The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Man Of Steel Or Superman: The Movie?
Superman: The Movie 53 37.32%
Man Of Steel 69 48.59%
Does it matter? 20 14.08%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #151
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Default Re: Man of Steel vs Superman: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
So are military personnel and cops detectives etc. The General would be able to figure it out even without the drone. And if Perry is made to be so smart he definitely would have figured it out in LnC in the 90's. Lois was give. A good reason for figuring it out, if Perry does know there is no reason other than the writers wanted it that way.
The Government will put the pieces together when the investigators start doing there thing.

1. Investigators know the Krytonians were looking for one of them living among earths population.

2. Investigators know the Krytonians attack Samllville and fought Superman in Smallville.

3. When Investigators will find out that a police officer took Lois to the Kent farm and Superman was there when the officer files his report.

4. When Investigators debrief the General, they will find out that Superman says he's from Kansas.

When you put all that together everything points to the Kent farm. They will show up at Ma Kent's door and interview her and everyone that knows her. They will look up Clark and find out he has no Birth records or his birth records have been falsified. His secret identity would crumble into the sea.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 07-14-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #152
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
It may be get stereotyped as that but I think calling the movie that is selling it short. I've said it before, Man of Steel should have been released in November or December...IMO its a couple steps above "entertaining blockbusters". Thats Pacific Rim

A few things that will make Man of Steel memborable years from now

- Excellent Science fiction feel with the technology and mythology
- Excellent costumes will age well
- character study of Clark
- Faora (Antje Traue) will be a memorable villain. "A good death is its own reward" is no kneel before Zod, but its memorable.
- Russel Crowe was awesome and memorable as Jor-El
- The Smallville fight, in terms of power and speed, is unlike any other fight on film
- Great soundtrack. An understatement really
- Killing Zod for obvious reasons. When was the last time a super hero was put in a position like that and had a reaction like that at the end of a movie? Its not often
MoS will age really well, and the great thing about it is that it keeps getting more emotionally involving on repeat viewings.
The thing that happened with STM is the accident and untimely death of Reeves has sort of immortalised him into the role he is most well known for even though half those appearances were in crap movies, and the first 2 had some shocking plot holes and terribly campy script. We tend to now overrate what was actually put on screen.
MoS is the movie that hopefully defines the current teen generations understanding of superman, and when they see it again in 10 years they'll look past the action and see the deeper story of Clark Kent.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #153
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
The Government will put the pieces together when the investigators start doing there thing.

1. Investigators know the Krytonians were looking for one of them living among earths population.

2. Investigators know the Krytonians attack Samllville and fought Superman in Smallville.

3. When Investigators will find out that a police officer took Lois to the Kent farm and Superman was there when the officer files his report.

4. When Investigators debrief the General, they will find out that Superman says he's from Kansas.

When you put all that together everything points to the Kent farm. They will show up at Ma Kent's door and interview her and everyone that knows her. They will look up Clark and find out he has no Birth records or his birth records have been falsified. His secret identity would crumble into the sea.
I'm having a feeling that Swanwick would keep the trust for Superman. Sam Lane should be in a sequel, though. That would be neat

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #154
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I recall hearing that Perry might know in the comics; isn't there also speculation that Jimmy knows? Again I don't necessarily have a problem with Perry knowing I just don't believe in MOS that it makes sense, perhaps after Clark has worked there awhile and Perry takes note of his disappearing acts. Plus Perry never saw Superman up close.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #155
dnno1
Side-Kick

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #156
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
MoS will age really well, and the great thing about it is that it keeps getting more emotionally involving on repeat viewings.
The thing that happened with STM is the accident and untimely death of Reeves has sort of immortalised him into the role he is most well known for even though half those appearances were in crap movies, and the first 2 had some shocking plot holes and terribly campy script. We tend to now overrate what was actually put on screen.
MoS is the movie that hopefully defines the current teen generations understanding of superman, and when they see it again in 10 years they'll look past the action and see the deeper story of Clark Kent.
Other than your prediction about the future, are you seriously saying that Reeve became a legendary Superman only because of his accident and after it?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #157
Loki882
Side-Kick

Reeve became legendary because he was fantastic in the role (even the comics copied his performance for a time). I believe that the same thing will happen for Heath Ledger, Robert Downey Jr, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, etc.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #158
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

As someone who remembers the movies and Reeve before the accident, perception of his take on the role and his status as THE Superman was the same before as after.

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #159
Migu-EL
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Morose View Post
I think I get it: "We won't be writing a proper love story here so call a hot guy for the main role."
Proper love story???? Seems like the good beginning of a love story to me, but I guess according to you it's not because they kissed after he saved her 3 times. I mean how unrealistic huh??? People rarely kiss right after they meet right??? I mean Policeman and Fireman save woman all the time and they never share a kiss with the woman they kiss right???? It's just funny you find it unbelievable that two attractive people sharing a kiss after a near death situation in a story about a man that is an alien that flies, has super strength, and shoots fire out of his eyes.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #160
Loki882
Side-Kick

Wasn't that the final scene in the movie Speed, it worked well there. Also, I'm pretty sure that there are many people who do much more than just kiss right after they meet, it's not a shocking thing.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #161
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migu-EL View Post
Proper love story???? Seems like the good beginning of a love story to me, but I guess according to you it's not because they kissed after he saved her 3 times. I mean how unrealistic huh??? People rarely kiss right after they meet right??? I mean Policeman and Fireman save woman all the time and they never share a kiss with the woman they kiss right???? It's just funny you find it unbelievable that two attractive people sharing a kiss after a near death situation in a story about a man that is an alien that flies, has super strength, and shoots fire out of his eyes.
Yes, having an alien with super-powers is not a free pass for gratuitousness. As other posters said, it would have been better if they developed this relationship/attraction properly in the next one. The last minute kiss is just a unnecessary cliche at this point.

I hope it's needless to say we're not talking about the movie's ruin here.

Comparing it with STM (which is the purpose of the thread), STM also had a last minute kiss but that had a better build-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Wasn't that the final scene in the movie Speed, it worked well there. Also, I'm pretty sure that there are many people who do much more than just kiss right after they meet, it's not a shocking thing.
Haven't seen Speed myself. I understand it is not a gem of cinema whose steps one would be proud to follow in.

Last edited by Senator Pleasury; 07-15-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #162
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Other than your prediction about the future, are you seriously saying that Reeve became a legendary Superman only because of his accident and after it?
It’s why I can’t take most SHH Criticisms of STM seriously. For its some of its critics, its not enough to simply say they don’t care for the movie, or have a version they prefer more. For them, there MUST be some ulterior motive to the amount of love STM gets. On the SHH! Board, no one is allowed to think that STM is worthy of the praise it gets, so accusations of nostalgia or, “Chris Reeve is only considered legendary because he became crippled” are used as reasons for why STM is so liked.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #163
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Christopher is a legend and so loved as Superman because a) he was the first movie Superman b) he was the first CB hero on the big screen and c) he was a fantastic Superman! I have heard it said that even in the bad movies he was still good in the role.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #164
Migu-EL
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes, having an alien with super-powers is not a free pass for gratuitousness. As other posters said, it would have been better if they developed this relationship/attraction properly in the next one. The last minute kiss is just a unnecessary cliche at this point.

I hope it's needless to say we're not talking about the movie's ruin here.

Comparing it with STM (which is the purpose of the thread), STM also had a last minute kiss but that had a better build-up.
My whole point is, the kiss didn't seem forced to me. I could see that they were attracted to each other. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #165
Migu-EL
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
That's my whole point.. LOL.. It was just a kiss, and it didn't seem forced or out of place considering everything that had led up to that point and the situation they had just face. I guess some other people don't see it that way, which is cool too.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #166
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
It’s why I can’t take most SHH Criticisms of STM seriously. For its some of its critics, its not enough to simply say they don’t care for the movie, or have a version they prefer more. For them, there MUST be some ulterior motive to the amount of love STM gets. On the SHH! Board, no one is allowed to think that STM is worthy of the praise it gets, so accusations of nostalgia or, “Chris Reeve is only considered legendary because he became crippled” are used as reasons for why STM is so liked.
I think this is true of pretty much any new CBM, though. Not just Superman: TM.

It's like when I dare to criticise the Nolan movies over a certain element. People get up in arms if I mention that I'd like more of a comic fantasy and respond with something along the lines of "Would you prefer Batman and Robin?!".

Hypesters are usually better than that kind of thing, but I actually think a lot of the negativity against Superman TM is a backlash against certain film critics only thinking that Donner's movie is the be-all-and-end-all of Superman. But to take it out on a classic movie that created the genre, with a lot of personality and heart, is a bit unfair.

Imagine having no "blueprint" on film to work from (Not counting Superman VS the Mole Men, or Batman 66). I doubt I'd make an original superhero film in that situation HALF as good as the original Superman movie.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #167
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
Yeah, a movie with as many emotional jabs as Man of Steel can be summed up as an "entertaining blockbuster". Why? Because the last 30 minutes is heavy on action, even though it still ends on an emotional note?

