SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User

Default The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread

For me I liked the heat vision. I liked how it seemed to disorient them every time they used it, limiting it's effectiveness and OP'ness.

Also, the "casual" use of Superman's flight ability. There were parts where he just sort of hovered like it was totally natural, like walking for us.

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Audrey
Side-Kick

That little moment when Lois and Superman land in the field after they are on Zod's ship...

As with all the quieter moments in this film, it cuts off way too fast. And that's a shame. Because it's actually in this moment where I thought you got the truest sense of the chemistry between Henry and Amy.

Henry's way of saying, "Are you alright?" was just very, very Superman.

I love that Lois is totally breathless and nervous in the scene and Superman is calm and steady. He's both amused and reassuring. It was very Reeve/Kidder.

The whole scene where the two of them are just standing there breathless and smiling despite all the chaos was just very....Superman and Lois.

I wish it had been longer but it promised good things for the sequel.

Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

I agree with Audrey. Love that moment in the field. I wanted it to last longer. It was a missed opportunity. They had a chance to show off their chemistry in that scene but it was cut off.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

The more that I think about it, I think that my favorite element is how the flight was handled. It felt much more organic than seeming "predetermined" (for lack of a better word). You could see how Kal was progressing in the ability throughout the movie. At first he can barely hold it needed speed. Then we see him levitating. Later we see him incorporate it into his fighting tactics.

DChero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
I agree with Audrey. Love that moment in the field. I wanted it to last longer. It was a missed opportunity. They had a chance to show off their chemistry in that scene but it was cut off.
One of the major reviews said something along the lines of, "Adams and Cavill have sparky, fascinating chemistry but the director seems determined to cut it off at every opportunity."

Snyder's biggest mistake with this film was that he seemed terrified of quiet scenes that weren't action packed. And it's a shame. Because this was a GOOD movie. But it could have been a GREAT movie. I want the sequel to be GREAT.

I saw the movie again last week and that scene in the film is just....wonderful.

Adams is so Lois Lane in that scene and Henry is so Superman. She's clinging to him as they come down. He's gentle and kind. She's energetic and stressed and he's this calming presence.

The novelization based on the script has an amazing inner monologue for this scene.

Lois thinks that she can't deny that she feels connected to him despite barely knowing him. She thinks that she has "never wanted to kiss a man more in her life than she does Supermam at that moment."

I think that scene, more than any other, played up the idea that these were two virtual "strangers" who felt a pull towards each other they couldn't quite explain yet.

Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
That little moment when Lois and Superman land in the field after they are on Zod's ship...

As with all the quieter moments in this film, it cuts off way too fast. And that's a shame. Because it's actually in this moment where I thought you got the truest sense of the chemistry between Henry and Amy.

Henry's way of saying, "Are you alright?" was just very, very Superman.

I love that Lois is totally breathless and nervous in the scene and Superman is calm and steady. He's both amused and reassuring. It was very Reeve/Kidder.

The whole scene where the two of them are just standing there breathless and smiling despite all the chaos was just very....Superman and Lois.

I wish it had been longer but it promised good things for the sequel.
I think if it had been cut short for a reason (story-wise) other than what it was, I think I would've been bothered too. But for me, I actually really like that they're having this tender moment and then you can see in his face the reason it's being cut short with his realization of them having looked in both their minds (that or his super-hearing picked something up) and for that fleeting second as the expression on his face changes you can almost hear him thinking "Oh ****, they know about the farm and mom."

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Let's hope the directors cut has more "quiet scenes." Snyder should bit the bullet and just release one.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
sef
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Madrigal View Post
For me I liked the heat vision. I liked how it seemed to disorient them every time they used it, limiting it's effectiveness and OP'ness.
Really liked that too. Especially when Clark emerges from his self-made tunnel to the scout ship and has to squint his eyes to be able to see straight again.

It also seemed to cause quite a bit of pain for Zod when he was firing it off at (presumably) maximum intensity and for the first time inside the building.
At first it looks like he probably doesn't notice the pain because of all the anger coupled with the surprising realization that he can use heat vision as well but then, in the next cut he desperately clutches his head, while screaming more in agony rather than anger.
Hats off, Mr. Shannon.

Last edited by sef; 07-12-2013 at 01:22 PM.
sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Bren
Forevernoob

Seems like the heat vision is almost universally liked so far!
I got the impression the more they let rip, the less they could actually see - which if that is the case, love it even more!

Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
One of the major reviews said something along the lines of, "Adams and Cavill have sparky, fascinating chemistry but the director seems determined to cut it off at every opportunity."

Snyder's biggest mistake with this film was that he seemed terrified of quiet scenes that weren't action packed. And it's a shame. Because this was a GOOD movie. But it could have been a GREAT movie. I want the sequel to be GREAT.

I saw the movie again last week and that scene in the film is just....wonderful.

Adams is so Lois Lane in that scene and Henry is so Superman. She's clinging to him as they come down. He's gentle and kind. She's energetic and stressed and he's this calming presence.

The novelization based on the script has an amazing inner monologue for this scene.

Lois thinks that she can't deny that she feels connected to him despite barely knowing him. She thinks that she has "never wanted to kiss a man more in her life than she does Supermam at that moment."

I think that scene, more than any other, played up the idea that these were two virtual "strangers" who felt a pull towards each other they couldn't quite explain yet.
MAN THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE... Superman's action is something never seen before in the movies... the movie is not perfect but is great... the story is great and there's no sign that the movie is long

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Smallville13
Side-Kick

I'm not sure if Zack Snyder was too afraid to show quiet scenes. We got quite a lengthy lingering scene of Superman and Lois just holding hands awaiting Faora.

I think the best summation is it's a great movie, but it's not a great movie. Which is where the disconnect is with alot of us here. Many of us were expecting so much better. I have hope that we can get there in a sequel though. Please please please.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I'm not sure if Zack Snyder was too afraid to show quiet scenes. We got quite a lengthy lingering scene of Superman and Lois just holding hands awaiting Faora.

I think the best summation is it's a great movie, but it's not a great movie. Which is where the disconnect is with alot of us here. Many of us were expecting so much better. I have hope that we can get there in a sequel though. Please please please.
It's a great ACTION-based superhero movie, a mediocre PLOT-based superhero movie, and an unsatisfactory character based-movie.

It was a film that should have been better than it was, but has a lot of really good elements to it. Hopefully the sequel can be all about the characters, with more humor, less action/destruction, and a "pure" villain. Also, it should involve the world somehow.

Someone else should write the main screenplay, but keep Goyer for the ideas. I don't know if Zack can pull off a "quiet" movie, but if he can, keep him.

I really want Jonah Nolan to be the driving force behind the story and dialog. He's closer to the medium than Chris is, and seems to bring a warmth to some of his characters (as evidenced in POI).

Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
bluearth
Side-Kick

When Zod throws the satellite back down to Earth Superman catches it and tries to stop it but Zod bursts through it and attacks him.

bluearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Smallville13
Side-Kick

TheFlamingCoco.

I wonder, is Jonathan Nolan exclusive to Syncopy (Chris' production company)? Would his involvement be tied to Chris staying involved?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Well, he worked on Terminator 4, for what it's worth :-/

Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
InJustice
Side-Kick

I'm not sure Snyder is to blame for cutting the quiet scenes. I think he can do decently with character development scenes (I need to watch Watchmen to see if he does well). To me it almost seems like Goyer was overcompensating (in regards to the action) for the crap that Superman Returns was.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
Andreth
Side-Kick

Yeah, I remember when we were following the first critics on rottentomatoes, how I kept reading critics saying how some emotional quiet scenes were starting to build up and then BAM an action scene happened and it left you wanting to go back to the previous one.

It was on so many reviews that it got stuck in my head.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Not sure I really get the 'Snyder's aversion to silent scenes' criticism. The film ends on a fairly lengthy 'silent scene' with young Clark playing in the yard with the cape, with his ma and pa watching.

I've been thinking about that scene, and how it received quite a lot of criticism from the GA on Reddit and that, as 'the last straw, as who is he impersonating if Superman doesn't exist yet'. I wonder if it could be a bit of his 'nature' coming out, I mean he's the result of aeons of Kryptonian lineage, could it not be some ingrained part of his passed down DNA showing up here. It could also be Kryptonians have far better photographic memory even as an infant and he has strange vivid dreams of seeing his father walk around in a cape, in the small amount of time before he was put in a capsule.

The other explanation is it's a bit of a Snyder continuity injoke where he's just impersonating the 'Smallville Spartans' who all look like the army in the 300. I prefer the Kryptonian genealogy explanation though.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
DarkSentinel
9/8/14 - Never Forget

I actually loved the scene where he learns to fly for the first time. It was a nice callback to Superman's first appearances in the comics where he could only jump an eighth of a mile instead of fly.

The little things, man

*T*
DarkSentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
davejames
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I've been thinking about that scene, and how it received quite a lot of criticism from the GA on Reddit and that, as 'the last straw, as who is he impersonating if Superman doesn't exist yet'. I wonder if it could be a bit of his 'nature' coming out, I mean he's the result of aeons of Kryptonian lineage, could it not be some ingrained part of his passed down DNA showing up here. It could also be Kryptonians have far better photographic memory even as an infant and he has strange vivid dreams of seeing his father walk around in a cape, in the small amount of time before he was put in a capsule.
I didn't really see it as him "impersonating" Superman. He struck the iconic pose because... well, that's just something that comes natural to him. And little kids have always loved running around in capes (if not to mimic superheroes then characters like Zorro), so that didn't seem like a big deal to me.

davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejames View Post
I didn't really see it as him "impersonating" Superman. He struck the iconic pose because... well, that's just something that comes natural to him. And little kids have always loved running around in capes (if not to mimic superheroes then characters like Zorro), so that didn't seem like a big deal to me.
The point of that scene was Jonaton Kent, not Clark. The look on Jon Kent's face staring at him in a quiet sort of awe thinking along the lines "my god, maybe this is his why he was sent to us"
It was amazingly done, and acted.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:

Guys logic 101:

"If I don't have a chick, I'll spend all my time trying to get one"

"If I have a chick, I'll spend all my time trying to get away"

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
Azrael24
Side-Kick

Another thing I really liked was how the stagger motion he had after being thrown into the bank vault. Like it really hurt! He did it quite a bit after being hit with something relatively harsh. Good non-verbal acting.

Azrael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #25
Azrael24
Side-Kick

ANOTHER thing I really liked (little thing) was the way his when Jor-El said to Kal in the ship "Hit that wall" and he just busted the ship with one punch. His cape was billowing around him (like the promotional shot). GREAT visual.

Then he (Jor-El) says, "Look.." and Kal looks and says, "Lois.." it's the way he said Lois..it was PERFECT.

Azrael24 is offline   Reply With Quote