The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #51
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Default Re: Iron Man 3: Aldrich Killian's True Supervillain Alias Identified

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Plus personally speaking, I love that the Marvel films are shying away from being 100% all grim and serious. I like seeing levity in comic book movies, the Nolan stuff burned me out of the grimngritty.
Seriously. If you can't have fun watching an action-adventure movie, then what's the point? IM3 and STID were the most fun I've had in theaters so far this year.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #52
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

I really didn't see anymore comedic tones in IM3 than Avengers, which people also complained about. Can't wait till T:TDW comes out and people cry foul over the inevitable humor in that one too. I think some fans just felt swindled by the marketing, unlike most of the GA and critics. As someone who much prefers what we got than what we were sold, I liked the surprises of it all. In a time of this incessant "mystery box"-ing, the real surprises this year came from Marvel. Whether that's a good thing or not is of course subjective.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #53
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Marvel schooled Abrams on how to do the whole "mystery box" thing. It's amazing how they were able to keep the Mandarin twist so well guarded, while everyone knew Abrams was full of **** when he said Khan wasn't in STID.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #54
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Yeah, I feel like they really got it right. The whole point of Abrams' marketing is to of course keep the movie a surprise like in the old days, but the old days didn't have the heavy social media and online journalism of today. Marvel did something really innovative by actually using those things and spinning them to their advantage. They really were a real-life Killian in that way, haha

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #55
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Seriously. If you can't have fun watching an action-adventure movie, then what's the point? IM3 and STID were the most fun I've had in theaters so far this year.

Exactly.
The best adventure movies have healthy doses of humor in them. Look at the Indiana Jones series, and the ORIGINAL Star Wars trilogy. Some characters almost *require* grimdark --- Batman, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Blade, Wolverine, others...even Hulk solo --- but trying to leave humor out of the "four-color" comics like IM, CA, TA, Thor, FF, Superman, GOTG and Spidey runs counter to what their milieu is all about.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #56
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

I actually liked the dark but humorous tone that IM1 set, it was a nice blend of dark and light.

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #57
Oscorp
Koloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
The bold is what made me actually enjoy Kingsley's Mandarin from the jump. An actual terrorist that feels more real than what we saw in Nolan's trilogy like Ra's, Talia, Bane and the LoS because it wasn't some actual ninja clan, or the continuation of such ninja clan but actual terrorism that feels like the real world....then it all goes into shambles. I would've loved to see an IM3 without Killian and without Extremis. Use Ghost that wipes out all technology for the Ten Rings as they run havoc in the United States and most of the armors are wipe out except the Mark I where Stark has to use that junky armor against the Ten Rings and finally, Kingsley's Mandarin

But, if not that even, there is one article that had a "What If?" storyline that I really liked as well where they actually bring in magic and Mandarin has ten magic rings. That sounded better than what we actually got as well.

I definitely hope not.
I must say that I really like your Ghost idea there! I'd have loved to see something like that.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #58
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
The bold is what made me actually enjoy Kingsley's Mandarin from the jump. An actual terrorist that feels more real than what we saw in Nolan's trilogy like Ra's, Talia, Bane and the LoS because it wasn't some actual ninja clan, or the continuation of such ninja clan but actual terrorism that feels like the real world....then it all goes into shambles. I would've loved to see an IM3 without Killian and without Extremis. Use Ghost that wipes out all technology for the Ten Rings as they run havoc in the United States and most of the armors are wipe out except the Mark I where Stark has to use that junky armor against the Ten Rings and finally, Kingsley's Mandarin

But, if not that even, there is one article that had a "What If?" storyline that I really liked as well where they actually bring in magic and Mandarin has ten magic rings. That sounded better than what we actually got as well.

I definitely hope not.
100% agree with this.

HAWKEYE PUNISHER WOLVERINE WAR MACHINE

DREDD
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #59
BlackFox
Kuzuri

I dont mind a humour tone in Marvel films but I hope they keep it balanced and fits in with the character. IM3 went a bit too far for me but if they did that in a Punisher or DD film it really would not work.

DREDD
Old 06-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #60
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

There are levels to the humor that can be used. Ghost Rider, Blade, The Punisher; those characters would be more on the darker/serious side, the humor would have be pitch black.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #61
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
There are levels to the humor that can be used. Ghost Rider, Blade, The Punisher; those characters would be more on the darker/serious side, the humor would have be pitch black.
Exactly, this man gets it

DREDD
Old 07-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #62
Lord
All Mighty

I wonder if they'll use the character, for better or for worse Killian is the MCU's Mandarin, it would be a huge mistake to not use him again, not to mention that it would be beyond disapointing if he trully died the way he was last seen on screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote