The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #101
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,875
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Jumping from $750 million to a $1 billion in two years is not that crazy. Batman Begins made $375 million while The Dark Knight made $1 billion. That was an ever bigger jump even if you include the fact that that was a 3-year jump. I'm not saying that TASM2 will automatically make $1 billion. My point is that it is not that crazy of an idea.

You are now jumping to an entirely different topic. Just because you think ASM2 is not going to make a billion at the box office does not mean that the franchise is on the same level as Twilight.

Twilight is a relatively new franchise and is really just a popular fad at the moment. Most of its fans are also women in between the ages of 12 to early 20's. It rarely appeals to people outside of that group (not that there is anything wrong with having something that only appeals to a particular group). You are comparing that with a franchise seen and loved by all age groups that consists of iconic characters that have shaped our culture for decades. Spidey is not just another costumed superhero that came out of the blue. He is literally up there with Batman and Superman when it comes to his iconic image and is loved + known worldwide. He has been around for over 50 years, had had multiple TV shows, games, movies, and the list goes on. He has an entire set of villains and supporting cast members that have become iconic character in the Spider-Man mythos to the general public. On top of being Marvel's poster boy, he has also led Marvel to where it is today. There would be no Marvel without Spider-Man. And like all of the other top superheroes, he will continued to be present in our culture for a long time to come.

The success of Twilight is very puny in comparison to everything Spider-Man has achieved in the past 50 years. To compare Spider-Man to Twilight is just plain stupid IMO.
Yeah... but we're not talking about cultural icons. We are talking about film franchises. You are correct about Twilights limited target range. But taking a holistic viewpoint to write off that franchise in favor of Spidey's relevancy in pop culture isn't a valid comparison. I did mention earlier that a non-Sinister six Spidey wouldn't make a billion in our lifetime (which may very well prove to be inaccurate down the line), but lets look at this Garfield/Webb franchise for now. The fact is, it's got too much working against it. It went back to high school hoping to distance itself from the Raimi series. It targeted the same demo as Twilight flipping the genders and alienated people still fond of the Raimi series. It retreaded lots of ground. The fact is, with the new generation it may bring in, it complete dissuaded much of the older crowd. It's just not going to get those people back in theatres, unless they make it an event movie. ASM2 is in no way, shape, or form an event movie. DoFP IS an event movie if executed correctly.


Last edited by Mr.M; 07-09-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Mr.M is online now  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #102
amazingly atiba
Lets go catch a spider
 
amazingly atiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: chula vista
Posts: 2,030
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

who is DOFP an event movie. and ofcourse its retread ground its an ORIGIN STORY it has too unless they skipped that and either way the GA would have had mixed reactions it had to be done. with TASM 2 there is no retread EVERYTHING IS NEW so of course TASM 2 is going to win DOFP is going to be ridiculous

amazingly atiba is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #103
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Yeah... but we're not talking about cultural icons. We are talking about film franchises. You are correct about Twilights limited target range. But taking a holistic viewpoint to write off that franchise in favor of Spidey's relevancy in pop culture isn't a valid comparison. I did mention earlier that a non-Sinister six Spidey wouldn't make a billion in our lifetime (which may very well prove to be inaccurate down the line), but lets look at this Garfield/Webb franchise for now. The fact is, it's got too much working against it. It went back to high school hoping to distance itself from the Raimi series. It targeted the same demo as Twilight flipping the genders and alienated people still fond of the Raimi series. It retreaded lots of ground. The fact is, with the new generation it may bring in, it complete dissuaded much of the older crowd. It's just not going to get those people back in theatres, unless they make it an event movie. ASM2 is in no way, shape, or form an event movie. DoFP IS an event movie if executed correctly.
Even as a film franchise, Spider-Man still murders Twilight. TASM is the least grossing Spider-Man film to date and it still beat every single Twilight film excluding the very last one. Though if you consider the fact that the last Twilight film had a lot of hype for being the end of the series while TASM had many factors working against it (such as the burden of being a reboot, the burden of being the first Spider-Man film after SM3, coming out in between Avengers and TDKR, etc.), a one-time exception of Twilight outgrossing a Spider-Man film makes sense. And even then, the second part of Breaking Dawn barely beat TASM at the box office.

