Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Upcoming Batman Solo Movie

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #476
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Default Re: The Batman Reboot Casting Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboric Forms View Post
For older Batman, I will always go back to Jon Hamm.
I know right? Jon Hamm 10 years younger? Hell yes for Batman.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #477
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteF50 View Post
Meathead? How does the size of his body make him look stupid? He looks like Batman.

The videogame Batman does not have human proportions. Each bicep is twice as thick as his skull. If a human being looked like that, unkind people would call him a freak. It is no commendation of an actor who might prospectively play Bruce Wayne that they look anything like that.

Quote:
How can you not buy this guy as being a billionaire just because he looks muscular without a shirt?
Well, there are three things to consider here.

Firstly, there is more to Bruce Wayne than being "a billionaire". Wealth does not in itself connote any particular qualities or attributes. Kanye West is obscenely rich, but is entirely devoid of any class. Bruce Wayne is the last scion of an ancient, quasi-aristocratic European ancestry. His persona is that of a frivolous playboy, but effortless sophistication should be something he exudes. Further, behind all of that, must lie the haunted little boy with a deadly secret. Whilst I acknowledge that your guy was not exactly trying to exhibit all of that while he is standing there grinning with his shirt off, that image in itself doesn't inform any expectation that he can command the sensitivity and intelligence in his face and manner that is required to play the part.

Secondly, it is not just a matter of him 'looking muscular'. Any actor who wants to sell himself as a more traditional Bruce Wayne (as opposed to a Keaton-esque interpretation) is going to be pretty strong and fit. The thing is that we have seen dozens of pictures of your guy now- mostly with his shirt off, admittedly- and I am developing an impression that he looks a bit thick. That is probably just a result of the kind of 'look- abs' pose he strikes in most of the pictures, but it is that subjectivity alone on which I am commenting. But, for me, he doesn't seem to have that crucial 'intelligence' in his face that made Bale so right.

Thirdly, to restate the point, we are only commenting on the guy's appearance. We don't know if he can or can't nail the part unless we are privy to see him do a screen test or something. So, while I think he looks like a bad choice based on some of your pictures, I am not saying that should be the last word on the matter. I could well be totally wrong.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #478
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Hm, well Magnaniello's True Blood co-star Alexander Skarsgard would seem to have the whole "sophisticated, classy, with a dark secret" look, but I don't think he has the physicality and aggression to play a fearsome Batman. He'd fit into the Keaton style batman, as would Gosling.

He is 6'4 and could pack on the muscle and get his hair color changed. Thoughts?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #479
CinematicESP
Side-Kick

Ezra Miller for the Joker...

If you've seen We Need to Talk About Kevin, you'll know why.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #480
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

since i have seen that movie , yes, i agree. i could see it. he has kind of a "robin " look to him as well though.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #481
Rorschach2012
$

Ezra Miller would be my choice for Robin, alongside Manganiello as Batman and Bardem as Joker

Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #482
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
The videogame Batman does not have human proportions. Each bicep is twice as thick as his skull. If a human being looked like that, unkind people would call him a freak. It is no commendation of an actor who might prospectively play Bruce Wayne that they look anything like that.
No, but he should still be very muscular.

Quote:
Firstly, there is more to Bruce Wayne than being "a billionaire". Wealth does not in itself connote any particular qualities or attributes. Kanye West is obscenely rich, but is entirely devoid of any class. Bruce Wayne is the last scion of an ancient, quasi-aristocratic European ancestry. His persona is that of a frivolous playboy, but effortless sophistication should be something he exudes. Further, behind all of that, must lie the haunted little boy with a deadly secret. Whilst I acknowledge that your guy was not exactly trying to exhibit all of that while he is standing there grinning with his shirt off, that image in itself doesn't inform any expectation that he can command the sensitivity and intelligence in his face and manner that is required to play the part.

Secondly, it is not just a matter of him 'looking muscular'. Any actor who wants to sell himself as a more traditional Bruce Wayne (as opposed to a Keaton-esque interpretation) is going to be pretty strong and fit. The thing is that we have seen dozens of pictures of your guy now- mostly with his shirt off, admittedly- and I am developing an impression that he looks a bit thick. That is probably just a result of the kind of 'look- abs' pose he strikes in most of the pictures, but it is that subjectivity alone on which I am commenting. But, for me, he doesn't seem to have that crucial 'intelligence' in his face that made Bale so right.
Eh, a photo for a health magazine is hardly enough to prove that. Hell, even footage of him playing a werewolf isn't enough, because he isn't playing a classy guy, he's playing a werewolf. Joe's a good actor, and I do believe he can adapt and play a sophisticated character.

Quote:
Thirdly, to restate the point, we are only commenting on the guy's appearance. We don't know if he can or can't nail the part unless we are privy to see him do a screen test or something. So, while I think he looks like a bad choice based on some of your pictures, I am not saying that should be the last word on the matter. I could well be totally wrong.
That's true. Based off Bale's pre-BB work, I would've said he'd make a perfect Batman. But it turned out to be the opposite, unfortunately.

"The first rule of 'Tusi is to not talk about 'Tusi."
Listen to my updated Bane voice impression!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #483
EliteF50
Side-Kick

What do you guys think of Andrew Lincoln as Batman?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #484
cin0
Atl's Finest

Hmmm

Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #485
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

Looks like David Duchovny

Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #486
EliteF50
Side-Kick

Holy crap, he kinda does.

But I can see him as Batman. Walking Dead has become a pretty terrible show, but he's a good actor. He's pretty much the only reason I'm still watching.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #487
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

Quote:
What do you guys think of Andrew Lincoln as Batman?

I suggested him a long time ago. I think he would be a good choice if he'd bulk up and work on the accent.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #488
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

If he can pull off anything but a southern drawl, maybe.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #489
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I actually do want to hear him try another American accent than southern, since his always sounds so exaggerated on TWD.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #490
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

You have to be able to master that flat neutral American accent. The deep south and the east coast are not the only places in fictional America, contrary to popular belief.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #491
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

They are literally the only American accents that register to me. Anytime I hear someone say "California accent" or something, I'm like... how is how we talk any different than anywhere else?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #492
cin0
Atl's Finest

I know alotta dudes from LA pronounce their R's really hard.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #493
spiderral
Side-Kick

I think Andrew Lincoln would be a great choice for Bruce Wayne/Bats and like others have pointed out, he would just have to bulk up for the role and get the American accent right. After spending years doing his Southern accent though on The Walking Dead, it would be hard moving to a different accent for him but being an actor, I'm sure he can figure it out.
You can just imagine Bruce going to some sort of event here in this pic.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #494
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Not a fan for him as Batman/Bruce.

And Ezra is Terry McGinnis dammit!

Old 06-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #495
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

While i like him a lot as an actor (frankly one of the two reasons im still watching TWD, the other being David Morrissey) i can't see him as Batman. He does have a serious, badass, elegant vibe to him but he is still pretty far from my Batman.

Some of them fell into Hell
Old 06-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #496
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

i like Lincoln but i am afraid he falls in the same boat as Jon Hamm as they are both pretty old for Batman, especially if WB are going for a Batman early on in his career

Old 06-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #497
regwec
Shakespearo

I like Lincoln but, for me and others of my generation, he is forever Egg from 'This Life'.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #498
spiderral
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
i like Lincoln but i am afraid he falls in the same boat as Jon Hamm as they are both pretty old for Batman, especially if WB are going for a Batman early on in his career
Yeah, I do agree that they are both quite old but if we're getting a Batman that's meant to tie in with the DCU set in Man of Steel than I guess he has to be a little experienced if there are plans for making a World's Finest film and then maybe a Justice League one but I suppose Andrew Lincoln would be quite old by the time those films are made.
Still, I don't think WB should go for a Batman early on in his career because we already sort of saw that in Nolan's trilogy.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #499
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

Goyer said Bruce wasn't Batman during MOS. Bruce was a vigilante though.

So what we're getting is sort of the Keaton treatment. A Bruce Wayne who is in his 30's when he becomes Batman. I'm assuming this because Clark is 33 in MOS, and we know Bruce is a few years older.

So I'm thinking an actor in perhaps his early to mid 30's will be chosen. Late 30's is a possibility, but an actor around 40 or over might not happen.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #500
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

Ezra for Jason Todd
Lerman for Tim Drake

Closed Thread