Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Upcoming Batman Solo Movie

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #451
Rodrigo90
Humor is so tasteless

Default Re: The Batman Reboot Casting Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Well full-on Conroy wouldn't be the point, and I think if Goyer's introducing him, he's probably not looking at just a Conroy interpretation. He can be influenced by it but the key is to be his own version that stands out as well. Standing out from Keaton, West, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, and even Conroy.

Im going with Joe because of the connection to Snyder's casting, his build, his serious approach to Batman works. He's not Mr. Charisma. He doesn't have the talent or range that Bale does or Gosling or Keaton. He may not be leading man material (which could be a problem) but he still has the ingredients.

I have to check out more from him. What ive seen tells me he would make a solid Bruce Wayne with that shorter hair and no beard. Batman is a sell for me.

Gosling fits Flash but he's still my pick in many ways for Batman. I see things in him for Bruce that others don't seem to see a lot of the times. Me and a few others I guess, but I just see the potential. It depends a lot on the variety of movies you've seen from him.
Oh yeah, I agree.

But my problem is, he's a little too serious for Batman. His voice and overall presence.

Batman should be charismatic imo. He's quite the talker in the comics, and this would be important on film if he's working alongside the JL as a team member. Being moody and silent, like we picture Gosling even, it's no good.

As the template - Conroy brings fun to the role. His voice isn't overly serious, which allows him to move easily and beliveably between the Bruce Wayne and Batman personalities easily. 3 distinct characters. This is important imo.

Joe, I can't picture him making this transition. He's always going to feel the same I imagine. IIt's a limited range. This is way different to playing Superman.

And looking back on MOS, Cavill had the innocence in him. This allowed him to play good guy Clark - then other aspects allowed him to play the tough serious Superman.

If Joe can only bring one thing, and that's aggressiveness, because that's all he seems capable at his most, then I rather see him as Hawkman.

And Gosling, I can actually see him more in the role. But when I look at the comics in full and think on everything Bruce/Batman, he's not what I imagine. He'd be something different, but too likely Keatonesque I think, aand while that's an aspect they need to get back in some regards, I just think Gosling could do some serious justice for Flash.

As to who I want as Batman....I honestly have no idea

Old 06-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #452
regwec
Shakespearo

Agree with that. I think it comes down to the trouble with casting on traits rather than of ability, as I said above.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #453
Rodrigo90
Humor is so tasteless

That's it, yes. Joe is a good actor, but his traits just aren't enough for a role like Batman and Bruce Wayne.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #454
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Oh yeah, I agree.

But my problem is, he's a little too serious for Batman. His voice and overall presence.

Batman should be charismatic imo. He's quite the talker in the comics, and this would be important on film if he's working alongside the JL as a team member. Being moody and silent, like we picture Gosling even, it's no good.

As the template - Conroy brings fun to the role. His voice isn't overly serious, which allows him to move easily and beliveably between the Bruce Wayne and Batman personalities easily. 3 distinct characters. This is important imo.

Joe, I can't picture him making this transition. He's always going to feel the same I imagine. IIt's a limited range. This is way different to playing Superman.

And looking back on MOS, Cavill had the innocence in him. This allowed him to play good guy Clark - then other aspects allowed him to play the tough serious Superman.

If Joe can only bring one thing, and that's aggressiveness, because that's all he seems capable at his most, then I rather see him as Hawkman.

And Gosling, I can actually see him more in the role. But when I look at the comics in full and think on everything Bruce/Batman, he's not what I imagine. He'd be something different, but too likely Keatonesque I think, aand while that's an aspect they need to get back in some regards, I just think Gosling could do some serious justice for Flash.

Have you watched any interviews with Joe? There's a ton of them on Youtube. He's actually a very engaging and charismatic guy in real life, very good humoured too and talks a lot.

He may come across as aggressive and gruff in the likes of True Blood, but he is playing a Werewolf - so I guess that's a sign of how well he inhabits the role.

e.g

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by elgaz; 06-27-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #455
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I don't want to come off as the guy who keeps bashing joe because i don't dislike him and think he could be suited for a number of roles.

However, if he didn't normally walk around jacked would he even be getting 10% of the attention he does from the fan boys? I mean just based on his acting would he really have been on anyone's radar?

A good physique can be achieved by a lot of actor's. Bale and cavill didn't normally walk around that big but acting is really a talent you have or don't and can't be built up in a matter of months.

I'm not saying joe's a bad actor but can we just be honest and say it's more his physical appearance than talent that makes people put him up for these roles?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #456
Rodrigo90
Humor is so tasteless

I agree that Joe is a fun guy when not filming. But still, it's like I know I'm still looking and listening to this tough giant.

That's the range I was referring. Joe comes off more or less the same in real life, as he does in True Blood. Sure, he's doing what he's doing in the show, but I can't see distinct changes in his overall self.

If I'm going off from what I see in interviews, to how he is on True Blood, I can't see a good distinction between a role like Bruce and a role like Batman.

I'm not doubting his acting, because he's a talented guy. I just call into question his ability on range, and as regwec said, his traits. Are they right for Batman? Is his charisma right? Is his presence right? Those things.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #457
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Have you watched any interviews with Joe?
That's just what we're getting at, though. An interview is absolutely no guide to someone's competence and range as an actor. You are just seeing some traits.

England cricket captain Alastair Cook can come across as either charming and affable or stoic and brooding in interviews. He also looks very like Henry Cavill, and has a sportsman's physique. He could easily add some more muscle. So he must be the perfect choice to play Batman. Right?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #458
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Good call!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post

Was it too obvious? I always liked Christopher Lee playing Ra's Al Ghul.

I am a Batmanite
Old 06-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #459
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
That's just what we're getting at, though. An interview is absolutely no guide to someone's competence and range as an actor. You are just seeing some traits.

England cricket captain Alastair Cook can come across as either charming and affable or stoic and brooding in interviews. He also looks very like Henry Cavill, and has a sportsman's physique. He could easily add some more muscle. So he must be the perfect choice to play Batman. Right?
That's not what I was getting at, and obviously an interview alone isn't a benchmark for stating if someone can act or not. I would have thought we're all intelligent enough here to know that, but thanks for using the Alastair Cook example anyway.

My point was merely that whilst Joe may have a slight stereotype of being this aggressive/thuggish character, that's probably been mainly due to most people being familiar with him only through his work on True Blood to date. His real life persona is very far removed from that so it's obviously a mindset he gets into for playing a Werewolf, and there's no reason to suspect he couldn't portray very different traits again if playing another type of character. I have seen him in other shows (usually supporting roles) and he was notably different in those from his True Blood role.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #460
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
That's not what I was getting at, and obviously an interview alone isn't a benchmark for stating if someone can act or not. I would have thought we're all intelligent enough here to know that, but thanks for using the Alastair Cook example anyway.
I am just saying they are no benchmark for someone's suitability for a role. What were you using the interviews for, if not as evidence of that?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #461
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
I am just saying they are no benchmark for someone's suitability for a role. What were you using the interviews for, if not as evidence of that?
I posted the interview as a response to this statement :

Quote:

I don't consider Manganiello too serious, moody or silent. You could say that if you had only viewed him in his TB 'breakout role', but I posted the interview to show that the guy is the opposite in real life so those are obviously characteristics he switches on and off for the role.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #462
Rodrigo90
Humor is so tasteless

But it's the transistion.

He can be charismatic, but it doesn't mean he's shut off his gruffness.

There has to be a proper distinction between things. Joe, I feel would be more or less the same as Bruce and Batman.

In these films nowadays, where the story is written more realistically about heroes hiding identities in whichever way they can and the circumstances surrounding this...if Joe played Bruce Wayne/Batman, he could easily be spotted a mile a way.

I just don't think he has what it takes to convey the Bruce Wayne character. There has to be a line, and Joe can't help it, he's stuck between it.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #463
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh yeah, I agree.

So Joe is currently the "Batman" guy but not seen as Bruce Wayne, not having what it takes to keep us interested in those Alfred scenes or public scenes in the way that Keaton or Bale did? Maybe. But for now he's still my pick. Ill have to look into a bunch of his stuff very soon and ill get back to you if I think you're spot on or not. You actually might be.

BTW Hawkman is a perfect role for a guy like Joe because it's a supporting role and it shows off his physique and power. So im with you on that, if he's not cast as Batman.

Gosling was born to play Barry Allen but timing may not be on his side. But Ryan would be the perfect blend of Keaton and Bale. Which I think may be the idea here with Goyer's new version. I think we'll get the Conroy isms but he said the tone will be a little more realistic than Burton's but more fantasy than Nolan's. Coming off of Bale, the question is does Snyder/WB want a known actor again who has the physique without being exaggerated?? While bringing back the Keaton approach of being in a different suit, quieter voice, a quirkiness where you would never imagine this billionaire guy as the Batman? If that's what they want then Gosling is the perfect "go between" guy.

Gosling is super charismatic in other films and real life. Very talkative in a lot of his roles, borderlining on being a pain in the ass . He's hilarious and quick like Keaton. But with the right writing, he can show restraint to the point where he doesn't speak and broods and only shows internal darkness (Drive, Only God Forgives..which by the way will have Ryan saying LESS lines than he did in Drive believe it or not).

If you haven't seen it yet, check The Place Beyond The Pines. There was a great link but it's taken down so you may have to wait til the Blu-Ray in August. But I think it's best balanced role he's ever done. Of course the blonde hair, etc makes us all think of Flash right away. But he shows violence, restraint, brooding, sadness, happiness, charisma, humor..all of it here.

People say "oh in that movie he's yelling at one point and it's so funny cuz his voice is high and cracking"...absolutely, but the new Batman should NOT be yelling or raising his voice like Bale anyway.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #464
Rodrigo90
Humor is so tasteless

I think Joe could work as Batman to a certain degree. But I just wonder on the transistion between a Batman performance and a Bruce Wayne one.

And if only Gosling had a voice like Conroy's

Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #465
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Meh, I don't think Joe would be a particularly good Batman personally.

Then again, I don't watch True Blood and when I think of him I think of him as Flash in SM1:

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 06-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #466
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Meh, I don't think Joe would be a particularly good Batman personally.

Then again, I don't watch True Blood and when I think of him I think of him as Flash in SM1:

He looks so different then compared to now lol

Old 06-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #467
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
He looks so different then compared to now lol

Lol, from Flash Thompson to Eddie Brock right before my eyes.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 06-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #468
regwec
Shakespearo

Ugh, he looks far too 'meat head' on that magazine cover.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #469
elgaz
Side-Kick

Better?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #470
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

I like Gosling, but I really don't see him as Batman, Flash Thompson either. For older Batman, I will always go back to Jon Hamm. I don't really have anyone I would like for a younger one, other than figuring out time travel, going back in time and bringing Bruce Campbell from the 80s into the present.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #471
Rodrigo90
Humor is so tasteless

Well I'm still keen on Joe's pal, Robert

He'd make an awesome younger Batman.

I was relieved to see how decent he was on True Blood

Old 06-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #472
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
I think he looks too much like a meathead all the time. Really can't see him as an aristocratic billionaire.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #473
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
I think he looks too much like a meathead all the time. Really can't see him as an aristocratic billionaire.
Meathead? How does the size of his body make him look stupid? He looks like Batman.

How can you not buy this guy as being a billionaire just because he looks muscular without a shirt?

"The first rule of 'Tusi is to not talk about 'Tusi."
Listen to my updated Bane voice impression!

Last edited by EliteF50; 06-27-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #474
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

hammer and mags would have been a pretty cool alt world's finest.

i know people say that height isn't an issue, but the guy would dwarf cavill. he's big dude.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #475
Rodrigo90
Humor is so tasteless

And a problem is, what would they do?

Every villain taking on Joe would not look intimidating or even seem threatening, because he's a giant.

Also, would they decrease his height when next to Cavill? Increase Cavill's height? And then the height in solo films will look inconsistent when viewed?

Closed Thread