The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Default Gay superhero film

I was just wondering what would draw you to a film about a gay superhero?

Basic outline would be the same - just - a gay guy gets powers and must balance saving the world while saving time for his boyfriend and the complications that arise. Or basically just like every other superhero movie just with a gay dude and dude in distress.

For fellow LGBT dudes, what would you like to see tackled in a theoretical film?

Straight dudes, what would you want to see? And if hesitant, what would have you bypass any preconceptions about going to see it in theaters?

Chicks, what would draw you to it?

Basically, how would you like to see a gay superhero movie tackled?

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Default Re: Gay superhero film

Personally, I couldn't care less. If it got good buzz, I'd see it just like any other movie. The sexuality of the characters shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Though, I can't really think of one off the top of my head that I'd like to see (there probably are, just none coming to mind immediately) but, on the flip side of this, I'd like to see Batwoman.

Snow Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

I thought they already made a gay superhero movie.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Nope, that's a straight superhero movie. That one's all on you guys.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
marcvader
Lurker #1

Other than the prerequisite love interest in every superhero which I'm growing tired of a little I don't see the hero's sexuality being of importance. If it's treated like any other cbm and not a look at us making a statement's sake then I'm cool with it. If it looks cool like others say I would probably give it a shot regardless.

marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Andrew Garfield joked about SM exploring his sexuality. I don't care about minor characters but spider-man is straight. He's had more girls than any other hero.

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Well, this thread isn't about Spidey.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
KenK
Side-Kick

I'm genuinely surprised no studio has ever thought to option The Authority.

KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Teelie
Mostly Harmless

I don't really care what a hero's sexual orientation is. Unless it somehow (?!?) contributes to their being a super hero, does it really matter?

Obviously from an equality and visibility standpoint in the real world it does matter and is important in that regard (since there are to my knowledge only a few b-list homosexual super heroes now and no a-listers) but as a hero it means nothing more than if they were straight. So I'd see them like any other super hero.

If the characters, story, effects, etc. are good then I'll go see it. If it's some poorly written piece of trash that tries to cash in on being both gay and a super hero I'd probably pass.

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Steamteck
Side-Kick

I'm going to give you as honest and straight an answer as I can here. I think the subject deserves it.

As a straight guy I less than zero interest in a gay romance subplot and lack of an attractive love interest from my perspective. It would have to win me on other ways. Just be really cool on other fronts and I would have interest. I will tell you making along running straight character gay would be an instant no sell for me.

That being said I could enjoy a story about a new or an old ( the real Alan Scott's son Obsidian for example) gay character if it were done right. I gay Alan Scott would be a no sell for me. I would see a Northstar/Aurora folm of Alpha Flight fame in an instant though.

I admit it would be an uphill battle to get me to see it though if it was a single hero film and he was gay. The indentification with the character is just weak for me. As an anthologist, I know that's my weakness but it is what it is.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
James
Built from Lego

Like the majority of other posters in this thread, I don't go and see a superhero movie for the romance. Homo or hetero, it's completely unimportant to the quality and appeal of the film.

I certainly don't trust Hollywood not to screw it up though, either by making a huge deal of out of homosexual character or filling the film with stupid jokes. By all rights a homosexual character should be handled no different than a heterosexual character.

Lego Fun

Find me on the Rockstar Social Club: ThunderGuns
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

A movie about a gay superhero doesn't do anything for me.

Now, you could have a hero, with cool powers, a neat design, a decent backstory, with badass villains, who happens to be gay.

That, I might go see.

Does anyone go to these movies for the romance?

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

If it will make people appreciate and respect the gay community more, then it would be a good idea!

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #14
Juicy J
Side-Kick

What thundercrack said. I wouldn't watch a movie about a gay superhero, but I'd watch a movie about a superhero who happens to be gay. It shouldn't be something that the film makers/studio plays up, that'd be exploitative.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

A lot of great points here.

How would you feel if one of the complications and struggles is the fear of coming out to those close to the protagonist?

One notion I'm thinking of is said hero doesn't want to be seen as a gay superhero while his boyfriend wants him to come out to the world for children everywhere. Equally showing two opinions with both having as much weight.

Basically not to popcorn it up but to have it set in our world with very realistic struggles. For example if it became known that a superhero was gay, how would political parties react?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
I was just wondering what would draw you to a film about a gay superhero?
Honestly...it has to look good. I wouldn't bother paying money to watch it if it looked like a generic film that depended on the sexuality of the protagonist to put butts in seats.

Quote:
Straight dudes, what would you want to see?
A film that is good and won't put me to sleep.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I absolutely want to see a gay superhero movie for two reasons:

1.) The LGBT community is drastically underrepresented in comic book movies. There are millions of queer kids out there watching superheroes, but not seeing anyone that represents their sexuality or sexual identity. It makes it seem like super heroism is a straight, mostly male, sandbox, and that's something comic books and movies should be rejecting.

2.) The concept of superheroes is inherently queer in itself, which could create a fascinating commentary on the genre. The idea of having to hide a secret identity, feeling like you're on the outside, and coming to terms with an identity for the betterment of yourself and those around you are very queer themes that are basic tropes for superheroes. A superhero movie with a gay protagonist could provide a commentary on these tropes, making it a more interesting superhero movie, or these tropes can help tell a good story about what it's like being queer.