Having a non-Sinister Six Spider-Man film do a billion is not that crazy of a concept. We technically already had a Spider-Man film that made $1 billion, which was the first Spider-Man film. If you adjust its box office for inflation, it made a billion dollars. But just as you said, we'll look at the current franchise for the sake of argument.

The current franchise doesn't have too much working against it. The first film did but things will be more even now starting with the second film. The only thing it will have somewhat working against it is the Raimi nostalgia and even that will quickly be wearing off much like how the Burton nostalgia wore off with the Nolan Batman films. Plus, the people that are bashing the reboot solely due to it being a reboot have never composed the majority of moviegoers in the first place. Overall, TASM2 doesn't really have too many things working against it. TDK originally had more working against it if you think about it and look at the success it was.

So they targeted the Twilight demo just because they went back to high school? I don't see the connection there. That sounds like more Raimi fanboy logic to me. The reason Twilight is discarded by a lot of the older generations is not due to the high school setting but due to the ridiculous melodrama, poor writing and stereotypical portrayals of teenagers (at least emotionally speaking). Many franchises with high school settings can and have been successful with a variety of different audiences and age groups simply because they took themselves seriously and did not treat their viewers like idiots, which is what Twilight does.

I also love how you seem to think that the idea of bringing Peter back to high school has something to do with Twilight. It doesn't. It is simply staying true to the story of Spider-Man. Peter originally became Spider-Man while in high school and his high school years and just as important to his character as his college years. Sony has come out and said that one of the reasons they decided to reboot was because they believed they grew up Peter Parker too fast over the course of 3 films. That is why they are now taking their time with things and not skipping over anything important in Peter's life. Even if you were right (which I don't think you are), we already know that Peter will graduate from high school in ASM2. He won't be in high school for the whole film and won't be in high school at all in future sequels.

It only retreaded lots of ground in the first film by redoing the origin. This won't be the case anymore starting with TASM 2. Multiple people have already told you this though. I also don't see how they alienated so many people as you claim they did. For the most part, the film got positive acclaim. Most of the general audience loved it and it even has an 81% score from the general audience on RT, which is the same score Spider-Man 2 got. The only people that it alienated were the Raimi fanboys upset that the Raimi franchise isn't being continued, but those people are in fact a minority. They're just a very loud minority, giving the impression that there are more of them than there really are.

The theory that it can only break box office records by being an event film is entirely your own theory. I see nothing to show that that has to be the case. TDK was your standard Batman vs. Joker story and easily made $1 billion.

Shikamaru is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #104
SpideyFan866
Hero Support
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,319
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
The one thing that will hurt TASM2 is that I don't think the first one has exactly built a bigger fan base since it went to cable. People still seem basically uninterested in the film and attached to the Raimi films.

Also, Electro and Rhino aren't exactly the most visually stimulating villains for a trailer. Doc Ock/Venom/A proper Green Goblin are the ones that a General Audience would respond to I think. A guy who shoots electricity who looks like Powder, and Paul Giamatti in a funny suit, well I fear it will come off as fairly silly.

Hell, the little thing I read about Jamie Foxx creating a little "nursury rhyme" to say during a fight with Spidey, a riff on "Itsy-Bitsy-Spider" sounds like something they will play at the end of a trailer. And that just sounded so awful, and silly, and Batman and Robin esque.

I hope the color scheme for the movie isn't as damn dark as the last one was. Spidey should exist in a slightly brighter world than TASM showed us. The movie needs to seem more fun than the last one.

Still think it will do the best of the other comic films, though I do think a properly marketed X-Men: Days of Future Past movie could be HUGE. But I don't think TASM2 will be an all-timer...

Everything you just said... is wrong.

