3 2 1.64%
2 1 0.82%
1 2 1.64%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #51
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Default Re: Official rate & review IRON MAN 3 thread! - Part 3

Probably the 2nd best superhero trilogy to me by default. I enjoyed this one more than IM2. I don't care for that movie at all. I'm not a huge IM fan so the twist didn't bother me. I had other issues however. But they weren't enough to outright hate it. 6.5/10

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #52
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Iron Man 3 was way better than it's predecessor but IM2 was so bad (imho) that it didn't really take much. Seeing Tony out of his suit as much as he was was an interesting way to take "Iron Man" but Tony 'James Bond' Stark was kind of neat...and The twist actually had me laughing (didn't spoil myself) initially, so I guess marvel did it's jobeven though all the armors fighting were cool, after the 'big battle' I realized Kingsley was more menacing and effective in those tapings than pearce could ever have hoped to be as the big bad. It almost ruined as much as BW surviving with that cop-out auto-pilot fix at the end of TDKR.

But alas, no film is perfect it was good but it could have been phenomenal

7/10 with a big missed opportunity to take this movie to notches unknown.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #53
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
My final conclusion on this film is that it's a good movie which was needlessly denied greatness almost entirely due to one single mind-bogglingly dumb creative decision. Definitely the weakest of the 3 for me. Still, it's the best superhero trilogy to date as far as I'm concerned since there aren't any bad entries. But boy did they come close to screwing it up with this movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
Probably the 2nd best superhero trilogy to me by default. I enjoyed this one more than IM2. I don't care for that movie at all. I'm not a huge IM fan so the twist didn't bother me. I had other issues however. But they weren't enough to outright hate it. 6.5/10
How can this franchise be considered a trilogy when this movie is referencing events that took place in none of its three films?

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #54
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
How can this franchise be considered a trilogy when this movie is referencing events that took place in none of its three films?
To be honest I consider The Avengers as Iron Man 3 than Iron Man 3 mainly because that movie the main focus and the main hero of the movie was Iron Man. It felt more like the other heroes were just popping up in an Iron Man movie.

Superman Earth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #55
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Earth1 View Post
To be honest I consider The Avengers as Iron Man 3 than Iron Man 3 mainly because that movie the main focus and the main hero of the movie was Iron Man. It felt more like the other heroes were just popping up in an Iron Man movie.
Not really. Cap had more screen time than Iron Man.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #56
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
You're right, of couse. None of the MCU films are true trilogies any more than the 1st three Bond movies constituted a trilogy.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #57
Nathan

Watched it today. Started strong, Kingsley killed it as Mandarin on tape, but the second Tony met the kid, the Movie went downhill. It picked up when the action started, but most of the scenes in between were just, gah... there are no words. Can't forgive them for the **** they pulled with the Mandarin. The final action scene was amazing. Loved, absolutely loved, Pepper's moment. The movie did some things really well, but had way too many missteps, that I can't give it more than a 7/10. This the first Iron Man Movie, that I don't have the desire to watch a 2nd time.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #58
OstrichsRevenge
Side-Kick

I watched the How It Should Have Ended version of Iron Man 3 and it sums up my feelings pretty good about the movie.

Tony Stark is Iron Man aaaaaaand so is Jarvis. There is a definite finality to the film with the "clean slate." IMO, that's a good thing. I love RDJ as Iron Man and he was great in this movie as always, but it was the movie itself and the story that kind of ruined it. Why didn't Stark put his whole house in defense mode once he GAVE OUT HIS ADDRESS??? That seems like a huge oversight for a genius who was quoted in the movie saying smart guys cover their ass.

Ah well, time to look forward to Thor 2.

OstrichsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #59
SilentWarriorZ
lemonidas

Ironman 3 lived upto the Avengers but the only disappointment was Mandarin it would have been better they stick to the comic version and bring more Science vs magic thing .

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #60
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Perhaps the most underwhelming MCU movie. But not the worst.
Objectively I would give it a 7.5/10 but IM is awesome so I give it an 8.2/10.

Edit: I will raise my rating to an 8.5 after viewing it a second time.

Last edited by Ms. Marvel; 07-18-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #61
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Certainly the weakest of the three but not unwatchable. Didnt agree with some of the design choices so can see why fans of the comics would be hacked off. 5/10

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)

Last edited by BlackFox; 06-30-2013 at 03:14 AM.
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #62
halo10
Side-Kick

here's my own review on Iron Man 3- Cheers!

* I saw Iron Man 3 Ė and came away very impressed. So much so that I have to easily rate IM3 a much more better film than both the previous Iron Man films, and thatís saying a lot with the first film featuring the origin of Iron Man and introducing the delightful presence of Tony Stark Ė who of course continues to be wonderfully done by Robert Downey Jr.

Normally in trilogies and on ,you see series lose a lot of steam and start to become disinteresting and flat, and it seems like a greedy way of studios gaining profit from the series early success Ė but such is not the case for Iron Man 3 - this is a 3rd film which has succeeded the previous and i was delighted that it provided a much more faster pace, more interesting plot and surprise villain element than what wasnít expected at all. I have to admit that there were scenes in first IM that I thought were just ordinary,

In the 2nd IM, there were actual periods that were so slow and dragged me into restlessness but I didnít get any of that sense in Iron Man 3. It was so well put together, it has a good pace, consistent and a good flow in both script writing, plot, dialogue, character development, action sequences and visual special effects
I really enjoyed it from top beginning to end and considered it unique in itís own way.

What continues to make Iron Man films unique is itís more than armor creativity, visual graphic cyber technology CGI special effects, more than any superhero, even more than Christian Baleís portrayal of Bruce Wayne in Dark Knight series is the character of Robert Downey Jr.s Tony Stark role. The dialogue, the zany outlandish sense of humor, playboy charming, annoying arrogance and overall unpredictability of Stark plays a huge impact.

Heís so natural and effortless in this role, and in my theater the audience continue to get a big laughing kick of his Tony Stark dialogue. Sometimes I couldnít even catch the other lines because they were snickering so hard and loud. You couldnít get a clue on when he was going to be chalk serious or jokingly humorous. But I got the biggest impression when he not only dealt with a swarming, overwhelming personal attack ( which was one of the three awesome action/special effects sequences in the entire film) but how he overcame being without his greatest weapon.

Another big treat was the action scenes involving Starks top assistant Pepper Potts (portrayed by Gwyneth Paltrow) I thought she would resume only her role as Starkís top Assistant and part time girlfriend in helping Starkís struggling with his endangering lifestyle as IM. But she is forceably forced into the action, which she coincidentally she is involved in 2 of the 3 most amazing action scenes. Speaking of those three really big, terrific action scenes, one I admit to being quite in awe and astounded in how Iron Man strategically pull this impossible stunt through.

And keep close eye on Jarvisí Ė Starkís Artificial Intelligence System that allows him to perform an amazing amount of feats with the Iron Man Armor suit(s)
I thought it was ironic bad timing with Iron Man 3 presenting terroristic bombings by the same time we in the USA had recent experience with the Boston terror bombing crisis.

One peeve I continue to have regrets on the franchise deciding to replace Terrence Howard as Colonel. James Rhodes Ė after the 1st film, Öand I still have that regret. Don Cheadle returns as Rhodes/War Machine and renamed as Iron Patriot in IM3, But he was less involved in this one and less appealing and less interesting and I simply havenít gotten into him. Heís just a JAG (Just Another Guy) I donít know if itís physical build, height, looks, demeanor or charisma but Cheadle hasnít come close to taking notice of him as I did Howard in the James Rhode role. And shame on me but I canít help dwelling on that every time I see Cheadle as Rhode

. I also liked that Tony Stark encountered and teamed up with an unexpected ally, even while still struggling with a dangerous physical illness brought on by the Avengers crisis. We saw how that illness threatened not only himself but those close to him.

Another one was the surprise element of the villainous Mandarin who was portrayed earlier as a ruthless Bin Laden type wild man. In the Marvel Comic I grew up reading, i remember him as being a very cunning top notch martial artist with a host of ten extraordinary powerful rings (lasers, neuro-pitch sounds, deep zero freeze, illusions, darkness/blinding light, etc,) I admit to liking something different and unpredictable twists but this one took me totally by surprise, I thought it was a trap. For one the Mandarin in the comics was oriental descent while the film seemed to portray him as Mid-Eastern.

I thought it was ironic timing with IM3 film presenting terrorist acts from a villain when we are realistically experiencing terrorism in our very homeland in the recent Boston bombings.

As much as I really enjoyed IM3 the talk of saying Iron Man 3 being better than the Avengers should be considered an over-exaggeration,, it doesn't suffice the combined characteristics of every Avenger.
I had very high expectations for Iron Man 3 Öand not only did it not disappoint me, but it easily exceeded my expectations and provided me with one of the
very best films of the year thus far Ė and easily one of very best Marvel Superhero movies- Two thumbs ..way up for Iron Man 3...!!

On a scale of 1-to 10, I give Iron Man 3 an 8.5

halo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #63
Bert
Side-Kick

Great review! Choke on that haters i personally liked it better than iron man 1 and 2, and I love iron man!

MCU in order for me
avengers>IM 3> Cap > iron man > hulk > IM 2 > Thor. Whoo!

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #64
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

My order would be:
Avengers>IM>Cap>IM3>Thor>IM2>Hulk

Old 07-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #65
OcStat
Side-Kick

halo10's review is spot on for me.

I remain thoroughly impressed, not satisfied, impressed with what the movie was able to pull off, visually, with the action sequences, the risks it took with the main villain, and the character arc of Tony Stark.

That a single character movie was just as thrilling after The Avengers gives me high hopes for The Dark World and Winter Soldier.

I can't wait to pick this up on BR in September. I did not run out and grab Iron Man 2 the day it came out.

Avengers>IM3>IM>Cap=Thor>IM2>TIH

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #66
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

3/10 sorry

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #67
OcStat
Side-Kick

Really? What makes you give it such a low score? Do you think it is the weakest MCU film?

(If you have posted your opinions on the matter already I apologize)

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #68
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

I just watched it again, and liked it even more a second time.

This is a vibrant, energetic, funny film and it's truly sad fans can't get over the depiction of a C-List villain simply because he just happens to be Iron Man's most well known foe.

If say, Black Manta was drastically altered in an Aqua Man movie would people freak out as much? He isn't popular or well regarded. He just happens to be Aqua Man's most well known Rogue. Nobody can really say "Hell ya Black Manta forEVA!" Just like they can't say that about Mandarin.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #69
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo10 View Post
here's my own review on Iron Man 3- Cheers!

* I saw Iron Man 3 Ė and came away very impressed. So much so that I have to easily rate IM3 a much more better film than both the previous Iron Man films, and thatís saying a lot with the first film featuring the origin of Iron Man and introducing the delightful presence of Tony Stark Ė who of course continues to be wonderfully done by Robert Downey Jr.

Normally in trilogies and on ,you see series lose a lot of steam and start to become disinteresting and flat, and it seems like a greedy way of studios gaining profit from the series early success Ė but such is not the case for Iron Man 3 - this is a 3rd film which has succeeded the previous and i was delighted that it provided a much more faster pace, more interesting plot and surprise villain element than what wasnít expected at all. I have to admit that there were scenes in first IM that I thought were just ordinary,

In the 2nd IM, there were actual periods that were so slow and dragged me into restlessness but I didnít get any of that sense in Iron Man 3. It was so well put together, it has a good pace, consistent and a good flow in both script writing, plot, dialogue, character development, action sequences and visual special effects
I really enjoyed it from top beginning to end and considered it unique in itís own way.

What continues to make Iron Man films unique is itís more than armor creativity, visual graphic cyber technology CGI special effects, more than any superhero, even more than Christian Baleís portrayal of Bruce Wayne in Dark Knight series is the character of Robert Downey Jr.s Tony Stark role. The dialogue, the zany outlandish sense of humor, playboy charming, annoying arrogance and overall unpredictability of Stark plays a huge impact.

Heís so natural and effortless in this role, and in my theater the audience continue to get a big laughing kick of his Tony Stark dialogue. Sometimes I couldnít even catch the other lines because they were snickering so hard and loud. You couldnít get a clue on when he was going to be chalk serious or jokingly humorous. But I got the biggest impression when he not only dealt with a swarming, overwhelming personal attack ( which was one of the three awesome action/special effects sequences in the entire film) but how he overcame being without his greatest weapon.

Another big treat was the action scenes involving Starks top assistant Pepper Potts (portrayed by Gwyneth Paltrow) I thought she would resume only her role as Starkís top Assistant and part time girlfriend in helping Starkís struggling with his endangering lifestyle as IM. But she is forceably forced into the action, which she coincidentally she is involved in 2 of the 3 most amazing action scenes. Speaking of those three really big, terrific action scenes, one I admit to being quite in awe and astounded in how Iron Man strategically pull this impossible stunt through.

And keep close eye on Jarvisí Ė Starkís Artificial Intelligence System that allows him to perform an amazing amount of feats with the Iron Man Armor suit(s)
I thought it was ironic bad timing with Iron Man 3 presenting terroristic bombings by the same time we in the USA had recent experience with the Boston terror bombing crisis.

One peeve I continue to have regrets on the franchise deciding to replace Terrence Howard as Colonel. James Rhodes Ė after the 1st film, Öand I still have that regret. Don Cheadle returns as Rhodes/War Machine and renamed as Iron Patriot in IM3, But he was less involved in this one and less appealing and less interesting and I simply havenít gotten into him. Heís just a JAG (Just Another Guy) I donít know if itís physical build, height, looks, demeanor or charisma but Cheadle hasnít come close to taking notice of him as I did Howard in the James Rhode role. And shame on me but I canít help dwelling on that every time I see Cheadle as Rhode

. I also liked that Tony Stark encountered and teamed up with an unexpected ally, even while still struggling with a dangerous physical illness brought on by the Avengers crisis. We saw how that illness threatened not only himself but those close to him.

Another one was the surprise element of the villainous Mandarin who was portrayed earlier as a ruthless Bin Laden type wild man. In the Marvel Comic I grew up reading, i remember him as being a very cunning top notch martial artist with a host of ten extraordinary powerful rings (lasers, neuro-pitch sounds, deep zero freeze, illusions, darkness/blinding light, etc,) I admit to liking something different and unpredictable twists but this one took me totally by surprise, I thought it was a trap. For one the Mandarin in the comics was oriental descent while the film seemed to portray him as Mid-Eastern.

I thought it was ironic timing with IM3 film presenting terrorist acts from a villain when we are realistically experiencing terrorism in our very homeland in the recent Boston bombings.

As much as I really enjoyed IM3 the talk of saying Iron Man 3 being better than the Avengers should be considered an over-exaggeration,, it doesn't suffice the combined characteristics of every Avenger.
I had very high expectations for Iron Man 3 Öand not only did it not disappoint me, but it easily exceeded my expectations and provided me with one of the
very best films of the year thus far Ė and easily one of very best Marvel Superhero movies- Two thumbs ..way up for Iron Man 3...!!

On a scale of 1-to 10, I give Iron Man 3 an 8.5
Very, very well said. I have seen this now 3 times and its easily my favorite of the franchise and that's hard to do as the first is as flawless and one can get.
My disappoint is not with the movie, but the fan reaction, especially in the die hard Iron man community which I am a big part of. I believe expectations were rather high from the die hard fans concerning Mandarin and when the twist happened, there was some betrayal felt from the Iron man community, as we wanted the classic Mandarin or least what we were lead to see in all the trailers, there is an inferiority complex in the community, and a sense that Marvel will sacrifice Iron mans history and rogues to please the GA, its been done a few times over the years, especially concerning Mandarin, from the beginning Jon Favreau said he felt Mandarin was more a Emperor from Star Wars, kind of behind the scenes, running the show, and admitted he had no idea how to make him fit into a real world setting, so when sir Ben Kingsley was cast, we were not sure, then that first poster was shown and he looked awesome, him setting there with those glasses, foot on Iron man helmet, looking evil, it was what we hoped for, and then the twist happened and a lot of Iron man fans I have spoken to hated the movie from that point on, even now, fans can not get past that.
For me, guess I am more open minded and loved the twist, its been a life long dream to see Iron Man on the big screen and take his place among the elite heroes, where I always felt he belonged. Robert Downey Jr. is Tony Stark and its been an awesome ride.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #70
divan
Side-Kick

My Ranking: Marvel's The Avengers, Iron Man, Iron Man Three, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk.

divan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #71
howl
thrash beyond death

better than the 2nd. Shane Black, you beautiful sonofab****!

DAMN YOU, SNYDER
howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #72
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

I finally watched this for the first time

Loved the style & the characters. That kid was great and I liked everyone actually. Liked the Mandarin and that Guy Pearce dude.

One of my best Marvel films and at times it doesn't feel like an Iron Man film per se. I personally prefer how they do a different kind of film but with Iron Man in it. I love when they put superheroes in different kind of films. That kind of thing rocks my boat.

Ramsay Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #73
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Marvel's tone has always been on the lighter side so the comedy they have doesn't really affect things for me.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #74
Kimura
Banned User

Meh! Maybe a 6.5?

Didnīt impress me, but i enjoyed it.Itīs one of those movies that donīt really have anything particularly outstanding, but it is pretty watchable.

Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #75
Smegger56
The Smegginator

I really enjoyed this one. I don't get the negative views that I've seen/read. But that's me.

At times I felt they rushed or brushed over some emotional/character scenes. But overall a jolly good watch. 8/10

And that after credits scene is brilliant .

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote