The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which is the best superhero trilogy?
The Blade Trilogy 2 1.04%
The X-Men Trilogy 8 4.17%
Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy 10 5.21%
The Dark Knight Trilogy 147 76.56%
The Iron Man Trilogy 25 13.02%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #76
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Default Re: Best Superhero Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I think even if third movies are good, fans expectations are too high for anything to ever live up to them. That is why actually good threequels (they do exist) like ROTJ, BTTF3, Bourne Ultimatum and, yes, TDKR get **** on to an ever extensive degree. They are all good movies but because none were the best movie in their respective trilogy, they are unduly hated.

I would include IM3, as I enjoyed it. However, the Mandarin twist makes that hard. While I enjoyed that as a fan of films, it genuinely is a problem for comic readers who were anticipating that.
Bourne Ultimatum gets crapped on? Did not realize this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Definitely the Nolan trilogy by virtue of having a decent 3rd movie. For me it would have been Raimi's Spider-man as I absolutely love the first two movies but I was so disappointed with the 3rd movie there is no way I can give the trilogy the nod over Nolan. I completely blame Arad for that **** up, Sam had earned the right to make HIS movie.

No Venom means no black costume, means no dancing means better movie.
Sandman was atrocious too though. That entire part of the story was completely Raimi's fault. The retcon with Sandman being Uncle Ben's killer has to be one of the worst retcons in the genre.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #77
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
Sandman was atrocious too though. That entire part of the story was completely Raimi's fault. The retcon with Sandman being Uncle Ben's killer has to be one of the worst retcons in the genre.
Not to mention he was bound to have this little sad music while opening his daughter's portrait over and over and over.

And all the dancing was pure Raimi's "humor."

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #78
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Bourne Ultimatum gets crapped on? Did not realize this.

Never underestimate the number of idiots on the internet.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #79
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

And who came up with the idea of the butler conveniently telling Harry about how his dad really died? The Uncle Ben/Sandman retcon was terrible, but the butler/Harry retcon was right there in the same ballpark. Nice writing, Raimi Brothers!

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #80
rayc1971
Side-Kick

this shouldn't even be asked darknight trilogy hands down.iron man is the only thing close but ironman 2 was so awful.

rayc1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #81
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think even if third movies are good, fans expectations are too high for anything to ever live up to them. That is why actually good threequels (they do exist) like ROTJ, BTTF3, Bourne Ultimatum and, yes, TDKR get **** on to an ever extensive degree. They are all good movies but because none were the best movie in their respective trilogy, they are unduly hated.

I would include IM3, as I enjoyed it. However, the Mandarin twist makes that hard. While I enjoyed that as a fan of films, it genuinely is a problem for comic readers who were anticipating that.
This is kind of off-topic, but I could have sworn a lot of people considered it the best Bourne movie.

If there is hate towards that movie I am pretty sure it is coming from a very loud minority.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #82
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Bourne Ultimatum is totally the best Bourne movie, imo. And if that were considered a superhero trilogy (which it should be, when you think about it), it would totally get my vote here.

Anyhoo, the TDK trilogy remains the best on this poll for me. Now if the IM trilogy was IM/Avengers/IM3, it would have some serious competition, but sadly, IM2 exists, lol.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #83
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

I hate it when what could have been an awesome trilogy is ruined by one movie (not referring to IM2 by the way).

I cannot decide which movie I like better The Bourne Identity or Ultimatum. I rate all three movies in the trilogy similarly though.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #84
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Well Spider-Man 3 ruined the Rami series. While I was disappointed in TDKR it's still a good film in my opinion. As I Spider-Man fan I hate SM3 but I'd take it over IM3. The Mandarin was worse than any SM3 villain by far.

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #85
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
And who came up with the idea of the butler conveniently telling Harry about how his dad really died? The Uncle Ben/Sandman retcon was terrible, but the butler/Harry retcon was right there in the same ballpark. Nice writing, Raimi Brothers!
Worst. Butler. Ever.

Quote:
Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #86
Steamteck
Side-Kick

All of them crapped out at some point but each had at least one which was excellent. Its tough. Spider-Man had two very good movies peaking a 2 but Iron man had a much stronger first movie and weaker but not aweful 2nd one and both had a dog of a third. Iron man for me just barely edges out Spider-Man.

1. Iron Man Trilogy (2 out of 3)
2. Spider-Man Trilogy(2 out of 3)
3. X-men trilogy(2 out of 3)
4. Blade Trilogy(2 out of 3)
5. Nolan's Batman Trilogy(1 out of 3)

Last edited by Steamteck; 02-18-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #87
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

My favorite trilogy is Raimi's Spider-man series. Part 1 was an excellent origin film,part 2 ranks as one of the best comic book films ever and part 3...while full of flaws,is always entertaining and in my opinion,is not as bad as some make it to be.
But the best is Nolan's Batman trilogy,although I was disappointed with TDKR. It was a good film,but a major step down from TDK(which I consider one of the genre's best as well).

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #88
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man
3. Iron Man
4. X-Men
5. Blade

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #89
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

The Dark Knight Trilogy, and it's not even close.