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
I'm genuinely surprised no studio has ever thought to option The Authority.
Yeah, they really should. I think the hesitancy to do so though has little to nothing to do with the sexuality of Apollo and Midnighter and more to do with the risk of releasing a superhero film with characters that no one outside of comic book readers know. Watchmen was really the only film that did this in the past decade or so, and that movie was only a moderate hit.

The trouble is, to make a superhero film good in this day of age, you generally need a big effects budget. And it's hard to justify signing off on something that requires a big effects budget unless you can almost guarantee that it's going to make money. Studios do take risks on occasion, and sometimes it pays off (Avatar) and other times it doesn't (Pacific Rim).

I think The Authority might work better as an HBO/Showtime/Cinemax series. I've often felt that Game of Thrones would have never been a successful film. It didn't have the name recognition of Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings, despite also being a popular fantasy literary series. However, with a TV series, the GOT (or A Song of Ice and Fire) grew in popularity because I think people are more willing to give something a shot on the small screen these days. Putting it on the small screen also allowed for it to maintain the hard edge that the books have; a movie version would have either needed to tone down the violence and the sex in order to achieve a PG-13 rating, or risk financial failure by releasing it as an R.

The Authority could work well in this format too. A series on one of the premium channels would allow it to tell longer stories and flesh out characters more (which can help to cut back a bit on the effects budget because like GOT, more time can be spent on character-building moments than on spectacle). It would also be able to maintain the graphic nature of the comics.

Last edited by Rowsdower!; 07-16-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Well some in the gay community consider the X-Men films to be about gay superheroes. There are many parallels between homosexuals and the mutants of the Marvel universe. There are even little nods and winks in X2 towards that perception (Bobby's "coming out" to his parents, and his mom's response of "Have you ever tried not being a mutant?"). I remember reading an article that the gay community was upset that X3 wasn't "as gay" as X-Men & X2. The only X-Man that I know of who's openly gay is Colossus (so in a way, X2 & X3 are gay superhero movies).

As for a new superhero movie, with a hero created specifically for the film and not based on any existing comic book characters? That's kinda tough. Like others have said, if you make a movie about a gay superhero just for the novelty of making the superhero gay, it probably would not work. I certainly wouldn't bother to see it. But if you were to make a good superhero movie about a superhero who just happens to be gay, then I might go see it.

Incidentally, I happened to stumble across a satirical superhero comic a number of years ago in a thrift store. It was called The Gay Avenger. It was about this family of Batman style vigilantes. It was a tradition passed down through the generations that the man of the house would take on the mantle of The Gay Avenger. The tradition started way back in the 1920's during the time of mobsters like Al Capone. When the first Gay Avenger started fighting crime, the accepted definition of the word "gay" was "happy" (as in "Don we now our gay aparel"). But in the 1960's, the Gay Avenger's son was sent off to fight in Vietnam, where he lost a leg. Thus he was forced to skip his turn as The Gay Avenger, and as a result people began to forget about this masked vigilante. But the last official Gay Avenger's grandson is now of age, and is going off to college. He grew up on a farm though, in a fairly conservative rural community (and I'm not sure, but I think he was also home schooled), thus he was fairly nave. Then while at college, he dons the mask and tights and goes out to fight crime as The Gay Avenger. The first crime he thwarts is a gang of neo-nazis calling themselves The Intolerants who had busted into a fundraiser and had taken the guests hostage. The press is there and they take his picture as he proudly announces himself as the hero The Gay Avenger. However, he's completely oblivious of the fact that the fund raiser he had rescued was for the LGBT community, which leads to a whole confusion about his sexual orientation (the character's straight, and he still considers the definition of the word "Gay" to be "Happy").

I know that's not exactly the story you had in mind, but this whole subject matter just kind of reminded me of that comic book. Unfortunately I didn't buy it at the time (I didn't even have the $0.50 it would've cost me at that time), and I have no idea of who wrote or published it. I tried googling it once. All I found was slash fiction of Marvel's Avengers, with Thor getting it on with Iron Man, and Black Widow getting it on with She-Hulk. Anyway, I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #20
Lord
All Mighty

Give me a good movie and i could care less about the characters sexuality

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #21
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Let me ask this.....Are there any mainstream superheroes that are gay? Not counting the new Green Lantern. I mean superheroes that have always been gay? If not, then I don't think I would want to see a movie like that. Let's face it, the movies (about superheroes) that are going to make it to the big screen are 9 times out of 10 mainstream superheroes. If they were to just make up a superhero and if it were to actually be filmed, then I just don't see it doing that well in the box office.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
marcvader
Lurker #1

Since when has Colosus been gay?

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
Old 07-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #23
Tanin
Side-Kick

Wiccan is the only one I can think of of the top of my head.

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #24
marcvader
Lurker #1

Northstar too but I never heard of Colosus being gay.

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
Old 07-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #25
Tanin
Side-Kick

Ultimate Colossus is gay Not the 616

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote