The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #51
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

I loved the flashback with little Clark running around in the cape. I loved the Daily Planet ending too.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #52
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Not sure if anyone else caught the references or not, but I'll throw them out there:

- Superman moving fast and avoiding the gunfire of the military jets in Smallville: "Faster than a speeding bullet".

- Superman getting hit by the train at the end of the Smallville battle: "More powerful than locomotive"

- Superman being able only to leap at first before figuring out how to fly: The super-leap, and the famous "Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" line.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #53
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
Yeah it's my fault that I see no symbolism or purpose in a young Clark running around in a cape and Jonathan watching. Sorry but it just comes off as a lame and serves no purpose, IMO.
No need to apologize. It just didn't resonate with you for whatever reason. Like The Sage said, "to each their own". I personally thought Shannon's performance as Zod was a little too over-the-top, but a lot of people loved it.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #54
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
No need to apologize. It just didn't resonate with you for whatever reason. Like The Sage said, "to each their own". I personally thought Shannon's performance as Zod was a little too over-the-top, but a lot of people loved it.
Really. Some people felt that Shannon didn't do enough. Interesting.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #55
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Good gracious this movie is definitely a comic book Superman, I don't know how many times I've heard that certain scenes were either inspired or taken right out of the comic books. I don't read them but seeing the writers and director being inspired by the actual source material and not a previous movie makes me smile. Perhaps this will force people to realize Superman does not equal Richard Donner/Christopher Reeve.
Agreed 100%.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #56
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
Really. Some people felt that Shannon didn't do enough. Interesting.
For me, it was very obvious that he was acting, and that's not a good thing. Hearing him say, "I will find him!!!" over and over in the beginning actually made me sort of cringe. It's not the words he was given; it's the way he said them. He just felt like a walking-talking cliche to me.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #57
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I felt like the first 10 or 15 minutes kind of had stagey acting on everybody's part, up to a point. Then the movie got better acting wise.

I don't know why that is :/

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #58
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Good gracious this movie is definitely a comic book Superman, I don't know how many times I've heard that certain scenes were either inspired or taken right out of the comic books. I don't read them but seeing the writers and director being inspired by the actual source material and not a previous movie makes me smile. Perhaps this will force people to realize Superman does not equal Richard Donner/Christopher Reeve.
who knows... maybe this superman could rise upon Richard Donner's supes... this superman has so much potential...

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #59
Loki882
Side-Kick

I fully believe that you should have Michael Shannon scream at the top of his lungs like a maniac at least once in any project he appears in, he is just that damn intense. Also, I found Shannon's performance to be very believable. He was subdued most of the film (like a soldier should be) but had a temper and would explode with rage and frustration from time to time. At the end of the movie, he just completely loses his mind and becomes a rabid dog. I though his acting was very good and multi-dimensional. I certainly bought him being the supreme commander of the Kryptonian military much more than Terence Stamp (who came across as more of a pompous, arrogant, aristocrat than an actual soldier).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #60
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by juansuperiron20 View Post
this superman has so much potential...
Agreed. There's so much you can explore, going forward. The introduction of Luthor. Superman's relationship with people all over the world, specifically how some will embrace him while others will ultimately come to reject him. The CK disguise. Lois showing her prowess as a reporter at the DP. A well-written story delving into the psyche of Luthor; how he sees Superman as nothing more than an alien, and an end to human progress. What else? Supes using his powers in new and exciting ways, much like how he combines his flight, speed and arctic breath to save a tower from falling in the latest issue of Superman Unchained. You can have some really fun scenes with him saving people in general. I'm sure the Snyder camp is also well aware by now that most people would love to see a little improvement in the brightness and saturation areas on film. Like you said, there's so much potential.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #61
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I though his acting was very good and multi-dimensional.
In what way? I think the idea was for him to show that, on the one hand, he's a ruthless type who will stop at nothing to achieve his goals, but on the other, he's just someone looking out for the preservation of his people. However, I don't think Shannon properly conveyed concern or compassion in that regard. He just seemed like your typical run-of-the-mill angry bad guy. For instance, when Supes told him to stop, and he said, "NEVER!", I almost laughed out loud. I can't blame Shannon for that part of the script though. That's all Goyer.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #62
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I think Shannon was very good and believable, I liked that he wasn't a stereotypical villain. But I definitely agree that the repeated "I will find him" was over the top. Saying it 3-4x kind of took the intensity out of it.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #63
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
I think Shannon was very good and believable, I liked that he wasn't a stereotypical villain. But I definitely agree that the repeated "I will find him" was over the top. Saying it 3-4x kind of took the intensity out of it.
I thought he was the epitome of a stereotypical villain, but that was Goyer's fault. "I will kill all of these humans you've come to adopt, Kal. I will take all of them from you -- one by one." "Release the gorgon.. err world engine!!" Only thing missing was having him let loose a heinous cackle like Skelator.

