The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #51
Joe Stubbs
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Thanks for the answer Moridin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
i thought all 3/5 reviews were rated as rotten?
The Total Film and digitalspy reviews are both 3/5 and rated as Fresh. Empire Magazine defines 3 stars as 'good' so I'm guessing their 3 star reviews mostly get listed as Fresh as well but I don't know.

Joe Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #52
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Default Re: "Are These All The Reviews You Brought?" -The Official Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think the Mirror reviewer raised valid points even if he was harsh and obviously disappointed. The Telegraph review was mostly nonsense.
I don't doubt it, but I just wanted to point out that Newspaper film reviewers are the worst reviewers on the planet, well at least in the UK where its just not a proper journalistic job, even if the scores were high I would say the exact same thing! They are just the least professional reviews around. Empire and Total Film are proper reviewers and can be relied upon to give a much fairer and honest review and just come across as if they know what they are talking about.

This is why I give no faith in RT and Metacritic scores, there is no weighting to the credibility of the reviewer. So a persons score is just taken at face value, a professional review means as much as a red top rag review done by someone who doesn't want to be in the job.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #53
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Stubbs View Post
Thanks for the answer Moridin.

The Total Film and digitalspy reviews are both 3/5 and rated as Fresh. Empire Magazine defines 3 stars as 'good' so I'm guessing their 3 star reviews mostly get listed as Fresh as well but I don't know.
If I remember correctly, the critic decides if they want the review to be listed as "fresh" or "rotten" when they submit their review.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #54
Sup3rman81
Banned User

I see the film finishing in the High to Mid 60's. Some of the news coming from the movie doesnt sound good at all.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
A robot Silver Samurai??
I feel Hugh will no doubt give a great performance but calling it the CBM of the year might be going to far.

Sup3rman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #55
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rman81 View Post
I feel Hugh will no doubt give a great performance but calling it the CBM of the year might be going to far.
Time will tell...

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #56
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
I don't doubt it, but I just wanted to point out that Newspaper film reviewers are the worst reviewers on the planet, well at least in the UK where its just not a proper journalistic job, even if the scores were high I would say the exact same thing! They are just the least professional reviews around. Empire and Total Film are proper reviewers and can be relied upon to give a much fairer and honest review and just come across as if they know what they are talking about.

This is why I give no faith in RT and Metacritic scores, there is no weighting to the credibility of the reviewer. So a persons score is just taken at face value, a professional review means as much as a red top rag review done by someone who doesn't want to be in the job.
It used to be more of a dedicated job in the UK press (though I don't know of specific training or organisations for critics existing here in the UK), but these days most of the critics are dinosaurs from a bygone age and are not connected to their audiences at all.

I'm different from that in that I am a bit of a fanboy in addition to being a trained and experienced journalist, so I am in touch with what's happening online. I've always thought that my strength was being able to bridge two worlds - mainstream and fandom.

Remarkably, I sat next to three people at the preview screening who had little knowledge of the X-Men franchise. One was a very pleasant and chatty writer from Norway who didn't really know anything about the X-Men and Wolverine (though he was set to interview Jackman today), one was a woman who didn't even know who/what Wolverine was (though she did know who Jackman was), and the other was some prissy French queen who said X-Men Origins: Wolverine was his favourite movie of all time and the only one he had on his mobile phone and watched repeatedly. I was astonished. They were all amazed I knew so much when I filled them in on the details. I was amazed they knew so little!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #57
J_Howlett
Side-Kick

Pulled this "Rotten" from RT.

Quote:
You'll be left wishing that it was a fun comic-book movie with some emotional weight, rather than a serious character study with a few exciting scenes.
Hmm I'm sorry but I'd much rather see a great character study with a few exciting scenes rather than another worn down comic book movie. Idk about you guys..

J_Howlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #58
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I see the film finishing in the High to Mid 60's. Some of the news coming from the movie doesnt sound good at all.
A robot Silver Samurai??
Not exactly. Read the spoiler at your own risk.

It's not a robot Silver Samurai. It appears to be at first but the big reveal is that someone thought to be already dead is actually inside it.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #59
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
A robot Silver Samurai??
Um.....Silver Samurai is not a robot in the movie.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #60
Joe Stubbs
Side-Kick

A negative review from the Guardian, 2/5, pretty much exactly what I would expect from a Guardian film review.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/...jackman-review

Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #61
kasjan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikt36 View Post
71%
It's only 7 reviews, wait when we'll have at least 71. It can be 90% or 40%, 7 reviews doesn't tell too much.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #62
Joe Stubbs
Side-Kick

A positive review from SFX, 4/5:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/07/18/the-wolverine-review/

Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #63
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If say the RT score would remain 71 that would be miles better than Last Stand
or origins.It would beat the score of Increidble Hulk,Batman(89) and Man of steel but be behind the rest of MS films,The Amazing Spider-Man,Superman Returns,The Nolan Batman films,Batman returns,SPider-man 1,and 2,Superman 1 and 2.

The RT score of X-Men films would go
1:First CLass
2:X2(although there Is only 1 point difference It and first Class)
3:X-Men
4:The Wolverine
5:X-Men the last Stand
6rigins

the superhero films of summer would go By RT score
1:Iron Man 3
2:The Wolverine
3:Man of steel

Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #64
kasjan
Side-Kick

We all know X2 was better than FC, so RT isn't oracle.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #65
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I was simply comparing RT film score to see how critical responses to films would shape up If the Wolverine stays at 71 percent fresh.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #66
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
We all know X2 was better than FC, so RT isn't oracle.
Hahah my sentiments exactly

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #67
Marvel
Side-Kick

Thumbs Up

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/0...rine-2013.html

"An interesting aspect of this film is that, although still an X-Men movie, this piece feels very much like a classic Gaijin in Japan story, which helps us to further understand Logan’s feelings of isolation. You could also view The Wolverine as a tale of an out-of-place samurai, something which is hinted at in the film and is furthered by the marketing in Japan referring to this as The Wolverine: A Ronin Story."

and

"a thoroughly entertaining and more surprising heartfelt installment in the X-Men universe. The unique story coupled with beautiful scenery, an excellent supporting cast and berserker rage suited only to our favourite hero make this a film that anyone can enjoy – though I suspect that die-hard Wolverine fans may enjoy it a little more. "

I love all the talk of placing character and story first. I've had enough of the video game movie CGI-fests this summer.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #68
MarvelU
Side-Kick

It is at 60% now, one rotten review added from Screen International.

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/t...e?referrer=RSS

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #69
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It used to be more of a dedicated job in the UK press (though I don't know of specific training or organisations for critics existing here in the UK), but these days most of the critics are dinosaurs from a bygone age and are not connected to their audiences at all.

I'm different from that in that I am a bit of a fanboy in addition to being a trained and experienced journalist, so I am in touch with what's happening online. I've always thought that my strength was being able to bridge two worlds - mainstream and fandom.

Remarkably, I sat next to three people at the preview screening who had little knowledge of the X-Men franchise. One was a very pleasant and chatty writer from Norway who didn't really know anything about the X-Men and Wolverine (though he was set to interview Jackman today), one was a woman who didn't even know who/what Wolverine was (though she did know who Jackman was), and the other was some prissy French queen who said X-Men Origins: Wolverine was his favourite movie of all time and the only one he had on his mobile phone and watched repeatedly. I was astonished. They were all amazed I knew so much when I filled them in on the details. I was amazed they knew so little!
Oh yes I was not implying you were in any way not capable of your job. You seem to be far more switched on, have done your research and have at least some knowledge of the film you were viewing, something I expect someone to have when reviewing a film they expect other people to read

You seem far more credible than these UK paper "reviewers" that are the only ones I have read so far to outright pan this film. But then again they usually give glowing reviews to some films that decent reviewers slam as being complete tosh. I shall do some digging but they just all smell fishy to me, always have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Stubbs View Post
A negative review from the Guardian, 2/5, pretty much exactly what I would expect from a Guardian film review.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/...jackman-review
Oh look as if to prove a point they just give me more perfect ammunition and make themselves look even more foolish

Perfect timing!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #70
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

After man of steel being rated rotten I hardly pay attention to rotten tomatoes. But still I hope this movie stays fresh

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #71
Sup3rman81
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
After man of steel being rated rotten I hardly pay attention to rotten tomatoes. But still I hope this movie stays fresh
Yea MOS proved RT is a flawed system for sure. When RT comes out and says MOS shouldn't be that low, that says something.

Wolverine now at 60%

Sup3rman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #72
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

55% now below MoS

Old 07-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #73
Snikt
Side-Kick

I'm also not really worried. Captain America started out horrible on RT. No way I thought it would end up "Certified Fresh."

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #74
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Im not worried at all, it will raise. look at all the positive review in this thread that haven't even been counted. I still stick to my 68% which is great imo.

also: Head over to the DOFP board, cast pics are up!

TWayneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #75
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWayneP View Post
Im not worried at all, it will raise. look at all the positive review in this thread that haven't even been counted. I still stick to my 68% which is great imo.

also: Head over to the DOFP board, cast pics are up!
Exactly, all I have read on here is mostly positive reviews, only two bad compared to about 8 or 9 good/positive. RT seems to have just picked the odd ones which are negative and ignored half the good ones.

Again very odd but not worth worrying about, at the end of the day there is only one review that counts.