It has, by far, the highest critical acclaim of any trio in the genre and the most fan approval/appeal.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #90
InJustice
Side-Kick

This is really not even close. I wish the creative teams made a better 3rd movie for many of these series, as that would make the poll that much closer (Except for IM, after the first IM film, the quality really went downhill. I can't speak for Blade since I've never seen it).

InJustice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 AM   #91
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

None of these trilogies is perfect 3/3, each of them has a film that
is weaker than the others.

Here's the way I see it.....

1. Dark Knight trilogy: The best overall.
Batman Begins = brought Batman back from oblivion. Not perfect but
a damn good start, and worth its score on RT.

The Dark Knight = best superhero movie ever. Elevates the whole
genre. Simply magic.

The Dark Knight rises = it was the final chapter we needed, but not
the one we deserved. Had some good bits, and was entertaining when you see it the first time, but on subsequent viewings the flaws become more and more apparent. Good film, but doesn't reach the heights of TDK. Still solid performance by Bale, backed up by a slinky Hathaway, an emotional Caine, a stoic Oldman, a confused JGL, and a mumbling Hardy still works. Great cameos by Neeson and Murphy.

2. Spider-Man, not as great as TDK, but still a pretty decent set of films
around one of the most iconic super-heroes.

Spider-Man = wow ! didn't think Spidey would work on the big screen,
yeah it's silly in bits, but boy is it fun, and Dafoe was a great GG.

Spider Man 2 = raised the bar quite a bit for super-hero fight scenes,
who would have thought that Doctor Octopus would actually work in live action.
Although the whole I'm Spider-Man, oh I don't want to be Spider-Man thing was kind of annoying.

Spider Man 3 = if they'd cut out about 30 minutes it would have been perfect, I enjoyed evil Peter Parker, and the way they were faithful to the first time he comprehensively defeats venom (from the comics). A good resolution to the Harry- Peter -MJ trilogy, and like the first film, ends in a funeral. But it works. If they'd just not bothered with the Sandman.....

3. Iron Man: essentially the greatness of the first film makes up for
pretty crappy sequels.
Iron Man = wow ! Personally, I think it rivals TDK as contender for greatest superhero movie (although I'm also keen on MOS). A fantastic film, really enjoyable, well paced, and RDJ's Tony Stark routine is fresh.

Iron Man 2 = yawn. Too long, Rourke was awful as Whiplash, and

Iron Man 3 = hated it. I know that the Mandarin Twist worked for some, and the whole Killian "I'm the Mandarin" thing, and the panic attacks, and the convenient resolution of all the character points in a single montage at the end of the film.
Anyway, not my thing. No disrespect to those that enjoyed it.
RDJ's Tony Stark routine is now old news and kind of irritating.

4. X-Men=

X-Men: yeah, it was okay. McKellen and Stewart were pretty impressive in their roles. Jackman's Wolverine was quite likeable, hadn't got all dark and conflicted. Pretty good overall for first live action X-men outing.

X2 = again, pretty good. Strong cast. The Source material "God loves, Man Kills" was my favourite Xmen story, ever, and IMO the best Xmen graphic novel. Not a complicated or convoluted storyline, just a simple story about hate and fear. I think they could have stayed closer to the
original storyline and ended up with a better film - they kind of tried to do
a bit too much. Personally, I think people overrate Singer's achievements in these films, as he had an amazing cast to work with.

Last Stand= I was in the minority, I actually liked the film. Especially the bit where Jean disintegrates Xavier. All in all, not the best ending, but a pretty good one. Not a bad adaptation of the dark phoenix saga, but
probably could have been done better. (I'm with Kevin Smith on this one,
Brett Ratner was a ****ing genius compared to Bryan Singer, when we compare this film, which was okay but not great, to that awful piece of ****, Superman Returns).

You kind of have to add in X-Men First Class: actually better than the previous films. They rocked that 60's vibe really well.

I think what lets the films down is that a lot of important X-characters only get lip service -particularly Cyclops- strong performances by McKellen and Stewart are really the heart and soul of these movies though. If there was a main character it would have been Wolverine, but he's better when he has a sense of humour (the Wolverine movies were pretty crappy, in large part because he was such a boring lead, as he has takes himself waaayyy too seriously). Wolvie's cameo in First class was better than all his appearances in his own films - I just can't feel sorry for a guy who's biggest problem is that he can't get sick, grows old very slowly, can smoke and drink as much as he likes and heals every injury- boo hoo !)

BTW, not a superhero trilogy, but have to agree that Bourne was pure awesomeness, and it breaks the trilogy curse, as Bourne ultimatum is the best by far, and one of the best action films of all time.

In terms of trilogies, LOTR probably the best IMO, as its the most consistent in terms of quality. The first movie is a great character drama/fantasy/action film that sets up the tension for the whole film, the second film is a bit aimless but exciting and Gollum is fantastic, and the third film is pure payoff on every level, I have no doubt it will stand the test of time, ten years later and its still amazing - I own the extended version and other than the skull avalanche, it's magic.

