The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #151
Hammer!
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 624
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Dredd
Second best CBM in 2012 behind Avengers IMO.

Hammer! is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #152
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,945
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
Don't really see that TBH. Admittedly, I've never been good at reading international numbers but 700 seems to be easily in reach.
$700m is definitely in reach. I'm as conservative as anyone and I wouldn't be saying $700m is in play if it wasn't.

redfirebird2008 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #153
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,754
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
X-men: First Class is a terrible comparison. Not only is it clearly not a remake, but it came off of two poorly received movies and, besides for a three second uncredited cameo, didn't have the franchise's most popular character.
But you can not say that it was not a commercial success, expecially if you look at Superman Returns.
Fox tried a reboot of the successful X-Men Franchise with the excellent First Class, but it made far less than 400m ww.
WB did MOS after the poor recieved SR and made 400m ww in two weeks, but it is a disappointment because it is "Superman".

Ita-KalEl is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #154
Hammer!
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 624
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
But you can not say that it was not a commercial success, expecially if you look at Superman Returns.
Fox tried a reboot of the successful X-Men Franchise with the excellent First Class, but it made far less than 400m ww.
WB did MOS after the poor recieved SR and made 400m ww in two weeks, but it is a disappointment because it is "Superman".
Except FOX can bank on the fact that they have a highly praised movie by critics, which gives them an out for a so-so BO track because a sequel should almost surely do better numbers in that retrospect. Two factors for studios continuing a franchise: positive reviews and high BO numbers.

Hammer! is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #155
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
But you can not say that it was a commercial success, expecially if you look at Superman Returns..Fox tried a reboot of the successful X-Men Franchise with the excellent First Class, but it made far less than 400m ww.
WB did MOS after the poor recieved SR and made 400m ww in two weeks, but it is a disappointment because it is "Superman".
First Class made 350 mil worldwide off of a 160 mil budget. That is a success. You cannot spin it any other way. And that's not even factoring in that it followed two poorly received X-Men movies within 6 years. And that it wasn't marketed to kids. Name one other recent comic book movie featuring popular Marvel or DC characters that wasn't marketed to kids.

And what the hell does First Class have to do with Superman Returns? They aren't comparable even in the slightest.

MOS is absolutely a disappointment. 400 m ww has nothing to do with it.

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #156
kalhawj
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 622
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Except FOX can bank on the fact that they have a highly praised movie by critics, which gives them an out for a so-so BO track because a sequel should almost surely do better numbers in that retrospect. Two factors for studios continuing a franchise: positive reviews and high BO numbers.
Since when does a critics praised of any value for BO hit.... MOS has both GA positive review and high BO number so far... From your statement I assume you would agree with all of us that a Sequel will be a big hit for MOS 2 if done right...

kalhawj is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #157
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Second best CBM in 2012 behind Avengers IMO.
I'd say it's the best. And I loved Avengers. Best world building I've seen in a sci-fi movie since District 9

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #158
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,754
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
First Class made 350 mil worldwide off of a 160 mil budget. That is a success. You cannot spin it any other way. And that's not even factoring in that it followed two poorly received X-Men movies within 6 years. And that it wasn't marketed to kids. Name one other recent comic book movie featuring popular Marvel or DC characters that wasn't marketed to kids.

And what the hell does First Class have to do with Superman Returns? They aren't comparable even in the slightest.

MOS is absolutely a disappointment. 400 m ww has nothing to do with it.
So all the words about the marketing, the fact that only the 50% goes to the Studio and only during the first weeks, that the overseas market doesn't care too much, are valid only for DC movies. For Marvel movies it is all revenues .
I suppose that for you, MOS is doing less than First Class even in merchandise.

Now I know that you are only a marvel fanboy.
Don't try to convince me anymore. Thank you .


Last edited by Ita-KalEl; 06-25-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Ita-KalEl is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #159
Snark88
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 158
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Man of Steel is not dead. Not even a little bit. It just has poor legs. Even if it was highly praised by critics and had better word of mouth, it would be doing poorly. That's what happens when you sandwich an iffy movie in a release spot it has no right to be in.
I can't agree with that part. If Man of Steel had at least a 80% on RT and had a great WoM, it would definitely be having a better box office intake than it is now. By how much is another debate, but it would not have dropped as much as it did during the 2nd weekend and into the 3rd.

It's obvious that the main reason why Man of Steel has dropped so steeply lately is because of the competition. There's no denying that. But Critics and WoM have most certainly had an effect.

Snark88 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #160
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
Since when does a critics praised of any valve for BO hit....
It has a lot of value. That's just silly. It depends on the audiences expectations. If they want crazy silly fun (Transformers) they won't wonder why the critics don't like it. If they want something that delivers on its promises of good story, drama and realism (The Dark Knight) they will pay attention.

It's the typical b.s. that happens with every superhero movie not meeting fan expectations. Nobody reads Rotten Tomatoes. Nobody listens to critics. Oh please

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #161
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark88 View Post
I can't agree with that part. If Man of Steel had at least a 80% on RT and had a great WoM, it would definitely be having a better box office intake than it is now. By how much is another debate, but it would not have dropped as much as it did during the 2nd weekend and into the 3rd.

It's obvious that the main reason why Man of Steel has dropped so steeply lately is because of the competition. There's no denying that. But Critics and WoM have most certainly had an effect.
That's the point I was trying to make. I didn't say it would break records, but it would surely be doing better if it had Pacific Rim's or Iron Man 3's slots.

80% on rotten tomatoes doesn't make much difference whatsoever when you are opening a week (Edit: before) a Pixar movie. And then every week after has two popular releases. A few million? Yes. another 60? Hell no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
Now I know that you are only a marvel fanboy.
Actually I only read Vertigo but thanks for playing Mr. I'm On a Superhero Fan Site Messageboard Calling People Fanboys

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps

Last edited by Poni_Boy; 06-25-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #162
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,945
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark88 View Post
I can't agree with that part. If Man of Steel had at least a 80% on RT and had a great WoM, it would definitely be having a better box office intake than it is now. By how much is another debate, but it would not have dropped as much as it did during the 2nd weekend and into the 3rd.

It's obvious that the main reason why Man of Steel has dropped so steeply lately is because of the competition. There's no denying that. But Critics and WoM have most certainly had an effect.
I don't buy the arguments about Rotten Tomatoes. But WOM with the audience is important. The film showed last week even before MU or WWZ showed up that it didn't have great WOM.

I don't think it has terrible WOM, but even slightly mixed WOM leads to a crap multiplier nowadays. That's what happens in an industry that gets more and more frontloaded with each passing year. Iron Man 3 is going to end up with a 2.35 multiplier and it has "good" WOM.

redfirebird2008 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #163
Snark88
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 158
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
I don't buy the arguments about Rotten Tomatoes. But WOM with the audience is important. The film showed last week even before MU or WWZ showed up that it didn't have great WOM.

I don't think it has terrible WOM, but even slightly mixed WOM leads to a crap multiplier nowadays. That's what happens in an industry that gets more and more frontloaded with each passing year. Iron Man 3 is going to end up with a 2.35 multiplier and it has "good" WOM.
I really talking about a combination of the two, I know WoM has more weight to it.

Snark88 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #164
Morcego
Tadarida Brasiliensis
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 79
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
It has a lot of value. That's just silly. It depends on the audiences expectations. If they want crazy silly fun (Transformers) they won't wonder why the critics don't like it. If they want something that delivers on its promises of good story, drama and realism (The Dark Knight) they will pay attention.

It's the typical b.s. that happens with every superhero movie not meeting fan expectations. Nobody reads Rotten Tomatoes. Nobody listens to critics. Oh please
Yup, the hipocrisy from some fans is laughable.

Morcego is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #165
Hammer!
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 624
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

WOM for blockbusters is more accurately determined by BO numbers than anything else. WB doesn't consider people giving the film an 8.0 on IMDB as an indicator that the film has a good WOM when dropping BO numbers say otherwise. Again, this film doesn't have good or bad WOM, it is average.

Hammer! is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #166
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Word of mouth is important, but not so much when there's wall to wall competition. Audiences have short attention spans. They want to see the BIG NEW THING EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT. Even with a "meh, it was ok" reaction on MOS it would do much better with a few weeks of breathing room. With no room as it is right now, very strong WOM could help it, but not by a lot.

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #167
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,471
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

650 m WW is not a disappointment.

Every penny earned after the summer is profit.

That's better than Batman Begins, Captain America and X-men First Class.

__________________
MR - Morlock Rule
MessiahDecoy123 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #168
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
WB doesn't consider people giving the film an 8.0 on IMDB as an indicator that the film has a good WOM
From what I recall someone else stating earlier, all IMDb movies start at 8.5 before any votes are added. Then it goes from there. That's why MOS kepts dropping 0.1 every two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
650 m WW is not a disappointment.

It hasn't made that yet. When it does, then it can be used to argue the point. It's a disappointment because it doesn't have domestic legs (where they make the most profit) and the studio knows this. It's their fault.

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #169
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo
 
chiefchirpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,236
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
650 m WW is not a disappointment.

Every penny earned after the summer is profit.

That's better than Batman Begins, Captain America and X-men First Class.
Those 3 films had sub $160 million budget and less money to market.

At the end only WB will know if the film is a big success or not.

chiefchirpa is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #170
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,754
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
Those 3 films had sub $150 million budget and less money to market.

At the end only WB will know if the film is a big success or not.
Yes, but I still don't understand why Captain America, with a budget of 140m and a box office of

Domestic: $176,654,505 47.9%
+ Foreign: $191,953,858 52.1%

is considered a success.
Man of Steel with a budget of 225m and a box office of around 600m should be considered a commercial disappointment.

The strange rules of the shh message boards.

Ita-KalEl is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #171
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
Yes, but I still don't understand why Captain America, with a budget of 140m and a box office of

Domestic: $176,654,505 47.9%
+ Foreign: $191,953,858 52.1%

is considered a success..
Because math

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #172
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,754
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Because math
So math is an opinion in this forum.

Ita-KalEl is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #173
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
So math is an opinion in this forum.
Apparently. Need a textbook?

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #174
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay
 
Excel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Places
Posts: 19,559
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
Check out the Tomb Raider article posted above by robot. MOS2 is not guaranteed to do better even if it is a better film. Author goes into lots of detail.
That article is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
You of all people don't need to be lecturing anyone about box office after some of your ludicrous predictions through the years. Do I need to remind you of those 200+ opening weekend predictions you made for TDKR? What I said about Man of Steel is 100% correct.
TDKR would have made 200m without the shooting. And my Skyfall predictions were so off. Child please! Man of Steel's word of mouth is good, but it isn't good ENOUGH to overcome all the new openers! Should have been in July!

__________________
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place, Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #175
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Man of Steel's word of mouth is good, but it isn't good ENOUGH to overcome all the new openers! Should have been in July!
Bingo

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.