know we seem to say this every other page, but MGS2 is friggin' brilliant. So ahead of its time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
One of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #902
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Ain't no lovin' like MGS2 lovin'

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #903
Nathan

I just see a good amount of Stockholm syndrome in here.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #904
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Will MGS V have any multiplayer does anyone know? Im only really interested in SP for a metal gear game but wondered if they had announced anything about it?

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
Old 06-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #905
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Will MGS V have any multiplayer does anyone know? Im only really interested in SP for a metal gear game but wondered if they had announced anything about it?
yeah MP has already been confirmed

Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #906
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
yeah MP has already been confirmed
Interesting, I know MG4 had multiplayer I think but don't know if it was very well received or not? Did anyone play it?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #907
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Interesting, I know MG4 had multiplayer I think but don't know if it was very well received or not? Did anyone play it?
yeah it sucked. The details of the MP hasn't been revealed so we don't know what it will entail. It could be like Peace Walker which actually seems more likely since V is more of a sequel to that game

Old 06-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #908
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
yeah it sucked. The details of the MP hasn't been revealed so we don't know what it will entail. It could be like Peace Walker which actually seems more likely since V is more of a sequel to that game
Ah had a feeling that's what I sort of heard about it at the time. Just hope they concentrate on SP then for V and it doesn't suffer because of it. Certainly doesn't look like it but just hope its not cut to 4-5 hours long because they want MP in it.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #909
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

I'm loving Big Boss' look and clothing and stuff in Afghanistan in the trailer

Also, I wonder if the MGS1 remake will have Hater as Solid Snake

Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #910
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Don't be jealous, that's just sour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_agent View Post
I'm loving Big Boss' look and clothing and stuff in Afghanistan in the trailer
Yeah, I dig the look for Punished Snake, as he's being called, except for that horn. That just looks so utterly silly.

Anyway, I downloaded a demo for Rising. The camera is really awkward, took awhile to get used to, and I don't get the parry system at all. It's really just a horrible design choice to connect your parry system with the attack button (unless a parry is a counter attack at the same time, guess that would make sense). But it still seems pretty solid. I was hoping for something more in the style of Bayonetta, but it seems they tried to find some middle ground between that and MGS's more grounded pace. I'll pick it up when I get the extra money.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.

Last edited by Tron Bonne; 06-26-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #911
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I have a feeling these ppl didnt like it nearly as much when it first came out, but after a while of hearing other fans trash the game, they changed their opinion.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #912
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Don't be jealous, that's just sour.

Yeah, I dig the look for Punished Snake, as he's being called, except for that horn. That just looks so utterly silly.

Anyway, I downloaded a demo for Rising. The camera is really awkward, took awhile to get used to, and I don't get the parry system at all. It's really just a horrible design choice to connect your parry system with the attack button (unless a parry is a counter attack at the same time, guess that would make sense). But it still seems pretty solid. I was hoping for something more in the style of Bayonetta, but it seems they tried to find some middle ground between that and MGS's more grounded pace. I'll pick it up when I get the extra money.
i didn't get the parry system at all in the demo but I think the full game does a better job at teaching it to you as mastering it is key to surviving. It works and simple enough to understand once you get it

Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #913
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Yea id agree with Havok, for the life of me could not figure out that parry system in the demo, but once you spend time with it in the full game. It works really well.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #914
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Yea id agree with Havok, for the life of me could not figure out that parry system in the demo, but once you spend time with it in the full game. It works really well.
Yeah it seems to be the key in boss fights more than anything. Once you master that your sorted!

Old 06-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #915
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Quote:
I have a feeling these ppl didnt like it nearly as much when it first came out, but after a while of hearing other fans trash the game, they changed their opinion.
Lol, you always assume stuff like that. Honestly, I loved it when it first came out. Raiden was jarring and everything, but I didn't dislike the character at all and the game, at the time, was pretty much unsurpassed in uniqueness and experience. I played the hell out of it and Substance from the very beginning.

