The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Old 07-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
Side-Kick

Default Macbook Pro to a Yoga 13?

I'm currently thinking about selling my 15" Macbook Pro + Nexus 10 and using that money to get a Lenovo Yoga 13.

I'm a big fan of the Yoga design, and all the reviews I've seen says it's a great ultrabook first, but has great secondary uses (as a tablet, stand, etc...) too. That's exactly the type of device I want to simplify my life. I love tablet functionality for certain instances in my everyday life, but often I don't crack open my Nexus because the laptop is just easier. Also, carrying around multiple devices is a pain, I hate it.

I've always wanted something that combined the ease of media consumption on a tablet with the ease of content-creation on a laptop. The Yoga 13 is it BUT I have a few reservations about taking the plunge:

1) I initially switched to Apple way back in 2006 with my first Macbook Pro. I loved it, best technology decision I've probably ever made. I absolutely love the ease of OSX and the seamless integration between software and hardware that only Apple can provide.

All the crashes, lagging, stuttering, and general frustrations of a owning a PC were a thing of the past when I switched. I'm currently typing on my second Macbook Pro, which is a 2010 model. It works close to perfectly but I want something lighter, and like I said before, something with the versatility to replace both my laptop and tablet.

The problem is that I'm scared of switching back to Windows. I Boot-Camped Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro and was okay, but still a Windows experience. OSX remains superior to that imho. What intrigues me about Windows 8 is the Metro UI, which is built for touch.

Anyone here with experience of switching from OSX back to Windows? Should I be worried?

2) I'm so used to the 15" screen. Because my laptop is my only full blown computer I've always been adamant that having a relatively large screen is a necessity. My whole life of owning laptops I've only owned 15" ones. If the Yoga had a 15" version I would have switched already, but downgrading to 13.3" worries me

3) Again, I'm so used to how great the Apple touchpad is that I'm worried about switching to something finicky in comparison. I don't want to have to think about, via frustration, navigating my computer. I fear with a finicky touchpad this would happen and get on my nerves.

4) I wonder when Haswell chips will be released on the Yoga line?

5) Screen resolution. I don't own a Macbook Pro with Retina Display, but my Nexus 10 has a ridiculously amazing resolution. Since the Yoga would be replacing both devices, I want a Nexus-10/Retina type of display. I wonder if the next generation Yoga will have that.

I know this was long, so if anyone read this, thanks. And I would appreciate any guidance, especially from those that switched from Macbook Pro 15" to Yoga 13.

113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: Macbook Pro to a Yoga 13?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113 View Post
The problem is that I'm scared of switching back to Windows. I Boot-Camped Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro and was okay, but still a Windows experience. OSX remains superior to that imho. What intrigues me about Windows 8 is the Metro UI, which is built for touch.

Anyone here with experience of switching from OSX back to Windows? Should I be worried?
No. I bought a MacBook Pro last year and while I love it, I still have a Windows PC. I switch back and forth every day and have no troubles

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
TheBat812
Side-Kick

I use OS at work and PC at home, and there's no trouble switching from one to the other for me. I still prefer the PC experience.

Also, the touch integration is pretty awesome. I catch myself reaching to touch the screen on other computers now, it's just become a natural reaction, haha.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
No. I bought a MacBook Pro last year and while I love it, I still have a Windows PC. I switch back and forth every day and have no troubles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I use OS at work and PC at home, and there's no trouble switching from one to the other for me. I still prefer the PC experience.

Also, the touch integration is pretty awesome. I catch myself reaching to touch the screen on other computers now, it's just become a natural reaction, haha.
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm going to go and check out the Yoga at Best Buy in person and see if I can deal with the reduced screen size. If I can then I think I'll just wait until they update the line with the Haswell chip and then buy it.

The versatility of it it's just a huge selling point.

113 is offline   Reply With Quote