The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Nintendo

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #901
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Default Re: WiiU - Part 1

Yeah, that's a fair enough point, but Sega never had a secondary strong market to fall back on. While the PSP brand has created a decent user base, Nintendo still pretty much owns the handheld market. If they ever deem it needed to drop out of the console race, it would not be hard for them to go handheld only. It'd mean a very big restructuring and rebranding, but it'd be very doable for them.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #902
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
You know that there was a time when people said the same thing about any Sega franchises showing up on a Nintendo console and look where we're at now. Sometimes cold days in hell happen
As Tron said, Sega had no fall back. Nintendo has the 3DS. It's becoming a smaller market compared to the Game Boy era but it's still there and viable for them. Short of Microsoft buying Nintendo, I strongly doubt you'll ever see them make a game for the Xbox One. I think they'd be more inclined to make a game for the PS4 because Sony is a Japanese company. I see them more likely to turn their IPs into iOS and Android games than making them on another console.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #903
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Yeah, that's a fair enough point, but Sega never had a secondary strong market to fall back on. While the PSP brand has created a decent user base, Nintendo still pretty much owns the handheld market. If they ever deem it needed to drop out of the console race, it would not be hard for them to go handheld only. It'd mean a very big restructuring and rebranding, but it'd be very doable for them.
yeah but would that be enough? They are doing well in the handheld market, but its not exactly growing. Im sure they'll do fine if all they did was the 3DS, but that doesnt exactly give them much room to expand and they have so many franchises under their belt, that it really would be a waste to just limit themselves to just that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
As Tron said, Sega had no fall back. Nintendo has the 3DS. It's becoming a smaller market compared to the Game Boy era but it's still there and viable for them. Short of Microsoft buying Nintendo, I strongly doubt you'll ever see them make a game for the Xbox One. I think they'd be more inclined to make a game for the PS4 because Sony is a Japanese company. I see them more likely to turn their IPs into iOS and Android games than making them on another console.
That would still equate to Nintendo IPs on a non-Nintendo console, which is what I was saying. Nintendo games as iOS/Android games would be nice but that would be undercutting their handheld market and considering thats the division thats doing the best, it wouldnt be a wise decision to give people other options for Nintendo gaming on the move. If they were to ever get out of the home console race, mobile gaming doesnt seem like a suitable venture unless they were planning on getting out of the handheld market as well.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #904
Soapy
It's happening again...

I'll reiterate that I think Nintendo's next hardware should be a console/handheld hybrid. Like a supercharged 3DS that you could hook up to your TV and play with a controller.

Regarding Nintendo going third party, I'm totally fine with it. In fact I would prefer it. The more people that are able to play Nintendo's games, the better. And I think working with Microsoft and Sony would really, really help them out with online stuff.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #905
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Quote:
yeah but would that be enough? They are doing well in the handheld market, but its not exactly growing. Im sure they'll do fine if all they did was the 3DS, but that doesnt exactly give them much room to expand and they have so many franchises under their belt, that it really would be a waste to just limit themselves to just that
Well, no, obviously it wouldn't be as simple as just switching to handheld. The company and brand would be restructured pretty significantly. That theoretical Nintendo would probably be a radically different one than what we know of it today. But I don't know, I see them doing that rather than going third party. Just running with the Sega example, for instance, going third party has done little for them in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I'll reiterate that I think Nintendo's next hardware should be a console/handheld hybrid. Like a supercharged 3DS that you could hook up to your TV and play with a controller.
Sounds like they're on the way with the Wii U with that off TV play and such.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #906
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
That would still equate to Nintendo IPs on a non-Nintendo console, which is what I was saying.
I know, my point was that it would be the lesser of two evils for them. I still think Nintendo is too proud to ever let Sony and especially Microsoft have any of their games.

Quote:
Nintendo games as iOS/Android games would be nice but that would be undercutting their handheld market and considering thats the division thats doing the best, it wouldnt be a wise decision to give people other options for Nintendo gaming on the move. If they were to ever get out of the home console race, mobile gaming doesnt seem like a suitable venture unless they were planning on getting out of the handheld market as well.
I would never expect them to release something like a full-fledged Pokemon or Mario game for iOS or Android. They'd be more in line with your run-of-the-mill mobile games like Temple Run and Angry Birds.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #907
Benstamania
Shot first.

Quote:

Regarding Nintendo going third party, I'm totally fine with it. In fact I would prefer it. The more people that are able to play Nintendo's games, the better. And I think working with Microsoft and Sony would really, really help them out with online stuff.

yup, I've said before the next hand held should have an hdmi port that would allow you to hook it to the TV to play your ha. wS in HD.

If Nintendo went 3rd party.. I see them working with Sony.. maybe not so much with MS.

Mostly because they're Japanese companies.. and MS, more so with the Xbone doesn't seem to are about Japan.

Revelation 22:20
Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #908
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Semi-portable consoles are nothing new. SEGA experimented with them, but then, technology has come a long way.

Still, a handheld console with the power of a Gamecube would be impressive.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #909
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, no, obviously it wouldn't be as simple as just switching to handheld. The company and brand would be restructured pretty significantly. That theoretical Nintendo would probably be a radically different one than what we know of it today. But I don't know, I see them doing that rather than going third party. Just running with the Sega example, for instance, going third party has done little for them in the long run.
Well its kept them alive. They probably wouldn't exist in any capacity today had they not switched to third party. They'd either have sold their IPs off like THQ just did or simply put them in the vault forever. I wouldn't say its done little for them.

Quote:
Sounds like they're on the way with the Wii U with that off TV play and such.
if they were going to do that, now really would have been the perfect time to enact that. People would be forgiving of the Wii-U's inferior specs to the next gen systems bc it was also handheld. But hey, watch the minute Nintendo does something like that, Sony announces a new version of the Vita with video out

Old 07-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #910
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Quote:
Well its kept them alive. They probably wouldn't exist in any capacity today had they not switched to third party. They'd either have sold their IPs off like THQ just did or simply put them in the vault forever. I wouldn't say its done little for them.
True, but they've not exactly been prosperous in the long run either. If they would've had the fall back market of the handhelds, it may have been better for them to restructure and stick to that. It's hard to say.

The thing about this whole third party theoretical discussion comes down this: would Nintendo keep their handhelds, and farm their franchises out to third parties for other consoles? I can't see them doing that. I mean, maybe, but it's one of those things that we can't for sure until it happens (if it does). But I will say, with a lot of certainty, that they won't give up that handheld market to go third party. It's too successful for them, and handheld gaming is quickly becoming the new norm for Japan.

Quote:
if they were going to do that, now really would have been the perfect time to enact that. People would be forgiving of the Wii-U's inferior specs to the next gen systems bc it was also handheld. But hey, watch the minute Nintendo does something like that, Sony announces a new version of the Vita with video out
I'm guessing the tech just isn't there yet, more than anything. It seems to me that they wanted to do something like what people are saying with Off TV play, but couldn't make the leap just yet.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #911
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:

I'm guessing the tech just isn't there yet, more than anything. It seems to me that they wanted to do something like what people are saying with Off TV play, but couldn't make the leap just yet.
well the tech is there; Nintendo just isn't utilizing it. With the PSP, you could connect it you a tv and even sync it with your Dualshock 3 to use as a home console. Obviously that wasn't ideal bc the resolution was so low, but it was possible. The Vita is much more powerful and currently capable of early PS3 graphics. I would bet money that a revision of the console will allow you to do the same thing. Throw in cloud gaming via Gaikai and remote play of every PS4 game, it becomes capable of even a whole lot more. If and when they add HDMI support to the handheld, we'll see that handheld/console hybrid. The PSP already showed us that it is technically possible

Old 07-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #912
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I also think that the PlayStation crowd is more likely to buy Nintendo games than the Xbox crowd. Microsoft tried to get some of the Nintendo crowd when they bought Rare, but it turned out that their consumer base just weren't interested in their output and the Nintendo crowd stayed with Nintendo.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #913
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I also think that the PlayStation crowd is more likely to buy Nintendo games than the Xbox crowd. Microsoft tried to get some of the Nintendo crowd when they bought Rare, but it turned out that their consumer base just weren't interested in their output and the Nintendo crowd stayed with Nintendo.
Probably some truth to this. The Playstation crowd are still a lot more single player focused than the Xbox guys.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #914
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:

Agreed with all of this.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #915
zenith16
Side-Kick

Club Nintendo 2013 elite members get swanky rewards

(2 hours ago)

Nintendo has announced the elite rewards for its platinum and gold level Club Nintendo participants. Platinum members may choose between a three-poster set or a The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask soundtrack, while gold gifts include a 2014 calendar or a download of Super Smash Bros., Warioware D.I.Y. Showcase, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, Super Mario Land or Sakurai Samurai.

Club Nintendo is an incentive program where coins are earned through registering Nintendo products and participating in surveys. Those coins are then redeemed for gifts – platinum status is achieved when a Club Nintendo member gathers 600 coins through the program, while 300 coins achieves gold status.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #916
zenith16
Side-Kick

Best Buy: Wii U Pro Controller for $25 today, MLB 13 for $20

(57 minutes ago)

If you've been looking for a Wii U Pro Controller, today may be the day to pull the trigger. As Best Buy's deal of the day, it's only 25 bucks, half the usual price. As Dealzon notes, the controller is sold out for shipping, but still available for in-store pickup.

The retailer also has a great deal on MLB 13: The Show, which we awarded a whopping 5 stars back in March. The PlayStation 3 version has been marked down to $20, while the Vita version is only $10. Like the Pro Controller, the Vita version is no longer available for shipping, but in-store pickup is still an option if your local Best Buy has it in stock.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #917
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
Club Nintendo 2013 elite members get swanky rewards

(2 hours ago)

Nintendo has announced the elite rewards for its platinum and gold level Club Nintendo participants. Platinum members may choose between a three-poster set or a The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask soundtrack, while gold gifts include a 2014 calendar or a download of Super Smash Bros., Warioware D.I.Y. Showcase, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, Super Mario Land or Sakurai Samurai.

Club Nintendo is an incentive program where coins are earned through registering Nintendo products and participating in surveys. Those coins are then redeemed for gifts – platinum status is achieved when a Club Nintendo member gathers 600 coins through the program, while 300 coins achieves gold status.
I may get that Sakura Samurai game. Since I'm moving soon (and no idea what the address will be) I don't want anything that has to be mailed, and all of those other 3DS download games I already have downloaded.

Was really hoping for some more awesome rewards, tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Lauper
Taffy butt! You have a taffy butt!
There's treasure in that butt
I want that taffy butt!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #918
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

So, is Microsoft now making Nintendo controllers?

Old 07-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #919
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

The **** you talking about?

Quote:
Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #920
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, I'd assume there would be a law suit otherwise.

Be pretty damn funny if Microsoft made an Xbox remote with a nunchuk accessory. Seems only fair.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #921
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Oh, yeah, I guess they are similar. But no, I doubt it's lawsuit worthy. If that were the case, every third party controller producer would've been sued out of business a long time ago.

Quote:
Old 07-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #922
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

True, but it's like not even similar, they are almost virtually identical, it's clearly not a coincidence, or a natural evolution like the Playstation controller.

This, I could buy:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I guess I'm just kind of underwhelmed, considering this is the same company that brought us the crazy N64 controller.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #923
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

The GC controller's design was kind of ass, so I'm glad they didn't go that route. I mean, honestly, I'm not bothered. You can get controllers designed similar to DS3 for 360 and vice versa. Not a big deal.

Quote:
Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #924
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post

Well, I'd assume there would be a law suit otherwise.

Be pretty damn funny if Microsoft made an Xbox remote with a nunchuk accessory. Seems only fair.
well there's also the issue of what sony did with the their version of a motion controller too which looked alot like the wii nun chuck controller. The only difference was that glowing ball on their remote version of theirs. but they look really similar with just minor differences . any way no one should have a problem if that can be overlooked so should this. it's just not the first time this has happened.

This Week In Sales: Pikmin 3 And Luigi Lift Wii U Sales. July 17, 2013 . 1:00pm

Last week, Nintendo released the first of what they say will be a slate of Wii U games that will help turn the system’s fortunes around—Pikmin 3.

source: siliconera

Last edited by zenith16; 07-17-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #925
zenith16
Side-Kick

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams envisions itself on Wii U next month

(2 hours ago)

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is set to weave onto Wii U very soon, if everything goes to plan. A Black Forest Games spokesperson told us the retro-revival platformer has been submitted to Nintendo and the studio is currently awaiting feedback; if all goes well it's eShop city in August.

Black Forest's follow-up to 1987 Mario-a-like Giana Sisters came to XBLA and PSN this year after finding success on Steam Greenlight, and the Wii U version completes the console set. Meanwhile, the German studio is knee-deep in Kickstarter for its co-op run-and-gunner Ravensdale, which at the time of writing was at $33,500 of its $500K goal with 25 days to go.

source: JoyStiq

Closed Thread