The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #451
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 3

I didn't say anything about it not holding up today. It's a fine game, but it's still a nealry 4 year old one that I'm sure a lot of Gold members have already played. Just a bit less of an exciting release than say ACIII or some other relatively new game.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #452
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113 View Post
Thanks for responding though. Man I just wish Gamestop had some real competition. Once GameCrazy went bankrupt (remember them) there is basically no brick & mortar that force Gamestop to remain at least a bit honest. Le sigh, eBay it is.

Anyway, to go back on topic, which games are you most looking forward to playing on Xbox One - exclusives and non-exclusives.
I'm getting Ryse and Kinect Sports day one. Gonna get Watch Dogs as soon as I beat Ryse. Really looking forward to D4, TitanFall and Quantum Break as far as exclusives go. Will get MGS5, KH3 and The Crew when they release. I'll wait and see when it comes to Witcher 3, DR3 and Mirrors Edge.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #453
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Chaos View Post
I'm getting Ryse and Kinect Sports day one. Gonna get Watch Dogs as soon as I beat Ryse. Really looking forward to D4, TitanFall and Quantum Break as far as exclusives go. Will get MGS5, KH3 and The Crew when they release. I'll wait and see when it comes to Witcher 3, DR3 and Mirrors Edge.
So Ryse will utilize Kinect? I'm interested in checking it out, has the potential to be the Xbox's equivalent of God of War.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #454
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
So Ryse will utilize Kinect?
Ryse was originally a Kinect-only game...

Quote:
has the potential to be the Xbox's equivalent of God of War.
People keep saying this, but...why? Maybe I missed something, but based on the footage they showed at E3 it doesn't look anything like God of War.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #455
Havok83
Side-Kick

It looks nothing like GoW and plays nothing like it. The only thing they share in common is being set in ancient times

Old 07-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #456
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Ryse looks legitimately awful. And from all the gameplay previews from the main gaming sites its a heavily scripted QTE (that the developers refuse to call QTE) game that looks beautiful.

Definitely not the next GoW.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #457
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

From the looks of the SINGLE gameplay trailer out, there seems to be a shield button, attack, counter and then, yes, QTE finishers. That still leaves plenty of combat under your control.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #458
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

One review I read said he literally put the controller on the table and the game still finished off the combat for him. And when he asked why, he was told they don't want the game to frustrate people.

Here it is:

Quote:
Xbox
Why Ryse Is The Most Frustrating Game Of E3

Mark Serrels 13 June 2013 1:00 PM
Share 1453 Discuss 65 Bookmark

I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, **** is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.
I missed it. Damn.
But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic ‘kill’.
What?
Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.
What is going on here?
I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.
“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.
Well it didn’t work. I didn’t work at all because I feel frustrated. I am frustrated because I am being denied the opportunity to be frustrated, denied the frustration that will motivate me to learn the game, to adapt.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #459
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

Good thing we're still 5 months from release. We'll see how it turns out.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #460
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTiger View Post
One review I read said he literally put the controller on the table and the game still finished off the combat for him.

It's like wtf is the point of even playing the game?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 07-04-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #461
Clerk
You Look Plump Today

Honestly, they could've revealed the raddest machine this side of the Power Glove, and I still would've made the switch from Microsoft to Sony. The past few years of Xbox trying to pander to the Kinect crowd while only making Gears/Forza/Halo (especially when Sony is putting out products like Last of US) pretty much made me realized that I was on the wrong horse.

While I don't think there's anything wrong with the Xbox One itself, the mentality behind it has me switching machines. Which is a bummer, cause I bought the original Xbox on day one, but it feels like Microsoft is treating gamers like the lepers necessary to do business with so that they can push TV later on.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #462
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

That just doesn't seem like a feature that will stick. QTE without consequence makes the whole thing pointless. I'd be very disappointed if it stays that way.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #463
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTiger View Post
One review I read said he literally put the controller on the table and the game still finished off the combat for him. And when he asked why, he was told they don't want the game to frustrate people.

Here it is:
Oh, this can't be right. What's the point of even having the QTEs then, why not just make it an animation.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #464
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.
*sigh*

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #465
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clerk View Post
Honestly, they could've revealed the raddest machine this side of the Power Glove, and I still would've made the switch from Microsoft to Sony. The past few years of Xbox trying to pander to the Kinect crowd while only making Gears/Forza/Halo (especially when Sony is putting out products like Last of US) pretty much made me realized that I was on the wrong horse.

While I don't think there's anything wrong with the Xbox One itself, the mentality behind it has me switching machines. Which is a bummer, cause I bought the original Xbox on day one, but it feels like Microsoft is treating gamers like the lepers necessary to do business with so that they can push TV later on.
Can understand that. They definitely dropped the ball in the 2nd half of this generation for new exclusive games after a great start, while Sony released great new games every year and kept strengthening their lineup. I think they are trying to redress that during the early part of the XB1 but time will tell.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #466
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Can't open the link but read about this elsewhere. I hope it works like they say as it's something I've always wanted. The 360 reputation system is not taken seriously by unsporting players. But if this works, a few years down the line when the true *******s are all playing against each other I want to create a bad account just to see how crazy those matches get. Everyone in the game modding, glitching, teabagging. screaming abuse & not being able to cheat enough to win against better cheaters lol.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #467
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Whoops, I bungled the link. Here 'tis - http://www.oxm.co.uk/57505/features/...system/?page=2

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 07-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #468
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Can understand that. They definitely dropped the ball in the 2nd half of this generation for new exclusive games after a great start, while Sony released great new games every year and kept strengthening their lineup. I think they are trying to redress that during the early part of the XB1 but time will tell.
It was a big mistake for Microsoft to not lock up Bioware for exclusives (at least Mass Effect exclusives). While yes the 2nd half of the 360s lifespan was pretty poor in terms of exclusive games I don't think PS3s lineup is that spectacular either. Apart from the Uncharted games nothing really appealed to me.

To me it actually sounds like Microsoft has heard people and is trying hard to have a lot of great exclusive games for the One. Just look at TitanFall, Quantum Break, The Crew, Ryse (whatever your initial impressions are I think it has a ton of potential).

I don't spend a ton of time gaming anymore, but I suspect I'll be spending a lot of time using my Xbox One, especially for BF4 and Titanfall.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #469
Clerk
You Look Plump Today

Quote:
It was a big mistake for Microsoft to not lock up Bioware for exclusives (at least Mass Effect exclusives). While yes the 2nd half of the 360s lifespan was pretty poor in terms of exclusive games I don't think PS3s lineup is that spectacular either. Apart from the Uncharted games nothing really appealed to me.
I think the thing about Sony was that they were at least funding some AAA and indie experiences that pushed what video games could do. Whether you enjoyed titles like Journey, Last of Us, Heavy Rain is obviously subjective, but I was happy with how they tried to do more than "marines shoot stuff."

Quote:
To me it actually sounds like Microsoft has heard people and is trying hard to have a lot of great exclusive games for the One. Just look at TitanFall, Quantum Break, The Crew, Ryse (whatever your initial impressions are I think it has a ton of potential).

I don't spend a ton of time gaming anymore, but I suspect I'll be spending a lot of time using my Xbox One, especially for BF4 and Titanfall.
If TitanFall and The Crew were only Xbox One, I would be mad conflicted about my purchase, but with those getting PC and PS4 ports respectively, Quantum Break is the only one that looks interesting to me at least- I will agree that Microsoft isnt funding a typical marine shooter right there, so perhaps they are hearing the people in terms of exclusives. Ryse has potential with Crytek being behind it, so hopefully that turns out better than the QTE-fest we saw at E3.

But like ultimately, it just depends on your personal preferences. If Master Chief and Marcus tickle your fancy more than Kratos and Nathan Drake, then let the good times roll! Should be a great generation.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #470
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Apparently my rating as a player is down pretty bad lol. Thats what I get when I have 5 people playing on it. How bad does it have to be until you get banned?

Old 07-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #471
Donut
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

The XBOX One will be at Comic Con

Last edited by Donut; 07-09-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #472
zenith16
Side-Kick

I'm not sure if this is real but this was put up

UPDATE: Microsoft Responds to NSA Surveillance Reports

2 hours 34 minutes ago - Following a report revealing its collaboration with the NSA, Microsoft has issued a statement regarding its privacy practices. Read More

source: IGN & GI

Last edited by zenith16; 07-12-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #473
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Its real. They have to cooperate with national security concerns.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #474
zenith16
Side-Kick

Old 07-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #475
Side-Kick

Just an update on my 360 trade-in/ebaying adventure in case anyone cared. Maybe my info well help others who are going to try and sell their 360s to buy an Xbox One.

So I ended up selling my 360 Slim + my RROD 360 (I was honest on the listing that it was completely bricked) + both controllers + 17 games for $200, $240 if you include shipping.

Initially I had listed everything for $250 going on the theory that it's always best to start high, even unrealistically so. When it didn't sell at that starting bid, I dropped it to $199 and it sold.

Basically, my advice to anyone who was in my previous dilemma of whether to trade-in to Amazon/Gamestop/Best Buy or try to sell on the open market is to go the eBay route. I suspect if I had just included the 360 Slim + 17 games I could have gotten $150 for it, which is worlds better than the trade ins I was getting from Amazon.

After all that, and after already putting down $150 on my Day-One pre-order, come release date I'll only be handing over ~$100 bucks. Psychologically that's an easier pill to swallow

Really excited for Xbox One!

Closed Thread