Quote:
i didn't get the parry system at all in the demo but I think the full game does a better job at teaching it to you as mastering it is key to surviving. It works and simple enough to understand once you get it
Yeah, I looked it up online and once I did, I got it down pretty well. My main issue was that I was thinking parry as in simply dodging, and not a counterattack. It's pretty smooth once you get it down, I agree.

Quote:
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #916
Solidus
Kylo Ren

MGS2 was loved a lot when it first came out, and still is. It was just like Tron said a tad jarring. We all expected to play Snake, a character we came to love a lot, and it was slightly disappointing. Yes there was some annoying stuff with Rose, but the graphics, music, gameplay, design everything was beyond anything we had seen at the time. I remember buying it day one and not regretting it at all. And the reviews were glowing as well as the sales. I mean compared to some of the others, ya I would put the other three in some ways ahead of it. But that is by no means a bad thing, MGS2 is still one of my favorite experiences, and I still go back and play it.

Talking about all this makes me want MGSV even more.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #917
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

I do believe MGS2 is still the highest selling game with something like 7 million units, too, if I'm not mistaken. Most of the hate from it is, I think is fair to say, quite a minority opinion. Some people just got to hate, they can't embrace the great

Quote:
Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #918
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Lol, you always assume stuff like that. Honestly, I loved it when it first came out. Raiden was jarring and everything, but I didn't dislike the character at all and the game, at the time, was pretty much unsurpassed in uniqueness and experience. I played the hell out of it and Substance from the very beginning.
Haha thats because geek culture is just like that. Its so predictable its comical.

I agree though, i was shocked at how far ahead MGS2 was when it came out and i never had an issue with Raiden. I mean i kept wondering when Snake would show up, but i liked Raiden.

However id still put MGS2 at the end of the list. I enjoyed MGS1, MGS3 and MGS4 a little more than i enjoyed MGS2. Altho to be honest i havent played through MGS2 in quite some time. I started to replay it when the HD collection came out but got side tracked. Maybe its time to do another saga run through.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #919
Havok83
Side-Kick

MGS2 was the first MGS game I played and I would put it after the console games and above the portables It would go like this for me:

MGS3
MGS4
MGS
MGS2
MGS PW
MGS PO

PO is the only one I don't like and its really only the controls which ruined it for me. If PW hadn't been ported to the PS3, Id have felt the same way. I rank 2 low but that doesn't take away from it as I love that game and thought it was amazing.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #920
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
MGS2 was the first MGS game I played and I would put it after the console games and above the portables It would go like this for me:

MGS3
MGS4
MGS
MGS2
MGS PW
MGS PO

PO is the only one I don't like and its really only the controls which ruined it for me. If PW hadn't been ported to the PS3, Id have felt the same way. I rank 2 low but that doesn't take away from it as I love that game and thought it was amazing.
Thats exactly how my list would go.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #921
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Mine goes:

MGS (the original is always tops, it just changed so much, and was one hell of an experience when you went through it. Pyscho Mantis is still one of my favorites/unique boss fights)
MGS3
MGS4
MGS2
MG
MGS PW
MGS PO

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 06-26-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #922
Soapy
It's happening again...

My ranking:

Sons of Liberty
Snake Eater
Rising
Metal Gear Solid
Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear 2
Peace Walker
The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear

Quote:
Wrong. I loved it the first time I played it.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #923
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
I didn't stop playing MGS2 when it first came out. I honestly must have played through it about 10 times before I could finally put it down. So... no.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #924
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Wrong. I loved it the first time I played it.
Well duh, thats what you are supposed to say. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of you changing your opinion after the fact. Gosh.

Quote:
I didn't stop playing MGS2 when it first came out. I honestly must have played through it about 10 times before I could finally put it down. So... no.
See above.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #925
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

I don't really understand why it's so hard to understand why you'd actually like MGS2 as much as you say you do when it first came out. It's not as if it was bashed, it was pretty lauded. Really, as I mentioned, I really do think it's just a very vocal internet minority who paints the hate for the game, and I would estimate about 90-95% of that comes solely from Raiden. You're free to believe what you want, but whatevs, I think you only put MGS2 on the bottom of the line because of peer pressure anyway

My list:

MGS3
MGS2
MGS
MGS4
PW

Quote:
Closed Thread