Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #76
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingDee View Post
This is somewhat of a contradiction (There seems to be a distinct lack of industry terms on this board)...the most prominent female role is almost always the female lead. Storm is actually the second female lead in X3 mostly because her character has no real impact on the story. There are no Storm-centric scenes in X3 which would be quite unusual for a female lead. Also, the female lead is almost always the male lead's love interest. Let's not even get into the fact that Jean gets an "origin" flashback, her own storyline, multiple love interests, multiple musical themes/cues in the soundtrack, and interactions/connections to all the major characters in the film.
Yep, I agree. You're quite right that Jean is the female lead in X3. However, the confusion and debate about who was the female lead arises from the storytelling of the movie. Halle/Storm had a prominent role alongside Wolverine and for a large part of the movie Jean's story was in the background. They also had Phoenix just standing around on Alcatraz.

The story structure of the movie was not very good, because the Phoenix plot and Cure plot were not tied together enough and because Phoenix was sidelined for part of the movie.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #77
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
I think that the time traveller (or the time-displaced person heh) will be either Wolverine or Professor X, depending on how they tackle it. If it's some kind of mind displacement I still think it will be Professor X, simply because his powers are just more naturally suited for that sort of thing. And because the story according to Singer is about how things you've done/haven't done as a young man in the past affect the future and what if you could go back and change it, which again to me feels like a more natural fit for Professor X. I know that he can manipulate other people's minds as well, but mindswitch for a character like Wolverine still feels strange to me somehow. But you never know of course.
There has to be a need, or a fit for Wolverine in the 70's. What's the point of recruiting Wolverine if Xavier's mind is getting swapped? What if Xavier's brain goes into Wolverines, as lame as that would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I'm gonna keep to the possible idea that as wolverine changes the past we see how it effects the future each time, maybe there will be 3 different futures seen, one after TLS! One alternative with jean and Scott alive and the last one

The only problem with doing that is that it will mean alot of the OT is changed

Who knows where singer is going with this
This will require non-linear story telling like we've gotten with other time travel films. Where you see changes unfolding in the future based directly on what the time traveler changes in the past. And it simply doesn't fit some of the things we've heard all along, notably that the future will probably be one-offed after the first 30 minutes, rather than spread intermittently throughout the film. So I don't see that remotely fitting with what they have going on here.

If I had to bet money, I'm gonna say they either make the events of the OT impossible to come to fruition and clean the slate entirely (most likely), or nothing changes at all, and they simply have to deal with the future as it is, and come up with explanations for Scott/Jean returning if that's the case. Possible, but unlikely.

Last edited by Mr.M; 07-01-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #78
Angamb
Banned User

MTV posted an article about latest Singer words with that international flavor of the sequel.

And they mentioned the Second Genesis comic of the early 70's, when Xavier had to recruit many mutants around the world, and thats when Wolverine, Banshee, Storm, Thunderbird, Colossus and more joined the X-Men.

So.... what if that's something Bryan has in store?

After the mind travel, young Charles have to form a new team, and thats when 70's Wolverine and a few others join the x-men, including maybe Josh Helman, and possible new young members.

Now that MTV reminded me that issue, I wouldnt be surprised if thats part of the 70's plot.

Id love to see that!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #79
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
MTV posted an article about latest Singer words with that international flavor of the sequel.

And they mentioned the Second Genesis comic of the early 70's, when Xavier had to recruit many mutants around the world, and thats when Wolverine, Banshee, Storm, Thunderbird, Colossus and more joined the X-Men.

After the mind travel, young Charles have to form a new team, and thats when 70's Wolverine and a few others join the x-men, including maybe Josh Helman, and possible new young members.

Now that MTV reminded me that issue, I wouldnt be surprised if thats part of the 70's plot.

Id love to see that!
yeah that would be cool

Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #80
Angamb
Banned User

it would be pretty awesome to see James McAvoy and Nich traveling to some countries and meeting a few new mutants.

ending with Wolverine on Canada, New York, or wherever he is.

And then, we see them all at the mansion finally. would be a great nod to that #1 of Second Genesis.

but since Singer doesnt care about that type of nods.... no, we wont get it.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #81
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I really hope it's Xavier who sends his mind back to his young self via Cerebro. Then he recruits Wolverine. That would be much better IMO. This would be before Weapon X anyway so he wouldn't remember and X1 could still happen in a fixed timeline or something. Because if it really IS Wolverine who gets a mind swap then god help us all. We will never get another X-film where Wolverine is not the main character aside from FC. It can't be him who travels unless it's a group of people like Bishop and Kitty.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #82
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post

Id love to see that!
Maybe, although to force such a nod into the story might feel a bit contrived if it isn't already a natural part of the story they came up with.

The other thing is that it won't be much of a nod if the classic Second Genesis characters (Storm, Colossus, Sunfire, Banshee, Wolverine, Thunderbird, Nightcrawler) are replaced by other people.

Of all those characters, it looks like only Wolverine is back in the 70s. Banshee has been dumped and the others are either in the future (Storm, Colossus and Thunderbird's brother Warpath) or absent altogether (Nightcrawler, Sunfire).

Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #83
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I really hope it's Xavier who sends his mind back to his young self via Cerebro. Then he recruits Wolverine. That would be much better IMO. This would be before Weapon X anyway so he wouldn't remember and X1 could still happen in a fixed timeline or something. Because if it really IS Wolverine who gets a mind swap then god help us all. We will never get another X-film where Wolverine is not the main character aside from FC. It can't be him who travels unless it's a group of people like Bishop and Kitty.
If the OT is in fact the corrected timeline, then it is simply inconsistent with "fixing things" as Singer said. Why say you are fixing things if you aren't actually fixing things? And should that still be the case, the "time loop" will have to be closed, and everything would have to revert to as it was, leaving Logan's fate in the OT unaltered along with everything else. The only way you can correct this crap is to make Logan the focal point and have him change everything. Maybe in his efforts to stop the Sentinels, it brings about other positive changes like previously deceased X-Men survivng in the future. If that's Singers play, then I won't fault him for making Jackman the focal point again.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #84
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
If the OT is in fact the corrected timeline, then it is simply inconsistent with "fixing things" as Singer said. Why say you are fixing things if you aren't actually fixing things? And should that still be the case, the "time loop" will have to be closed, and everything would have to revert to as it was, leaving Logan's fate in the OT unaltered along with everything else. The only way you can correct this crap is to make Logan the focal point and have him change everything. Maybe in his efforts to stop the Sentinels, it brings about other positive changes like previously deceased X-Men survivng in the future. If that's Singers play, then I won't fault him for making Jackman the focal point again.
Why does it necessarily have to be changes caused by Wolverine that alter the future to bring the previously deceased X-Men back to life?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #85
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

the reason why it would most likely be wolverine mind switching is because he looked the same in the 70s as he does in the future and this still being a pretty big part FC sequel you can't have character development for young Xavier if its older Xaviers mind switching

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-01-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #86
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
the reason why it would most likely be wolverine mind switching is because he looked the same in the 70s as he does in the future and this still being a pretty big part FC sequel you can't have character development for young Xavier if its older Xaviers mind switching
That makes sense. But I still want to have a tantrum over Wolverine hogging the limelight once more

Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #87
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
This.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #88
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Why does it necessarily have to be changes caused by Wolverine that alter the future to bring the previously deceased X-Men back to life?
Well assuming only consciousness can be transferred, or brains, to simplify any technicalities, then only Xavier and Logan are in play. So why not Xavier? Good question. Is Cerebro destroyed in the future? Is it only possible using Wolverine's brain/mind? Maybe Xavier is vital in the future and Logan is the only viable volunteer. Who knows? But a Logan switchup, pre-adamantium, escaping from Stryker, and finding 70's Xavier, seems like a viable plot to me. If we were stopping Sen. Robert Kelly's death, then maybe they could have picked any of the X-Men to brain swap, but they wanted to incorporate the FC cast, so they went 1973. I think the movie will focus on Logan not only trying to stop the inception of the Sentinels, but also conjuring up ways to change his own destiny and fates of his future friends in the OT. Maybe McKellan's Magneto comes to the conclusion that his younger self must be eliminated and tells Logan to pursue this action. It's just a good way to close the books on this story and start anew with a fresh cast in the future.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #89
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Well assuming only consciousness can be transferred, or brains, to simplify any technicalities, then only Xavier and Logan are in play. So why not Xavier? Good question. Is Cerebro destroyed in the future? Is it only possible using Wolverine's brain/mind? Maybe Xavier is vital in the future and Logan is the only viable volunteer. Who knows? But a Logan switchup, pre-adamantium, escaping from Stryker, and finding 70's Xavier, seems like a viable plot to me. If we were stopping Sen. Robert Kelly's death, then maybe they could have picked any of the X-Men to brain swap, but they wanted to incorporate the FC cast, so they went 1973. I think the movie will focus on Logan not only trying to stop the inception of the Sentinels, but also conjuring up ways to change his own destiny and fates of his future friends in the OT. Maybe McKellan's Magneto comes to the conclusion that his younger self must be eliminated and tells Logan to pursue this action. It's just a good way to close the books on this story and start anew with a fresh cast in the future.
Your awful obsessed with starting anew with fresh cast and trying to make this film moe complicated that It needs to be.

Again Bryan Singer Is directing.If your going to erase films you don't hire director who started series.

Fox back In 2009 could have rebooted after origins.They made first a prequel that blured line between prequel and reboot.They are coming out with the wolverine set after trilogy and they have more OT cast members In DOFP than first class cast.

Studios don't give a rat's ass about giving a closing the book on series.They just reboot when they want and to hell with what fans think or want.

Some people tend to forget there will be some elements of the comic book version of DOFP.We were never going to get a perfect example of comic book
but it's fairly easy to assume wolverine's mission In past Is to prevent the events that will plant the seeds for Sentinles In the future.

Jean Grey's likely inclusion and Famke Janssen needing stunt double throws an entire monkey wrench Into what to expect with this film.

With bryan singer's compassion to the terminator you could make a case that time travel In this film leads to events of trilogy+The Wolverine but that doesn't quite jive with Singer's correcting some things comments.

If fox didn't reboot after the last Stand or Origins what makes you think they would after the excitement that Is building for DOFP.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #90
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingDee View Post
This is somewhat of a contradiction (There seems to be a distinct lack of industry terms on this board)...the most prominent female role is almost always the female lead. Storm is actually the second female lead in X3 mostly because her character has no real impact on the story. There are no Storm-centric scenes in X3 which would be quite unusual for a female lead. Also, the female lead is almost always the male lead's love interest. Let's not even get into the fact that Jean gets an "origin" flashback, her own storyline, multiple love interests, multiple musical themes/cues in the soundtrack, and interactions/connections to all the major characters in the film.
I think I have always disagreed with you on this point. But this time I concede. I've finally seen the light and stopped blinding myself. Storm's character wasn't really the lead in any of the movies. The only reason she was in X3 was because she was played by Halle Berry who was very popular back then.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 07-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #91
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
If fox didn't reboot after the last Stand or Origins what makes you think they would after the excitement that Is building for DOFP.
Um... so they can do a new trilogy and make 3X the box office with the original characters. Sounds like a slam dunk to me. Get a younger cast on the cheap instead of trying to get everyone back, only to pay them a boatload again for barely a month of filming. That's just one of many arguments for it. And you acknowledge that the OT as the corrected timeline does not jive with fixing things. So why the stunt double for Famke? My bet is that the "good" Phoenix returns at some point and it sort of culminates into the redemptive aspects of that character. That's what fans wanted from TLS, and Singer said he thinks the changes will make fans happy. So I don't see the OT being the corrected timeline. Nor do I see them forgetting TLS never happened and DoFP directly follows X2. I don't see how else they dig themselves from this corner.

