The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #76
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Stealth Express of Doom News & Discussion Thread: - Part 5

It seems like the reviewers who have issues mainly have it with the third act. To be honest, I was wondering a bit about that myself once we saw the image of the giant mech samurai robot. I've always been a fan of the more grounded, personal, and emotional climaxes/action sequences in films over large grandiose spectacle. It's why Rob Roy still has my favorite sword fight ever in a film. (Don't get me wrong, sometimes spectacle is a blast too, see Avengers). But the reason I loved the original Claremont mini so much was because it was so toned down in comparison to other Wolverine stories. The climactic fight in the story is just Shingin with a sword against Wolverine.

And while it seems we will be getting that fight, it looks like they feel the need to include the larger more over the top action sequence with the mech drone. Now, I could be wrong, and maybe the Shingen fight is the climax (which I hope), but if it isn't and they go for the more over the top robot fight for the final, I could see how some would be offset by the tone, especially if the rest of the film is more toned down in comparison.

Still, I'm really pumped for this film. MOS had mixed reviews and I really liked it, and TW seems to be getting better initial reviews then MOS.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #77
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

I usually don't follow critics opinion on a movie, but they do give a general consensus 9/10 times. MoS is probably the only movie this year they went complete 180 with my opinion, but from the looks of it Wolverine seems to be slightly better than origins. Haven't seen any critic talk or commend on the action sequences and most seems to have a problem with the third act. They only talk about character development and plot, which is beating a dead horse at this point.

I am guessing 50s -65s RT
seems like this won't be the Wolverine we deserve, but the one we need right now.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #78
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I'd say FC already did that
Except the main plot issue of FC was precisely another "saving the world" story. It did focus more on character though. But I think Danoyse's point is that sometimes those grand "saving the world" plots make it harder to really focus on character.

FC did a nice job juggling both. But it still had that aspect in there.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #79
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Except the main plot issue of FC was precisely another "saving the world" story. It did focus more on character though. But I think Danoyse's point is that sometimes those grand "saving the world" plots make it harder to really focus on character.

FC did a nice job juggling both. But it still had that aspect in there.
Yep, that's exactly the point I was trying to make. They messed up so many things that were the core of Logan's character in Origins - the way the Weapon X experiment was glossed over, the silly adamantium bullet thing - it's good to see that this movie appears to be trying to fix that by making it more character driven.

I loved FC, and I love a good saving the world movie. But I like this kind of storytelling just as much, as long as its done right.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #80
Loki882
Side-Kick

The Wolverine SHOULD be more of a character piece. Let DOFP take care of the "saving the world" plot, it's much more suited to that type of story.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #81
Joe Stubbs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslayer101 View Post
Haven't seen any critic talk or commend on the action sequences
Umm...

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/reviews/46...e-film-review/

Quote:
stupendously choreographed fight scenes
http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/the-wolver..._campaign=news

Quote:
Itís also worth pointing out how well the action is handled in the film.
http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=137280

Quote:
the movieís highpoint, a creative showdown on top of a speeding Shinkansen.
http://celluloidheroes.co.uk/review-the-wolverine

Quote:
the action is refreshingly tactile, with well-choreographed fight scenes some genuinely impressive blockbuster set-pieces (the fight atop a bullet train is particularly dazzling)
The action sounds pretty good to me!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #82
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I think it was an Entertainment Weekly recap of one of the trailers where they explained how the Japanese saga in the comics was the series that broke out Logan as a serious character, since before then he'd really just been the "drunk uncle character of the X-Men".

Old 07-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #83
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I think it was an Entertainment Weekly recap of one of the trailers where they explained how the Japanese saga in the comics was the series that broke out Logan as a serious character, since before then he'd really just been the "drunk uncle character of the X-Men".
Yeah. Actually, in the collection of the story, Frank Miller has a really cool foreward where he talks about how he didn't want to work on the character because until Claremont came along he was just a little psycho with claws. (Ironic now, given Miller's current style of writing).

Claremont started to flesh out Wolverine during his X-men run, but it was this mini that really made the character interesting. It was the story that really highlighted Logan's struggle between his animalistic fury and his desire to be an honorable warrior.

And that's something I'll be interested to see if they tackle. The one thing I was always profoundly disappointed at, in regards to film Wolverine, was that none of the movies did a good job of showing the struggle between the animal and the man that goes on inside Logan daily. And that is the recurring theme to his character! It's what makes him so interesting. While I'm interested in this whole mortality aspect, I really hope that this film does a good job of displaying man vs. beast theme, because that was what the original Japan story was about.

here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #84
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Meanwhile, in NYC....

Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #85
BoredGuy
Killing Time

yeah i found it funny they paid so much lip service to him being an "animal" in Origins, but they never showed it in any way, shape or form. He was a super nice guy before Weapon X, and was still super nice after Weapon X. The closest he came to being an animal was killing a few dudes on his way out the door after getting the adamantium

Old 07-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #86
Joe Stubbs
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's really cool.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #87
ToilesHeroiques
Side-Kick

I saw the movie this morning.
For most people, "It's a good surprise."
Not a masterpiece. But a good movie.