Last edited by ArmsHeldOut; 07-14-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #64
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
I thought he was the epitome of a stereotypical villain, but that was Goyer's fault. "I will kill all of these humans you've come to adopt, Kal. I will take all of them from you -- one by one." "Release the gorgon.. err world engine!!" Only thing missing was having him let loose a heinous cackle like Skelator.
My thoughts exactly. The acting was fine, he didn't overshadow Henry like some claimed he would.
But the character was written like a stereotypical villain IMO.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #65
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
My thoughts exactly. The acting was fine, he didn't overshadow Henry like some claimed he would.
But the character was written like a stereotypical villain IMO.
People often put Smallville down (and I know it had some major flaws), but some of the actors on that show (NOT Welling) were great. Callum Blue, for example, really nailed Zod in my opinion.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #66
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Zod wanted to kill humans just to anger Kal El a the end of the movie after Zod had lost everything. His goal at the beginning was to revive his world which had been destroyed, he was going to kill all humans as a result of trying to revive Krypton, not simply because he was evil. He also showed concern and caring towards Jor El and even hi son for a time; it was only after they refused to see things his way did he turn against them. For me that is not the stereotypical I'm evil just to be evil villain.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Old 07-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #67
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Zod wanted to kill humans just to anger Kal El a the end of the movie after Zod had lost everything. His goal at the beginning was to revive his world which had been destroyed, he was going to kill all humans as a result of trying to revive Krypton, not simply because he was evil. He also showed concern and caring towards Jor El and even hi son for a time; it was only after they refused to see things his way did he turn against them. For me that is not the stereotypical I'm evil just to be evil villain.
Yeah, I get all that; and I agree, in theory, it sounds good. I just don't think that Shannon, armed with Goyer's script, pulled it off very well. He didn't make me believe that he cared about anyone but himself.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #68
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ You must have missed the part when he puts his hand on Faora, or when he begs Clark NOT to destroy the scout ship :P

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #69
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Hey I wasn't moved by young Clark running around in a cape, some weren't moved by Michael's Zod.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Old 07-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #70
DMC40
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I fully believe that you should have Michael Shannon scream at the top of his lungs like a maniac at least once in any project he appears in, he is just that damn intense. Also, I found Shannon's performance to be very believable. He was subdued most of the film (like a soldier should be) but had a temper and would explode with rage and frustration from time to time. At the end of the movie, he just completely loses his mind and becomes a rabid dog. I though his acting was very good and multi-dimensional. I certainly bought him being the supreme commander of the Kryptonian military much more than Terence Stamp (who came across as more of a pompous, arrogant, aristocrat than an actual soldier).
Agreed funny some hated Michael screaming "I Will Find Him" four times, yet loved Stamp saying "Kneel" every 5 mins. Personally I thought Michael gave the best performance in the movie but that's just my opinion.

DMC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #71
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I wasn't moved either by the Clark cape thingy....I felt emotional and it was a cute gesture considering what he was going to end up being eventually

Old 07-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #72
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Not sure if anyone else caught the references or not, but I'll throw them out there:

- Superman moving fast and avoiding the gunfire of the military jets in Smallville: "Faster than a speeding bullet".

- Superman getting hit by the train at the end of the Smallville battle: "More powerful than locomotive"

- Superman being able only to leap at first before figuring out how to fly: The super-leap, and the famous "Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" line.
I got the last one straight away but didn't click for the first two, nice find

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #73
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
I wasn't moved either by the Clark cape thingy....I felt emotional and it was a cute gesture considering what he was going to end up being eventually
Umm.. you sort of contradicted yourself??

Old 07-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #74
Loki882
Side-Kick

Shannon showed anger, sadness, compassion, remorse, insanity, cunny, a little sadism, determination, and a host of other villains. He comforted Faora after she broke down after seeing Krypton's destruction (Antje was great in that scene to), he regrets killing Jor-el everyday for 33 years, but thinks it had to be done and would do it again. He wants Superman on his side initially (in contrast to Superman II). His despair after the scout ship was destroyed actually made me almost sympathize with his plight. I think that he was the definition of a complex character.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #75
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I never sympathized with him, u know being human I can't, but I did see after he lost his planet (and possibly a family) he was barely keeping it together. Only thing keeping him from going crazy is how crew and the hope of bringing back Krypton; when that was gone too he went bat snap crazy.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El