SpideyFan866 is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #105
amazingly atiba
Lets go catch a spider
 
amazingly atiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: chula vista
Posts: 2,030
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru View Post
even as a film franchise, spider-man still murders twilight. Tasm is the least grossing spider-man film to date and it still beat every single twilight film excluding the very last one. Though if you consider the fact that the last twilight film had a lot of hype for being the end of the series while tasm had many factors working against it (such as the burden of being a reboot, the burden of being the first spider-man film after sm3, coming out in between avengers and tdkr, etc.), a one-time exception of twilight outgrossing a spider-man film makes sense. And even then, the second part of breaking dawn barely beat tasm at the box office.

Having a non-sinister six spider-man film do a billion is not that crazy of a concept. We technically already had a spider-man film that made $1 billion, which was the first spider-man film. If you adjust its box office for inflation, it made a billion dollars. But just as you said, we'll look at the current franchise for the sake of argument.

The current franchise doesn't have too much working against it. The first film did but things will be more even now starting with the second film. The only thing it will have somewhat working against it is the raimi nostalgia and even that will quickly be wearing off much like how the burton nostalgia wore off with the nolan batman films. Plus, the people that are bashing the reboot solely due to it being a reboot have never composed the majority of moviegoers in the first place. Overall, tasm2 doesn't really have too many things working against it. Tdk originally had more working against it if you think about it and look at the success it was.

So they targeted the twilight demo just because they went back to high school? I don't see the connection there. That sounds like more raimi fanboy logic to me. The reason twilight is discarded by a lot of the older generations is not due to the high school setting but due to the ridiculous melodrama, poor writing and stereotypical portrayals of teenagers (at least emotionally speaking). Many franchises with high school settings can and have been successful with a variety of different audiences and age groups simply because they took themselves seriously and did not treat their viewers like idiots, which is what twilight does.

I also love how you seem to think that the idea of bringing peter back to high school has something to do with twilight. It doesn't. It is simply staying true to the story of spider-man. Peter originally became spider-man while in high school and his high school years and just as important to his character as his college years. Sony has come out and said that one of the reasons they decided to reboot was because they believed they grew up peter parker too fast over the course of 3 films. That is why they are now taking their time with things and not skipping over anything important in peter's life. Even if you were right (which i don't think you are), we already know that peter will graduate from high school in asm2. He won't be in high school for the whole film and won't be in high school at all in future sequels.

It only retreaded lots of ground in the first film by redoing the origin. This won't be the case anymore starting with tasm 2. Multiple people have already told you this though. I also don't see how they alienated so many people as you claim they did. For the most part, the film got positive acclaim. Most of the general audience loved it and it even has an 81% score from the general audience on rt, which is the same score spider-man 2 got. The only people that it alienated were the raimi fanboys upset that the raimi franchise isn't being continued, but those people are in fact a minority. They're just a very loud minority, giving the impression that there are more of them than there really are.

The theory that it can only break box office records by being an event film is entirely your own theory. I see nothing to show that that has to be the case. Tdk was your standard batman vs. Joker story and easily made $1 billion.
very much this

amazingly atiba is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #106
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

I would like to know where the belief that people were generally uninterested in the first film comes from. Based on everything reported, the general audience seems to have liked the first film for the most part. Heck, the audience gave the film an 81% score on RT which is the exact same score they gave to Spider-Man 2.

I don't know why some people feel the need to go around saying how much everyone hates the first film. That is all I've been hearing from those people since the movie came out: Everybody hates it. Everybody hates it because we said so, despite there being no solid evidence of this.

I don't like TDKR. In fact, I literally think that it goes against the very message of Batman and it pains me that it is considered to be one of the best CBM's of all time and on the same level as the other 2 Nolan films by so many people. However, I would never go around saying how everyone hates it because the harsh truth is that most people loved it. I would definitely love to see the majority of people see TDKR for the poor film I find it to be but the fact that people don't does not persuade me to go around saying how much everyone hates TDKR based on nothing because that is simply not the case. I simply suck it up and accept the fact that most people liked it.


