MOS Storyboard Artist Jay Oliva talks about MOS - 2nd part of interview

http://voicesfromkrypton.net/part-2-...ist-jay-oliva/

John Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel
ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Default Re: Jay Oliva talks about MOS - PART 2

: People have been talking about the sequel online, some of them saying it would be ideal for Metallo to work with Luthor and serve as a great way to introduce Kryptonite.

JAY OLIVA: That would be great.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

"mostly because I kept telling Zack that we’ve spent most of the movie with Zod messing with Superman and need to have this."

So Jay's the one! :P

Old 07-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

"it doesn’t have to be anything super epic that you saw with Zod and superman, but I could do even Superman versus Lex or something. I could even come up with something more personal and smaller, but still ears-to-the-wall fun for the audience.

YES!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

^Cool

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
JAY OLIVA: Zack wanted to shoot it in a very Terrence Malick kind of style, which is why it has a lot of handheld. It’s very different from the slick way of shooting that he did in Watchmen. I remember when he mentioned that to me, because most people expect it to be shot like a Richard Donner film or even Bryan Singer’s Superman Returns. But Zack wanted to give it a different directorial flair, and I have to admit that I’ve never seen a take on Superman quite like that before.
A lot of indie directors I've known who saw the film called the "Terrence Malick"-esque style that Zack was aiming for. Cool that Oliva confirmed their thoughts.

Quote:
JAY OLIVA: And what’s also exciting to me is to explore where we go from here. One of my buddies asked me, “So, how are you going to top it with Man of Steel 2?” And I thought, “I’ll find a way.” If Zack wants me again for that movie, and if there are some cool set pieces – it doesn’t have to be anything super epic that you saw with Zod and superman, but I could do even Superman versus Lex or something. I could even come up with something more personal and smaller, but still balls-to-the-wall fun for the audience. I remember the animated Superman/Batman World’s Finest when you had Superman and Batman fighting the Joker and Lex, and I was, like, “This is amazing; this is what I want to see in a live action movie,” and I’m hoping we’ll get to that point, a World’s Finest movie or…
I loved the action in Man of Steel, and when he said the bolded. MFW:

Quote:
VOICES FROM KRYPTON: No “or” about it, it has to be World’s Finest. It would be so much better than Justice League.

JAY OLIVA: But they eventually want to do a Justice League movie.

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: That’s fine, but start on the road to that by teaming up Superman and Batman. You’ll never convince anybody at WB because they’re so hell bent on doing a Justice League movie, but as a person who has followed this his entire life, I can tell you that an audience is just going to look at Justice League as a rip-off of The Avengers. But if they did the one thing that Marvel does not have, which is a team-up of its two most iconic characters, people would go insane.

JAY OLIVA: It would be almost as if The Avengers had Spider-Man in it, and then the X-Men showed up. It would blow your mind. Holy moly!

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: I think you should mention it to Zack.
Dear God Almighty...if we get a World's Finest, I know who to thank.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

VOK is blunt to the point of -ickery. And yet, I feel like that prompt sounds good.

I feel like Zack would feel less burdened with World's Finest than Justice League.
If MOS2 turns out to be great, he should be rewarded with a "safe film."

Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
VOK is blunt to the point of -ickery. And yet, I feel like that prompt sounds good.

I feel like Zack would feel less burdened with World's Finest than Justice League.
If MOS2 turns out to be great, he should be rewarded with a "safe film."
Indeed, I want to see how Snyder would do action for Batman if he was chosen to do World's Finest.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Only cooler

Old 07-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
GreenKToo
In the fire

Lots of possibilities.. Lex could get his hands on some kryptonian tech from the crashed ships which enables him to create metallo, or bizzaro, or even parasite.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Parasite would allow Superman to have his power drained, but not through Kryptonite.
But I say Metallo can do several things at once, provide a tale of duality (Corben and Clark), introduce Kryptonite, and give Superman someone to fight.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
kalhawj
Side-Kick

WB, after MOS 2 please make WF. You would bank on billions on WF which leads to yet another billion $ movie in JL... Its the only way to go and distance yourself from Marvel...

kalhawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
Tra-El
Side-Kick

World's Finest. Bah gawd, I truly do allow THAT much awesomeness in my life. Is that so much to ask? Higher powers? Are you listening? I ....

...ALLOW IT!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
kalhawj
Side-Kick

World Finest would literately to this

to any movie that open up against it... Superman + Batman will be the biggest team up to ever be put on the big screen... When this gets announce I can guarantee that it breaks all buzz records...

kalhawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
blumatic
Side-Kick

I really like this interview. Some of these morons out there say the action is "mindless" and "repetitive".

The action in this film is unique. The best I've ever seen. It was like a dance. Pure awesomeness.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
WB, after MOS 2 please make WF. You would bank on billions on WF which leads to yet another billion $ movie in JL... Its the only way to go and distance yourself from Marvel...
Yes. It can be a good side-story while they come up with an epic story for MOS3. This allows for MOS3 to be spaced out so that it can have more time to get the best possible script, but ALSO for there to be more time to get emotionally attached to Henry's Supes (should he be killed off in MOS3)

This also allows Batman to be rebooted so that audiences can get used to a new take on the character before either a solo movie or Justice League.
EVEN if they don't like this take at first, it'll make bank.

Also, World's Finest should be rather light-hearted with great dialog (imho).

Justice League should be more serious (to distance itself from The Avengers).

Also, I think World's Finest and Wonder Woman should be in the same year, but with World's Finest FIRST so DC's reputation can "sell" Wonder Woman.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #17
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes. It can be a good side-story while they come up with an epic story for MOS3. This allows for MOS3 to be spaced out so that it can have more time to get the best possible script, but ALSO for there to be more time to get emotionally attached to Henry's Supes (should he be killed off in MOS3)

This also allows Batman to be rebooted so that audiences can get used to a new take on the character before either a solo movie or Justice League.
EVEN if they don't like this take at first, it'll make bank.

Also, World's Finest should be rather light-hearted with great dialog (imho).

Justice League should be more serious (to distance itself from The Avengers).

Also, I think World's Finest and Wonder Woman should be in the same year, but with World's Finest FIRST so DC's reputation can "sell" Wonder Woman.
Well I dont want it too light hearted. Both heroes are pretty serious about their business. A few jabs at each other would be cool. And their relationship developed (tensed of cordially) in WF would be great for a JL movie.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #18
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ To me, World's Finest seems like the ultimate buddy movie. So it should take that tone. I'm not saying have it be as jokey as IM3, but something less serious than the TDK trilogy or even MOS seems good.

I'd want Wonder Woman and Justice League to be serious, though

Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
World Finest would literately to this

to any movie that open up against it... Superman + Batman will be the biggest team up to ever be put on the big screen... When this gets announce I can guarantee that it breaks all buzz records...
I totally agree WF, all the way FTW.

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #20
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ MOS would EXPLODE the Box office, ESPECIALLY if it had good WOM!

Batman would garner nearly a billion, while Superman (after MOS2) might garner 4 or 5 hundred plus MIL. Together, they could rival the Avenger's BO. Now filmmaking quality on the other hand..

Old 07-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #21
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
^ MOS would EXPLODE the Box office, ESPECIALLY if it had good WOM!

Batman would garner nearly a billion, while Superman (after MOS2) might garner 4 or 5 hundred plus MIL. Together, they could rival the Avenger's BO. Now filmmaking quality on the other hand..
The potential for witty banter between Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent is too damn high! They'll need someone who's sharp with dialogue, and someone who's sharp with DC/World's Finest continuity, and someone who's sharp with ideas in general.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #22
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I'd say Paul Dini, but he might be tired of it all. Brad Bird? I know I throw him out a lot, but I feel like he would make a movie so good that fans could mostly gloss over the inaccuracies. Greg Wiseman? He knows animation and comics, but perhaps he could make the "jump" like Bird did.
Right now I'm leaning toward Stan Berkewitz, because I remember liking his JLA episodes, and thinking the overall dialog in the Superman/Batman Public Enemies adaptation was very good, though not enough of it.