Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #251
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Christopher Nolan as a Marvel producer/director

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Want to see something funny?

The mixed reaction of Marvel fans back when Whedon got the Avengers gig in 2010. To be fair some loved the idea (I likely appear somewhere in this thread on that side). But about half were clearly opposed with some fullfledged Whedon haters.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=335628

My, how times have changed.
I was excited with Joss Whedon directing Avengers, ended up being a little disapointed with the final result

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #252
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Cool story!!

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #253
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Also, Dr. Horrible is a comedy. Like an SNL sketch in a lot of ways. Cheapness is irrelevant if it makes you laugh.
If it had made me laugh I could overlook a lot. I love Bubba Ho-Tep, after all and that's really low budget. But I didn't laugh, so it doesn't get that benefit.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #254
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Truth.

Hell, I remember even the Spidey boards asking how Whedon would do in a Spidey film, or even a Marvel film in general....people said no...but boom, they ended up watching The Avengers.
You know what I'd watch better than I do? LMFAO.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #255
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Of course I do. The typical poster complains and complains and complains....then watches it regardless what they said beforehand.

It will not surprise me if you're one of those posters.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #256
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I think people assume things here.

I've often read here that Nolan wouldn't fit because he'd try to make it too realistic.

Why do you think Nolan would do that to super powered Marvel characters? The reason he went for that route with Batman is because Batman doesn't have any super powers. He relies on martial arts and gadgets and stuff like that.

When you have a super hero that is so "grounded" as Batman is, it makes sense to create a world around him that is equally grounded. It's a route that definitely worked for Batman.

I seriously doubt that Nolan would try another "Batman" on Marvel super heroes. Marvel would have a winner if they'd ever get Nolan to write and direct a Marvel film, he's a master at story telling.

EDIT: OK what would make him not fit would be that he's really not all that good at action scenes. But have the Nolan brothers as writers at least, THEN we'd have a winner.
While not purely a Nolan work, Man of Steel seems like a rough approximation of how Nolan himself would approach a superhero film revolving around superhuman characters.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #257
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Just no. Not because he wouldn't work, I feel most of his work is better than anything Marvel studios has to offer right now (though I feel Insomnia and Following are weaker than Iron Man and Iron Man 3). I just would rather see more original work from him.
Why would you compare Insomnia and Following to any of the Marvel Studios films anyway? They're completely different tonally- and story-wise. The latter especially is an impressively made film for $6K (puts all Blumhouse 'microbudget' films to shame), but it's not a comic-book film.

And I personally can't see Nolan doing a Marvel film for several reasons. 1) He has never mentioned any Marvel characters he was a fan of, 2) He already got to do his dream CBM films, and 3) He wants to do new things and go elsewhere, not be pigeonholed as 'that Batman director'.

Even if his Syncopy production company took up with Disney, I just can't see him doing a Marvel film. Biggest stickler is that Kevin Feige just wouldn't give him the creative freedom, the higher-ups would seriously lowball him (even with his track record), and he would be 'encouraged' to shoot digitally. Nolan would exit the project before negotiations began.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #258
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Why would you compare Insomnia and Following to any of the Marvel Studios films anyway? They're completely different tonally- and story-wise. The latter especially is an impressively made film for $6K (puts all Blumhouse 'microbudget' films to shame), but it's not a comic-book film.

And I personally can't see Nolan doing a Marvel film for several reasons. 1) He has never mentioned any Marvel characters he was a fan of, 2) He already got to do his dream CBM films, and 3) He wants to do new things and go elsewhere, not be pigeonholed as 'that Batman director'.

Even if his Syncopy production company took up with Disney, I just can't see him doing a Marvel film. Biggest stickler is that Kevin Feige just wouldn't give him the creative freedom, the higher-ups would seriously lowball him (even with his track record), and he would be 'encouraged' to shoot digitally. Nolan would exit the project before negotiations began.
I compared them because I was looking at the filmography of Nolan and the Marvel Studios movies and I just was saying that I prefer those two MS movies to those two Nolan movies, compared to the rest of Nolan's movies I prefer to all of Marvel Studio's offerings.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #259
Octavias
Mad Insomniac

I like most of Nolans work, But I'm not sure Marvel would need his particular style that he has shown for comic book adaptions for their characters... DC built a lot of nigh invulnerable altruistic demigod type heroes and then spent 50 years trying to retrofit them with more relatable backgrounds.. marvel's heroes mostly sprung from the 60's out so they already had a lot of the flaws built into their backstories.

I'm sure there are some great stories he could tell, but Im not sure he'd need to reinvent a Spiderman or Xmen as much as he did with Batman or somewhat with supes to make them more relatable....
Lets look at Spidey... he loses his parents, loses his Uncle, then at some time or other Aunt, Close Girfriend, Best friend, wife, daughter, Identity, even his own Body... that all on top of constantly having his superhero responsibility screw up his life in every other way. Its already a pretty realistic and dare I say almost grim tale... IMO at least

Old 01-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #260
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Cool story bro

This thread is useless. Consider it closed.

Closed Thread