Last edited by Shikamaru; 07-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Shikamaru is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #107
SpideyFan866
Hero Support
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,319
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Twilight is a global phenomenon. Its not Harry Potter level of course, but those movies absolutely shattered overseas records. Not bad for a franchise that supposedly panders to that teeney bopper, chicks only crowd. Now you have the Hunger Games, which is poised to explode overseas. By that logic, you really can't call any of them niche franchise. These are massive global hits. We just care less about them for obvious reasons. And just look at disparity down this thread. We have posters that thought ASM was a lock for a billion sans TDKR. Other posters like myself who think that is absolutely ridiculous. The answer is somewhere in between. I figured ASM would do 220-230 domestic last year. The 3D prices pushed the numbers a bit higher than I thought. Overseas is too volatile and I won't venture a prediction. I'm gonna say 290-310 domestic for ASM2 assuming it is another mixed, but acceptable reception. Still way too early to tell. I don't see a billion WW. I just can't see how you get a jump like that after two years. I guess Bond bucked the trend, and that may have Sony feeling giddy, although it was considered the best Bond since Golden Eye in many eyes.
Batman Begins made under 400 Million at the Box Office.

A short 3 years later, The Dark Knight made over a Billion at the Box Office.

Now I'm not saying ASM2 will be TDK quality (though it very well could be), but I'm saying its not impossible.

Far from it.

Even the Iron Man series(which is a better comparison to TASM) did it. IM2 made a little over 600 million at the box office and was, as you would put it, lukewarm critically.

3 years later, IM3 (which polarized fans and critics as much as IM2 and ASM did) has grossed well over a Billion dollars at the box office.


Last edited by SpideyFan866; 07-09-2013 at 03:14 PM.
SpideyFan866 is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #108
amazingly atiba
Lets go catch a spider
 
amazingly atiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: chula vista
Posts: 2,030
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

plus a stellar cast and hype and buzz since before production even started Tasm 2 is a shoe in for a billion

amazingly atiba is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #109
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,875
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Even as a film franchise, Spider-Man still murders Twilight. TASM is the least grossing Spider-Man film to date and it still beat every single Twilight film excluding the very last one. Though if you consider the fact that the last Twilight film had a lot of hype for being the end of the series while TASM had many factors working against it (such as the burden of being a reboot, the burden of being the first Spider-Man film after SM3, coming out in between Avengers and TDKR, etc.), a one-time exception of Twilight outgrossing a Spider-Man film makes sense. And even then, the second part of Breaking Dawn barely beat TASM at the box office.

Having a non-Sinister Six Spider-Man film do a billion is not that crazy of a concept. We technically already had a Spider-Man film that made $1 billion, which was the first Spider-Man film. If you adjust its box office for inflation, it made a billion dollars. But just as you said, we'll look at the current franchise for the sake of argument.

The current franchise doesn't have too much working against it. The first film did but things will be more even now starting with the second film. The only thing it will have somewhat working against it is the Raimi nostalgia and even that will quickly be wearing off much like how the Burton nostalgia wore off with the Nolan Batman films. Plus, the people that are bashing the reboot solely due to it being a reboot have never composed the majority of moviegoers in the first place. Overall, TASM2 doesn't really have too many things working against it. TDK originally had more working against it if you think about it and look at the success it was.

So they targeted the Twilight demo just because they went back to high school? I don't see the connection there. That sounds like more Raimi fanboy logic to me. The reason Twilight is discarded by a lot of the older generations is not due to the high school setting but due to the ridiculous melodrama, poor writing and stereotypical portrayals of teenagers (at least emotionally speaking). Many franchises with high school settings can and have been successful with a variety of different audiences and age groups simply because they took themselves seriously and did not treat their viewers like idiots, which is what Twilight does.

I also love how you seem to think that the idea of bringing Peter back to high school has something to do with Twilight. It doesn't. It is simply staying true to the story of Spider-Man. Peter originally became Spider-Man while in high school and his high school years and just as important to his character as his college years. Sony has come out and said that one of the reasons they decided to reboot was because they believed they grew up Peter Parker too fast over the course of 3 films. That is why they are now taking their time with things and not skipping over anything important in Peter's life. Even if you were right (which I don't think you are), we already know that Peter will graduate from high school in ASM2. He won't be in high school for the whole film and won't be in high school at all in future sequels.

