The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #76
PsyJ
Side-Kick

Default Re: What was wrong with the current trilogy?

I think that the non-Wolverine characters in the 90's cartoon, still managed to be more memorable and interesting than their movieverse counterparts and that's why people remember the show as being more "balanced" and less Wolverine-centric than it really was.

PsyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #77
ray tang
New User - Level 0

Hey guys, I am brand new to these forums, but I've decided to write a report up on X-Men for University and hopefully your contributions can help me. (Mainly the first film with Singer, 2000). If any of you guys can help discuss what you personally thought of the film X-Men, (Singer, 2000), then I'd appreciate it massively. Alternatively, you guys can also help fill out a survey I have written related to the X-Men franchise on this site:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FCPMM3K

I will also create a new thread relating to this too, but hopefully this will get the ball rolling. Thanks in advance.

Ray

ray tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #78
Rylvan
Side-Kick

If I had to pick just one thing wrong with the trilogy, it would be X3.

Not the "non-canonical timeline" of the movie series, not the casting, not even interference from the studio really, just X3.

Last edited by Rylvan; 03-14-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Rylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #79
dmadcat
Newbie First Class

I liked the first few scenes in the first movie where Wolverine was fighting in a bar (which even made me forgive what they had already done to Rogue by that point).

The rest was garbage.

Moment I knew it was in trouble: Wolverine is sent through the windshield of his truck and is actually knocked unconscious and staggers to his feet confused.

The real Wolvie wouldn't have been fazed and would have smelled Sabretooth well before he got ambushed and one-shot KO'd (for the second time in the scene), this time long enough to be rescued and taken back to the Manor. And it just went downhill from there.

That is the X-Men movies in a nutshell. Change or ignore characters just to push the movies along. Had the actual plot been even remotely interesting I might've forgiven it but in none of the movies did the end ever justify the means. Horribly written and horribly realized.

dmadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #80
SchumacherFan
Banned User

I didn't care for any of the five x-men franchise films... I loved avengers (thor, cap, iron man) , loved Spider-Man films, but X-Men (which was my fav comic of them all) was poorly done, imo...

You could blame too many characters to juggle, but Singer tried to make Wolverine the star of the trilogy instead of focus on an ensemble movie which is what the roots of the story is. Instead, Singer tried to make a Wolverine story where it would be much more fun if it was about the team, like Expendables with focus on the leader (Xaiver) like Stallone was the leader of them...

The movies just didn't work for me. I grew up loving the cartoon. The big main problems are too many characters, too much Wolverine and not enough everyone else. . . Main villains are henchmen, which is lame. Mis-cast of Anna Paquin as Rogue, Halle Berry as Storm.... The movies were nothing new to the audience in terms of an action adventure sci fi movie. We've seen that before. Poorly executed, imo.

SchumacherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #81
chris_tyne
New User - Level 0

Hi everyone, first of all, I've had a good search around and wasn't able to find a more appropriate thread for what I'm about to ask. If this is in the wrong place, then I apologise! But there's a lot of questions I feel need answered when it comes to the X-Men movies.

Firstly, as you can see I'm new here. So hi everyone! The name's Chris, and I'm from Newcastle, UK .

Basically, over the last few days, I decided to watch all of the current X-Men movies in order, starting with First Class, and ending with Last stand. I appreciate what I'm about to ask us likely to have been brought up on here on many occasions, so I apologise if this is the case.

Emma Frost: Is Kayla's sister (Emma) in Origins of Wolverine, Emma Frost?

Xavier: He lost the use of his legs in First Class on the beach at the end as a young man, yet was able to walk at the end of Origins of Wolverine (set after First Class) AND in a flashback on Last stand, both times hairless. While i'm talking about First Class, isn't Cyclops' brother supposed to be younger than him, yet was one of the main mutants on First Class?

These may be small things and people may think I'm nitpicking here. I also know First Class has been regarded by many as a reboot, yet Hugh Jackman makes a cameo appearance as Wolverine from the original series. Are we supposed to disregard Last Stand and The Origins of Wolverine and pretend they never happened?

There's too may small things in all of the movies likes the above that contradict each other.

I hope somebody can shed some light on the above. Again, I apologise if what I have asked has been covered elsewhere in detail.

Cheers.

chris_tyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #82
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The filmmakers of first class kinda reconned It that Silverfox's siter In Origins Isn't Emma Frost.Now the bluray mutant tractor special feature has alternate explantion of Emma frost uses her telephatc powers to make people think of her as a teenager on mission for Magneto.It also tries to explain away the walking Xavier In origins and The Last Stand as
telephatic projection.

