The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Are the screening responses a good sign for MOS?
Yes. 46 73.02%
No. 2 3.17%
I don't think they mean much. 15 23.81%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #76
sf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread (Spoilers) - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Just got back from watching Man of Steel. This was truly an epic spectacle. Beyond a few minor nitpicks, I didn't have too many issues with the Movie. Sure, there are some scenes that the script could have handled better, but there was nothing in the movie that took me out of the moment multiple times, like Iron Man 3 did. Action-wise, the bar as been raised once more for Superhero movies. I easily give this a 9/10.
Fr Australia?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #77
Nathan

What?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #78
titansupes
Side-Kick

Okay. So, I just saw it, finally. I won't right a full review, because some CRAZY stuff is happening politically here in Australia right now. Like absurd stuff.

Visually (costumes/sets etc): 10/10.
Casting/acting: 10/10.
FX: 10/10.
Sound: I have no idea, it was so ****ing loud it got hard to make things out.
Script: God, I don't know... 4?

Eh. It's okay. The script is... terrible. The pacing/structure is just wrong. Come on, man. I don't know if it's down to the script itself, or if it was butchered in editing (Snyder has said that an hour was cut out in editing). I liked the dialogue (could've been more humour). The characterisations are really great. All the individual scenes are great, it's just... How they're put together that leaves something to be desired.

I loved the pace of the fights (finally someone gets superspeed right) but I think there are ways to slow parts of it down without getting into bullet time or the speed ramping Snyder is known for. And the blaring noise didn't help, either. Seriously, my ears hurt.

The cast nailed it. Someone in another thread pointed out the difference between the 'big' Reeve Superman and the 'natural' Cavill Superman. To that poster (I'm sorry I can't remember who) is spot on. Reeve nailed the silver age/bronze age version, and likewise Cavill has nailed the Post-Crisis version (Jurgens etc).

Adams is nearly without dispute... the perfect Lois. Killed it.

I loved everyone else, too, by the way, but there's just too much to say.

The tone... I like it. It could have been a bit happier, I think. But there's certainly room for that in the sequel, if they so choose.
The shaky cam I really liked, but if overstays it's welcome by the time the World Engine fight comes (and yes, Cavill certainly looks like Reeve in that shot, but I don't think they did that to him on purpose). After that, I just want to see the fights (of which there were too many) clearly. By the time Superman vs Zod comes, it's like "Ugh, again?".

I loved seeing the Kryptonians in different stages of outfits (Jor-El strips to his undersuit, as does Zod, and we see him with the cape ala Superman during the dream sequence... Which itself, was awesome. ) All those costumes, everything in the movie, looked beautiful.

That's all I got right now...

Oh, And Superman killing Zod was fantastic. I really liked it. I might've saved it for movie 2 or 3, but I really liked it.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #79
sf2
Side-Kick

Kindly report the crowd reaction.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #80
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Kindly report the crowd reaction.
I don't have much to go on, unfortunately. It was an advanced screening (it officially opens tomorrow) and as it is, this movies barely been advertised. I see two or three tv spots a night, if I'm lucky. I've seen one bus stop poster (and that was today)... But Lone Ranger, WWZ and PR are everywhere.

There were... About 3 or 4 dozen people there, I think. They reacted very well, though.

EDIT: Oh, and this was my first advanced screening ever... No previews. Surprising and pretty cool.

Last edited by titansupes; 06-26-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #81
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I don't have much to go on, unfortunately. It was an advanced screening (it officially opens tomorrow) and as it is, this movies barely been advertised. I see two or three tv spots a night, if I'm lucky. I've seen one bus stop poster (and that was today)... But Lone Ranger, WWZ and PR are everywhere.

There were... About 3 or 4 dozen people there, I think. They reacted very well, though.

EDIT: Oh, and this was my first advanced screening ever... No previews. Surprising and pretty cool.
Thanks. I thought the cast was doing premium in Australia now? How come the marketing is so bad?
Btw by 2nd viewing u will find the pace, editing, and story /script a lot better. It explains well in the movie.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #82
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Thanks. I thought the cast was doing premium in Australia now? How come the marketing is so bad?
Btw by 2nd viewing u will find the pace, editing, and story /script a lot better. It explains well in the movie.
They did, but in Sydney. I forgot Cavill was on a very poular show here as well, so there's that. But in my city (Adelaide) it's what I described above.

I hope my second experience is better. The two people next to me, one in particular, were bored out of there minds, which seriously affected my enjoyment.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #83
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Saw it when it came out but I had to really think about the movie since then and I didn't want to rush to judgement, but here I go.....I really really really did not like this movie, BUT I would still kinda recommend it in a weird way, it definitely is a spectacle, but it is also kind of a mess (IMO) Not a fan of how the movie was put together and I felt the earlier parts of the film were a little bit of a chore to get through, I felt the decision to do the back story via flashback was a great idea...in theory, but I'm not fond of how it was done in practice. The action however truly is amazing, I was able to get past the fact Superman and Zod probably killed 1,000's because the action was so well done, but here comes my biggest gripe with this movie, the constant shaky cam ...I just...I just loathe that style of camera work. Also can't stand the forced Jesus Allegories in this, I have always hated Superman when depicted in that light, it's a turn off to me PERSONALLY, and it is in no way done subtly in this flick. There are some other things I disliked but those are the major gripes, I do feel there is huuuge potential for this franchise to improve with a sequel though, and I do feel Cavill is the right choice for Superman so hopefully Snyder has it in him to improve upon this first try. Well guys try not to roast me too bad, eh actually go ahead I rarely even come in here lol peace.

MahvelBaby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #84
Rabobi_74

Man of Steel opened here in South Africa last night. Saw it with my daughter and we both enjoyed it.
For me a 9/10 which I am sure will go up after I watch it again.

Rabobi_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #85
Marvel_SKE
Side-Kick

Man of Steel will open here in Japan on August 30th...along with Pacific Rim & World War Z a week before...
Despite the global releases for some of big summer movies, here in Japan, full summer holiday is in August...so lot of foreign big movies has been pushed to open on August...(the same case where The Avengers & Prometheus also opened late here on August last year)

very long way to go...
...though a big Marvel fan as I am, I will watch this movie (the expectation will not high as like when i watch Marvel films though, but i want to enjoy it)...

Last edited by Marvel_SKE; 06-27-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Marvel_SKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #86
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_SKE View Post
Man of Steel will open here in Japan on August 30th...along with Pacific Rim & World War Z a week before...
Despite the global releases for some of big summer movies, here in Japan, full summer holiday is in August...so lot of foreign big movies has been pushed to open on August...(the same case where The Avengers & Prometheus also opened late here on August last year)

very long way to go...
...though a big Marvel fan as I am, I will watch this movie (the expectation will not high as like when i watch Marvel films though, but i want to enjoy it)...
i thought Japan started holiday in July?
btw, if possible stay away from the spoiler forum.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:16 AM   #87
blumatic
Side-Kick

I really enjoyed the film. I found it very fun. I get my joy from the action. In second viewing I saw the flaws in the film. They have alot of great things that deepens the character of Superman but the pacing was a bit rushed and it didn't take its time to milk a few moments. The film doesn't need a drastic overhaul to make it better like some people say. But there was plenty of good things but the film didn't let you marinate.

But it is a good film with heart. Its a good Superman film. But it's not a classic. What the film does really well is challenge Superman or challenge the Superman we know. It planted a lot of seeds of curiosity. It really sets itself up for a great sequel.

Oh the action is great. The fight scenes were the best I've seen ever.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:37 AM   #88
Knightstalker
Boy Wonder

Opened here in Australia today, off to see it now!

Knightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:40 AM   #89
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
I really enjoyed the film. I found it very fun. I get my joy from the action. In second viewing I saw the flaws in the film. They have alot of great things that deepens the character of Superman but the pacing was a bit rushed and it didn't take its time to milk a few moments. The film doesn't need a drastic overhaul to make it better like some people say. But there was plenty of good things but the film didn't let you marinate.

But it is a good film with heart. Its a good Superman film. But it's not a classic. What the film does really well is challenge Superman or challenge the Superman we know. It planted a lot of seeds of curiosity. It really sets itself up for a great sequel.

Oh the action is great. The fight scenes were the best I've seen ever.
mine is different.
1st viewing, i couldn't catch up... but i knew i have watched a great movie
2nd viewing, it just played perfectly to me.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #90
Fedor
Side-Kick

Finally!

Yesterday MOS premiered here in Sweden and i have to say i feel relieved that the wait is over.

I am a bit disappointed in how they handled him becoming Superman, that went way to fast. I didn´t really get the feeling that Superman was needed at that point. He could have been Clark a bit longer and transformed once the world really needed him.

Other than that, the movie is top-notch and the crowd cheered during the whole movie!

9/10!

Last edited by Fedor; 06-27-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #91
darthganon

http://bloodbrothersfilmreviews.blog...teel-2013.html

Blood Brothers, A site I like that reviews various genre films, did a review.

Didn't like it.

darthganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #92
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

I have kind of a big nitpick with the film

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Pa' Kent went back for a dog?? I know that it pulled on the heartstrings of dog lovers, but it was only dumb to me

TheWallCrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #93
Klidokrator
Side-Kick

I was so waiting for this film... And now I want my money back...

Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #94
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Realism. Superman punches people. It's about hope. Best comic book movie ever made. Better than the Avengers. The character development was great. The shaky cam was fantastic. Realism. It's about choice. Some other random excuses to explain the film's goodness. **** it, wait for the sequel.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #95
br0adband
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
Realism. Superman punches people. It's about hope. Best comic book movie ever made. Better than the Avengers. The character development was great. The shaky cam was fantastic. Realism. It's about choice.
Been needing some sig material, thanks!

br0adband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #96
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Yup. It'll just make it even easier for people to poke fun at you for being delusional.

Last edited by BlueLantern; 06-27-2013 at 06:13 AM.
BlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #97
UrNuts2
Side-Kick

saw it yesterday in South Africa on an early screening .. i'll give it 8/10 right now .. full theatre, some people had to be turned away .. quite a few "sh.t" & "wows" during the movie .. lol .. the crowds in my country aren't the animated type, but few claps afterwards which isn't something that really happens & a bit of buzz talk amongst the crowd as they left .. will see it again on Fri & give a fuller review .. too much to take in on 1st viewing

UrNuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #98
Knightstalker
Boy Wonder

Just saw it here in Australia, loved it, going again on the weekend!

Knightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #99
MAN O STEEL
HC is my superman

Okay as reported yesterday I went to the 6:00 session of man of steel, then followed straight after by the 8:30 session and ofcourse another session today because I want man of steel to annihilate the box office and if I can help, I will. ( still got 5 more sessions in me).

Acting 10/10

I can't find a bad performance in the movie anywhere. The stars aligned perfectly casting wise. I will admit upfront that I was rather apprehensive about laurence fishburne as perry because to me laurence is a C list actor at best with little range. However he was one of the best actors in this movie. He IS perry white. I wish his part were bigger but understand why it wasn't. Henry made me believe a man can fly. His range was wonderful especially given how one dimensional the heros can be written in these films. Amy adams is the best live action Lois Lane to this date. She was a hard hitting, no nonsense, d*** measuring, attitude giving, spunky lois lane that was missing from superman returns. Everyone was prefect.

Effects 9/10

Couldn't give a prefect 10 due to the overtly cartoon, green screen obvious way superman fought the world engine tentacles. Lol. Other than that I found myself dribbling my coke everywhere like I'd just had a stroke. WOW is all I have.

Action 8/10

I admit the ending dragged on. After the world engine, I felt exhausted emotionally. However if another action set piece meant I got that terrific speech from zod before they fight as well as superman snapping necks then so be it.

Story 9/10

I admit I would have liked more of an ending after zod died and frankly I still don't get why zod wanted lois to go with superman and faora to his ship, other than convenient plot devices, however besides those, I loved the story.

At the end when zod says, "you love these people so much, you care more for them". For the first time in the movie my heart broke for zod. the way shannon said it, with such sadness, as though he couldn't understand why kal did not love him and his own race just as much saddened him.

Overall the movie was a 9/10 for me. I want to say more and get more specific but I'm going this from my phone and my thumbs are killing me lol. Suffice to say, superman is back and better than hes been in a long time. Give me that damn sequel!!.

Steve

Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #100
TyrionLannister
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN O STEEL View Post

I admit I would have liked more of an ending after zod died and frankly I still don't get why zod wanted lois to go with superman and faora to his ship, other than convenient plot devices, however besides those, I loved the story.

At the end when zod says, "you love these people so much, you care more for them". For the first time in the movie my heart broke for zod. the way shannon said it, with such sadness, as though he couldn't understand why kal did not love him and his own race just as much saddened him.

Steve
Because Zod knows that Lois know Superman's identity and maybe where to find the Codex. Her information leads them to Smallville. Or am I wrong there. Not sure only seen it once.

and that's what he says? I thought it was "You love these people so much, you can mourn for them."

TyrionLannister is offline   Reply With Quote