The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #276
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,913
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread


__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...


Two wrongs just make something more wrong.


Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #277
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,913
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

He's kinda cute in a nerdy way.

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...


Two wrongs just make something more wrong.


Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #278
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump
 
JJJ's Ulcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The pit of J Jonah Jameson's stomach.
Posts: 11,178
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
So you're saying people forgot about the NSA's broad spying more than if the story was buried weeks ago?

Maybe some newspaper readers and news network addicts but not all of them.

When a news story is buried hardly any widespread discussion continues. That's how powerful media can be.
I'm not saying anything. You said the NSA info is front page news. It's not. Snowden's saga is. Hence, you're wrong. I don't have time to talk in circles with you again.

__________________
Read this before you reply to me:

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #279
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,559
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Somebody should get him a red-and-white-striped shirt, and a matching bobble hat. Oh and a walking stick.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #280
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,945
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Well then, I'll complain. Personally I find the Snowden story to be boring as hell and another sign of our declining, increasingly tabloid-driven media. The fact this circus is getting more attention than Egypt basically collapsing into a failed state is a crime within itself.

EDIT: you guys post way too fast.
Actually I think it would be more troubling if yet another crisis in the Middle East overshadowed the NSA trotting over every American's privacy rights with zero accountability.

Egypt is going back and forth between democracy and dictatorship more often than a tennis match. Here in America the very values our country was founded on are being tested and it will definitely set the course of our nation for the forseeable future. Thos is not your average test for public sentiments.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #281
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,559
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

After 9/11, I really don't know how much good it will do. Most Americans seem to be more than happy with giving up their liberties for the illusion of security.

Sure, they'll say they don't want government intrusion, but then when you ask them if it's okay for the government do this and that to stop terrorism, they'll nod.

As long as they have their bread and circuses, they'll turn a blind eye to their rights being eroded.

I hope that stops at some point, but there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

And it will be a cold day in hell before the courts do something on their own prerogative. At least something to defend civil liberties.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #282
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,945
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
I'm not saying anything. You said the NSA info is front page news. It's not. Snowden's saga is. Hence, you're wrong. I don't have time to talk in circles with you again.
What circles?

I say any news relating to Snowden at the very least subconsciously reminds people why he's a fugitive. Because he leaked info about the NSA.

Of course some news stories will marginalize the NSA's alledged wrong doing but there has to be hundreds of articles discussing pro Snowden support and rallies, many of which occured on Thursday for example.

and nobody is ”wrong”. Unless you read every front page of every newspaper in America for the past 3 weeks, we are clearly in subjective territory.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #283
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,219
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Well, most polls show that Americans are pretty divided on whether he did the right thing or not.

Now, if you think that just getting it out there on the news what he says is happening is a positive thing, then ok. And as polls continue to come out, they show that the movement is toward "He didn't do the right thing...." doesn't look like that more media is helping his case.

I'm fine with him coming out about it, I just think he did it in a very stupid way.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God'… Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #284
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,559
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Well, his choice of allies probably hasn't helped with that. It's hard to defend a guy who goes to Putin for help. And now he's possibly going to Venuezela... another country known for its rich tradition of pro-Americanism and democratic integrity.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #285
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,945
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
After 9/11, I really don't know how much good it will do. Most Americans seem to be more than happy with giving up their liberties for the illusion of security.

Sure, they'll say they don't want government intrusion, but then when you ask them if it's okay for the government do this and that to stop terrorism, they'll nod.

As long as they have their bread and circuses, they'll turn a blind eye to their rights being eroded.

I hope that stops at some point, but there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

And it will be a cold day in hell before the courts do something on their own prerogative. At least something to defend civil liberties.
Actually, if media polls are to be believed, Americans are evenly divided on the domestic spying and civil liberty issues.

So there's hope.

I just wish the half that unconditionally hold civil liberties sacred would form a political party with that sole belief as the unshakeable core.

Outside of that, I don't see how civil liberties can be truly protected.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #286
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,945
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Well, most polls show that Americans are pretty divided on whether he did the right thing or not.

Now, if you think that just getting it out there on the news what he says is happening is a positive thing, then ok. And as polls continue to come out, they show that the movement is toward "He didn't do the right thing...." doesn't look like that more media is helping his case.

I'm fine with him coming out about it, I just think he did it in a very stupid way.
Well less media wouldn't have helped the polls be more supportive.

If anything the question would be ”do you know who Snowden is” instead of ”was he right to expose the NSA”.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #287
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,219
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Well less media wouldn't have helped the polls be more supportive.

If anything the question would be ”do you know who Snowden is” instead of ”was he right to expose the NSA”.
I just think that we would be having a far different conversation, the media would be putting forth a far different story, and public opinion would be very different...had he gone through the proper procedures, SAW THAT NOTHING WAS GOING TO BE DONE (because I believe that nothing would have happened) THEN WITH HIS LAWYER, take it to the media, stay in the country and allow the process to do its thing.

The information would STILL BE OUT THERE, it would STILL BE IN THE NEWS, and people's perception of him would be far different, and his accusations would be seen in a much different light.

IMO....

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God'… Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #288
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,945
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I just think that we would be having a far different conversation, the media would be putting forth a far different story, and public opinion would be very different...had he gone through the proper procedures, SAW THAT NOTHING WAS GOING TO BE DONE (because I believe that nothing would have happened) THEN WITH HIS LAWYER, take it to the media, stay in the country and allow the process to do its thing.

The information would STILL BE OUT THERE, it would STILL BE IN THE NEWS, and people's perception of him would be far different, and his accusations would be seen in a much different light.

IMO....
I think you're being a bit too idealistic about the nature of media.

Fugitive news will stay in the news cycle for weeks or even months. Domestic spying problems won't stay relevant for long unless it involves oral sex in the White House.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #289
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,945
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

I remember when the media gave the Bush admin a free pass in the months leading toward the Iraq invasion.

That woke me up real fast about how independent or progressive the media really was.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #290
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,192
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Nevermind, it's a hoax article. He is still in Russia, not in Venezula.

__________________


Last edited by enterthemadness; 07-07-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Bad intel.
enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #291
Ant-manic
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,019
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
I'm just waiting for the movie.

They've already got Benedict Cumberbatch playing Julian Assange, how far behind can the Edward Snowden movie be?
it'll be that Ben Foster kid.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6RBUsbTQXZ...d-1-726510.jpg

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #292
CGHulk
Green Guy
 
CGHulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,104
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread


__________________
"Great spirits have always experienced violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #293
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump
 
JJJ's Ulcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The pit of J Jonah Jameson's stomach.
Posts: 11,178
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Bill Maher has a point, does he not?

"Whatever country Edward Snowden chooses to live in, shouldn't they have a better police state/human rights record than us? Or, you know, what was the point?"


(And to be fair, I've seen Thundercrack make the same point in this thread as well)

__________________
Read this before you reply to me:

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #294
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,559
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

I'll say this for Maher, I often disagree with him, and he's rather condescending, but at least he's got integrity. He's not a partisan hack.

Snowden's choices make him look like a hypocrite at best, and a traitor at worst.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #295
CGHulk
Green Guy
 
CGHulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,104
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Secret courts,
secret interpretations of secret laws,
extrajudicial drone strike kill lists,
N.D.A.A., holding indefinitely without trial,
PRISM, hoovering everyone's private communications,
un-American.
Did I somehow wake up in Orwell's 1984?

__________________
"Great spirits have always experienced violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #296
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump
 
JJJ's Ulcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The pit of J Jonah Jameson's stomach.
Posts: 11,178
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
Secret courts,
secret interpretations of secret laws,
extrajudicial drone strike kill lists,
N.D.A.A., holding indefinitely without trial,
PRISM, hoovering everyone's private communications,
un-American.
Did I somehow wake up in Orwell's 1984?


"Show us your papers, comrade, or we'll flash-dance you to death!"

__________________
Read this before you reply to me:

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #297
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,219
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Bill Maher has a point, does he not?

"Whatever country Edward Snowden chooses to live in, shouldn't they have a better police state/human rights record than us? Or, you know, what was the point?"


(And to be fair, I've seen Thundercrack make the same point in this thread as well)
Totally agree....

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God'… Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #298
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,945
Default Re: Discussion: Civil Liberties under attack?




MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #299
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,945
Default Re: Discussion: Civil Liberties under attack?


MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #300
Dr. Evil
Gamora
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 38,436
Default Re: The Edward Snowden thread

Why am I not surprised that George Zimmerman is a much bigger deal in the media these days than Snowden?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

__________________
My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.