Something that both Bourne and LOTR had in common was that the final movie was the strongest, which is ideally how we'd all like a trilogy to be (kind of the Matrix trilogy in reverse).

I'm hoping Days of Future past is as good as it has the potential to be.

BTW, great thread !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 AM   #92
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Hmmm. This is a toughie.

I'll be rating them as the thread title asks, as "Best" rather than my favourite.

Pretty much all of the third movies are let downs. My order is based off of the combined quality of the first and second movies.

TDK is excellent and BB is very good. Blade 2 is great with a very good first movie. X2 and SM2 are excellent with okay first movies. Iron Man is excellent with a lousy second movie so...

The Dark Knight Trilogy
Blade Trilogy
X-Men Trilogy
Spider-Man Trilogy
Iron Man Trilogy

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #93
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Dark Knight
Iron Man
X-Men
Spider-Man

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #94
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
The Dark Knight rises = it was the final chapter we needed, but not the one we deserved.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #95
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

I never liked the "Hero we need, not the one we deserved" line
And the repeated paraphrasing of the line is overdone

Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #96
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I never liked the "Hero we need, not the one we deserved" line
And the repeated paraphrasing of the line is overdone
This is the reply SHH needed, but not the one SHH deserved.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #97
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I see quite a few not even counting the Blade Trilogy (the first marvel trilogy) quite disappointing

Anyway I thought I'd elaborate my ranking a bit better and switch it a bit upon reflection.

The Dark Knight Trilogy

The Dark Knight Trilogy has the most well made superhero movie with TDK a great opening movie that really reinvented the character for cinema and a disappointing and messy but entertaining third.

X-Men Trilogy

X-Men was good really nailed the theme and made the story have an impact. The dialogue is some of the best in the genre and casting was superb almost all around. But the fights are meh and small. The attraction is the characters and their world and it delivered that well

X2 is IMO the best marvel movie. Aside from almost every action scene being memorable and exillerating the themes and story continued from the first and delved more into how humans see mutants.
The juggling of the characters I thought was excellent they did what comics did when there's a big lot of team members they split them into squads. Seeing Logan out of his element with the X-kids was humorous and fun and seeing the women take the main job was cool.
A sad and somber ending caps it off perfectly

X3 was disappointing, the death of Cyke wasn't appreciated but in the movieverse he wasn't that main. Xaviers death was excellent and highly emotional. They dropped the ball on Phoenix since couldn't decide which story to tell, the cure or phoenix and it hurt both

Blade Trilogy

Blade is a little dated but a solid flick. Blade 2 ranks almost among the best superhero sequels, imo
The third is okay but suffers from the poor villains and the nightstalkers stealing the attention

Spider-Man Trilogy

Spider-Man 1 like Blade feels dated the story was good nothing that powerful until the end where Peter denied himself what he wants for the greater good and the drama with Harry/Spider-Man. Goblin was great, suit and all and the action was decent with a great final fight

SM2 for me is the second best Margel movie. It amps up the villain, action and story to their peaks. Pure comic book page come to life while retaining heart and emotion and drama. The characters grew into the roles much more and it was just immensely sweet and satisfying to have MJ come to Peter at the end.

SM3 tried to do too much and instead of juggling them they fell to the floor entertaining in parts but disappointing and frustrating overall

Iron Man Trilogy

The Iron Man Trilogy had an excellent first movie (among the bests like X2 & SM2) but sequel worse than all the first entries of all the listed trilogies and a third not much better than the other thirds.

So of the first movies:

1. Batman Begins
2. Iron Man
3. X-Men
4. Blade
5. Spider-Man

of the second movies:

1. The Dark Knight
2. X2
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Blade 2
5. Iron Man 2

of the third movies:

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Blade Trinity
3. X3
4. Iron Man 3
5. Spider-Man 3

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 01-13-2014 at 03:36 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #98
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

The Christopher Nolan Batman film by far is the best out of that list, even though the last film is disappointing. However, the Dark Knight (which I finally saw recently) is the best of the bunch. I can see why Heath Ledger got all of the accolades he deserved.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #99
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Instead of just doing individual film stand-offs or series, I am including all the superhero trilogies.

Of Note: I am only including those that are made with the intent of being (or ending as) a trilogy. So while there is a Superman III and Batman Forever, those films were episodic and followed up by fourth installments meant to be a continuation and not a revisit.

So please vote and rank.

For me:

1. The Dark Knight Trilogy
2. Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy
3. The Iron Man Trilogy
4. The X-Men Trilogy
5. The Blade Trilogy

I know I may get some flack for putting Raimi's so high, but as flawed as SM3 is, it never felt boring or lazy like IM2 and X3 did to me. So, it gets higher because all three films were high-minded, even if only the first two were truly good.

Please post and comment.
Agreed with your list. I'm not sure about 3 and 4. i flipflop between liking X-Men and Iron Man more

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #100
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
I see quite a few not even counting the Blade Trilogy (the first marvel trilogy) quite disappointing
Speaking for myself
I saw the second half of the first Blade movie, bits and pieces of the second movie, only a trailer of the third movie
Not interested enough to watch more of the trilogy