+ : Hugh Jackman, the women of his life (Yukio, Jean, Mariko ), Japan, the post-credit scene (the best since... a long time), the scale (0 destruction after MOS and PR... it's a good thing)

- : Silver Samurai CGI, Viper

The fights are not really epic. But that's because the story is intimate. And it works pretty well.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #88
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I really hope the jean thing isn't pushed to far, she wasn't like his ex gf or anything

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 07-17-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #89
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToilesHeroiques View Post
I saw the movie this morning.
For most people, "It's a good surprise."
Not a masterpiece. But a good movie.

+ : Hugh Jackman, the women of his life (Yukio, Jean, Mariko ), Japan, the post-credit scene (the best since... a long time), the scale (0 destruction after MOS and PR... it's a good thing)

- : Silver Samurai CGI, Viper

The fights are not really epic. But that's because the story is intimate. And it works pretty well.
Yeah that seems to be the general consensus thus far, that most people just like it, of course there are some that hate it and some that really love it, but so far most of the reviews think it's a decent film.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #90
icekid
Side-Kick

I'm glad to hear great things about the movie, but there's one thing that's pretty fundamental to the plot that has me confused, why would Logan want a cure now, where in X3 he didn't even bat an eye at it. The whole point of that movie was the fact there was a cure! It has to be more than just the death of Jean, because when the cure came to be in X3, Jean was still dead, and HE was the one badgering Cyclops about moving on!

Old 07-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #91
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekid View Post
It has to be more than just the death of Jean, because when the cure came to be in X3, Jean was still dead, and HE was the one badgering Cyclops about moving on!
X3 is a funny one, its starts out wolverine is over the death of jean but cyclops is a wreck, then she comes back and kills scott, then jean tries to bonk wolverine which must have made him fall in love with her... i guess and she become his love interest of the film, he then kills her and jean has a tomb stone next to scotts in some romantic type gesture for the couple

like i said i hope she ain't treated like an ex gf, its abit forced

Old 07-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #92
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekid View Post
I'm glad to hear great things about the movie, but there's one thing that's pretty fundamental to the plot that has me confused, why would Logan want a cure now, where in X3 he didn't even bat an eye at it. The whole point of that movie was the fact there was a cure! It has to be more than just the death of Jean, because when the cure came to be in X3, Jean was still dead, and HE was the one badgering Cyclops about moving on!
Because at the end of X3, he'd been forced to kill Jean, which is what he's struggling with at the start of this film. It's the part he'd played in her death.

And if what I've skimmed of the reviews is correct, he loses his healing factor because he's been poisoned, not because he's actively looking for a cure.. At least that's how I took it to mean.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #93
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
X3 is a funny one, its starts out wolverine is over the death of jean but cyclops is a wreck, then she comes back and kills scott, then jean tries to bonk wolverine which must have made him fall in love with her... i guess and she become his love interest of the film, he then kills her and jean has a tomb stone next to scotts in some romantic type gesture for the couple

To me Wolverines thing for Jean, has been more of a fantasy thing or maybe even obsession rather than anything else. In the movies Jean has never even said she loves logan, and she clearly loves Cyclops. Of course Cyclops was killed in X-3 and when ever Jean had control of Phoenix she wanted to be killed herself because she killed the man she loved.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #94
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:

Logan cared for, even loved, Jean Grey long before X3 - X3 didn't just pull it out of their butts, although it was handled in that movie completely wrong.

Remember the entire scene in X2 in the forest when he tried to kiss her, not to mention his reaction in X1 around her.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #95
BoredGuy
Killing Time

have we heard any mention of adamantium poisoning after he loses his powers??
I know its super nerdy, but I'd be kinda pissed if they don't mention it

Old 07-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #96
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I doubt it would be mentioned - it's not really necessary.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #97
icekid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because at the end of X3, he'd been forced to kill Jean, which is what he's struggling with at the start of this film. It's the part he'd played in her death.

And if what I've skimmed of the reviews is correct, he loses his healing factor because he's been poisoned, not because he's actively looking for a cure.. At least that's how I took it to mean.
Well thanks for clearing that up for me! This movie needs to get here right now! I have so many unanswered questions!

Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #98
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

yes i did find everyone praising the bullet train sequence. The clip of that fight was heavily edited and it reminded me a lot of Origins. hopefully its better like the critics say.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #99
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
Yeah that seems to be the general consensus thus far, that most people just like it, of course there are some that hate it and some that really love it, but so far most of the reviews think it's a decent film.
ya most people seems to like the story which can lead to a huge improvement over Origins. But yeah from what I can gather the action is taking a back seat to plot, which is weird for a Wolverine movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Wolverine said he is "not healing like before" from the trailer, which could mean that his healing is still intact, probably being most used up by Adamantium and he is mortal.

Last edited by darkslayer101; 07-17-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #100
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Closed Thread