The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #926
onyxrose81
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 6

Most people I've seen online who don't post on comic book or even movie forums love the poster. Some of them didn't really care for the first movie but they liked CA so much in The Avengers, they're interested in this movie.

I like the poster. Like it was mentioned,whatever villain or antagonist is in the movie, ultimately it's about the character of Captain America. A lot of movies tend to forget this and I'm cautiously optimistic that's not the case for CA:TWS.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #927
StarLord
Tech Noir.

I didn't care much for TFA, it's my least favourite MCU movie but I'm looking forward to this.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #928
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I thought TFA was awful, but Winter Soldier looks like a badass. How much of a badass he will be in the film remains to be seen. But the choice of directors has completely turned me off such that I have little to no interest. The early reception and marketing is really going to have to blow me away to give this thing a shot. A lot of people may decide to pass on this, knowing they will get their Marvel fill the following month with ASM 2 and DoFP.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #929
Nilso
Emitter of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
A lot of people may decide to pass on this, knowing they will get their Marvel fill the following month with ASM 2 and DoFP.
Except that Cap is directly related to an Avengers sequel.
Calling it now, CA:TWS will make more than ASM 2 and DoFP.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #930
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN91 View Post
After all, wouldn't make sense for a guy partaking in stealth missions to be carrying around a shield adorned in American red-white-blue now, would it?
Wouldn't make sense for a guy partaking in stealth missions to make the shield *worse* by having it painted shiny reflective metallic silver, either, now, would it?

Besides, it's not silver "paint." It's clearly metal. Unless you can get metal out of a spray can, that's the original vibranium showing through. Again: not that hard to figure out, people.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #931
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I thought TFA was awful, but Winter Soldier looks like a badass. How much of a badass he will be in the film remains to be seen. But the choice of directors has completely turned me off such that I have little to no interest. The early reception and marketing is really going to have to blow me away to give this thing a shot. A lot of people may decide to pass on this, knowing they will get their Marvel fill the following month with ASM 2 and DoFP.
Huh? People have Marvel fills?

If they do a good job showing that the story is going to be compelling, it won't matter what studio puts out a movie in the remaining weeks of the summer. It'll do well. Besides, most people don't know/care about the parent company behind the characters.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #932
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
1200 1777 (Right Click > View Image)

Gone is The Red, White and Blue. I guess Cap won't be representing America but will be his own man in this film.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #933
MynAmeIsedDie90
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Wouldn't make sense for a guy partaking in stealth missions to make the shield *worse* by having it painted shiny reflective metallic silver, either, now, would it?

Besides, it's not silver "paint." It's clearly metal. Unless you can get metal out of a spray can, that's the original vibranium showing through. Again: not that hard to figure out, people.
Yeah methinks it's definitely the paint coming off. They want to show that this movie is darker and the stakes are higher for Cap.

To me, it's just like showing a battered Iron Man suit for the Iron Man 3 poster or a broken Batman cowl for the Dark Knight Rises poster. I see it as the marketing team taking what the hero is known for (in this case, Cap's shield) and roughing it up. Nothing more to read into it besides the hero will be tested.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #934
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

The closer I look at that poster the more I see that the red is underneath the silver color chipping away. It's very interesting.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #935
BoredGuy
Killing Time

ahh very true
either an artist messed up and put the drop shadow in the wrong place
or something has leached onto the shield and covered the red..

Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #936
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I'm really thinking it's covered in silver.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #937
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilso View Post
Except that Cap is directly related to an Avengers sequel.
Calling it now, CA:TWS will make more than ASM 2 and DoFP.
Oh dear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Huh? People have Marvel fills?

If they do a good job showing that the story is going to be compelling, it won't matter what studio puts out a movie in the remaining weeks of the summer. It'll do well. Besides, most people don't know/care about the parent company behind the characters.
How do you avoid getting overshadowed by obviously much more popular properties when all the SB spots and trailers start popping all together? We've never seen a year like this for Marvel. DC is pretty much out of the picture, so Marvel properties are occupying 3-4 slots in the peak season. I just don't know if the public is going to want to spend 12-15$ back to back to back for comicbook movies. They didn't back in 2008 with the Hulk. ASM obviously suffered in 2012. I'm just saying, if your the guy (with a wife and kids) that missed TWS OW, and you were busy the following weekend, then you see the Spidey trailer that indicates that's due out in a few weeks which suddenly seems more appealing, do you blow your money at the theatres 2X in a span of three weeks? Unless you are a deranged fanboy like us, probably not.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #938
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Ya can't undercut the importance of being first.