It may be get stereotyped as that but I think calling the movie that is selling it short. I've said it before, Man of Steel should have been released in November or December...IMO its a couple steps above "entertaining blockbusters". Thats Pacific Rim

A few things that will make Man of Steel memborable years from now

- Excellent Science fiction feel with the technology and mythology
- Excellent costumes will age well
- character study of Clark
- Faora (Antje Traue) will be a memorable villain. "A good death is its own reward" is no kneel before Zod, but its memorable.
- Russel Crowe was awesome and memorable as Jor-El
- The Smallville fight, in terms of power and speed, is unlike any other fight on film
- Great soundtrack. An understatement really
- Killing Zod for obvious reasons. When was the last time a super hero was put in a position like that and had a reaction like that at the end of a movie? Its not often
Not disputing your enjoyment and genuine feelings towards MOS, but what else could you call it?

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #168
JOE

I think Cavil has the potential to surpass, but as of right now Reeve still stands on top of the Superman world, IMO.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #169
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I think this is true of pretty much any new CBM, though. Not just Superman: TM.

It's like when I dare to criticise the Nolan movies over a certain element. People get up in arms if I mention that I'd like more of a comic fantasy and respond with something along the lines of "Would you prefer Batman and Robin?!".

Hypesters are usually better than that kind of thing, but I actually think a lot of the negativity against Superman TM is a backlash against certain film critics only thinking that Donner's movie is the be-all-and-end-all of Superman. But to take it out on a classic movie that created the genre, with a lot of personality and heart, is a bit unfair.

Imagine having no "blueprint" on film to work from (Not counting Superman VS the Mole Men, or Batman 66). I doubt I'd make an original superhero film in that situation HALF as good as the original Superman movie.
Yeah, some Nolan fans are terrible. Make no mistake, some of us Batman fans dislike them as much as everyone else does.

STM backlash has been going on ever since Superman Returns. It's kind of similiar to how Batman Forever suddenly became crap because of Batman and Robin. Except in this case, STM is not really connected to Sr. Not in any true sense, IMO.

You are right in saying that it happens to any well like comic book movie. There were backlashes to both TDK and The Avengers after all. I am sure there's legit criticism against STM, but most these days do it to be cool or gas up their favorite version of Superman.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #170
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

I've been hearing comments from people that S:TM is better. I am not surprised. I think people who were around back then like the feel of that movie. You think about the scene of Lois interviewing Clark on her apartment balcony, the nostalgic Smallville scenes...nostalgia does play a part in looking back at that movie. Not that's a bad thing but it's an old-fashioned, fun kind of movie, esp. the Krypton and Smallville scenes. Then it plays up the romance angle with Lois. It has the heroic first rescue of Lois in the helicopter etc.

The Superman movies reflect the period they were made. The sci-fi scenes with Brando in STM were similar to a lot of 70s sci-fi- all-white, bright costumes and Lex was a campy villain. The Clark and Lois banter was more romantic comedy.

Whereas MOS reflects today- a grungier Krypton, more serious, more sci-fi, more in line with the comics, more of a video game feel, more intense action/violence. Lois is more serious...

I think as the MOS series starts to include more of the comics mythology, stuff like Brainiac, a more serious Lex, LexCorp, more Kryptonian mythology etc. its reputation will improve. If it improves and builds its mythology, not like Donner's Superman which got more campy and less in line with the comics as the series went on, then MOS will be seen as more of a definitive Superman story.

As for the MOS vs. STM individual movies, I like both for different reasons. I still enjoy watching the old Reeve version because it is a different approach, because it's fun and old-fashioned. I like MOS for its more comic book mythology, the seriousness it takes Superman, the sci-fi...

Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #171
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I do wonder how much nostalgia plays in a ranking like this? I'm someone who never really grew up with the film so my first experience was seeing it recently actually as an adult.

So my view is a little different. I thought it was a good film but one that was a little too much of its time. I kept thinking like if I was seeing this for the 1st time in 1978 I'd think this was the best film ever but I just don't feel it has that time-less quality (aside from Reeve himself) to it. So that it hurts it in a comparison.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #172
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I still feel like this is the best line in a superhero movie, though:

Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #173
blumatic
Side-Kick

I also think MOS will age well. I feel that when it hits blu ray, and people sit and watch the movie in an environment where it's just something on TV, as opposed to watching the film in a theater and saying "This better be good", MOS will grow on more people.

If the sequel is really good and capitalizes on the themes of MOS, MOS will be seen for the good movie that it is.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #174
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
I also think MOS will age well. I feel that when it hits blu ray, and people sit and watch the movie in an environment where it's just something on TV, as opposed to watching the film in a theater and saying "This better be good", MOS will grow on more people.

If the sequel is really good and capitalizes on the themes of MOS, MOS will be seen for the good movie that it is.
That's exactly how I feel, and tbh I was exactly like that with TDK and BB.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #175
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Superman: The Movie was great for it's time. Man Of Steel is great for it's time.

Does it really matter? Both movies were great.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote