The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 07-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #326
StarLord
Believe.

Default Re: What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
Yes, TDKR also was to show how vulnerable Bruce is. Anyways, didn't they cover 'how vulnerable Tony is' in IM2, when he was dying?
Well this was a whole new vulnerable. He was clearly shown to be struggling with a lot of things and he was having panic attacks but he was still trying to be the hero.

Going back to the screen time issue in the suit, Tony was in the suit for 18 minutes in IM3 and Bruce Wayne in the Batman suit for 21 minutes.

That's hardly a massive difference.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #327
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Whiplash* View Post
Well this was a whole new vulnerable. He was clearly shown to be struggling with a lot of things and he was having panic attacks but he was still trying to be the hero.

Going back to the screen time issue in the suit, Tony was in the suit for 18 minutes in IM3 and Bruce Wayne in the Batman suit for 21 minutes.

He just likes to continue complaining about a movie he supposedly doesn't care for. He's a Batman & MoS fan/troll anyways.

Webfoot Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #328
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
The panic attacks were one of the things I liked.

But I miss in both IM2 and IM3 some emphasis in the things he can do, not just what he can't.

Quote:

Well, I never said it was massive, just that it was more. Still, I'[m sure that you counted an empty suit as Iron Man too.

But again, Batman not only appeared to be easily defeated in TDKR. Or to send his suit to do the job for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
He just likes to continue complaining about a movie he supposedly doesn't care for. He's a Batman & MoS fan/troll anyways.
Oh no, they're onto me! Saying what I didn't like about the movie in a thread about what you didn't like about the movie.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #329
StarLord
Believe.

I think we can debate about this forever.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #330
WebHeadedMenace

The Mandarin.......I mean they ruined him which annoyed me but the done it in a funny way so I can sort of forgive them. :/

WebHeadedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #331
PROLIFIK1
^

For me, it was the whole take on the Mandarin. Hyped him up before the movie had come out as a menacing character. An utter disappoint. They could of utilized him and the Ten Rings a bit more successfully.

PROLIFIK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #332
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

yeah, the mandarin and the lack of Iron Man. Other than that, I enjoyed it

NiteMare Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #333
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

I think if the Mandarin thing was executed better, less people would have a problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #334
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
I think if the Mandarin thing was executed better, less people would have a problem with it.
This is true. If the real Mandarin had been made as compelling as the fake, I would've really loved the movie.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #335
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
This is true. If the real Mandarin had been made as compelling as the fake, I would've really loved the movie.
This. I think the twist was unique and pretty smart. But at the end of the day I didn't find Killian as interesting as video Mandarin.

Quote:
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #336
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

A lot of things here is my rant. (Sorry for those who liked it)
The tone was off, it's a family friendly Christmas comedy...
There are so many jokes in the film and it felt like a buddy cop film. They overkill it and destroys most of the serious moments. Humour is subjective but there are jokes about Dora the Explorer and Downdown Abby, is that the target audience? Little Iron Man is in this film and doesn't explore Stark's character that well. Extermis was ok but they missed an opportunity to use it with the Iron Man armour. The kid was annoying and on to the the big F*** up. The Mandarin
While he was a D lister the way they handled him makes Venom in Spider-Man 3 look like Ledger's Joker... Seriously
3 1/2 out of 10. Only MS film I out right hated.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #337
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
There are so many jokes in the film and it felt like a buddy cop film. They overkill it and destroys most of the serious moments. Humour is subjective but there are jokes about Dora the Explorer and Downdown Abby, is that the target audience? Little Iron Man is in this film and doesn't explore Stark's character that well. Extermis was ok but they missed an opportunity to use it with the Iron Man armour. The kid was annoying and on to the the big F*** up. The Mandarin
While he was a D lister the way they handled him makes Venom in Spider-Man 3 look like Ledger's Joker... Seriously
Too far.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #338
Ajendo
Side-Kick

IM3 felt like a brilliantly made mediocre film; like mediocre was their end goal and the aced it. Too many people wearing the IM suit for starters, the Mandarin was just......urgh and they should have cut back on the humour and have the movie play out a bit more straight. The film wasn't horrible, it was just exceedingly average.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #339
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajendo View Post
IM3 felt like a brilliantly made mediocre film; like mediocre was their end goal and the aced it.
I agree with this.

It plays as if it wasn’t made with the same level of care and attention to detail as the previous two as well as The Avengers.
A lot of my main gripes with this movie (besides wanting the Mandarin from the trailer), were the apparent continuity errors between the first two films and this one as well as within the third movie itself. Such as:

Stark doesn’t remember Yinsen in part one, but he suddenly remembers all about “Switzerland..’99” when Happy brings it up. Stark: “Where were we in ’99?” Happy: “Switzerland…definitely Switzerland”

The classic suits in the hall of armor mysteriously explode in sequence for no reason. We know Stark gave the order for them to self-destruct but cutting it out of the movie was a bad move.

Jarvis whines…he is a computer program…he isn’t supposed to emote. “But Sirrrrr!! This was the course I plotted!!!!!!” or something to that effect.

The kids at the restaurant know who Stark is, as one would expect, however the Harley kid knows Iron Man but doesn’t know Stark? This kid is supposed to be pretty brilliant, apparently, but at times he’s quite dumb. “Like a mechanic?” He’s holding a newspaper that references Stark being presumed dead BUT he doesn’t know that Tony is Iron Man? Again, “Like a mechanic?”

Also, I think I was really looking for at least one AC/DC fueled kick-butt moment in the movie. Could have been in the beginning when he told Jarvis to drop his needle (I expected Back In Black or something, not shakey-hips Christmastime),
but instead they made the suit up (and most of the movie dealing with the armor), pretty goofy.

I’ve come to the conclusion that RDJ is Tony Stark, but Jon Favreau is the soul of Iron Man.

giveyourself12% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #340
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post

Agreed. I can forgive what they did to the Mandarin (if you focus on the fact that Killian really was the Mandarin) but the tone destroyed the movie for me. It was silly throughout. Humor is good but it was taken WAY too far in this. Iron Man shouldn't be as dark as the Nolan Batman films but it shouldn't be as goofy as a "Jingle All the Way". Also:
  • Lack of suit time
  • Use of Iron Patriot instead of War Machine (useless and lame change)
  • Tony's bodycount. Killing should be done when absolutely neccessary but should never be done gleefully ("Heal from that!")
  • Weak armor(s)
Love Iron Man. Liked Iron Man II. Hated nearly everything about Iron Man 3. I really wish I could enjoy the film as much as others seem to but Marvel is so much better than this.

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 08-05-2013 at 11:15 AM.
StreetWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #341
Adamantium
Your King

I mentioned this in the Thor thread but it wasn't answered and probably for the better. When Pepper blasted Killian how did she get the arm of the armor? That's what I asked this morning. But just now as I started to type I instantly remembered she flipped one of the suits right before that and must have slid her arm into it quickly.

What a idiot I am. Why did I keep forgetting that? I've seen the movie a handful of times and seemed to block that out every time I thought about how that bugged me that she repulor blasted him. Crazy...now everything is okay.

The only thing I could do without is all the sexual rhetoric. Having young kids who love these movies this one was filled with more than I was even comfortable with hearing. But that's my personal preference. I'm looking really forward to seeing the rest of Phase 2 and then reverting back to things in this movie. Since according to Feige we will pick up on things in Ironman 3 that we didn't know to pick up on until after watching the rest of Phase 2.

Last edited by Adamantium; 08-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #342
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
I'm looking really forward to seeing the rest of Phase 2 and then reverting back to things in this movie. Since according to Feige we will pick up on things in Ironman 3 that we didn't know to pick up on until after watching the rest of Phase 2.
I could be wrong but I think the only thing we'll be looking back at is the map of the universe that's in Killian's mind.

I actually keep hoping that IM3 will end up being one of Stark's nightmares that he's talking to Banner about.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #343
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

As much as I didn't like the Mandarin twist at first, it's grown on me a little more. I would still have preferred the version we were shown in the trailer. But I've accepted the Killian version a little better now.

That leaves me with two complaints:

1) The PTSD thing. It was great that they attempted to give the character another obstacle to overcome, especially from within. But he didn't seem to struggle much with it and he got over it pretty easily. He was joking about it half the time, even when he would have his "panic attacks," and all it took was for the kid telling him to build something to get over it. That wasn't too much conflict IMO.

and 2) Speaking of a lack of conflict, the Air Force One rescue was the most overrated scene in the MCU so far IMO. The fact that Stark was controlling to suit from another location with his headpiece (that I don't remember him having leading up to that, someone correct me if I'm wrong there) took away any threat to him whatsoever. They turned it from a man in a suit to a man with a remote control car. Stark was never in real danger in that scene. He had nothing at stake aside from rescuing the people on the plane. It just ruined it for me.

TheHeatKitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #344
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Everything

Old 08-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #345
guitarking
Side-Kick

1.The Mandarin twist
2.Tony's tech malfunctioning more often than working
3.The Extremis were cheesy CW channel type villains
4.The scenes with the kid
5.Too much remote operation of the suit
6.Pepper's predictably fake death
7.Tony's lack of reaction after losing the woman he loves
8.PTSD anxiety went on too long
9.Kingsley stumbling around for comic relief was cringeworthy
10.The quick fix heart operation for Tony
11.The quick fix Extremis removal for Pepper
12.Tony foolishly giving his address to terrorists and everyone else
13.Fake Iron Patriot easily getting past Secret Service
14.No use of great rock songs

guitarking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #346
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarking View Post
1.The Mandarin twist
2.Tony's tech malfunctioning more often than working
3.The Extremis were cheesy CW channel type villains
4.The scenes with the kid
5.Too much remote operation of the suit
6.Pepper's predictably fake death
7.Tony's lack of reaction after losing the woman he loves
8.PTSD anxiety went on too long
9.Kingsley stumbling around for comic relief was cringeworthy
10.The quick fix heart operation for Tony
11.The quick fix Extremis removal for Pepper
12.Tony foolishly giving his address to terrorists and everyone else
13.Fake Iron Patriot easily getting past Secret Service
14.No use of great rock songs
Don't forget Iron Patriot being disabled by an Extremis-powered handshake.

I kind of head-canon that since AIM did the rebrand job on War Machine MK II, they somehow programed the suit to shut down in the event of experiencing localized extreme temperature.

Also, I really think the complaints of no AC/DC have merit besides the fact that they emotionally cue the audience to feel that Stark is kicking butt/being the rockstar super hero that he is. It's that it's so recognizable now as an IM thing...and it's kind of like Jaws without DUH-DUH, DUH-DUH, DUH-DUH or Star Wars without the Force Theme.

All the above would still be great films. but they wouldn't be as perfect as they are without the aforementioned music.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #347
Loki882
Side-Kick

I didn't mind the lack or armor. It's like people complaining about "not enough" Batman in TDKR. That was a Bruce Wayne movie, and he was the focus, so it was a Batman movie, regardless of whether he was in the suit or not. IM 3 was the same way, Tony Stark is IM, he was the focus of the movie, so it IS an IM movie, regardless of if he's in the armor or not. The malfunctioning suits were also fine, he was obsessed and losing it after what happened in TA, so the newer suits were of poorer quality, that's a reasonable explanation. As for dislikes, there was too much comedy that killed to tension of scenes that should have been serious and dramatic. I'm still trying to understand what Maya's motives were. Was Killain connected to the Ten Rings at all, or was he just using the symbolism? The lack of SHIELD was puzzling, since they seemed to be interested in going after the Ten Rings in IM 1. There were other inconsistencies like that that were annoying. Tony mentioning off-hand that he fixed Pepper when Extremis was supposed to be this dangerous threat. Killain forgetting that he can breathe fire when he was face to face with Tony multiple times, etc.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #348
guitarking
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveyourself12% View Post

All the above would still be great films. but they wouldn't be as perfect as they are without the aforementioned music.
Exactly!

guitarking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #349
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

I had an epiphany. Although I don't think it was well executed at all, I get why they blew up his home, suits, and had him toss the arc reactor.

The end credit montage spells out without saying it that this film could have been the last movie with RDJ as Iron Man. I think the destruction of all of the RDJ-as-Stark's iconic possessions was intentionally a screw you to any future attempts to "James Bond the character".

RDJ, "You might recast, but you won't do it with this house, these suits, or this arc reactor. They belong to me."

A sentiment I agree with, however badly done.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #350
DesignGuru
New User - Level 0

There was so, so much wrong with this film I'm not even sure where to begin.

Lets start at the beginning...
The opening song, Blue. As soon as I heard I wondered if I'd walked into the wrong theater. I HATED this song, it was horribly cheesy but someone obviously thought 'hey, what about that Blue song, that's like todully 90s!!' That was the first alarm bell, that this song had made it into the movie at all.
The opening exchange lacked the chemistry and wit of the previous films (with the 'botanist').
So then we're in the lab, with a cheesy monologue running over the top.
The whole thing with the anthropomorphized robots is that they're incompetent but ultimately try to assist and Tony never treats them with contempt which is why 'dummy? Hi dummy! How did you get that hat on your head? You earned it. Blood on the floor, deal with it' is so out of place and is pretty unlikeable.
Then we get the 'drop my needle' bit where there's some cheesy christmas song to which tony flexes his muscles (cringe worthy) and the parts proceed to fly onto him 'comically' with a smack in the nuts and the faceplate which seems to have a character of it's own and sits there, hovering in mid air like a bull ready to charge "Come on, I aint scared of you". He then does an unnecessary flip to catch the mask, lands in the iconic iron man pose and says 'I'm the best' (at which point I had a bit of puke in my mouth) and then 'comically' gets hit in the butt and the suit shatters on the floor. *hilarious

Now that's the first five minutes and I've got alarm bells going off all over the place. This isn't the driven, focused, multibillionaire, playboy, genius developing a new suit, it is a comedy sketch written for laughs (badly). It is so crude and basic in the points it hits it's like it's written by a child for children. The parts of this incredibly high tech piece of equipment don't have a consciousness or character, it's not a disney broom that's refusing to sweep the floor. It's supposed to be the most advanced piece of weaponry on the planet, the ultimate peace keeper and killing machine.

Now I could do that all the way through the film, it is so woefully wrong that it actually makes me angry. The whole story arc, content, writing, character development, the kid, the drone suits, the pacing, the tone, the twist were all off.

It's a tragic example of what happens when studios get involved. They had complete freedom with the first one and it was amazing, I loved it. The second one had a bit of studio input and it was less good. By the time we get to the third one it's simply an exercise in appealing to as big a demographic as possible and merchandizing opportunities.
Favereau 'got' what iron man was about and created 'epic awesomeness' which is what I look for in a superhero movie. This was a 'made by committee' film and I'm actually pretty heart broken that they ruined it.
There's literally sooo much I could write but I don't want to impose an even bigger wall of text on you guys.

Anyway, that was my first post! Hi!

DG

Last edited by DesignGuru; 08-17-2013 at 04:24 PM.
DesignGuru is offline   Reply With Quote