The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Do you believe the film is going to be too big?
Yes, too many characters and settings 5 26.32%
No, it will be an epic 14 73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #51
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you think this movie is going to be too big?

Tbh, If any of those characters have development in the film I'll be impressed. As of now, I'm not expecting the filmakers to give them attention besides showing their powers But I do think all of them are more then capable of being interesting characters regardless of their popularity.

Last edited by def28; 06-30-2013 at 08:52 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #52
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
If Nightcrawler is still alive in the future timeline he should be fighting alongside the X-Men against the Sentinels in some capacity. His survival and the survival of all mutants depends on their success.

In X3 we can assume that as a holy man he chose to live a more peaceful life rather than that of an X-Man but DOFP is a whole different scenario. If we assume he is idle somewhere else while people are dying...that ruins his legacy.
Eh not at all.

With that logic, you are saying that its okay if we see hundreds of NAMED mutants just because there's a war between mutants and Sentinels.

If he's not gonna get a big or substantial role in the movie, its better to just leave him alone.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #53
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Considering Nightcrawler's White House attack, Lady Deathstrike Vs. Wolverine, Mystique's assault on Stryker's base among others are still talked about among fanboys to this day, I don't get the complaint that Singer can't shoot action.
I'd watch those over modern-day CGI fests any day.

Thing though is that unfortunately big-scale CGI fests is what the audience probably expects from the CBMs these days.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #54
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I'm hoping The Wolverine will still bring the audience out in droves.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #55
DOFP
Side-Kick

X2 was on TV yesterday, I start to like the fight scenes more and more every time i see the films. The wolverine vs LDS was a good fight. She was kicking @$$

DOFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #56
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Considering Nightcrawler's White House attack, Lady Deathstrike Vs. Wolverine, Mystique's assault on Stryker's base among others are still talked about among fanboys to this day, I don't get the complaint that Singer can't shoot action.
Do you just mean fanboys on this particular DOFP forum? I think it's a bit of a stretch to say fanboys are still talking about those sequences today. Maaaaaybe the Nightcrawler attack...

Anyways, I have no doubts about Bryan's abilities to do good action. I like that he is more subtle and doesn't go for 'splosions and the like. HOWEVER, I think he really has missed opportunities to do a good action piece involving the the team together. These are X-Men movies, not some one-on-one Capcom X-Men fighting game.

Ever since the first movie was officially greenlit, I've been waiting for that scene for almost 15 years now. We deserve better than Ratner doing/failing at it haha.

josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #57
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
These are X-Men movies, not some one-on-one Capcom X-Men fighting game.
The X-Men actually looked powerful and really strong in the Capcom videogames.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:31 AM   #58
SilentWarriorZ
men of bats

This is same scenario where they screwed up the X-3 remember having too many unwanted characters and changed backstories and plotholes messed up story .
And this is Future past it will be more complicated this time .

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #59
BMM
Side-Kick

The difference being that, hopefully, mainstays like Mystique aren't sidelined by newcomers like Warpath. That was The Last Stand's problem, not to mention the ridiculous run time. As for the large number of mutants, it doesn't make much sense to have a dystopian future, in which mutants are fighting to survive, without having mutants fighting to survive. Also, while this movie may have time travel, at least it seems to be focused on adapting the Days of Future Past storyline, rather than clumsily interweaving it with another story line, like The Last Stand's Dark Phoenix Saga and Gifted.

Last edited by BMM; 07-02-2013 at 03:05 AM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #60
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWarriorZ View Post
This is same scenario where they screwed up the X-3 remember having too many unwanted characters and changed backstories and plotholes messed up story .
And this is Future past it will be more complicated this time .
The difference here is Bryan Singer. A lot of the useless and character-ruining cameos in X3 were put in by Ratner... even abusing his powers and casting friends (or women he wanted to impress) for roles like Psylocke that shouldn't have been included in the first place.

I posted this in another thread but it's probably more appropriate here...

X3 and Origins did horrible jobs with the cameos in that they pretty much ruined the possibilities for each character in future movies. We have to remember that Bryan wasn't responsible for that trend.

X2 had the following identified characters (that I can recall):

- Xavier, Wolverine, Jean, Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Pyro, Nightcrawler

- Magneto, Mystique, Stryker, Mutant 143/Jason, Deathstrike, Senator Kelly

- Kitty, Jubilee, Siryn, Colossus, Artie, Hank McCoy

Unless I'm leaving anyone out, that's 21 characters. The characters in the last line were cameos, but I remember all of them (except maybe Artie) were announced to the media in much the same way that they're announcing characters in DOFP.

IMO Bryan used all of the characters in X2 in appropriate ways. The mutant kids were chosen and used responsibly and were part of the school, which made sense. Hank was on TV and his association with the X-Men was not mentioned, nor was it excluded. No character was really ruined for future use.

Last edited by josh8; 07-02-2013 at 03:33 AM.
josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #61
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I think they could've used more recognizable X-kids that were kidnapped by Stryker though but that would probably muck up the eventual continuity with the next movies if they chose the wrong mutants.

At least Bryan had the hindsight to NOT include Jubilee's electricity powers.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #62
DOFP
Side-Kick

They should've used Jubilee in DOFP, it would've been cool to see her join the team.

DOFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #63
Rorschach2012
$

I meant to vote No. I'm optimistic. Singer's XMen films were awesome. I hope Cyclops is back. First Class was great too.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #64
TRM
Banned User

I voted no.
But to be honest it could go either way. I think they're aiming big and I'm hoping it all works out.

We still don't know exactly who/what all the characters will fight in the past. As others have said Cyclops will probably be back somehow, and the future scenes will probably be mostly action against Sentinals, but I have a feeling that Magneto/the Brotherhood isn't actually the villain that changes the past. Lots of the story is said to take place in the past, so even if it is Magneto who fights all the past characters it can't be as simple as changing his mind about things.
He wouldn't wanna see the apocalyptic future... Mutants in concentration camps.

i think all the characters can be balanced, but I'm convinced Trask/trask industries must have something up their sleeve. and something else is up. I think young Magneto and future Magneto are both allies, in the sense that they're both against the idea of Sentinals that are designed to hunt down mutants. Magneto might even put his brotherhood on hold in the past (Angel and Riptide aren't there), and if he's able to get the message from his future self not to let to Sentinals come about, it could change things entirely as soon as the time traveler get to the past... Forcing young Magneto to temporarily team up with Xavier again to stop the Sentinals from ever being created.
i don't think Magneto would have any hand in letting that future with mutant concentration camps come about.... And that Young Magneto actually becomes an ally again, temporarily, after Xavier's mind is able to change his mind with a vision of this future... learning the future of mutants, being placed in concentration camps (bringing back memories of his childhood), shakes Magneto to the core. And Sentinals must be stopped at any cost. Even if it means teaming with Xavier again, a human lover. Magneto is able to see that sentinals will turn against humans in the future as well. Even though the humans create Sentinals, he must team with Xavier to stop the sentinals from ever being able to take over everything.

Meaning that someone else has changed time, and that someone is connected to Trask or is Trask himself, or posing as Trask... or working with Trask somehow.
And maybe Magneto wants to actually preserve and change parts of the timeline at the same time... He can start his brotherhood again after the Sentinals are stopped from coming about. And I think Trask has something, or someone up his sleeve.

Magneto might not be able to take all the past characters on alone and we haven't heard much about villains other than Mystique, who has and may help Xavier again, young Mystique would have a connection with young Xavier.
Trask may not be able to take on all the past characters alone unless he has something up his sleeve.
All the characters could be balanced but imo it all depends, and the quality of some of the past parts, depends on what they're hiding about Dinklage's character/Trask's story. And revolves around Trask industries. More than Magneto.
If Xavier or any timetraveler can convince Magneto sentinals are a bad idea, he may join their side in the past.
He may already be leading the charge against the Sentinals in the future.

Last edited by TRM; 07-03-2013 at 03:53 AM.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote