1 2 1.71%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #151
batfreakforever
A real fan

Default Re: Updated Rating for The Dark Knight Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
Anyone saying this movie is perfect is deullsional or an extreme Nolanite. Its nowhere near a 10/10 movie......... its more like a 7.5 MAYBE an 8 max. Its not a movie you will want pop in and watch over and over again. I saw it twice in theaters and twice when I bought the batcowl edition blu ray in December and haven't watched it since and have no real desire to.
I used to view the batfans who really didn't like this film as mad but it all comes down to taste. They arn't wrong it's their view. I've viewed this film too many times to count. I watched it 6 times at the theater and when I got the broken cowl bluray I watched it almost every night for a month. Now it's maybe once every 3 weeks. I'm not a nolanite, I own most of his films but two (following,because I can't find it and have never watched it before) and Insomnia because I will watch it when its on tv but will not watch it enough to buy/own it. I own Inception/prestige/memento but havent watched them in nearly 10 mths+. Nolan just happens to make movies that I really enjoy. Which are his Batfilms.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #152
batfreakforever
A real fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
Anyone saying this movie is perfect is deullsional or an extreme Nolanite. Its nowhere near a 10/10 movie......... its more like a 7.5 MAYBE an 8 max. Its not a movie you will want pop in and watch over and over again. I saw it twice in theaters and twice when I bought the batcowl edition blu ray in December and haven't watched it since and have no real desire to.
I used to view the batfans who really didn't like this film as mad but it all comes down to taste. They arn't wrong it's their view. I've viewed this film too many times to count. I watched it 6 times at the theater and when I got the broken cowl bluray I watched it almost every night for a month. Now it's maybe once every 3 weeks. I'm not a nolanite, I own most of his films but two (following,because I can't find it and have never watched it before) and Insomnia because I will watch it when its on tv but will not watch it enough to buy/own it. I own Inception/prestige/memento but havent watched them in nearly 10 mths+. Nolan just happens to make movies that I really enjoy. Which are his Batfilms.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #153
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Hey, the last time I thought a superhero movie was a masterpiece was back in 1989 with Batman. nothing else made me say that but Nolan's TDK, so I was more than enthusiastic about this last movie, specially if it was the "end"of the story. And I still think, for the most part, is vastly superior to the average superhero movie, but the problem I had with the movie were enough to not give it 5/5.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #154
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I've probably seen TDKR a total of 12 times so far, including the theatres and watching it at home
Actually ive probably watched it on blu ray/dvd about 5 times so far. So I guess it's 9 and counting for me. Now you're giving me the urge!

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #155
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Well I'm not gonna apologize as you should watch TDKR again!

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #156
-Arya-
Batman v Superman - 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I gave it a 9 last year. But now it's definitely a solid 8. I still really, really enjoy the film, but it has more glaring issues or "flaws" that I cannot let pass. The scope, depth, character interactions, and acting still holds up extremely well. But the lack of a true revolution with more insight into the Gothamites struggles with not only Bane's occupation but with them questioning the validity of Batman and the truth about Harvey Dent is what really bugs me. I'd say that's the thing that I can't believe Nolan skimmed over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
You see, that's the thing - Nolan doesn't ignore a lot of those plot points in TDK, he just skims over them in favor of other....things.

Gordon actually gets arrested by "the people" in TDKR for his lies to the public, but he doesn't have any form of a mea culpa when he stands trial. That scene should have had so much weight to it, but Nolan just skimps out on the juicy stuff.

The Harvey Dent cover up is revealed by Bane at Blackgate prison, and then we see the fall out of a pissed off, jaded, and lied to Gotham City. Brilliant stuff is shown in the montage, but that is it. It stops right there after that scene, and then it's clean streets for the rest of the film.

Rachel's letter is something I haven't really though about. I mean, it's revealed to Bruce from Alfred in there last conversation before Alfred leaves. Great scene. But yeah, it's not really mentioned anymore. I guess you can spin it that Bruce really locked in on a subconscious suicide mission when he fought Bane the first time; because of hearing about the dear john letter. Still that's rather skimmed over too, but not as bad as the first two I mentioned.
I agree with most of what you mentioned here. I initially gave it an 9-9.5/10 and I think my rating today would be a strong 9/10. Despite the flaws in glossing over some of the poignant material from TDK, this films sheer emotional power with Bruce's journey still captivates me. I truely loved it.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #157
Thoix
Side-Kick

While I still think TDK is a better movie, I have to go with TDKR as my favorite of the trilogy.

