The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which Version(s) of Lex Luthor?
Mad Scientist 76 21.41%
Inventor 101 28.45%
Corrupt Businessman 318 89.58%
Fan of Superboy (root of his hatred for Superman) 6 1.69%
Former Friend of Clark Kent in Smallville 49 13.80%
Crook (Donnerverse) 16 4.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #11
regwec
Shakespearo

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjt View Post
A great suggestion. I don't why I didn't think of West before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
Clive Owen would be my pick.
Clive is a good looking bloke who can seem physically imposing, but I swear he cannot act. He delivers everything in the same dull, expressionless monotone. He cannot even alter his accent very well. The only character that he is really suited to is some kind of Terminator or other robot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Luthor has to be white. And male. Hell no to Denzel as Lex. That would suck. Are the casting choices really that bad or limited that we have to suggest a guy who looks nothing like him to play him?
The race debate reverberates in every casting thread. There are some characters that would be altered too much if their race was changed, because there is an important cultural background to them (i.e. James Bond, Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent). Others are less specific, and I don't think actors of different racial background should be excluded if they have qualities that make them otherwise highly suited to the role. I think Lex Luthor is just such a character; so is Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Edward Nigma and Selina Kyle (assuming the concept of her Falcone blood is not used).

This is a particular factor for DC, because most of its principle characters were created in the 1930s-40s, when non-whites just weren't represented at all. The comics are clearly trying to redress this, since almost every new hero seems to be non-American, or non-white, or non-male, or non-heterosexual. The problem with that from a movie perspective is that all of those characters are (currently) almost unknown outside the comics. Who is really going to make a Vibe or a BatWing movie?

Denzel would be great as Lex. He isn't the only choice, but I don't think the fact he has black skin should rule him out.