The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Do you believe the film is going to be too big?
Yes, too many characters and settings 5 26.32%
No, it will be an epic 14 73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Do you think this movie is going to be too big?

With about 20 characters, two periods, and 7 countries involved, do you believe the film is going to be too big or do you think it's setting up to be an epic?

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Default Re: Do you think this movie is going to be too big?

No.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
icekid
Side-Kick

DOFP Part 1 in May
DOFP Part 2 in November

Calling it now!!

icekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

What do you mean too big?

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Its gonna be THE blockbuster of 2014!

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
Hammer!
Side-Kick

I have no idea what to expect with this film to be honest. I could see it being a convoluted mess, or one of the biggest superhero 'events' in movie history along with The Avengers and TDK.

A lot is at stake in this movie. Singer's career, the future direction of the X-Men. This will be the highest grossing X-film by far and it has a superb cast. You know Singer and Fox are going to give it their all. I'm cautiously optimistic, but very excited nonetheless.

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland-Jr View Post
What do you mean too big?
Read the OP. :/

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
MarvelU
Side-Kick

With two time-periods it seems necessary with all the characters. You need the X-Men of the future and of the past. The X-Men of the future are there just to show how bad the future has gotten and we will see tons of mutants fighting for their life in the future. The majority of the story has been discussed to be set in the past.

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
Obsidian Idea
The light is blinding

Cool Re: Do you think this movie is going to be too big?

I trust Singer. He knows what he's aiming for.

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27 (New King James Version)
Obsidian Idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

This definitely has a potential for one big convoluted overcrowded mess. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekid View Post
DOFP Part 1 in May
DOFP Part 2 in November

Calling it now!!
That's a good idea. But even if they don't do it like that I think it could work as one movie if they break up the story into acts. similar to Inglorious Basterds. Each section focusing on a group and era, then it all ties into each other at the end.

2 films would be a great idea though. They can throw even more characters in and set up future movies. *Cable in the post credits *

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Depends on execution. I dig that they are trying though.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I admit there is a risk that characters like Blink, Warpath, Bishop, won't be much more than eye-candy (or FX-candy). One thing that Avengers and the Dark Knight films didn't do was have too many background characters as distractions.

People complained about the minor characters in The Last Stand but they did all serve a purpose. Arclight, for instance, used shockwaves to shatter the plastic weapons, and Callisto was a way of stopping Storm using the enormous power at her disposal to stop the mutant army.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

the more lines guest characters have the less lines wolverine has =p

Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
rory
Side-Kick

I think that, given the story being adapted, most of the OT cast in the future will be "cannon fodder." The whole point of the future scenes is that the X-Men are desperate enough to attempt to alter history. Many on-screen deaths will drive that point home.

rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
venom892
Got Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
This definitely has a potential for one big convoluted overcrowded mess. But I'm cautiously optimistic.
Same here.Of course there always have to be minor characters in films, but I feel this film might be a bit overcrowded.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I admit there is a risk that characters like Blink, Warpath, Bishop, won't be much more than eye-candy (or FX-candy). One thing that Avengers and the Dark Knight films didn't do was have too many background characters as distractions.
Well

Quote:
“I don’t want to say [who the protagonists are] yet, or talk about that yet, but I will say that every character has a very important function in the story. The story is designed and catered to the combined cast. It’s not just throwing in people to occupy the screen, occupy the billboards. The story ‘Days of Future Past,’ and our version of ‘Days of Future Past’ is geared very much toward the mass cast and all their relationships and all their foibles and their achievements.”

Last edited by JP; 06-29-2013 at 04:37 PM.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
DOFP
Side-Kick

I would assumed blink was gonna teleport x-men members back in time, but I guess they are only doing mind swipe. Warpath, I hope he is only there for Rogue to borrow his power, it will be cool to see her fly and be strong. Bishop, well he is part of the future so I wouldn't make sense not to have him in the film, as for sunspot . . . . I have no clue why he is there, if they needed a mutant with fire powers why not keep Pyro, same thing with Blink, if she is only used as a normal teleporter why not just keep Nightcrawler, just a thought.

DOFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Call me cynical but I've yet to hear any director say, yep we're totally throwing in characters to occupy the screen and they're not really going to play much role at all. I don't think anyone deliberately sets out to do an overcrowded film full of sketchy characters.

I have trouble believing that the movie with the cast this big is going to explore the relationships of every single character. Plus "function" can mean whatever - it does not at all guarantee that a character won't be a throwaway.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Unlike The Last Stand or Origins I never felt characters were just thrown In
X_Men,X2,and First Class.Yeah Cyclops got short end of stick but In ensemble like this some characters are going to suffer.Plus X2 was based In part on God loves man kills and Cyclops spent much of that story as prisoner.

Bishop,Warpath,Blink,and Sunspot are In all Likelyhood In film to have more mutants In fight with Sentinles.Bishop may be one of new ones In future with largest role.

If DOFP Is same lenth as X2 or first Class or ever longer in length that Is going to help.One thing that hurt last stand was the length of film.

It's also going to be intresting to see how much screentime future scenes get.
A little over a month was spent on those scenes.

Also It appears they are keeping the 1973 scenes fairly toned down as far as characters go with Wolverine,Xavier,Magneto,Mystique,Beast,Trask,Quic ksilver,whoever Josh Helman Is playing+Nixon and his advisors.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #21
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

People complained about the minor characters in The Last Stand but they did all serve a purpose. Arclight, for instance, used shockwaves to shatter the plastic weapons, and Callisto was a way of stopping Storm using the enormous power at her disposal to stop the mutant army.
Yeah same with Origins, all of the characters had a purpose. But the execution wasn't good.

Instead of introducing 6 to 10 new characters, they could just give the role to somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFP View Post
I would assumed blink was gonna teleport x-men members back in time, but I guess they are only doing mind swipe. Warpath, I hope he is only there for Rogue to borrow his power, it will be cool to see her fly and be strong. Bishop, well he is part of the future so I wouldn't make sense not to have him in the film, as for sunspot . . . . I have no clue why he is there, if they needed a mutant with fire powers why not keep Pyro, same thing with Blink, if she is only used as a normal teleporter why not just keep Nightcrawler, just a thought.
Pyro was probably vaporized in X3 and if they are gonna bring back Nightcrawler, there should be a big reason for that. If they are gonna bring him back just to do some action scenes then that would probably ruin his legacy in this film series.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 06-29-2013 at 11:26 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yeah same with Origins, all of the characters had a purpose. But the execution wasn't good.

Instead of introducing 6 to 10 new characters, they could just give the role to somebody.

Pyro was probably vaporized in X3 and if they are gonna bring back Nightcrawler, there should be a big reason for that. If they are gonna bring him back just to do some action scenes then that would probably ruin his legacy in this film series.
If Nightcrawler is still alive in the future timeline he should be fighting alongside the X-Men against the Sentinels in some capacity. His survival and the survival of all mutants depends on their success.

In X3 we can assume that as a holy man he chose to live a more peaceful life rather than that of an X-Man but DOFP is a whole different scenario. If we assume he is idle somewhere else while people are dying...that ruins his legacy.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
DOFP
Side-Kick

^^^agree 100%

DOFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
Angamb
Banned User

me too.

just because Nightcrawler went back to Germany or any other place some years ago, doesnt mean he cant be with the x-men on present time, or go back to New York to help them survive, specially knowing the tragic situation of the mutants.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #25
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Who says nightcrawler isn't dead?