BB = 9/10
TDK = 10/10
TDKR = 9.5/10

But personally: TDKR > TDK > BB

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #158
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Arya- View Post
I agree with most of what you mentioned here. I initially gave it an 9-9.5/10 and I think my rating today would be a strong 9/10. Despite the flaws in glossing over some of the poignant material from TDK, this films sheer emotional power with Bruce's journey still captivates me. I truely loved it.
Bruce's arc was beyond amazing in TDKR.

JackWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #159
antonydelfini
Dangerous Habits

I've watched it 6x.

First viewing: 6/10
2nd: 7/10
3rd-6th: 8/10

Batman Begins: 8/10
TDK: 9/10
TDKR: 8/10

Once I've accepted the fact that this was a different Batman and a different world from the comics and that this is Nolan's own Batman story, after the 3rd viewing Ive enjoyed it more and more.

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #160
BlackFox
Almost ninja

The second best comic book movie ever made after TDK. Though it at the time and nothing has come out since to change my mind.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #161
SilentWarriorZ
lemonidas

I loved it how TDKR was not just about money but about sending a message to the Diversely Populated culture

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #162
DACrowe
Side-Kick

You know, it is funny how so many have been arguing and bashing TDKR for the last year.

Now that the two superhero heavy hitters of 2013 are done (c'mon, The Wolverine?!), can we all just admit that a lot of the disappointment is because it did not live up to TDK? Because TDKR is a great, great film. And when you see other filmmakers take a stab at the genre, it just does not even come close to even this lesser effort in this trilogy.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #163
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
You know, it is funny how so many have been arguing and bashing TDKR for the last year.

Now that the two superhero heavy hitters of 2013 are done (c'mon, The Wolverine?!), can we all just admit that a lot of the disappointment is because it did not live up to TDK? Because TDKR is a great, great film. And when you see other filmmakers take a stab at the genre, it just does not even come close to even this lesser effort in this trilogy.
It's not a lesser effort, TDK is just ridiculously overrated. All three of them are good but BB is still the best. TDKR is second best to me because it ties in much better with BB and because Bruce is a lot more of the focus in TDKR than he is in TDK.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #164
Kazuki
Banned User

Quote:

I donīt think it lived up or down to TDK. It just lived in a different direction.

TDK has a tighter script, but TDKR has more powerful scenes.

I give the movie 8.7. It is great in almost every aspect.

Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #165
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Well, if it makes you feel better, I think BB is the weakest.

I still give it a 9/10 (same with TDKR, give 10/10 to TDK). I just feel the sequels really upped the stakes and depth of the genre while the first is a traditional origin film. Probably the best origin film ever made, but it is a bit too formulaic compared to the other two.

--John Adams
Old 06-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #166
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Agreed. I too think BB is the weakest, but that's not saying really much when I view TDK and TDKR to be great filmmaking in the superhero genre. But all three together, and you have a masterpiece(which would only be better if we ever get an epilogue to tie up some questions that TDKR couldn't really answer).

Old 06-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #167
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Honestly, I think it is best if we never go beyond the end credits of TDKR.

What I do feel we missed out on were adventures in between TDK and TDKR. I sincerely get that Nolan was tired after two and only wanted to do one more. Besides, (good) sequels are about escalation and the only way to really escalate from TDK was to have a villain actually SUCCEED in destroying the city, if only temporarily, as TDKR did.

However, it feels like there are several missing chapters to Bruce Wayne's journey. There should be at least one story of Batman throwing himself into his work in an all-consuming way after Rachel's death until he realizes that the Dent Act has allowed Gotham to no longer need him. It would also be great if it took two years later after TDK, implying Bruce Wayne has lived and breathed Batman in his "prime" for close to 4 years at this point, explaining why his body is in such bad shape during TDKR.

I understand that Nolan did not want the story to become episodic, but it does feel like we skipped a few steps to get to the end, which TDKR was a fine version of. But that feeling like there is more that could have happened in-between is my only complaint about the trilogy. And ultimately, it is pretty minor.