It only retreaded lots of ground in the first film by redoing the origin. This won't be the case anymore starting with TASM 2. Multiple people have already told you this though. I also don't see how they alienated so many people as you claim they did. For the most part, the film got positive acclaim. Most of the general audience loved it and it even has an 81% score from the general audience on RT, which is the same score Spider-Man 2 got. The only people that it alienated were the Raimi fanboys upset that the Raimi franchise isn't being continued, but those people are in fact a minority. They're just a very loud minority, giving the impression that there are more of them than there really are.

The theory that it can only break box office records by being an event film is entirely your own theory. I see nothing to show that that has to be the case. TDK was your standard Batman vs. Joker story and easily made $1 billion.
Twilight was done on a much smaller budget so its debateable which series was more profitable film by film. In popularity, it's like comparing apples and oranges, so I won't go there. But when are you guys actually going to provide an argument as to how ASM is actually GROWING its business to be a billion dollar movie? IM2 didn't grow the business. They setup the business for Avengers, but it was on par with the first in profitability. You can point out the big names like Foxx and Giamatti, but they aren't playing Joker level villains. You can point out Gwen Stacy/Emma Stone intrigue, but we already got her in ASM and she frankly isn't a huge draw as Gangster Squad proved. Is Garfield a draw as Peter Parker? No evidence of that. You could argue Maguire's Parker got better reception from his first two films. Where is the evidence that this is this franchises TDK or T2? Cause if it is there, I must be a blind fanboy. Then we can look at other recent franchises, Shrek 2, TF2, PoTC 2, which all had more success as follow ups. But that's because the first film built a fanbase. There is no evidence of ASM building a bigger fanbase than what the original Spiderman built. ASM only lost some of those fans, as evident with its lower talley in 2012 let alone 2002.

Mr.M is online now  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #110
FN Spider-man
move it Spidey move it!!
 
FN Spider-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,040
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

I fail to see why people try and compare it to twilight or even have Spider-Man and twilight in the same sentence and please dont tell me its the hair because Peter had the kind of hair style in the comics and that's that sheesh

FN Spider-man is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #111
JOE
_________________________
 
JOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,032
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Twilight comparisons are getting very old. Not to mention irrelevant.

__________________
"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #112
FN Spider-man
move it Spidey move it!!
 
FN Spider-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,040
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Yeah that was soo worn out and of the most pathetic and annoying attack on TASM, those who like to use it, just leave that back in 2012

FN Spider-man is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #113
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Twilight was done on a much smaller budget so its debateable which series was more profitable film by film. In popularity, it's like comparing apples and oranges, so I won't go there. But when are you guys actually going to provide an argument as to how ASM is actually GROWING its business to be a billion dollar movie? IM2 didn't grow the business. They setup the business for Avengers, but it was on par with the first in profitability. You can point out the big names like Foxx and Giamatti, but they aren't playing Joker level villains. You can point out Gwen Stacy/Emma Stone intrigue, but we already got her in ASM and she frankly isn't a huge draw as Gangster Squad proved. Is Garfield a draw as Peter Parker? No evidence of that. You could argue Maguire's Parker got better reception from his first two films. Where is the evidence that this is this franchises TDK or T2? Cause if it is there, I must be a blind fanboy. Then we can look at other recent franchises, Shrek 2, TF2, PoTC, which all had more success as follow ups. But that's because the first film built a fanbase. There is no evidence of ASM building a bigger fanbase than what the original Spiderman built. ASM only lost some of those fans, as evident with it's lower talley in 2012 let alone 2002.
I am not comparing profit. I am comparing popularity and appeal. It is not debatable that the popularity and appeal of Spider-Man stomps all over Twilight, even if you solely compare just his popularity in the film medium.

You keep repeating the same thing over and over again. We keep telling you that nobody is saying that TASM2 will definitely make $1 billion. Not one person in this thread is saying that. What we are saying is that it is not impossible for TASM2 to reach $1 billion. Do we know for sure that it will? No. Are we even claiming that it will most likely make a billion? No. We don't know how much it will make. The only thing we said is that it will probably make more money than the first one. How much of an increase it will have at the box office remains to be seen. It could be a small increase for all we know and to be fair, a small increase does not mean that it underperformed since $750 million is still a fantastic number.

The burden of proof lies entirely on you. You are the one who made the claim here that it is entirely impossible for TASM2 to reach $1 billion. You are the only one here with a hypothesis accusing everyone else of having one when nobody here does at the moment (other than you). Nobody here has made any concrete statement to the same extent that you have. You have a lot more arguments to present than anyone else on here due to that fact.

It depends on what kind of growth in fanbase you are expecting. In the case of superheroes like Spider-Man and Batman, these characters are big enough that everybody and their grandmother has seen their films. Other than kids, there aren't a lot of people that are not at least casual fans of these films. If you're referring to the younger generations that weren't born or old enough when the Raimi films were out, I can assure you that those generations are not going to be a problem. Kids often like anything and can get into almost anything regardless of the quality.

I already addressed the notion that the reboot somehow lost so many fans. As I already said, the general audience liked it for the most part. Audience tally's and scores like the ones on RT even show that the general audience liked it just as much as they liked Spider-Man 2. The only ones that were really completely turned off by the reboot were the Raimi fanboys and like I said, that is a very small minority.

Shikamaru is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #114
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,875
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I am not comparing profit. I am comparing popularity and appeal. It is not debatable that the popularity and appeal of Spider-Man stomps all over Twilight, even if you solely compare just his popularity in the film medium.

You keep repeating the same thing over and over again. We keep telling you that nobody is saying that TASM2 will definitely make $1 billion. Not one person in this thread is saying that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingly atiba View Post
plus a stellar cast and hype and buzz since before production even started Tasm 2 is a shoe in for a billion


Quote:
What we are saying is that it is not impossible for TASM2 to reach $1 billion. Do we know for sure that it will? No. Are we even claiming that it will most likely make a billion? No. We don't know how much it will make. The only thing we said is that it will probably make more money than the first one. How much of an increase it will have at the box office remains to be seen. It could be a small increase for all we know and to be fair, a small increase does not mean that it underperformed since $750 million is still a fantastic number.
700 million is the bare minimum if production costs are going to escalate to 250 million by 2014 or beyond and domestic tallies cease to rise. You have to still make the majority of your money domestically to directly profit. Worldwide business hasn't grown much since Raimi's series and there is no reason to believe a drastic spike is in order.

Quote:
The burden of proof lies entirely on you. You are the one who made the claim here that it is entirely impossible for TASM2 to reach $1 billion. You are the only one here with a hypothesis accusing everyone else of having one when nobody here does at the moment (other than you). Nobody here has made any concrete statement to the same extent that you have. You have a lot more arguments to present than anyone else on here due to that fact.
I can probably dig more more quotes if you'd like. People actually believe this series is poised to be more profitable or equally profitable to Raimi's films and I don't see it at this moment. ASM certainly shouldn't convince anyone of that based on the numbers it did, and if you believe otherwise, I'm really curious as to how you can spin the box office numbers to prove otherwise.

Quote:
It depends on what kind of growth in fanbase you are expecting. In the case of superheroes like Spider-Man and Batman, these characters are big enough that everybody and their grandmother has seen their films. Other than kids, there aren't a lot of people that are not at least casual fans of these films. If you're referring to the younger generations that weren't born or old enough when the Raimi films were out, I can assure you that those generations are not going to be a problem. Kids often like anything and can get into almost anything regardless of the quality.
Not enough time has transpired to pass the torch, that's the problem. This next generation has yet to coalesce. When they finally do, they may be split between the two versions. While one can definitely say Nolan's trilogy is the definitive trilogy (if they are under 30), you will still have that ambivalence with these two series so close apart. This franchise hasn't had the longevity of Bond to fall back on. We don't know if Spidey films will ever be as profitable as they are now, or 2002 I should say.

Quote:
I already addressed the notion that the reboot somehow lost so many fans. As I already said, the general audience liked it for the most part. Audience tally's and scores like the ones on RT even show that the general audience liked it just as much as they liked Spider-Man 2. The only ones that were really completely turned off by the reboot were the Raimi fanboys and like I said, that is a very small minority.
Tomato scores and box office hardly form a trend. There are far too many outliers, Transformer not withstanding. Whatever the reception is, if it is on the same level of ASM, it has no chance of growing the business by hundreds of million dollars. I think the ceiling right now is 850 million, but it is just way too soon to say.


Last edited by Mr.M; 07-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Mr.M is online now  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #115
flower
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 591
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
But when are you guys actually going to provide an argument as to how ASM is actually GROWING its business to be a billion dollar movie?

You can point out Gwen Stacy/Emma Stone intrigue, but we already got her in ASM and she frankly isn't a huge draw as Gangster Squad proved.

Is Garfield a draw as Peter Parker? No evidence of that.

ASM only lost some of those fans, as evident with its lower talley in 2012 let alone 2002.
it's got the origin out of the way,and plenty of people didn't see TASM because it was retreading the origin, so they might be interested in seeing the sequel because it has new storylines and it has no competition, unlike TASM that had The Avengers and TDKR

but in TASM they didn't tease her death..they will probably do that in trailers and such, so that's going to get people intrested and yes, she kind of is as Easy A, Zombieland, The Help etc. proved. every actor has an unsuccesful movie here and there

I'd say the evidence is the fact that the majority prefers him as Spider-Man over Tobey

lmao lost what fans? when this reboot was announced there was 5 people who were fans of it, if there was one thing this movie did it's that it turned people who were against it into fans

flower is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #116
Hcmarvel
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 106
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Everything you just said... is wrong.
Would love to hear why

Hcmarvel is offline  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #117
WebHeadedMenace
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Lets be real here TASM was a good movie but it was nothing compared to the avengers.although TASM 2 should be good since we don't have that pesky origin story that we've heard a million times.but I'm glad we'll be seeing electro and rhino.I think it'll do better than the rest.but that's my opinion. :/

WebHeadedMenace is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #118
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

It is inevitable for a Spidey movie to cross the billion dollar mark one day. TASM had no chance, but that doesn't mean TASM2 or 3 won't.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #119
JOE
_________________________
 
JOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,032
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

TASM had way too many people drinking Haterade before the movie even started.

__________________
"You see... Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All you need is a little push!"

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #120
AWT09
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 51
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
TASM had way too many people drinking Haterade before the movie even started.
People are still hating on TASM2 too

AWT09 is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #121
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebHeadedMenace View Post
Lets be real here TASM was a good movie but it was nothing compared to the avengers.although TASM 2 should be good since we don't have that pesky origin story that we've heard a million times.but I'm glad we'll be seeing electro and rhino.I think it'll do better than the rest.but that's my opinion. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWT09 View Post
People are still hating on TASM2 too
Welcome to the hype guys (if you haven't been welcomed already). Wow new people everyday.

pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #122
AWT09
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 51
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Thanks!

AWT09 is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #123
AWT09
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 51
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

I'm actually old. I got banned because of that Anno guy! IDK why I was the one to get banned. They said I was trolling but all I did was argue to the guy.

AWT09 is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #124
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWT09 View Post
I'm actually old. I got banned because of that Anno guy! IDK why I was the one to get banned. They said I was trolling but all I did was argue to the guy.
Ahhh. gotcha gotcha. Yeah you post like you're not new. Any and every ASM fan has gotten into an argument with Anno. It's like a rite of passage. Just gotta be cautious.

pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #125
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,948
Default Re: TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Ahhh. gotcha gotcha. Yeah you post like you're not new. Any and every ASM fan has gotten into an argument with Anno. It's like a rite of passage. Just gotta be cautious.
What do you expect? Though Anno isn't as bad as Chaseter. At least he has some hope for TASM2.

BTW, I totally agree with your sig.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Avatar by SpideyK.
Picard Sisko is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.