Add to that the insane cash Avengers raked in, plus underwhelming box office and reviews for the last Spidey (not to mention the persistent bad taste left from SM3) and I'm not the least bit afraid that ASM2, or X-men for that matter (which also had lower box office than Marvel's past several) will hurt Cap2's box office take.

The only thing that matters for Cap doing well is HOW GOOD THE MOVIE IS.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #939
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post

Add to that the insane cash Avengers raked in, plus underwhelming box office and reviews for the last Spidey (not to mention the persistent bad taste left from SM3) and I'm not the least bit afraid that ASM2, or X-men for that matter (which also had lower box office than Marvel's past several) will hurt Cap2's box office take.

I was going to respond to M's post, but yeah...pretty much this.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #940
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Movie quality doesn't always show in box office numbers. There are plenty of ****** movies that make millions and lots of great movies that don't make any money at all.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #941
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
Movie quality doesn't always show in box office numbers. There are plenty of ****** movies that make millions and lots of great movies that don't make any money at all.
What's the last great Marvel or DC movie that didn't make any money at all?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #942
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post

I agree with the last sentence. But I don't think the Avengers effect will affect the box office the same way it did for IM. Marvel needs to prove they can have a mega hit without RDJ in the lead, and they have failed to do so thus far, probably because they haven't released too many non-RDJ films, understandably so.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #943
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Looks like someone's bringing a pre-avengers knife to a post-avengers gunfight :P

Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #944
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
The closer I look at that poster the more I see that the red is underneath the silver color chipping away. It's very interesting.
Seriously ......

It's just paint rubbed off from being battle damaged. It's scary how much some of you are overanalyzing this thing. Take some time off.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #945
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
What's the last great Marvel or DC movie that didn't make any money at all?
Did I say I was only talking about Marvel and DC movies? I was thinking of examples like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or the Transformers movies. Still the action/adventure genre.

And way to ignore the half of my post where I mentioned good movies making money, which is way more likely for Marvel movies. After the success of the Avengers, most people are going to see a Marvel movie no matter how good or bad it is. So no, the success of Cap 2 isn't dependent on how good the movie is. It's mostly dependent on the success of past Marvel movies.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #946
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

The shield definitely looks like the silver is on top.

It's probably a cock-up on the graphic department's part.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #947
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
The shield definitely looks like the silver is on top.

It's probably a cock-up on the graphic department's part.
Kind of doubt Marvel would be that sloppy in their work. I think it's probably intentional on their part. It's either some symbolism for the film or it's actually what CA's shield will look like for part of the film.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #948
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

The patriotic colours coming off the shield in the poster may be a metaphor for S.H.I.E.L.D. declaring that Cap is a traitor (?)

Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #949
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
Did I say I was only talking about Marvel and DC movies? I was thinking of examples like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull or the Transformers movies. Still the action/adventure genre.

And way to ignore the half of my post where I mentioned good movies making money, which is way more likely for Marvel movies. After the success of the Avengers, most people are going to see a Marvel movie no matter how good or bad it is. So no, the success of Cap 2 isn't dependent on how good the movie is. It's mostly dependent on the success of past Marvel movies.
But those movies aren't relative to this conversation, which was about superhero movies. My point is that if a given superhero movie is good, it's not likely to bomb.

And wow...I think you're way off in the second part. If that were true, Nolan's Batfilms should have pushed MoS over a billion. Instead, it fell off 64% in its second weekend. Why? Because it wasn't as good.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #950
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Seriously ......

It's just paint rubbed off from being battle damaged. It's scary how much some of you are overanalyzing this thing. Take some time off.
I dont think anyone is over analyzing anything dude. I just happened to notice that the drop shadow is under the silver and maybe it's supposed to be that way, maybe it's just a mistake. But I'm going to continue believing that the silver is on top because that's the way I see it, if you don't then oh well. I'm not gonna sit here and dispute whether it is or isn't the way I believe it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Kind of doubt Marvel would be that sloppy in their work. I think it's probably intentional on their part. It's either some symbolism for the film or it's actually what CA's shield will look like for part of the film.
This ^

Last edited by Gamma Goliath; 07-10-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Closed Thread