--John Adams
Old 06-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #168
DACrowe
Side-Kick

What I do feel we missed out on were adventures in between TDK and TDKR. I sincerely get that Nolan was tired after two and only wanted to do one more. Besides, (good) sequels are about escalation and the only way to really escalate from TDK was to have a villain actually SUCCEED in destroying the city, if only temporarily, as TDKR did.

However, it feels like there are several missing chapters to Bruce Wayne's journey. There should be at least one story of Batman throwing himself into his work in an all-consuming way after Rachel's death until he realizes that the Dent Act has allowed Gotham to no longer need him. It would also be great if it took two years later after TDK, implying Bruce Wayne has lived and breathed Batman in his "prime" for close to 4 years at this point, explaining why his body is in such bad shape during TDKR.

I understand that Nolan did not want the story to become episodic, but it does feel like we skipped a few steps to get to the end, which TDKR was a fine version of. But that feeling like there is more that could have happened in-between is my only complaint about the trilogy. And ultimately, it is pretty minor.

--John Adams
Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #169
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:

Epic double post was....epic!

But yeah, totally agree with this. It definitely felt like there was a story between TDK and TDKR. I just wish Nolan had hinted at it, especially considering how little we got of Bruce in the suit in TDKR. Hearing that he was still out there until the Dent Act was in full swing would have been really nice.

JackWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #170
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

See, that's where I would have to disagree. Some things TDKR couldn't really answer due to time constraints because of IMAX or just because things couldn't have moved that fast to answer them. Once a new mayor is brought on board, I'm sure Gordon's job will be put on the spotlight because of the Dent conspiracy(but in the film it makes sense that the "war hero" is still the Commissioner as much as Batman is celebrated as they are both responsible for the Dent conspiracy), how Wayne Enterprises will progress after Bruce's "death" since he gave away his items in his will to take care of Wayne Enterprises' debt, what will become of Robin John Blake or Scarecrow(which I always assume would go hand to hand as Scarecrow could be Blake's first "villain" since it was Bruce's), or what even of Joker(since Nolan obviously didn't want to mention him)? An epilogue would be amazing and a must need, imo.

And I could actually see Bruce quitting as Batman very quickly after TDK's events because, as we know of how criminality works in Nolan's universe, the center of it all is organized crime and the top guys are done for by the end of TDK. While something of Bruce being captivated over this Batman monster would and could be cool, it does make sense for what is shown. I would think such as you if it wasn't really mentioned that organized crime is this "root of evil" when it comes to crimes in Gotham, but it is mentioned in Batman Begins by Rachel Dawes.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #171
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Those are lingering questions that would never be answered in a film's context. It is more poetic to end where it does.

Also, removing heads of crime creates power vacuums. Look at how three sprung up in TDK. The Dent Act was the city not allowing that to happen again. But legislation's passage and enactment takes time. I like the idea of Batman being on a one man war with crime for several years until the cops start succeeding without his help. Then he moves on to the fusion reactor. And we all know where that leads for the character.

--John Adams
Old 06-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #172
Anno_Domini
Banned User

There couldn't really be a power vaccum when everyone else besides the top tier guys are in prison, though. Only down the line, maybe so, and that's how the other 500 or so are sent to Blackgate, but I didn't think anything called for Batman to be needed after TDK's events. If anything, Batman just needed to be that silent guardian he's always been, but imo, only for a short amount of time.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #173
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:

Man you hit the nail of the head there. A lot of hate was for TDKR not being TDK but then what has come since doesnt even get close to TDKR you realise that it was such a great film in its own right.

If TDK never existed TDKR would be held up as the high point of comic book movies.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #174
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Man you hit the nail of the head there. A lot of hate was for TDKR not being TDK but then what has come since doesnt even get close to TDKR you realise that it was such a great film in its own right.

If TDK never existed TDKR would be held up as the high point of comic book movies.
The hate for TDKR comes from a loud minority. It is incredibly well received by the GA. More so than most superhero movies.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #175
batfreakforever
A real fan

The hate for TDKR is a small minority. But those people will do anything to say otherwise, Just to prove their point by using stupid polls, or quotes that are used out of context.