Last edited by Mr.M; 07-01-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #92
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:

Fox back In 2009 could have rebooted after origins.They made first a prequel that blured line between prequel and reboot.They are coming out with the wolverine set after trilogy and they have more OT cast members In DOFP than first class cast.
you keep saying that like it backs up the OT in some way, they filmed for 3 to 4 weeks with all them cast members and they have filmed more stuff with FC and wolverine and don't finish till august

there will most likely be more character development with FC because of the limited cast, i'm guessing alot of the OT are action cannon fodder

personally i don't think they will reboot either but come on the amount of cast matters very little

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-01-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #93
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The point Is if the OT Is ilrelvent why bring back so many of OT cast yet bring back so few of first Class cast.

Based on rumors you could have 10 from OT cast,and yes apart from wolverine the OT cast Is limited,while you only have 4 back from First Class,and If they do as some here have advocated are erase all films except first Class and 1973 part of DOFP the films are stuck In the past.

But again why would fox reboot now and not after last stand or origins?
Studios don't give a rat's ass on giving closure to film series.
Mark Millar called the Wolverine the Iron Man of Fox's shared universe of X-Men and FF films.That film as new featurette makes clear takes place after Last Stand.Kinda hard for them to do that If DOFP erases the Wolverine from exsistance.

My theory always has been when Singer mentioned correcting some things he Is mentioning some of things that went down with the Last stand.Report of famke Janssen stunt double throws a monkey wrench Into assuminations.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #94
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Because it gives you multiple options. If this movie bombs or is dissappointing, yet it corrects the timeline/provides an alternate one, you can wait 5-7 years and restart right before the rights revert to Disney and recast for a brand new trilogy. If the movie makes a billion, you can use whatever you established in this new timeline and pick up after the future events with an Age of Apocalypse story. The time between 1973 and the OT is simply dead time that may or may not be filled in, but I expect DoFP to provide just enough answers such that we can fill those blanks ourselves, even in an alternate timeline.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #95
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I don't think fox will wanna wait 5 years to reboot, comic book movies are hot right now

Old 07-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #96
martindp1
Side-Kick

There filming for the 2nd & the 3rd back in Montreal. Hopefully we get pics

Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #97
Angamb
Banned User

good to know

Old 07-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #98
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Days of future past comes out In 2014 and using the daredevil/FF model It
would be at least 2021 till rights would revert to Marvel If fox did nothing.

What makes anyone think for 1 second If DOFP Is a sucess they won't be jumping on a followup especilly since LSH donner back In 2011 made mention of X4/X5.

Your kinda assuming the wolverine and DOFP to fail.

Studios don't care about closing book on series.That has been proven time and time again since the reboot craze hit hollywood.

Spending anytime correcting things makes little sense If they aren't using that to continue the series.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #99
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Days of future past comes out In 2014 and using the daredevil/FF model It
would be at least 2021 till rights would revert to Marvel If fox did nothing.

What makes anyone think for 1 second If DOFP Is a sucess they won't be jumping on a followup especilly since LSH donner back In 2011 made mention of X4/X5.

Your kinda assuming the wolverine and DOFP to fail.

Studios don't care about closing book on series.That has been proven time and time again since the reboot craze hit hollywood.

Spending anytime correcting things makes little sense If they aren't using that to continue the series.
Seeing as DOFP was part written by Vaughn and singer its safe to assume its a new script, now an X4 would be a new script also and not the one from 2011 because they probably didnt count DOFP ever being made in that script so I doubt they would have suddenly had cyclops and jean back in the 2011 script

I think its safe to say them scripts either wont be used at all or it may end up like the magneto script, bits and pieces taken out and used in a new script

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-01-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #100
Angamb
Banned User

Im sure DOFP was part of Singer and Lauren's plan since day one.

maybe not for exactly for X4, but with FC treatment, I really think Singer and Lauren discussed the possibility to adapt this storyline, so this combining casts factor could come from early discussions, even if it was announced last year.

Closed Thread