Havok Is like the ultimate version.There he was the older brother of Cyclops.In film series Havok Is eather older brother or some kind of other relative of Cyclops.

First Class Is not a reboot.Origins Is pretty much accepted to be Ignored by the teams of First Class plus upcoming the Wolverine and planned Deadpool film.

With the Last Stand It gets tricker.Some have long speculated that First Class should be seen as prequel to Just X-Men and X2.Comments from The Wolverine Director James
Mangold suggest The Last Stand remains In official film cannon but Bryan Singer directing Days of future Past can suggest First Class being prequel to Just X-Men and X2
remains a possibilty.

So my advice Is view First Class,X-Men,and X2 defently connected to each other.Ignore Origins.The Last Stand Is question mark.It may or may not be In Cannon with First Class,
X-Men,and X2.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #83
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog1 View Post
I certainly agree with that Cyclops complaint. I know why it happened (Marsden jumping ship leaving few shooting days on X3) but that doesn't make it any easier. Also, setting up Colossus beautifully in X2 but to waste him in X3 (with worse CG looking powers)was a shame. Beast looked great and was perfectly cast but essentially wasted as well. I liked X3 but it did feel a bit rushed. A masterful film like X2 was going to be tough to follow anyway but circumstances made it harder on everyone.

Complaints aside, the X-Trilogy honestly stacks up with any movie trilogy in history. (Spidey, Indy, Rocky, Bourne, Star Wars, etc.) X3 lost some steam for the franchise but still found enough to finish it properly. It was more money concerns that led to spin off films instead of shooting an X4.
Agreed on the Cyclops and Colossus comments.

The worst part about the entire franchise is that they've taken a team franchise (comics and cartoons) and made it focus all three films on one main character (Wolverine). I can understand with the first film the audience needs someone to relate to as a point of entry in this world but after that they continued to minimize the rest of the cast to small supporting roles. Additionally they removed most if not all of the fantastical elements of the franchise. It stripped it of some of the more exaggerated villains like Apocalypse, Sinister, the Savage Land, etc.

In a post Marvel Universe industry the standards have been set pretty high for comic based films. We have learned to accept and even expect large epic battles and spectacle. Also Avengers showed us how to balance a team movie amongst an ensemble cast without minimizing anyone. Avengers actually felt like a team, X-men was always the Wolverine show.

I think that's ultimately the failure of the franchise. First Class gave a glimmer of hope by focusing on other main characters and leaving Wolverine out, thank goodness. But now with Singer back it looks it will be more of the same. This franchise will have to work some real magic if expects to be anything like the Marvel U.

It is past time for a complete reboot of this franchise and I think it's a real mistake to continue it as is. Batman has been rebooted, Spider-man has been rebooted, Superman has been rebooted, I'm sorry but X-men and Wolverine are not above being rebooted. A change in look, tone, and actors may actually spark some genuine interest in this franchise. But more of the same? What's the point.

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #84
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post

In a post Marvel Universe industry the standards have been set pretty high for comic based films. We have learned to accept and even expect large epic battles and spectacle. Also Avengers showed us how to balance a team movie amongst an ensemble cast without minimizing anyone. Avengers actually felt like a team, X-men was always the Wolverine show.

It is past time for a complete reboot of this franchise and I think it's a real mistake to continue it as is. Batman has been rebooted, Spider-man has been rebooted, Superman has been rebooted, I'm sorry but X-men and Wolverine are not above being rebooted. A change in look, tone, and actors may actually spark some genuine interest in this franchise. But more of the same? What's the point.
I think Last Stand's final battle was a huge step in "large epic battles and spectacle". The was the first time we saw the X-Men (and comic heroes in general) engage in a 6 on 100+ battle. And seeing Phoenix obliterate Alcatraz Island along with 100s of mutants and American soldiers was the first "comic book" scene we saw in comic films.

And I do agree, even though I am anxiously anticipating Days of Future Past, I will be more than happy if/when Marvel finally retains the rights to my favorite characters in comics and reboots the X-Men franchise.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #85
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

You shouldn't be expecting Disney to get X-Men anytime soon.

When the day happens for a reboot It will be at Fox.

And Iron Man 3 Is exhibt A why I don't have much faith In Disney

Exhibt B Is there would be too much ultimate influence for my take.In a lot of ways The Avengers was the ultimates with Avengers title.Let's see If sequel changes that.

Exhibt C Is Man of steel reinforces my disliking of reboots once again

Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #86
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

LOL @ you continuously bringing up the other superhero movies when you defend the X-Men film series.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #87
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
And Iron Man 3 Is exhibt A why I don't have much faith In Disney
Let me introduce you to exhibit A,B,C,D and E on why I don't have much faith in Fox..... they are called Elektra, FF, FF2, X3 and XMOW. IM3 kicks the living **** out of all those. How you can still have faith with Fox but one Marvel film makes you lose hope is beyond me. Even though Fox has ****ed over a majority of Fan favs and movies I still have hope and try to support them getting back on track.

But if your using both companies past Marvel films to judge were X-Men should be then Disney is by far the better option. Fox has a very high percentage of bad comic films.

Last edited by def28; 07-05-2013 at 05:23 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #88
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

But still FOX's best comic films are better than most of MCU's films.

Iron Man/The Avengers are the only films that got a higher rating than FC/X1/X2 in Rotten Tomatoes.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #89
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Well two of MArvel films got the best ratings if you wanna go that route. So they win by default with that logic with decent ratings for Cap and crew to spare. I'm talking about bad films. I don't give a **** if someone prefers IM, Avengers, X2 or FC. Those are well made films and thats that. Elektra, FF, FF2, X3 and XMOW are crap. Marvel has never went that low. Or said "**** the fans we have their money". I don't care how you break it down thats a horrible record and makes Disney's IM3 look like the Gone with The Wind of Superhero films.

Last edited by def28; 07-05-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #90
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Do you really have to use those asterisks to prove your point?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #91
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Do you really have to use those asterisks to prove your point?
On one I did cause it was a quote.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #92
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

the biggest problem with this franchise that a lot of the characters were "water" down. The only characters to have development overall were Wolverine, Magneto and Prof. X. the others were just there, or may gotten a little story (Rogue, Bobby,Jean).

The movies never shown the X-Men as a family, nor the team interact w/one another, we never saw a Jean/Rogue, Scott/Rogue, or Storm with anyone, etc some of the best character interaction scenes were in X1. One of the reasons the Avengers were worked so well because that team dynamic was present, it showed them argue, crack jokes, struggle/bond to become a team. The X-men didn't have that chemistry, and I partially think turning a few of the characters into "teens" didn't work when you have several "older" X-Men. It felt the older X-Men were handling business while the teens were tangled in "high school" drama.

The X-men world is huge! So many villians, so many mutants, it should have been cameo haven! I'd love to see a F.O.H protest, Anti-Mutant posters w/Craydon Creed pictured on them,a morlock running into the sewers. It's these little things that make movie have more depth, awareness and give a nod to the fans.

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #93
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is a total non-argument. Marvel's best comic films are better than most of FOX's too.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #94
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Well I don't think The Avengers/Iron Man 1 are better than X2 and First Class.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #95
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well I don't think The Avengers/Iron Man 1 are better than X2 and First Class.
But do you think they are better than daredevil, f4, F42, Elektra, x3, origins? Lol

X2 and first class are the best fox has to offer anyway. They are better or equal to ironman and the avengers, but I do prefer Captain America, Thor, or even iron man 2 any day of the week next to fantastic four, blah...

I do love daredevil though, origins is a guilty pleasure and I can watch F42. But the rest, meh.

TWayneP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #96
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWayneP View Post
But do you think they are better than daredevil, f4, F42, Elektra, x3, origins?
Of course they are.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #97
Roguefan
Side-Kick

I'm not a big fan of Joss Whedon or the Avengers, to be honest. I kinda like Thor though, I think it may be the mythology as well as Hemsworth and Portman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Flare View Post
The movies never shown the X-Men as a family, nor the team interact w/one another, we never saw a Jean/Rogue, Scott/Rogue, or Storm with anyone, etc some of the best character interaction scenes were in X1. One of the reasons the Avengers were worked so well because that team dynamic was present, it showed them argue, crack jokes, struggle/bond to become a team. The X-men didn't have that chemistry, and I partially think turning a few of the characters into "teens" didn't work when you have several "older" X-Men. It felt the older X-Men were handling business while the teens were tangled in "high school" drama.
I read somewhere once that Bryan Singer intended for X1 to be a character introduction and for X2 to be more of a thrill ride. His reasoning was that once the team had been developed in X1, X2 wouldn't need to address it as much.

IMO, the X2 ending hinted that Bryan was going to address character development and interaction in X3 (what with the X3 plans to have Cyke build the first Danger Room and become a central focus of the film as a leader, Rogue and Iceman joining the team, everyone being brought together by Jean's death... character interaction in X3 was probably going to be prominent).

Roguefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #98
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

And Colossus would have more role.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #99
Fans of Reilly
Side-Kick

One of the reasons I'm angry Bryan Singer. took James Marsden with him to Superman Returns he did not Even gives Marsden that good of role if he must take him from the x-men series At least make him Superman

Fans of Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #100
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

He should have stayed with the X-Men during those times.