The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

View Poll Results: What is your updated rating for TASM on a scale of 1-10
10 8 5.52%
9 - 9.5 27 18.62%
8 - 8.5 45 31.03%
7 - 7.5 22 15.17%
6 - 6.5 17 11.72%
5 - 5.5 15 10.34%
4 - 4.5 4 2.76%
3 - 3.5 1 0.69%
2 - 2.5 1 0.69%
1 - 1.5 5 3.45%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #276
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I rewatched this movie on HBO last Sunday and its still not that spectacular compare to Raimi's films.

6.5/10.
Nothing spectacular when comparing it to Spider-Man 1 + 2, but I always felt TAS-M was a notch better than S-M 3.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #277
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,272
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Nothing was spectacular about SM1 and 2

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #278
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Nothing was spectacular about SM1 and 2
Completely disagree.

Spider-Man 1 has: a well told origin story, Willem Dafoe as Norman/Green Goblin, an awesome yet brutal final battle, a perfect Spider-Man costume, JK Simmons as Jameson, and Danny Elfman's score.

Spider-Man 2: Alfred Molina's Doc Ock, more JK Simmons as Jameson, a well balanced film that captures the struggles of Peter Parker struggling to balance his personal life and being Spider-Man, and the train battle (which could possibly be the best fight scene in just about ANY comic book movie).

But I still think TASM was spectacular as well.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #279
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,457
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
But I still think TASM was spectacular as well.
It certainly was.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #280
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
It certainly was.
The only thing that wasn't spectacular IMO was the Lizard. If he was portrayed better, than this movie would be "Awesometacular" as Jeremy Jahns would say.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #281
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Nothing was spectacular about SM1 and 2

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #282
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,272
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Personally for me raimis films were not spectacular

tobey maguire has never felt like peter parker to me and i never could work out why till TASM came out

MJ was an unlikable *****, SM2 was over ambitious with ideas which gave it the spectacular feel, I mean good action scenes but only so many times you can pull the same trick, I mean i know the idea was go hzvd train unmasking.. woah, harry unmasking... WOAH!!... MJ unmasking... WOAAAAH!!!!!, but it lost me in the train unmasking alone

and i was never a big fan of some silly stuff in SM1, i don't own the film and if its ever on tv i'd usually switch the channel after 5 min

this is obviously my own personal opinion

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 06-27-2013 at 08:16 AM.
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #283
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

You're having trouble with the unmasking issue, but yet TAS-M has an unmasked Spidey in every single major action sequence as well except for the first one with the car thief and in the sewers.

And while I will always agree Dunst's MJ was terrible, that doesn't take away any brilliance from the films themselves. Hell, I love TDKTrilogy, even when I will never like Katie or Maggie's Rachel Dawes in BB and TDK.

Silly, campy elements? Well, of course, but it's Raimi's shtick. It truly got worse in S-M 3, but I don't like that film at all. It's also worse when a director isn't really known for campy silliness and then we have that dreadful "bending of the football post" scene.

And Tobey Maguire? Let's just say I prefer his Peter Parker over Andrew Garfield's.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #284
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,272
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
You're having trouble with the unmasking issue, but yet TAS-M has an unmasked Spidey in every single major action sequence as well except for the first one with the car thief and in the sewers.

.
its not so much the unmasking, its the fact that them moments were mean't to be shocking OMG moments, and they were pretty much just the same idea done 3 times, someone finds out who spider-man is... SHOCK!, someone finds out who spider-man is... SHOCK!, and again... SHOCK! it makes the film feel bigger because of them twist moments but i can't say it did anything for me, there is also the losing his powers just to get them back when MJ was kidnapped which is pretty predictable ect ect

although i have to say personally one of the all time worst spider-man film moments for me, just me, is the train unmasking, just it looked stupid, seeing the train driver just being like "you got any other great ideas?" to an unmasked spidey and as for the extras in that scene don't get me started... sigh.. anyway yeah

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 06-27-2013 at 12:42 PM.
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #285
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
its not so much the unmasking, its the fact that them moments were mean't to be shocking OMG moments, and they were pretty much just the same idea done 3 times, someone finds out who spider-man is... SHOCK!, someone finds out who spider-man is... SHOCK!, and again... SHOCK! it makes the film feel bigger because of them twist moments but i can't say it did anything for me, there is also the losing his powers just to get them back when MJ was kidnapped which is pretty predictable ect ect

although i have to say personally one of the all time worst spider-man film moments for me, just me, is the train unmasking, just it looked stupid, seeing the train driver just being like "you got any other great ideas?" to an unmasked spidey and as for the extras in that scene don't get me started... sigh.. anyway yeah
Well the reveal to MJ wasn't for shock value since she already knew, but for the others, yes, but for absolute different reasons. Harry is shocked his best friend is the man who "murdered" his father and for those train passengers, they were shocked how he was such a young man, even one passenger mentioning how Peter was not much older than even his own son. Imo, great instances of shock value and I find that whole train sequence to be my favorite right up to Doc Ock's swagger as he makes his way back to the train to take Spidey to Harry Osborn.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #286
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,012
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

TBF Tobey's Parker wasn't like his CB counter part. I still liked him but emo parker was werid

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #287
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Neither was Andrew's, lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #288
SilentWarriorZ
men of bats
 
SilentWarriorZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 489
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Now they had change the suit so they better make him little responsible too

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #289
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,457
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

How is the change in the design of the suit anything to do with his responsibility?

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #290
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,272
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Neither was Andrew's, lol.
He Felt more like Peter parker to me personally

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #291
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
How is the change in the design of the suit anything to do with his responsibility?
One could theorize that if Peter managed to create a suit that would make him look better to the public eye(and the first suit DID have some creepy tendencies, such as his eyes that looked very insect-like), then perhaps that could go hand to hand with Peter being more responsible with everything as Spider-Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
He Felt more like Peter parker to me personally
How so?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #292
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,457
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
One could theorize that if Peter managed to create a suit that would make him look better to the public eye(and the first suit DID have some creepy tendencies, such as his eyes that looked very insect-like), then perhaps that could go hand to hand with Peter being more responsible with everything as Spider-Man.
I've often stated that very argument for why he would want to change his suit...to change the public perception. From what I remember though in ASM, he had a good perception minus Stacy and the police. Flash was seen wearing his t-shirt and there were those kids/young adults that painted his symbol on the side of that bldg. I don't really remember anything outright negative.

The OP's statement however was confusing to me. Peter learned about responsibility in ASM, imo, and will most likely continue in the sequel. That has nothing to do with him changing his suit.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #293
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,272
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post


How so?
I just think He is just a better Peter Parker, more relatable

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #294
PeterBenParker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Tobey Maguire was more or less the Peter Parker from the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko era, Andrew Garfield was a modernized Peter Parker with elements from the original Stan Lee/Steve Ditko era as well as BMB's Ultimate Peter.

That's how I see it, personally.

PeterBenParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #295
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
I've often stated that very argument for why he would want to change his suit...to change the public perception. From what I remember though in ASM, he had a good perception minus Stacy and the police. Flash was seen wearing his t-shirt and there were those kids/young adults that painted his symbol on the side of that bldg. I don't really remember anything outright negative.

The OP's statement however was confusing to me. Peter learned about responsibility in ASM, imo, and will most likely continue in the sequel. That has nothing to do with him changing his suit.
The end of the film would say otherwise to the viewer on if Peter learned anything about responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I just think He is just a better Peter Parker, more relatable
See, here's the thing. I can't find myself relating to Peter Parker, in any characterization, but I think I prefer Maguire's version the most because of the people I DID know in high school and to this day actually.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #296
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,272
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post

See, here's the thing. I can't find myself relating to Peter Parker, in any characterization, but I think I prefer Maguire's version the most because of the people I DID know in high school and to this day actually.
What can I say I have never could never see Maguire as Peter Parker even when I see SM1 for the first time, maybe it was his look as often he looked wide eyed and confused, and Toby's Peter often felt cliche for me

Andrew just has more depth to him I think and that was 1 film alone

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 06-29-2013 at 07:16 AM.
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #297
antonydelfini
The Destroyer
 
antonydelfini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,570
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

8.5/10

Best Spidey movie yet.

Spidey 1- 8/10
Spidey 2- 8/10
Spidey 3- 6/10
Amazing Spidey- 8.5/10

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #298
antonydelfini
The Destroyer
 
antonydelfini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,570
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
One could theorize that if Peter managed to create a suit that would make him look better to the public eye(and the first suit DID have some creepy tendencies, such as his eyes that looked very insect-like), then perhaps that could go hand to hand with Peter being more responsible with everything as Spider-Man.



How so?
Andrew's PP is very much like the PP from the comics especially Stan's.

Stan's PP was not a saint. Stan's PP was very human.

He's got a good heart, but his weaknesses as a human being (selfishness, occasional moodiness, occasional immaturities, pride, arrogance) sometimes gets in the way of doing the right thing. Which was exciting, because we can relate to that. Steve Rogers on the other hand, you can always count on him to do the right thing, with Peter, you're never too sure.

In Amazing Fantasy 15, he promises to use his powers to be a hero, in Amazing Spider-Man 50, he basically forgets that promise. In ASM movie, he promised to stay away from Gwen, in the end he breaks that promise cause hes madly in love with Gwen and Gwen feels the same way for him. That's very relatable.

He's also got an edge on Tobey's PP in the humor and wisecracking department. Tobey's PP never talks back on bullies, Andrew does likeStan's PP does when Flash bullies him. and Andrew looks like a mix of Ditko/Bagley/Romita Jr. PArker, while Tobey looked more like Gizmo from Gremlins.

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #299
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue
 
UltimateWebhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,457
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
The end of the film would say otherwise to the viewer on if Peter learned anything about responsibility.
Yeah, yeah. I know where you're coming from. Peter is very human though and he makes mistakes...just like the rest of us. That's all I'm gonna say on this topic cause these points have been argued to death in the past year. No sense in going around in circles again. We obviously see this very differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
Andrew's PP is very much like the PP from the comics especially Stan's.

Stan's PP was not a saint. Stan's PP was very human.

He's got a good heart, but his weaknesses as a human being (selfishness, occasional moodiness, occasional immaturities, pride, arrogance) sometimes gets in the way of doing the right thing. Which was exciting, because we can relate to that. Steve Rogers on the other hand, you can always count on him to do the right thing, with Peter, you're never too sure.

In Amazing Fantasy 15, he promises to use his powers to be a hero, in Amazing Spider-Man 50, he basically forgets that promise. In ASM movie, he promised to stay away from Gwen, in the end he breaks that promise cause hes madly in love with Gwen and Gwen feels the same way for him. That's very relatable.

He's also got an edge on Tobey's PP in the humor and wisecracking department. Tobey's PP never talks back on bullies, Andrew does likeStan's PP does when Flash bullies him. and Andrew looks like a mix of Ditko/Bagley/Romita Jr. PArker, while Tobey looked more like Gizmo from Gremlins.
I think the Tobey/Gizmo comparison is a bit harsh but I really like the rest of this post.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #300
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
What can I say I have never could never see Maguire as Peter Parker even when I see SM1 for the first time, maybe it was his look as often he looked wide eyed and confused, and Toby's Peter often felt cliche for me

Andrew just has more depth to him I think and that was 1 film alone
I don't know how you see that depth, but more power to you I guess, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
Andrew's PP is very much like the PP from the comics especially Stan's.

Stan's PP was not a saint. Stan's PP was very human.

He's got a good heart, but his weaknesses as a human being (selfishness, occasional moodiness, occasional immaturities, pride, arrogance) sometimes gets in the way of doing the right thing. Which was exciting, because we can relate to that. Steve Rogers on the other hand, you can always count on him to do the right thing, with Peter, you're never too sure.

In Amazing Fantasy 15, he promises to use his powers to be a hero, in Amazing Spider-Man 50, he basically forgets that promise. In ASM movie, he promised to stay away from Gwen, in the end he breaks that promise cause hes madly in love with Gwen and Gwen feels the same way for him. That's very relatable.

He's also got an edge on Tobey's PP in the humor and wisecracking department. Tobey's PP never talks back on bullies, Andrew does likeStan's PP does when Flash bullies him. and Andrew looks like a mix of Ditko/Bagley/Romita Jr. PArker, while Tobey looked more like Gizmo from Gremlins.
PeterBenParker said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBenParker View Post
Tobey Maguire was more or less the Peter Parker from the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko era, Andrew Garfield was a modernized Peter Parker with elements from the original Stan Lee/Steve Ditko era as well as BMB's Ultimate Peter.

That's how I see it, personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Yeah, yeah. I know where you're coming from. Peter is very human though and he makes mistakes...just like the rest of us. That's all I'm gonna say on this topic cause these points have been argued to death in the past year. No sense in going around in circles again. We obviously see this very differently.
Of course we see this differently, but I can't excuse him because he's human and we always make mistakes...he has yet to rightfully respect the whole "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" shtick and until he does, then I will continue to bring the ending of TAS-M up. Perhaps Sam Raimi did it too fast with his Peter and his learning curve on the subject, but at least you get a feeling that the hero learned something at the end of the film, imo.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.